• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

• Tommy Brown

• Homme

Captain Sausage

Awful. Truly awful. 

Reading some of the comments on Twitter, the lack of sympathy or empathy is utterly staggering. A sad indication of the despicable scum that reside amongst us. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Awful. Truly awful. 

Reading some of the comments on Twitter, the lack of sympathy or empathy is utterly staggering. A sad indication of the despicable scum that reside amongst us. 

I can imagine what some on Twitter are saying.

Sexton Hardcastle
59 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I can imagine what some on Twitter are saying.

Not seen it but imagine Hopkins, Morgan and the usual dregs are fishing for likes and attention.

Салатные палочки

What is the driver obliged to do when it comes to this?  I imagine checks after each stop but to what extent?  Surely a full and thorough search of the trailer after each stop would take some time?  

I'm confused by the BBC article on this story.

It says the driver has been arrested on suspicion of murder but then goes on to talk about instances of immigrants dying in the back of lorries.

Really sad and tragic either way I should add.

Edited by Taffin

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Rab87 said:

Some of the replies to the Sky News tweet breaking the news, utterly horrific. 

Haven’t read them, but I don’t understand why folk hate them for trying to get here. If I was in their situation and I knew what kind of better life I would have in the UK, then I’d be doing everything I could to get myself and my family here. Any grievances these folk have, should be directed towards the government for what they give them when they get here. Why else would they be crossing multiple countries and not making a life there, but pushing on to get here.

The time of death might give an indication of how long they had been in the lorry. This might then implicate the driver on whether he knew about them being in there.

Horrific news

Its a tragic consequence of the upheavals in areas due to wars and strife. It is not an unusual story to see or hear on the news here happening on the southern borders of the U.S.A particularly the western ones where the heat is a factor. Having lived a peaceful life it is difficult to appreciate the misery one is in to take such a chance. I suppose U.K will have to build a wall to stop refugees and the oppressed from trying to enter the country.

28 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I think the route the driver took has raised suspicions. 

Me and a colleague said that earlier too. Especially when it was headed for Essex.

Do still wonder how much the murder charge will stick with the driver though. Unless he's involved more than we think, a lot of drivers take bungs to smuggle people in through nothing more than weakness, stupidity, or even intimidation. His crime here is obviously smuggling illegals into the country, and obviously negligence comes into it too.

Makes you wonder what went on for all 39 to die too. Surely he had checked on them at some point, and the truck arrived in the country 4 days ago. We could speculate all causes of death, but even things like starvation, or falling victim to the cold, you'd still imagine at least 1 would make it through. All round weird, and sad situation.

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Me and a colleague said that earlier too. Especially when it was headed for Essex.

Do still wonder how much the murder charge will stick with the driver though. Unless he's involved more than we think, a lot of drivers take bungs to smuggle people in through nothing more than weakness, stupidity, or even intimidation. His crime here is obviously smuggling illegals into the country, and obviously negligence comes into it too.

Makes you wonder what went on for all 39 to die too. Surely he had checked on them at some point, and the truck arrived in the country 4 days ago. We could speculate all causes of death, but even things like starvation, or falling victim to the cold, you'd still imagine at least 1 would make it through. All round weird, and sad situation.

Probably lack of ventilation too? Fills quickly with CO₂

Horrendous and this is just one we are aware of

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

An earlier, similar case ended up with the driver being done for manslaughter. 

This fella's been arrested on a charge of murder; would that be the default starting point that may get taken down to manslaughter?

The lorry had been in the UK for over 3 days before the bodies being discovered. They journey from Bulgaria, via RoI (if that's how it got to Holyhead) would easily have been another 3 days. Horrible to think of folk trapped in a container for that time. 

3 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Its a tragic consequence of the upheavals in areas due to wars and strife. It is not an unusual story to see or hear on the news here happening on the southern borders of the U.S.A particularly the western ones where the heat is a factor. Having lived a peaceful life it is difficult to appreciate the misery one is in to take such a chance. I suppose U.K will have to build a wall to stop refugees and the oppressed from trying to enter the country.

There's plenty of room in Scotland. Infrastructure is a bit pish.

5 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

What is the driver obliged to do when it comes to this?  I imagine checks after each stop but to what extent?  Surely a full and thorough search of the trailer after each stop would take some time?  

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'm confused by the BBC article on this story.

It says the driver has been arrested on suspicion of murder but then goes on to talk about instances of immigrants dying in the back of lorries.

Really sad and tragic either way I should add.

I'm pretty sure the intimation is that this is people smuggling, not immigrants sneaking into the lorry themselves, and that the driver would have been fully aware of his 'cargo'.

11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I'm pretty sure the intimation is that this is people smuggling, not immigrants sneaking into the lorry themselves, and that the driver would have been fully aware of his 'cargo'.

Cheers, makes more sense. Though is that murder? Seems odd that he'd purposefully kill his 'cargo'. That said, they obviously know a lot more than is being reported currently.

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Cheers, makes more sense. Though is that murder? Seems odd that he'd purposefully kill his 'cargo'. That said, they obviously know a lot more than is being reported currently.

Last person to get caught got done for manslaughter so suspect it may be downgraded.

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Lorry from Zeebrugge, trailer from Ireland.

Other way around. Trailer from Zeebrugge. Tractor unit from Ireland.

52 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Last person to get caught got done for manslaughter so suspect it may be downgraded.

It's certainly naivety on my part as until today I hadn't really thought about people being smuggled into the UK via lorry. I assumed that they would all usually be immigrants who had hidden themselves or bribed their way on.

It's quite shocking; especially as I know the Grays And the industrial estate quite well as my work has a branch there.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Other way around. Trailer from Zeebrugge. Tractor unit from Ireland.

I heard on the radio that it was a refrigerated trailor.

53 minutes ago, Barack said:

It was. The driver is legally responsible for his load, and therefore, the checking of its road-worthiness & its "contents." Tricky if not nigh on impossible, to clamber over a fully stacked fridge unit with loaded pallets to the bulkhead and look.

Whether this trailer was that, or was already sealed & assumed by the driver to have already been checked at Purfleet...who knows. Number of variables in play really.

Notice they've named the driver already. See what transpires I guess in regards to him. 

Seems very dodgy to have been parked up for a few days.

Bloke from the Road Haulage Association was on Radio 5 a wee while ago. It seems like the location of the lorry in Grays is well known to locals for mysterious lorries stopping there  in the middle of the night, and loads of people jumping out and scattering in different directions. It seems that Local Taxi drivers have taken fares there asking to go to London or simply ‘into town’. It’s apparently been reported to the bill, who’ve done very little until this horrific event.

This has gone tragically wrong but there are many, many more who get through and no-one knows how many. Life must be horrendous where they’ve come from for them to go to such lengths. 

21 hours ago, Morgan said:

Absolutely.

Was left thinking yesterday how desperate these poor people are , in the world now everyone should have a decent standard of living.

But as we know, not the case.

Just don't know if the driver is involved yet. I've seen a lot of messages of support for him online but i'm sure the police will get to the bottom of it.

7 minutes ago, Homme said:

Just don't know if the driver is involved yet. I've seen a lot of messages of support for him online but i'm sure the police will get to the bottom of it.

Seen a few things saying he has already been released and no charges brought forward etc.

Where the lorry is stopped is weird IMO. It wasn't close to the kerb, opposite a junction.

just didn't look a deliberate place to stop.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Seen a few things saying he has already been released and no charges brought forward etc.

That was quick.

34 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Me too but no official outlet seems to be carrying the story. I reckon we would know if he has been released.

38 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Where the lorry is stopped is weird IMO. It wasn't close to the kerb, opposite a junction.

just didn't look a deliberate place to stop.

It seems from Police statement that driver only picked up trailer just shortly before Ambulance Service were called. 

So maybe driver called them. 

17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It seems from Police statement that driver only picked up trailer just shortly before Ambulance Service were called. 

What I query, is "why did he stop?"

he hasn't pulled over

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Think it probably was the driver who called them. Whether its because they were discovered when he went to let them out, or when he went to check his load for whatever reason.

I P Knightley
51 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Given another 24 hours to question him.

There's already a #JusticeForMo thing doing the rounds on social media (I caught it on FB, forwarded by a friend who has family ties in the north of Ireland).

"Innocent till proving guilty" and "it doesnt take sherlock holmes to work out the boys innocent". Clearly, it can be worked out without completing your education!