• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• Tommy Brown

• Homme

On 23/10/2019 at 19:56, Taffin said:

It's certainly naivety on my part as until today I hadn't really thought about people being smuggled into the UK via lorry. I assumed that they would all usually be immigrants who had hidden themselves or bribed their way on.

It's quite shocking; especially as I know the Grays And the industrial estate quite well as my work has a branch there.

I know the whole of Thurrock like the back of my hand, as I live and work here. 

the lorry was first found 2 minutes from my house. 

27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

2 people from Warrington who may be N.Irish charged. Manslaughter and trafficking. 

Interesting. Hope these people go away for a very long time.

Still remains to be seen if the driver was a willing participant or an ignorant pawn in their game.

32 minutes ago, swavkav said:

I know the whole of Thurrock like the back of my hand, as I live and work here. 

the lorry was first found 2 minutes from my house. 

It's frightening really.

They've released a text message sent by one of the dead to her mum from inside the container saying her path abroad didn't succeed and she is dying because she cannot breathe, the messages were sent on Tuesday morning and only hours before the container was stopped.

Will be interesting to see why the container was stopped.

26 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

They've released a text message sent by one of the dead to her mum from inside the container saying her path abroad didn't succeed and she is dying because she cannot breathe, the messages were sent on Tuesday morning and only hours before the container was stopped.

Will be interesting to see why the container was stopped.

These people are Vietnamese. 3 families have contacted the BBC. Others have been using social media. 

The one with the phone paid £30,000.

Another has had a refund. 

Edited by Mikey1874

SectionDJambo

This whole situation is as disgusting as it is tragic. What kind of world are we living in, where people think it’s ok to take advantage of less fortunate souls, who put their trust in them, in exchange for huge sums of money, then pack them into a metal box to smuggle them over borders.

If these people, who have been arrested, are found to be guilty of being responsible for those human beings being in that container, they should never enjoy freedom again.

The absolute concern is that this will be just one of many operations of this kind. Something has to change, to make it unnecessary for people to be so desperate to try to come here, and elsewhere, in this way.

7 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

This whole situation is as disgusting as it is tragic. What kind of world are we living in, where people think it’s ok to take advantage of less fortunate souls, who put their trust in them, in exchange for huge sums of money, then pack them into a metal box to smuggle them over borders.

If these people, who have been arrested, are found to be guilty of being responsible for those human beings being in that container, they should never enjoy freedom again.

The absolute concern is that this will be just one of many operations of this kind. Something has to change, to make it unnecessary for people to be so desperate to try to come here, and elsewhere, in this way.

Totally agree, those packing people into sealed containers in the hope they make it so they can continue packing more in should be hung.  But then the bigger picture that there are people in situations in countries that are willing to be packed into containers (for large sums of money) is a global scandal.

One thing that has been happening here is more effort to find people in 'modern slavery' which has included Vietnamese typically working in nail bars. Loads of work done but the criminals are probably better organised and resourced. 

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

2 people from Warrington who may be N.Irish charged. Manslaughter and trafficking. 

Thought to be at some point owners of the cab. 

My concern is, how many times has this happened, where the entire occupants of a container have died in the back. I imagine it would be easy for the traffickers to dispose of the bodies.

22 hours ago, superjack said:

My concern is, how many times has this happened, where the entire occupants of a container have died in the back. I imagine it would be easy for the traffickers to dispose of the bodies.

Yup.

And is it too much to consider that maybe they want them dead?... no repercussions or grasses....

56 minutes ago, Homme said:

And a few other charges too. I'm thinking he was a willing participant. 

People trafficking, immigration and money laundering charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/26/essex-lorry-deaths-fifth-man-arrested-dublin

While there will be others presumably in the origin country and others (say Vietnam and China) this is the UK / Irish operation. When the others were arrested yesterday it was clear he was in the frame. And there have been more arrests or there are about to be. 

"Justice for the victims".

Edited by Mikey1874

Reports from a Vietnamese priest that there were 3 lorries involved with up to 100 people, and nodody knows where the other two wagons ended up.

On 24/10/2019 at 15:59, I P Knightley said:

There's already a #JusticeForMo thing doing the rounds on social media (I caught it on FB, forwarded by a friend who has family ties in the north of Ireland).

"Innocent till proving guilty" and "it doesnt take sherlock holmes to work out the boys innocent". Clearly, it can be worked out without completing your education!

The justice page won’t be getting many more likes 

I P Knightley
On 26/10/2019 at 22:02, theshed said:

The justice page won’t be getting many more likes 

The one who shared the Facebook post has recently withdrawn it. It had the kind of indignant comments you'd expect from Celtic or Rangers supporters if a penalty was ever awarded against them.

Sadly though I'm sure a reassurance for many all the victims have been identified.

Named here. Several teenagers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-essex-50350481

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-police-release-names-39-20841370.amp

Edited by Mikey1874

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm interesting.  He's the public face of it all now too - look at his cab, it's minted, I'd guess paid for from years of making this journey!

As they say - If you play with feathers your arse will get tickled.

Hampden Demolition
2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Hmm interesting.  He's the public face of it all now too - look at his cab, it's minted, I'd guess paid for from years of making this journey!

As they say - If you play with feathers your arse will get tickled.

The vehicle wasn’t owned by him but I agree this wouldn’t have been his first time.

11 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

The vehicle wasn’t owned by him but I agree this wouldn’t have been his first time.

From what I've read he owned the cab but not the trailer.

I'd actually guess it's more a case of "You'll collect there trailers as and when we say, ok??  And if You've any problems then XYZ will happen"

5 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

This can’t be true. From what people have said, this guy wouldn’t harm a fly...

Likely helping the Police put together the whole network.

Early guilty plea would suggest that. 

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Imo probably about 10 years

Trying to get myhead round it, assuming he sings like a canary and makes himself the  lovely guy who drives the last leg to the land of riches.

I stll was thinking 25 years.

Manslaughter, he can maybe argue he didnt put them in the trailer, so only guilty of trafficing.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Trying to get myhead round it, assuming he sings like a canary and makes himself the  lovely guy who drives the last leg to the land of riches.

I stll was thinking 25 years.

Manslaughter, he can maybe argue he didnt put them in the trailer, so only guilty of trafficing.

That's also possible just depends on a lot what he says.

Always looked shifty, too. smug a countenance. Be telling all he knows now, to get a lighter sentence for himself, for only that reason. 

Absolute s h I t house of a human being, hope his meagre conscience suffers of those  29 dead, he was party to.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

4 gang members sentenced today.

Ringleader 28 years, UK organiser 20 years, driver 1 who shipped them across the channel 18 years. Irish driver on UK leg 13 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-55765213

Should’ve been life for them all.

It can be given for manslaughter.

• 2 years later...