The Gorgie Road Sign - Poll

Maroon Sailor

Gorgie Road Sign - Poll  

338 members have voted

1. 1. Should we re-create the Gorgie Road sign?

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think an issue us that old farts like me, who have fond memories of it, are declining in number every day. It was demolished 25 years ago and in 10 years nobody under 45 will have any memory of it. 

All the more reason to create a new one. Must be some way of fitting one into modern Tynie to display it facing Gorgie Road

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• davemclaren

• been here before

• Jamhammer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

All the more reason to create a new one. Must be some way of fitting one into modern Tynie to display it facing Gorgie Road

I’ve taken the liberty of adding a poll. 😎

4 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

i'm sure a few years ago there was a thread on this and somebody had the old sign or new where it was but it was in a bad state of repair it would be good to see it back i wonder when it was actually made.

I'd like to see the same size of  sign , if not,  a replica attached to the gorgie road stand ,it would look really something " 🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦👏

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It was lost as part of the work during the 1994 stadium refevelopment. 

cheers Dave.

Coburg Hearts
38 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’ve taken the liberty of adding a poll. 😎

Looking like it's the first ever poll where we're all in agreement. It's 100% so far, and I reckon it will receive at least 98% support. So unlike kickback. haha

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_20191023_092311.jpg.16edc25bbd44757ef449757912e8ad43.jpg

tynecastle_park03.thumb.jpg.12f032b105c1262edb87d89d78e16210.jpg

I must have walked under that hundreds of times. Adults 2/6d, boys (might have said children but I don't think so)1/6d

Edited by upgotheheads

3 hours ago, Dunks said:

There was, but not all the homeowners agreed, so I understand it is not happening.

Hibby residents :rolleyes: 

Something painted on the gates of the gorgie could be a nice touch, not sure how that would hold up to the weather but i'm sure there's means to protect it.

Poster above already done the photoshopping!  Something that includes the sign but not the main feature would be nice.

Edited by Morph

Were we not suppose to get a massive tynecastle park sign on the new main stand and ended up with it being rather small? Anyway having never got the chance to see that old sign in person, some kind of tribute to it would be nice.

11 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Were we not suppose to get a massive tynecastle park sign on the new main stand and ended up with it being rather small? Anyway having never got the chance to see that old sign in person, some kind of tribute to it would be nice.

Planning permission iirc. The sign looks fine to me though. 

Does bring back memories....  The main stand with its sign, sits off the main thoroughfare, unlike many clubs. So a revitalised Gorgie road sign would be a positive move. 

its so ugly,

can see why older people would like it, take you back to the days when you had hair and less of a gut.

but c'mon its fine if you want to have a gunfight at the O.K. corral. but its clapped and so out of place for a football stadium

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Could get this artist to help out

Lives in. New Jersey I’m sure. Does some really good stuff.

4 hours ago, farin said:

7910B0C0-5FC4-4954-BAA7-B2769A433FCF.thumb.jpeg.6fc874de21857711cf1eb474379fc8b7.jpeg

Brings back lots of memories. 😎 

My most vivid memories of Tynecastle are the smells; a combination of smells from the brewery combined with tobacco smoke and, if either of the bigot brothers were in town, pish.

Bridge of Djoum
8 minutes ago, Dinger said:

its so ugly,

can see why older people would like it, take you back to the days when you had hair and less of a gut.

but c'mon its fine if you want to have a gunfight at the O.K. corral. but its clapped and so out of place for a football stadium

LOOK AT ME!!!! 

17 minutes ago, Dinger said:

its so ugly,

I'd love to have a gunfight at the OK corral (with anyone who says I've nae hair and a gut) but the sign replicated on the gates would be fine 

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Lives in. New Jersey I’m sure. Does some really good stuff.

Ah that rings a bell - he did a scroll of iconic Hearts images a few years back

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Mark_Mywords said:

How about making a new gate?

image.thumb.png.907a2239629daeedf090ecfe4514b09b.png

That looks superb.

Protecting it from vandals will be the problem

49 minutes ago, Dinger said:

its so ugly,

I had no idea that the internet had actually reached Duns yet. Sadly it looks like it has.

Edited by 7628mm

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I think an issue us that old farts like me, who have fond memories of it, are declining in number every day. It was demolished 25 years ago and in 10 years nobody under 45 will have any memory of it. 

They would if we built a new one Dave.

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

My most vivid memories of Tynecastle are the smells; a combination of smells from the brewery combined with tobacco smoke and, if either of the bigot brothers were in town, pish.

Distillery 

stranraer-jambo
2 hours ago, Mark_Mywords said:

Like this very much. 

Gives us the sentiment that is intended. 

GorgieFifeLife

Voted no. Think instead of harking back to the past we should instead do things to modernise the matchday experience.  The younger football fans of today and tomorrow look for a lot more from matchday than just what is on the park. Spend money on this rather than a sign.

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Voted no. Think instead of harking back to the past we should instead do things to modernise the matchday experience.  The younger football fans of today and tomorrow look for a lot more from matchday than just what is on the park. Spend money on this rather than a sign.

What would you spend the money on ?

2 hours ago, Dinger said:

its so ugly,

:spoton:

While we're talking about painting... Outside of the stands all maroon? Always felt the grey looks a bit gloomy, especially given the state of the back of the Roseburn.

And of course, paint the inside stand walls/gable ends maroon :D

2 hours ago, Dinger said:

its so ugly,

In the new stand it would make it look like a line dancing venue.  The gate looks a lot better.  

Holyrood_Hearts
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That looks superb.

Protecting it from vandals will be the problem

The only downside to the idea cos it looks superb

Holyrood_Hearts
3 hours ago, Dinger said:

its so ugly,

Nonsense. 

Gorgie Boys are in town.

As someone Gorgie born and bred, that sign takes me back to my youth. I do miss that sign.

my "take you back to the days when you had hair and less of a gut" comment was obviously just said in jest, 

but i stand by the rest. 

i will say it looks better as a gate tho

7 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Fabricate new steel supports onto the existing fencing/gates already there. Attach sign to new supports. Job done 👍🏼

TY MR Sifter, exactly this.

Earlier today I was thinking the gate into the Gorgie is a similar shape so could host it - but the elevation wouldn't be right and it would be prone to vandalism on a weekly basis.

On the side of the stand would look tacky and out of place but just beyond the gate and raised it would look tremendous.

Bring it back!

5 hours ago, Mark_Mywords said:

Damn should read through a thread.. Also this. Again though vandalism would be an issue.

16 hours ago, Dinger said:

its so ugly,

Agree with this.

That sign on our nice, modern stadium would just be :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

😂Agree with this.

That sign on our nice, modern stadium would just be :facepalm:

See those old Masters messing up our nice new galleries with their old paintings 😂😂😂