East of Scotland Leagues

systemx

Niemi’s gloves
41 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Reading the local newspaper report it looks like Musselburgh got a rough deal from the referee! 

erm.... I’m guessing that wouldn’t be the local newspaper in Wick

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• RobboM

• Tasavallan

• Thomaso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

erm.... I’m guessing that wouldn’t be the local newspaper in Wick

You guess wrong - the report was in the John O’Groat Journal.

brunstanejambo
15 hours ago, JTJ said:

Rules are rules - don't enter the cup if you can't put out a team. Similar sounds to Albion Rovers claiming it's too far to Brora to have them in the league as "we can't afford the bus fares."

I'm reminded of the very first league season in 1890 when Morton or some other Western team moaned about having to come to play Hearts in Edinburgh. Hearts' answer was "we have to go to the Glasgow area every second week!" (Hearts were the only non-West team).

In fairness to the club I don't think that they complained about the rescheduling.

It is the fans that have (rightly in my opinion) been pointing out the absurdity of having to travel 270 miles at the 4th attempt to play the game. 

A more pragmatic approach would surely have been to play at a neutral venue midway after the 2nd or 3rd call off due to the Wick pitch being unplayable. 

Rules are rules as you say, and surely one of them should be "don't enter the Cup if you can't ensure your pitch will be payable" 

2 hours ago, brunstanejambo said:

In fairness to the club I don't think that they complained about the rescheduling.

It is the fans that have (rightly in my opinion) been pointing out the absurdity of having to travel 270 miles at the 4th attempt to play the game. 

A more pragmatic approach would surely have been to play at a neutral venue midway after the 2nd or 3rd call off due to the Wick pitch being unplayable. 

Rules are rules as you say, and surely one of them should be "don't enter the Cup if you can't ensure your pitch will be payable" 

Yes, I do agree -  especially with no crowds, a neutral (even plastic) venue should have been considered in Inverness. It is a mere 2 hrs by road from Wick to Inverness 😃, but would have helped both teams.

Anyway, good luck to the Scorries in the next round!

Niemi’s gloves
9 hours ago, Thomaso said:

You guess wrong - the report was in the John O’Groat Journal.

Apologies, I’ve now read it.. Actually, it’s good to see that decent quality local sports journalism still exists. Shame that the EEN doesn’t match that standard. 

2 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Apologies, I’ve now read it.. Actually, it’s good to see that decent quality local sports journalism still exists. Shame that the EEN doesn’t match that standard. 

👍

Footballfirst

Scottish Cup 1st Round on Saturday.

Some good ties involving East sides in the offing.

Berwick Rangers v. Stirling Albion
Bonnyrigg Rose v. Bo'ness
Brechin v. Linlithgow Rose
Camelon v. Brora Rangers
Cowdenbeath v. Wick Academy
Edinburgh City v. Caledonian Braves
Elgin City v. CSS
Gala Fairydean Rovers v. Annan Athletic
Haddington Athletic v. Formartine
Keith v. Hill of Beath
Kelty Hearts v. Jeanfield Swifts
Lothian Thistle HV v.Banks O' Dee
Nairn County v. Broxburn
Stenhousemuir v. Preston Athletic
Stranraer v. The Spartans
Tranent v. East Stirlingshire
Dundonald Bluebell v. Queen's Park (Monday live on TV)

10 hours ago, JTJ said:

Yes, I do agree -  especially with no crowds, a neutral (even plastic) venue should have been considered in Inverness. It is a mere 2 hrs by road from Wick to Inverness 😃, but would have helped both teams.

Anyway, good luck to the Scorries in the next round!

Wick is in Tier 1 so there was a sell out crowd of 300 there

13 hours ago, brunstanejambo said:

Fans?? Really.

Surely they shouldn't have been travelling.

Your having a laugh if you really think Wick could meet half way. Why would they?

As @RobboM stated, the games were postponed well in advance.

brunstanejambo
54 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Fans?? Really.

Your having a laugh if you really think Wick could meet half way. Why would they?

Apologies that I wasn't clear - fans did not travel but were rightly pointing out that part time players travelling 270 miles to play a rescheduled game on a Monday night was absurd. 

Especially considering that these players all have jobs that they had to try and get time off from. Many of the Musselburgh players could not get time off at such short notice (you try asking for a 3rd time for a shift to be covered at 2days notice the week of Christmas) which resulted in several of their regular starters missing the game and a 3man bench consisting of the assistant coach and 2 u20 players.

I'm not blaming Wick for not meeting halfway as the rules don't say that they have to.The rules should have some consideration / contingency for this type of situation though.

I don't think that it is unreasonable for there to be a rule along the lines of what they have in youth football for these early rounds of the Scottish Cup where only part time teams are involved - home team gets 3 chances to host the fixture, and if they can't then the fixture should be reversed or played at a neutral ground. 

If I was a cynic I would maybe say that Wick didn't make much of an effort to get their pitch playable for last Saturday, knowing that the game being rescheduled to Monday night would most likely mean an under strength musselburgh team to play against... 

And it would now appear that Wick and their fans are not happy at the fact that the next round (away to Cowdenbeath) is to be played on Boxing day as they have asked the SFA for the game to be moved.

Seems that they don't like having to travel a long way at short notice.

6 minutes ago, brunstanejambo said:

Apologies that I wasn't clear - fans did not travel but were rightly pointing out that part time players travelling 270 miles to play a rescheduled game on a Monday night was absurd. 

Especially considering that these players all have jobs that they had to try and get time off from. Many of the Musselburgh players could not get time off at such short notice (you try asking for a 3rd time for a shift to be covered at 2days notice the week of Christmas) which resulted in several of their regular starters missing the game and a 3man bench consisting of the assistant coach and 2 u20 players.

I'm not blaming Wick for not meeting halfway as the rules don't say that they have to.The rules should have some consideration / contingency for this type of situation though.

I don't think that it is unreasonable for there to be a rule along the lines of what they have in youth football for these early rounds of the Scottish Cup where only part time teams are involved - home team gets 3 chances to host the fixture, and if they can't then the fixture should be reversed or played at a neutral ground. 

If I was a cynic I would maybe say that Wick didn't make much of an effort to get their pitch playable for last Saturday, knowing that the game being rescheduled to Monday night would most likely mean an under strength musselburgh team to play against... 

And it would now appear that Wick and their fans are not happy at the fact that the next round (away to Cowdenbeath) is to be played on Boxing day as they have asked the SFA for the game to be moved.

👍 I remember back in 80s maybe 70s. Elgin? Were due to play Falkirk. It was an horrendous frozen winter. It was postponed over 20 times, I'm sure.

I don't know how clubs like Wick, Fort William manage to survive, their travels in the HL can be up to 4 hours.

I certainly don't want Brora into the SPFL, can put up with the distance, just the size of the town and club offer nothing.

Much rather see an Ayrshire or central belt side if we must. 

brunstanejambo
5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

👍 I remember back in 80s maybe 70s. Elgin? Were due to play Falkirk. It was an horrendous frozen winter. It was postponed over 20 times, I'm sure.

I don't know how clubs like Wick, Fort William manage to survive, their travels in the HL can be up to 4 hours.

I certainly don't want Brora into the SPFL, can put up with the distance, just the size of the town and club offer nothing.

Wasn't aware of that so did a quick Google - turns out it was postponed 29 times 😲

But that wasn't the most postponed SC game according to the article I read. 

Airdrie v Stranraer postponed 33 times in 1963!! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2006/mar/22/theknowledge.sport

Know what you mean about how these clubs survive. Tiny crowds but lots of expense is a tough equation. Just shows that at that level the players and fans are in it for the love of the game and not the glory. 

1 hour ago, brunstanejambo said:

No offence but this isn't boys club football, it is the Scottish Cup. That's why clubs entering are licenced for their ground and part of that requirement includes floodlights for midweek games. I certainly feel some sympathy for Musselburgh, that was a tough draw in all senses, but is also is comes with the territory of playing in the Scottish Cup.

i was equally dubious about Wick's postponements but these are done only by independent officials and, having seen the highlights of the match, their pitch is in poor condition after the eather they've had.

I would have liked to see Musselburgh get through, it would have given my laddie Boxing day off as they now play Blackburn instead 😉

brunstanejambo
33 minutes ago, RobboM said:

No offence but this isn't boys club football, it is the Scottish Cup. That's why clubs entering are licenced for their ground and part of that requirement includes floodlights for midweek games. I certainly feel some sympathy for Musselburgh, that was a tough draw in all senses, but is also is comes with the territory of playing in the Scottish Cup.

i was equally dubious about Wick's postponements but these are done only by independent officials and, having seen the highlights of the match, their pitch is in poor condition after the eather they've had.

I would have liked to see Musselburgh get through, it would have given my laddie Boxing day off as they now play Blackburn instead 😉

None taken, and having seen the state of the Wick pitch I'd question whether it was really playable on Monday either.

What's done is done though and it's back to league business this weekend against Blackburn I see. You can at least tell your laddie that Olivebank was looking playable when I drove past it earlier today. 

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Fans?? Really.

Hardly - they might have been called off the day before but that doesn’t give a part time Club much notice to change transport plans, arrange for players to get time off work, etc.

6 minutes ago, brunstanejambo said:

None taken, and having seen the state of the Wick pitch I'd question whether it was really playable on Monday either.

What's done is done though and it's back to league business this weekend against Blackburn I see. You can at least tell your laddie that Olivebank was looking playable when I drove past it earlier today. 

The pitch was a shocker!

2 hours ago, brunstanejambo said:

There is no doubt that the game being played on a Monday night was a massive advantage to Wick!

Having watched the highlights the local referee seemed to give them another massive advantage!

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

It was the bad winter of 1978/79. Therefore the 1979 competition.

On 23/12/2020 at 14:13, Footballfirst said:

Scottish Cup 1st Round on Saturday.

Some good ties involving East sides in the offing.

Camelon v. Brora Rangers
Elgin City v. CSS
Keith v. Hill of Beath
Lothian Thistle HV v.Banks O' Dee
Nairn County v. Broxburn

anyone particularly favourite to go through?

Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Camelon v. Brora Rangers
Elgin City v. CSS
Keith v. Hill of Beath
Lothian Thistle HV v. Banks O' Dee
Nairn County v. Broxburn
Dundonald Bluebell v. Queen's Park

Those in bold are my expectations, although I hope that the likes of Linlithgow and Tranent can beat higher ranked opponents.  Bonnyrigg v Bo'ness would be my choice of games to attend if it was possible.

32 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Camelon v. Brora Rangers
Elgin City v. CSS
Keith v. Hill of Beath
Nairn County v. Broxburn

Those in bold are my expectations, although I hope that the likes of Linlithgow and Tranent can beat higher ranked opponents.  Bonnyrigg v Bo'ness would be my choice of games to attend if it was possible.

Hoping that some of the wee teams get through for a bit cash 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Camelon v. Brora Rangers
Elgin City v. CSS
Keith v. Hill of Beath
Nairn County v. Broxburn

Do you know what tier the north super league equals?

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Hesh said:

Do you know what tier the north super league equals?

The one licensed NSL side Banks O' Dee were invited to join the HL (Tier 5), but declined.

As an individual side they would probably sit comfortably in the top half of HL, but the general strength of the NSL isn't that strong, so as such their teams would be spread over tiers 6 and 7 (at best) if pitted against the EOS and WOS sides at that level.

You can see the difference in the relative standards within the NSL when you look at the league table from last season.

https://www.scottishjuniorfa.com/north-region/mcbookie-league-tables/

Edited by Footballfirst

2 hours ago, Hesh said:

I watched Brora take 10 off Fort William at the weekend. Admittedly FW were down to 10 men after 25 minutes but by that time they were already 5 down. Brora are not a bad side with a bit of pace to them.

On 24/12/2020 at 16:27, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

All potential opponents for Hearts in round 2.

20 winners plus League 1 and Championship teams in round 2.

Do we not start in Round 3?

Footballfirst
18 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Do we not start in Round 3?

The format has changed a bit this year with newly licensed teams.  Hearts do enter at the Round 2 stage with the Premiership sides coming in Round 3 (last 32).

The 2nd round draw is on Monday evening at 7:15 on youtube/facebook/twitter.

Games due to be played on 9 January.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst
38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Another long midweek journey. Only 168 miles.

I'm surprised that only one game has been called off so far, given the forecast. 

On 24/12/2020 at 15:22, Footballfirst said:

Camelon v. Brora Rangers
Elgin City v. CSS
Keith v. Hill of Beath
Nairn County v. Broxburn

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Both now FT
Well done both!

Delighted that Brechin has been emptied. Incidentally, Rory Currie scored Brechin's opening goal.

Tranent v Hearts in the next round?

Edited by Footballfirst

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Delighted that Brechin has been emptied. Incidentally, Rory Currie scored Brechin's opening goal.

Tranent v Hearts in the next round?

100% this 👍

Had a few quid on some multiples including Linlithgow Rose and Tranent, both at 3/1. Unfortunately Keith let me down for a major win, but still coming out ahead.

Footballfirst

Albion Rovers 0-3 Buckie Thistle

Berwick Rangers 0-3 Stirling Albion
Bonnyrigg Rose P-P Bo'ness
Brechin 2-3 Linlithgow Rose
Camelon A-A Brora Rangers
Cowdenbeath 2-0 Wick Academy
Edinburgh City 3-1 Caledonian Braves
Elgin City 4-0 CSS
Gala Fairydean Rovers 1-2 Annan Athletic
Haddington Athletic 1-2 Formartine
Keith 2-2 Hill of Beath .....     (ET being played - currently 4-2)
Kelty Hearts 2-1. Jeanfield Swifts
Lothian Thistle HV 0-3 Banks O' Dee
Nairn County 0-0 Broxburn (ET being played)

Rothes 1-3 Fraserburgh
Stenhousemuir 4-1 Preston Athletic
Stranraer 5-0 The Spartans
Tranent 4-1 East Stirlingshire

2 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Nothing is saving Brechin this season

GTF

There's still a big question mark over whether Brechin would drop into the Highland League or the Lowland League.
It should be a non issue as there is a stipulated dividing line of latitude for the two parts of the Pyraid which runs along the middle of the Tay bridge.
However, Brechin don't fancy that and used their position to effectively blackmail a place in the Lowland league if they were relegated. It stinks. Hope they get relegated just to clear them out of a position of influence.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, RobboM said:

There's still a big question mark over whether Brechin would drop into the Highland League or the Lowland League.
It should be a non issue as there is a stipulated dividing line of latitude for the two parts of the Pyraid which runs along the middle of the Tay bridge.
However, Brechin don't fancy that and used their position to effectively blackmail a place in the Lowland league if they were relegated. It stinks. Hope they get relegated just to clear them out of a position of influence.

If they do end up in the Lowland League, then it would force the relegation of an additional club from the LL to the EOS/SOS/WOS leagues

Central Belt 1874

Brilliant result for Linlithgow Rose today. Results haven't been great this season but that's a great GIRFUY to Brechin. 

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If they do end up in the Lowland League, then it would force the relegation of an additional club from the LL to the EOS/SOS/WOS leagues

.... and that would affect the log jam of clubs already at that level.
If Linlithgow Rose, currently Tier 7, can beat them on their own patch they might regret dropping into an increasingly competitve Lowland League and, potentially, into the feeder leagues below that!