Whelan

Chaps

The Future's Maroon
Just now, Bunny Munro said:

Hope he agrees to stay beyond this season. 

Very much this.

17 minutes ago, Chaps said:

How the **** have we managed to sign him. 

Strolls through games and had that whole Rangers midfield in his back pocket today.

Say what you like about Levein's management capabilities, but he clearly is a major influence in signing class players like Whelan and Naismith. They often talk about "buying into what the manager is trying to do" and the way he talks up Hearts in the recruitment process will have an impact on their decision to come here. Yes, there have been some horrendous duds but we have also seen real quality like Whelan, and I think that is in no small part down to Levein. Credit where credit is due and all that.

Edited by Jambos_1874

11 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Good player but TBH I thought he had one of his poorest games today.

Are you saying that because he fell on his arse taking a free kick near the edge of their box? Thought aside from that he was solid and covered everywhere

Edited by kila

Tennant's  6's

Touch of class, as well as aggression. Hd was going mental at someone at half time. 

Can't wait for Haring & Naisy to be in the same starting 11 together 

42 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Say what you like about Levein's management capabilities, but he clearly is a major influence in signing class players like Whelan and Naismith. They often talk about "buying into what the manager is trying to do" and the way he talks up Hearts in the recruitment process will have an impact on their decision to come here. Yes, there have been some horrendous duds but we have also seen real quality like Whelan, and I think that is in no small part down to Levein. Credit where credit is due and all that.

Like oshinawa and vanaceck etc

Whelan will need the next 2 games to get up to speed 

Edited by TypoonJambo

16 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Whelan will need the next 2 games to get up to speed 

Sorry, meant Harring 

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Agreed. Great player and can’t wait to see him and Haring together in the middle. 

however thought he was careless with the ball today. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Worthing Jambo said:

A semi with Haring alongside him.

I have!

Let's hope we get to the final 

1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Ratio is about 5:1 

2 hours ago, kila said:

Are you saying that because he fell on his arse taking a free kick near the edge of their box? Thought aside from that he was solid and covered everywhere

No

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

:notsure:your having a laugh mate :rifle:

18 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

:notsure:your having a laugh mate :rifle:

Yes I am.

I did not think he had one of his better games today.

Best mid on the park today, inc Rangers lot in that.  

I thought having Bozanic beside him with his energy made us much more competitive in there as opposed to what we’ve had recently.  

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Didn’t see too much of it today but did see his yellow card which was an excellent piece of professionalism and taking one for the team. I was screaming at the tv for him to bring the guy down to stop a probable goal and he duly obliged.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Best mid on the park today, inc Rangers lot in that.  

I thought having Bozanic beside him with his energy made us much more competitive in there as opposed to what we’ve had recently.  

Yip, Bozanic always gives 100 per cent and is good in these type of games where grit and fight are needed. 

He's an absolute rolls royce of a player at this level. 

Kinda feel like he's wasted with the dross around him. 

Hopefully we can get Naismith, Walker, Washington, Halkett and Souttar into the same team and we'll actually realise this teams potential. 

5 hours ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Touch of class, as well as aggression. Hd was going mental at someone at half time. 

Uche for not pressing their back four enough

Whelan is different gravy! He does all the unnoticed important stuff. Takes the ball from the defender and drill a pass into feet for our attacking players! Absolute stroller!   Once we have a full squad this man will pull the strings. 

I know it's been said around a thousand times but with around 6 first choice players still to come back, it's a very enticing prospect.

If we really apply ourselves, some teams could be in for sound thrashings, one in particular.

5 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Agreed. Great player and can’t wait to see him and Haring together in the middle. 

however thought he was careless with the ball today. 

He's been our best recruit of the season, but I would have to agree with this. I think the two full games on International duty took their toll on him. He passed the ball out the park on a couple of occasions and made a complete mess of an attempted slide tackle that aloud OJo into the box.

We can forgive him that though. He still did a lot right today.

I reckon if Ireland qualify for the Euros then I don’t think we’ll see him after the summer. If they don’t qualify, he has the summer off and then decides to sign for another season 👍🏻

8 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Whelan has yet to have a poor game for Hearts. This was not the very best of a series of good performances. Was that what you intended to say?

Be great to see Whelan, Naismith,

Berra, Haring, Walker, Michael Smith, Souttar etc all on the park together at some point. Whelan and Naismith could be sensational!

8 hours ago, ceefax said:

I reckon if Ireland qualify for the Euros then I don’t think we’ll see him after the summer. If they don’t qualify, he has the summer off and then decides to sign for another season 👍🏻

He came to Hearts to keep his place in the Ireland squad though. Working so far so can’t see why he wouldn’t stay another year either way.

Fxxx the SPFL
16 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

i agree but still a class player a pity he was on the goal line when Morelos scored as he would have been offside otherwise.

9 hours ago, sirwalter said:

Whelan has yet to have a poor game for Hearts. This was not the very best of a series of good performances. Was that what you intended to say?

Yes fair enough

10 hours ago, sirwalter said:

He didn't say Whelan had a poor game. He said it's the poorest one he's seen him have. I agree with him. He was good, but he's been better in every other game I've seen him play for us...ergo, it was the poorest game I've seen him have for us.

In a room full of rich men is the poorest one poor?

scott herbertson
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

He didn't say Whelan had a poor game. He said it's the poorest one he's seen him have. I agree with him. He was good, but he's been better in every other game I've seen him play for us...ergo, it was the poorest game I've seen him have for us.

Absolutely not

But relatively yes

Absolute Scenes
12 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I know it's been said around a thousand times but with around 6 first choice players still to come back, it's a very enticing prospect.

If we really apply ourselves, some teams could be in for sound thrashings, one in particular.

Boxing Day pumping on the cards if we can get those guys back. Halkett I think will be new year but Naismith, Haring, Walker back will be absolutely delicious against that defence

20 hours ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Some players will need earplugs with both of them on the park

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Cheers. 👍

Kind of agree with everyone here. It wasn't Whelans best game on the ball, but name one single player, both teams, who controlled possession?! It just wasnt that type of game, so Whelan did his job of winning his fights and holding our shape, which he did to perfection.

Itd have been nice if he'd stroked the ball about but second half id be surprised if either team strung more than 3 passes together.

He did his job.

wattie exploited
On 20/10/2019 at 19:29, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yes I am.

I did not think he had one of his better games today.

what midfield player did you think did better than him ?

22 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

what midfield player did you think did better than him ?

None of them - my point was that going by his high standards I did not think Whelan had one of his best games.

wattie exploited
23 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

None of them - my point was that going by his high standards I did not think Whelan had one of his best games.

fair enough I still think he had a great first half !