East of Scotland Leagues

systemx

11 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Brilliant result for Linlithgow Rose today. Results haven't been great this season but that's a great GIRFUY to Brechin. 

Tbf they've been a lot better this season. Tommy Coyne must be pushing 40 these days, and that's years I mean, not stone. Still banging them in.

Still not a shadow of the outfit they were less than a decade ago.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• RobboM

• Tasavallan

• Thomaso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, RobboM said:

.... and that would affect the log jam of clubs already at that level.
If Linlithgow Rose, currently Tier 7, can beat them on their own patch they might regret dropping into an increasingly competitve Lowland League and, potentially, into the feeder leagues below that!

Thing with the lowland leagues is that when good junior teams entered they started on the lowest rung. That's fair enough but it leads to the various tiers being a bit imbalanced in terms of quality.

The bottom half of the lowland league would probably be in the bottom half of the EoS leagues whilst the top half of the EoS leagues would be very competitive in the Lowland League.

It will take a few years for all the teams to find their level. 

23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If they do end up in the Lowland League, then it would force the relegation of an additional club from the LL to the EOS/SOS/WOS leagues

Not necessarily a bad thing FF, too much dross in the LL. Needing a 2 up 2 down there, at least.

Footballfirst
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Not necessarily a bad thing FF, too much dross in the LL. Needing a 2 up 2 down there, at least.

I agree, but Brechin should be heading North. As @Smackposted above it will take a few years to sort out, although extra relegation places would help.

There is also the prospect, in the current set up, of WOS sides getting licensed and making their way into the LL ahead of EOS sides.

The last team to move north was Montrose Roselea who flitted around the different divisions of the East Region Juniors.  They are now a mid table side in the North Super League (Juniors)

38 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Nothing is saving Brechin this season

GTF

Understand your sentiments.

I would rather Albion " can't afford to travel to Brora" Rovers to go down than Brechin.

At least Brechin have a hedge 👍

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I agree, but Brechin should be heading North. As @Smackposted above it will take a few years to sort out, although extra relegation places would help.

There is also the prospect, in the current set up, of WOS sides getting licensed and making their way into the LL ahead of EOS sides.

The last team to move north was Montrose Roselea who flitted around the different divisions of the East Region Juniors.  They are now a mid table side in the North Super League (Juniors)

Hopefully, we will end up with Lowland West, central, East and Highland.

Lowland will soon be far stronger than Highland.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Understand your sentiments.

I would rather Albion " can't afford to travel to Brora" Rovers to go down than Brechin.

At least Brechin have a hedge 👍

Have a heart mate.

They'd have to supply packed lunches or buy a McDonald's for every player on these long journeys. And they would need to set off a few hours earlier, bless them.

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

100% this 👍

Hope not I want Tranent to go further earn more sheckles bring in players and get promotion to LL

And to think Tranent were two hours from closure in 2013

Edited by systemx

9 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hopefully, we will end up with Lowland West, central, East and Highland.

Lowland will soon be far stronger than Highland.

For overall strength, yes I agree. The Highland League 'big guns' are still going to be formidable at that level. 

The setup is blundering its way towards being pretty fair. As you and FF mention, more fluidity in terms of promotion/relegation is needed, at least in the short term.

5 minutes ago, systemx said:

Hope not I want Tranent to go further earn more sheckles bring in players and get promotion to LL

And to think Tranent were two hours from closure in 2013

You picked me up wrong systemx, I was only referrring to the Brechin comment.
I'd be quite happy for the EoS teams to progress. Last season's cup runs were really exciting and added a lot to the Cup for me.

23 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Disappointing result for Spartans today.

Stranraer has been playing well lately,they emptied hamilton in the league cup and should have beat Ayr as well but got beat on a shoot out

On 26/12/2020 at 17:47, Footballfirst said:

Keith beat HOB 4-2 aet.

Nairn beat Broxburn in a penalty shoot out.

Very harsh on Broxburn - what appeared to be a perfectly good goal in the 119th minute was chalked off - still not sure why.

Footballfirst

The 2020/21 EOS premier champion (Tranent?) could have more competition for a Lowland League spot, particularly if some of the WOS clubs get their SFA license during the latest licensing round.  I know that Clydebank (currently top of the WOS Premier League) already have floodlights and are looking to resurrect SPFL football in the town.

Earlier today, Kilwinning confirmed that they had started work on their floodlights and new covered areas.  Darvel also confirmed that they had been granted planning permission for their floodlights as they too are progressing with their licence application.   

Edited by Footballfirst

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

The 2020/21 EOS premier champion (Tranent?) could have more competition for a Lowland League spot, particularly if some of the WOS clubs get their SFA license during the latest licensing round.  I know that Clydebank (currently top of the WOS Premier League) already have floodlights and are looking to resurrect SPFL football in the town.

Earlier today, Kilwinning confirmed that they had started work on their floodlights and new covered areas.  Darvel also confirmed that they had been granted planning permission for their floodlights as they too are progressing with their licence application.   

You are correct, but they get audited in February and must be fully compliant by then.  Lots of work to get done.  But where there's will and finance.......

Not only Clydebank but Darvel are seemingly going for it too. They hope to have their lights up in the New Year and with financial banking from Brownings, so again no reason to suspect they wont get there in time.

Can't remember if it was Kilwinning or Irvine Meadow that said there was too much work to be done this year, but I think its true for both regardless. I haven't seen anything about licencing from anyone else that might end up a title contender.

In any case I reckon its clydebank that are the biggest threat to tranent as they are a decent team and have spent significantly on getting up before auchinleck return from their Disgraceful fearty cat year out. 

Niemi’s gloves

I’m confused on eligibility for the Scottish Cup. Dundonald Bluebell are at “home” to Queen’s Park live on BBC Scotland. But it’s being played at Kelty’s ground. Don’t clubs need an adequate ground of their own before they get a licence that lets them play in the cup?

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I’m confused on eligibility for the Scottish Cup. Dundonald Bluebell are at “home” to Queen’s Park live on BBC Scotland. But it’s being played at Kelty’s ground. Don’t clubs need an adequate ground of their own before they get a licence that lets them play in the cup?

Dundonald has a licensed ground, but it is prone to becoming waterlogged, hence the decision to switch the tie to another licensed ground to assure themselves that the live TV coverage (and the money that goes with it) went ahead. 

Niemi’s gloves
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Dundonald has a licensed ground, but it is prone to becoming waterlogged, hence the decision to switch the tie to another licensed ground to assure themselves that the live TV coverage (and the money that goes with it) went ahead. 

Thanks, FF.  

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I thought the rule was they would have to switch to Hampden if not able to play at home ground.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I thought the rule was they would have to switch to Hampden if not able to play at home ground.

No. You can switch grounds for safety reasons e.g. Bonnyrigg played Hibs at Tynecastle a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

No. You can switch grounds for safety reasons e.g. Bonnyrigg played Hibs at Tynecastle a few years ago.

have heard that for safety reasons or there has been more than one postponement but not for a pitch

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

have heard that for safety reasons or there has been more than one postponement but not for a pitch

From the rules

13. GROUNDS FOR TIES Notwithstanding anything which is contained in Rule 11 if a club notifies the Scottish FA that it considers that its registered ground as detailed in the Official Return (Rule 6 and the Articles of Association refer) is unsuitable for the playing of a Cup match for whatever reason, or if the Secretary considers that a club’s registered ground is unsuitable for the playing of a Cup match for whatever reason, and (in either case) the Board is satisfied of the validity of such reason, the match shall be played at the nearest available registered ground of at least equivalent capacity which in the opinion of the Board is most suitable for the occasion. If a replay should be necessary, it will take place at the ground of its opponents. If more than one club from the same city or town or with the same nominated registered ground is drawn to play at home in the same Round and it is deemed, for whatever reason, that their matches cannot be played on the same day or at the same kick-off time then the clubs shall decide in rotation as to which club has the choice as to when the notifying club’s match is played. 

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

From the rules

13. GROUNDS FOR TIES Notwithstanding anything which is contained in Rule 11 if a club notifies the Scottish FA that it considers that its registered ground as detailed in the Official Return (Rule 6 and the Articles of Association refer) is unsuitable for the playing of a Cup match for whatever reason, or if the Secretary considers that a club’s registered ground is unsuitable for the playing of a Cup match for whatever reason, and (in either case) the Board is satisfied of the validity of such reason, the match shall be played at the nearest available registered ground of at least equivalent capacity which in the opinion of the Board is most suitable for the occasion. If a replay should be necessary, it will take place at the ground of its opponents. If more than one club from the same city or town or with the same nominated registered ground is drawn to play at home in the same Round and it is deemed, for whatever reason, that their matches cannot be played on the same day or at the same kick-off time then the clubs shall decide in rotation as to which club has the choice as to when the notifying club’s match is played. 

👍 though out with Covid times I don’t believe this would have been approved 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

👍 though out with Covid times I don’t believe this would have been approved 

Quite the contrary. I'm sure that the authorities would be happier with fewer "hub" grounds being used for all games. That way they could be better assured of availability and quality of facilities.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Quite the contrary. I'm sure that the authorities would be happier with fewer "hub" grounds being used for all games. That way they could be better assured of availability and quality of facilities.

Don’t think the Queen’s Park players will

fancy the journey home with no showers

allowed after the game and straight on the bus after a snow Storm and freezing temperatures 

On 28/12/2020 at 09:19, wmd said:

Some good goals across the games. Agree Broxburn must be wondering why their goal wasn't given.

Where can I find this, thanks?

Footballfirst

Good to see Musselburgh progressing towards its SFA licence.

It also highlights the contrast with HMFC and FOH Boards who have failed to facilitate a means for shareholders and members to participate in real time at their respective AGMs.

1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

most sensible. Well done

Even with an exemption, my lad was finding it difficult to travel for training and games.

2 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Even with an exemption, my lad was finding it difficult to travel for training and games.

yep I know 2 who were travelling 40+ miles for training and think it was time to pause the leagues, even for a couple of weeks as they are doing.  

12 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Image may contain: text that says "East Region SJFA @eastregion_sjfa Statement from the East Region East Region EGIONOF At meeting the SJFA Management Committee held on Thursday evening was agreed by the East and North Regions, supported by the SJFA, 19 restrictions mind, and with McBOOKE.COM to suspend the with review to take place rrent season until February 6th, ate January. enable us to Whilst we have an professional sport exemption to was felt that with suspension, view to restarting as soon as safe and practical was the best decision at this time East Region of the SJFA"

NB Just to be clear this is the East Juniors NOT the East of Scotland League. East Juniors are a 1 divison, 12 team, league of West Lothian teams and a 1 divison,17 teams, from north of the River Tay.

18 minutes ago, RobboM said:

NB Just to be clear this is the East Juniors NOT the East of Scotland League. East Juniors are a 1 divison, 12 team, league of West Lothian teams and a 1 divison,17 teams, from north of the River Tay.

Correct (ish)  East Region Juniors has 2 Divisions (South and North) broken down to 2 leagues each: North Premier & North Super (18 teams from Perth & Angus lying north of the Tay) and South Premier & South Super.   You are correct that the South Super is 10 teams: 7 from West Lothian and 3 from Fife while South Premier is 4 teams from Stirling/Falkirk, 3 from Fife and 3 from WL.

Scottish Junior Football Association - East Region (ultrasoft2.co.uk)

11 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Correct (ish)  East Region Juniors has 2 Divisions (South and North) broken down to 2 leagues each: North Premier & North Super (18 teams from Perth & Angus lying north of the Tay) and South Premier & South Super.   You are correct that the South Super is 10 teams: 7 from West Lothian and 3 from Fife while South Premier is 4 teams from Stirling/Falkirk, 3 from Fife and 3 from WL.

Not any longer. All the Fife teams have moved to the East of Scotland leagues. See the latest table, no league to promote into or relegate into. The Bo'ness and Sauchie teams are not the "real" ones but former amateur sides/community sides

image.png.bfef3eae7d07027319d8de707359d645.png

24 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

That's not right. There are only two leagues left in the East juniors. A north league (17 teams) and a south league (12 teams). It reduced to one division for each after more clubs left for the East of Scotland League last summer. The East juniors is on its last legs. The tables listed on the juniors site are last seasons.

Added to that, our potential cup opponents Camelon Juniors (despite the name) are no longer in the juniors but now in the senior East of Scotland League. 

Edited by Stanley_

2 hours ago, Stanley_ said:

That's not right. There are only two leagues left in the East juniors. A north league (17 teams) and a south league (12 teams). It reduced to one division for each after more clubs left for the East of Scotland League last summer. The East juniors is on its last legs. The tables listed on the juniors site are last seasons.

Added to that, our potential cup opponents Camelon Juniors (despite the name) are no longer in the juniors but now in the senior East of Scotland League. 

I apologise, I was posting what I received from the club secretary and did not check it.  This is the current Superleague South but I am not vouching for its accuracy.

Season 2020/21

McBookie Super League South
Pos Team P W D L F A W D L F A GD Pts
1 Sygenta 4 1 1 1 8 3 1 0 0 6 1 10 7
2 Bo'ness United Junior 3 2 0 0 5 1 0 1 0 1 1 4 7
3 Armadale Thistle 2 1 0 0 6 1 1 0 0 2 1 6 6
4 West Calder United 2 1 0 1 6 2 0 0 0 0 0 4 3
5 Fauldhouse United 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 1 1 3
6 Whitburn Juniors 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 4 4 0 3
7 Livingston United 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
8 Stoneyburn Juniors 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
9 Harthill Royal 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 6 -5 0
10 Pumpherston Juniors 1 0 0 1 1 6 0 0 0 0 0 -5 0
11 Bathgate Thistle 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 7 -7 0
12 Sauchie Juniors Community 2 0 0 1 1 3 0 0 1 0 6 -8 0

Footballfirst

I believe that all the tier 5/6/7 leagues are meeting next week to consider what to do about the lockdown.

Dalbeatie has already written to the SLFL asking for the LL to be halted.

Nithsdale Wanderers from the SOSFL pulled out of their South Challenge Cup tie against Thornton that was due to be played today.

Edited by Footballfirst

East of Scotland League board meeting on Thursday. Lowland League tomorrow night.  Some clubs want to suspend the leagues for a few weeks until we get a grip if this. Right thing to do.

Very unlucky today for the Lowland & East of Scotland league sides.

Summed up well by the Eos Facebook page post:

"Bonnyrigg can consider themselves extremely unfortunate to have conceded an equaliser deep inside injury time. Dundee deserved their win ultimately but it was hard lines on the Rose heroes.

Kelty were two up on Stranraer but conceded a last minute winner at Starks Park. Linlithgow were briefly ahead at Forfar and level after ninety minutes before going down in extra time, and Tranent led East Fife for the best part of forty minutes only to have the stuffing knocked out of them by two goals approaching half-time."

• 1 month later...

I understand that reps from the East Region Juniors met this week and rumour is that they will apply to join the pyramid for next season. 

54 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I understand that reps from the East Region Juniors met this week and rumour is that they will apply to join the pyramid for next season. 

Where are you hearing this Tas? Most of the clubs from the East Region Juniors have already left to join the pyramid. From those remaining Whitburn have announced that they have applied but have so far left it open whether they apply to the East or the West. Livingston Utd applied too late for the EoS last season and are expected to see that through for next season. Lots of rumours about other West Lothian clubs but remember the East RegionJuniors includes clubs north of the Tay and therefore into Highland League territory. As the East league already stretches down to the border and beyond I can't see there being any appetite for league matches between sides based deep in the Borders and teams as far North as Forfar.