New Quantum Computer

FWJ

1 minute ago, FWJ said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-50154993

Did a calculation in 200 seconds that would take the fastest current supercomputer 10,000 years.

Can anyone explain - to someone who still doesn’t understand electricity - how this works?

Slavery! We'll need to head to Mars to get away from our new Master.

I can't explain it (they say that if you can explain quantum mechanics then you don't properly understand it ;)), but I can point you towards the suggestion that the claim of "quantum supremacy" in this case has been overstated by Google:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/22/ibm_poopoos_google_quantum_claims/

https://www.quantamagazine.org/john-preskill-explains-quantum-supremacy-20191002/

Edited by redjambo

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I can't explain it (they say that if you can explain quantum mechanics then you don't properly understand it ;)), but I can point you towards the suggestion that the claim of "quantum supremacy" in this case has been overstated by Google:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/22/ibm_poopoos_google_quantum_claims/

https://www.quantamagazine.org/john-preskill-explains-quantum-supremacy-20191002/

What's your opinion, Red. Do you think we should be creating this sort of thing?

Just now, ri Alban said:

What's your opinion, Red. Do you think we should be creating this sort of thing?

Absolutely, ri. The same question could have been used (and probably was) when standard computing was developed. It's merely all about making computers faster and computationally more powerful, and shouldn't be conflated with the development of artificial intelligence and the  potential outcome of Skynet.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Absolutely, ri. The same question could have been used (and probably was) when standard computing was developed. It's merely all about making computers faster and computationally more powerful, and shouldn't be conflated with the development of artificial intelligence and the  potential outcome of Skynet.

👍 Cheers.

I just don't like the thought of the mass production of Robots. How many before it's a new species and they become slaves. Or they make us, theirs.

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

👍 Cheers.

I just don't like the thought of the mass production of Robots. How many before it's a new species and they become slaves. Or they make us, theirs.

What do you mean by robots though? We already have large numbers of skilled robots that make our cars and other production-line goods, for example. Do you mean robots that have artificial intelligence and, more importantly, self-learning capabilities? If so, I probably agree, but then again I am a sci-fi fan. :D

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

What do you mean by robots though? We already have large numbers of skilled robots that make our cars and other production-line goods, for example. Do you mean robots that have artificial intelligence and, more importantly, self-learning capabilities? If so, I probably agree, but then again I am a sci-fi fan. :D

Aye :D

17 hours ago, FWJ said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-50154993

Did a calculation in 200 seconds that would take the fastest current supercomputer 10,000 years.

Can anyone explain - to someone who still doesn’t understand electricity - how this works?

As soon as an AI can link to a quantum computer we're going to be in for some interesting times. 

11 hours ago, FWJ said:

I’m not sure.  Like Heisenberg....

🙂

I'm no science professor, but as simple as I can explain the little I know:

Our currently computing is done in bits.  0 and 1s, or on and offs.  In quantum computing, it can be both at the same time.  Yep.  Both.  At the same time.  It is measured in qubits.

Think of a cubit as a sphere, and instead of it all being filled, or all being empty.  Think of a small dot within that and marking its location, kinda like x, y co-ordinates.  This is all done at a sub atom level, so it is tiny.  It can be both a dot there and somewhere else within the qubit, and everything in between, which means an enormous amount of calculations can be done quickly. 

qubit.png

Every single thing you are currently looking at on your screen is broken down and stored as bits.  That takes up space on a hard disk or other storage media.  Quantum computing allows huge amounts of data to be stored in tiny tiny tiny places as within just one of these bits we currently use, you could store bazillions of information in quantum computing.  

The main thing about quantum computing is the speed it is able to do calculations, which when it comes down to it, all computers are just large calculators.  The advantage with that is not just the speed in which it does everything, but how much energy is used to do and store these calculations.  Currently we need to use huge amounts of energy to do these quantum calculations as it is all relatively new and mysterious to us.  But there may come a point where we can essentially get quantum computers down to a size that people use.   

Remember, the first computers used to take up entire floors/buildings in Universities/labs.  Now we have more computing power in 1 watch than that entire building.  The watch obviously take less power to run than that entire building, and may even be solar or kinetically powered.

This is very important, as according to Moore's Law, we will essentially run out of energy in our Solar System due to the amount we are exponentially using on computing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

The is also Koomey's Law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koomey's_law

Tl;dr

It means humans reach Level 2 Space Travellers

Anyone else feel free to jump in if anything is wrong/badly explained.

Edited by Lovecraft

Walter Payton
34 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

🙂

Our currently computing is done in bits.  0 and 1s, or on and offs.  In quantum computing, it can be both at the same time.  Yep.  Both.  At the same time.  It is measured in qubits.

Think of a cubit as a sphere, and instead of it all being filled, or all being empty.  Think of a small dot within that and marking its location, kinda like x, y co-ordinates.  This is all done at a sub atom level, so it is tiny.  It can be both a dot there and somewhere else within the qubit, and everything in between, which means an enormous amount of calculations can be done quickly. 

qubit.png

Every single thing you are currently looking at on your screen is broken down and stored as bits.  That takes up space on a hard disk or other storage media.  Quantum computing allows huge amounts of data to be stored in tiny tiny tiny places as within just one of these bits we currently use, you could store bazillions of information in quantum computing.  

The main thing about quantum computing is the speed it is able to do calculations, which when it comes down to it, all computers are just large calculators.  The advantage with that is not just the speed in which it does everything, but how much energy is used to do and store these calculations.  Currently we need to use huge amounts of energy to do these quantum calculations as it is all relatively new and mysterious to us.  But there may come a point where we can essentially get quantum computers down to a size that people use.   

Remember, the first computers used to take up entire floors/buildings in Universities/labs.  Now we have more computing power in 1 watch than that entire building.  The watch obviously take less power to run than that entire building, and may even be solar or kinetically powered.

This is very important, as according to Moore's Law, we will essentially run out of energy in our Solar System due to the amount we are exponentially using on computing.

Tl;dr

That's all well and good, but can it run Football Manager with all the leagues?

1 minute ago, Bring on the Future said:

That's all well and good, but can it run Football Manager with all the leagues?

No, or run Crysis in Ultra mode.

🙂

But seriously, every version of Football Manager ever on every PC, running with all the leagues on, large database, calculated outcomes up until 2200.

Bam!    It's all done.

2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

🙂

qubit.png

The is also Koomey's Law

Tl;dr

Thank you for taking the time to explain. 

(I’m always minded of JPS Haldane’s quote  “... the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose”)

21 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's inevitable. In fact, it has already started.

I recommend you read a book called "Homo Deus, a brief history of tomorrow" by Yuval Harari.  Or you can read the synopsis at this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_Deus:_A_Brief_History_of_Tomorrow

You'll be especially interested in the part of the book where he discusses where homo sapiens loses control and is replaced by super-men, half man half computer. 

47 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's inevitable. In fact, it has already started.

I recommend you read a book called "Homo Deus, a brief history of tomorrow" by Yuval Harari.  Or you can read the synopsis at this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_Deus:_A_Brief_History_of_Tomorrow

You'll be especially interested in the part of the book where he discusses where homo sapiens loses control and is replaced by super-men, half man half computer. 

:thumb:

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

(I’m always minded of JPS Haldane’s quote  “... the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose”)

Nice quote, and pretty much bang on.

No pun intended.  😉

As far as our tiny little collective minds can interpret just now, the universe is made up of 68% dark energy, 27% dark matter and 5% normal matter.   We don't know what dark matter or dark energy is.

giphy.gif

Brighton Jambo
17 hours ago, FWJ said:

That’s a great quote, I had never heard that before.

thats confirms one point I make a lot.  The whole concept of what came before.  So science suggests a Big Bang, but what was there before that happened.  And the answer is nothing.  So where there is now trillions upon trillions of the universe there was nothing.  How can there be nothing at all?!  My little brain can’t compute that.  

17 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

thats confirms one point I make a lot.  The whole concept of what came before.  So science suggests a Big Bang, but what was there before that happened.  And the answer is nothing.  So where there is now trillions upon trillions of the universe there was nothing.  How can there be nothing at all?!  My little brain can’t compute that.  

The fact you've put it like that means you compute it pretty well I think! I mean, step one is just realising there's a difference between "emptiness" and "nothing"! :lol:

Yeah, it's absolutely a mind bender, and I totally agree, can't work it out for the life of me. Love it though. I can still vividly remember the moment I had an epiphany as to why time dilation occurs and how general relativity explains it--I never felt so fascinated by the universe in my life!

Mass and Energy are interchangable.

Before the Big Bang there was only Energy.

After the Big Bang, some of that Energy was converted into Mass, which then built everything you can see or feel.

And some things you can't (dark matter).

On the subject of quantum computers:

Traditional "bits" in a computer have a set binary value of 1 or 0.

Every bit has to be read by the central processor when doing a task.

Depending on the complexity of the task and how many bits are used, this can take quite some time.

Quantum computer bits are both 1 AND 0.

This eliminates the CPU having to read which they are and so information flows much, much faster until the end result is reached.

Quantum mechanics is still a mystery even to scientists.

Particles can be in two places at once and have two different states of matter.

Some particles even become "quantum entangled" and mimic each other's behaviour over long distances.

The chinese space agency has reported that they have a quantum enabled satellite in orbit and have broken the distance record for information transmission using entanglement several times in the last few years.

This opens the door for a quantum internet, with speeds undreamed of before.

And it's secure, as attempting to read the information stored in entangled particles which are in a state of quantum flux forces them to decide whether they are 1 or 0 and breaks the entanglement, destroying the information.

22 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

🙂

qubit.png

The is also Koomey's Law

Tl;dr

Sweet, so long 16GB iPhone 

giphy.gif

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

The fact you've put it like that means you compute it pretty well I think! I mean, step one is just realising there's a difference between "emptiness" and "nothing"! :lol:

Yeah, it's absolutely a mind bender, and I totally agree, can't work it out for the life of me. Love it though. I can still vividly remember the moment I had an epiphany as to why time dilation occurs and how general relativity explains it--I never felt so fascinated by the universe in my life!

That’s the exact same as me.  The whole concept of time dilation blew my mind and I couldn’t read enough about it.  The notion that gravity affects time in particular had me like WTF.  Absolutely fascinating.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Mass and Energy are interchangable.

Before the Big Bang there was only Energy.

After the Big Bang, some of that Energy was converted into Mass, which then built everything you can see or feel.

And some things you can't (dark matter).

On the subject of quantum computers:

Traditional "bits" in a computer have a set binary value of 1 or 0.

Every bit has to be read by the central processor when doing a task.

Depending on the complexity of the task and how many bits are used, this can take quite some time.

Quantum computer bits are both 1 AND 0.

This eliminates the CPU having to read which they are and so information flows much, much faster until the end result is reached.

Quantum mechanics is still a mystery even to scientists.

Particles can be in two places at once and have two different states of matter.

Some particles even become "quantum entangled" and mimic each other's behaviour over long distances.

The chinese space agency has reported that they have a quantum enabled satellite in orbit and have broken the distance record for information transmission using entanglement several times in the last few years.

This opens the door for a quantum internet, with speeds undreamed of before.

And it's secure, as attempting to read the information stored in entangled particles which are in a state of quantum flux forces them to decide whether they are 1 or 0 and breaks the entanglement, destroying the information.

Was there energy before the Big Bang?  With no space (and no time) in what would it have existed?

43 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Was there energy before the Big Bang?  With no space (and no time) in what would it have existed?

I don't think so.

I think all the energy came into existence as a result of the big bang.

2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

13424480a6eb5a3672c5e96f9f89ed2e.jpg

Amazing how far we’ve come in such a short time that that looks ridiculous now. Using a watch to tell the time! Mental.

What I cannot get my head round is the fact that the Universe is still expanding. Fair enough but what is it expanding into?

12 minutes ago, inspector said:

What I cannot get my head round is the fact that the Universe is still expanding. Fair enough but what is it expanding into?

Not only expanding, but the rate of expansion is increasing.

And not only is matter travelling THROUGH space faster and faster, but space itself is also expanding.

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

There's nothing wrong with your brain, and it isn't little.

Our brains, just like our bodies, evolved in a manner best suited for survival in our environment.  In order to survive and pass on our genes to the next generation, we didn't need to understand enormous numbers, therefore we can't.  No human alive can grasp the enormity of even our solar system, which is less than a tiny corner of our galaxy, which is less than a tiny corner of the known universe.

According to current cosmology, what existed before the Big Bang was a singularity ... something infinitely small and infinitely hot, that contained everything that ever has been and ever will be ... time, space, energy, matter, everything.  

When you say that your brain can't compute that, you're in good company; no-one else can compute it either.

11 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The way I think about it is, the bog bang is the start of this universe, in an infinite sea of an infinite multiverses. Each universe has a start and end of an infinite amount of cycles of that universe.

Couldn't these devices be seriously dangerous in the wrong hands? If a computer with that level of speed in comparison to modern day computers...surely nothing is safe? 

Passwords, encryption, data ect..would surely be easily accessible? 

Edited by AlimOzturk

25 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Couldn't these devices be seriously dangerous in the wrong hands? If a computer with that level of speed in comparison to modern day computers...surely nothing is safe? 

Passwords, encryption, data ect..would surely be easily accessible? 

Nope, as any kind of attempt to read the information being transmitted instantly makes the particles have to decide whether they are 1 or 0 and this breaks the entire thing down, rendering the information useless.

Quantum entanglement is about as secure as you can get.

16 minutes ago, Cade said:

Nope, as any kind of attempt to read the information being transmitted instantly makes the particles have to decide whether they are 1 or 0 and this breaks the entire thing down, rendering the information useless.

i think he is meaning the breaking of current encryption which theoretically would be much quicker using a quantum computer. 

Dean Winchester
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

I'd disagree... Using a quantum computer to solve integer factorization has already been done (nearly 20 years ago in fact) with the record being broken quite a few times since then.

Most current encryptions rely on extremely large numbers such as RSA. Pretty much all public-key cryptography works this way and a quantum computer with several hundred qubits would be expected to break these fairly easily (Google's one had 53). The algorithm that can be used to break this type of encryption was invented nearly 30 years ago but there isn't currently a powerful enough quantum computer to run it efficiently enough to crack something like RSA... We're creeping ever closer to that.

It has been a problem that people have been well aware for many years though. There are algorithm's that already exist that are expected to be pretty secure against this threat already... While quantum computing could still crack them faster than traditional essentially doubling the key size for these would pretty much offer the same level of protection. There are other considerations/implications from switching from something like RSA to using these algorithms though.

The ramifications and costs to business will be pretty big IMO. And there will be a lot of companies that won't prepare the way they should (i.e. starting now).

will-i-am-a-jambo
6 hours ago, Cade said:

Not only expanding, but the rate of expansion is increasing.

And not only is matter travelling THROUGH space faster and faster, but space itself is also expanding.

giphy.gif

Yep, they predict eventually galaxies will move further and further away from each other and beyond that the galaxies themselves will get ripped apart and the stars within these galaxies will move further and further away from each other until there will be no stars/light left, scary stuff!

will-i-am-a-jambo
6 hours ago, inspector said:

Exactly! Bit of a head scratcher ain't it!

1 hour ago, superjack said:

The way I think about it is, the bog bang is the start of this universe, in an infinite sea of an infinite multiverses. Each universe has a start and end of an infinite amount of cycles of that universe.

:hartley:

20 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Quite clearly a typo but funny nonetheless!

Not a typo, I was on the loo at the time after having a curry for lunch.

will-i-am-a-jambo
22 hours ago, superjack said:

Not a typo, I was on the loo at the time after having a curry for lunch.

Classic! 😂