Who is meant to be Levein’s replacement from our backroom staff?

SomethingAboutObua

SomethingAboutObua

Don’t worry this isn’t another Levein out post. I’ve just been wondering, even if things were going well at Hearts, who in the coaching staff is meant to be next in the conveyer belt of coaches we’re trying to develop? 

Daily was interim twice, McPhee has most coaching experience at a higher level and was in charge most recently when Levein was out with the heart attack, Fox did that loan to Cowdenbeath thing as a manager and I’ve seen people mention on here Andy Kirk is reserves coach so he could slot in once Levein stepped down, having already managed part of the squad. 

I assume had Cathro gone well he would have left Hearts for a fee, be replaced by Levein as an interim and then X would take over, but who was/is X supposed to be from those 4?

I don’t think one was specifically identified -they  were potentially all in positions to then ‘shine’. No one stands out but that’s cos they are presented as a unit. Be interesting to know who has best man management, motivation and tactical knowledge skills. 

Seymour M Hersh

I would guess, if it's an internal promotion, that Andy Kirk would be the one in line. Well respected by the players and seen as a modern positive thinker in football terms or at least that's what I've been told. Personally I'd rather look externally and outwith Scotland. 

2 hours ago, Baxfee said:

I don’t think one was specifically identified -they  were potentially all in positions to then ‘shine’. No one stands out but that’s cos they are presented as a unit. Be interesting to know who has best man management, motivation and tactical knowledge skills. 

Reserves seem to be doing ok. I'd be inclined to lean towards Kirk if I HAD to choose. He's been a bit more removed from the failures of the first team too

Forever Hearts
37 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I reckon Kirk

We have a few guys at the club with management experience though - Locke, Naysmith, Fox

Hopefully none of them tbh

Not exactly Stein, Busby and Shankly. 

Think the plan to have a conveyer belt of coaches went out the window after Neilson left before expected. It was finally dead after Neilson’s intended successor Jack Ross also left the club unexpectedly. 

9 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

A JKB selection of experts is the way forward.

Couldn't do a worse job than Levein to be fair.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, main said:

Think the plan to have a conveyer belt of coaches went out the window after Neilson left before expected. It was finally dead after Neilson’s intended successor Jack Ross also left the club unexpectedly. 

I'd agree with that. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

I see a problem with that statement. 

Captain Canada

My concern for a while has been who are these coaches learning from? Daly, Fox and Kirk are all inexperienced, Austin hasn't been a manager and from what's reported on here, CL isn't full-time on the training pitch (and his qualities are not exactly shining brightly at the moment.)

Does anyone know if there's a structured plan in place for coach development? 

2 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Can see a Poll coming.................    :)

8 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Don’t worry this isn’t another Levein out post. I’ve just been wondering, even if things were going well at Hearts, who in the coaching staff is meant to be next in the conveyer belt of coaches we’re trying to develop? 

Daily was interim twice, McPhee has most coaching experience at a higher level and was in charge most recently when Levein was out with the heart attack, Fox did that loan to Cowdenbeath thing as a manager and I’ve seen people mention on here Andy Kirk is reserves coach so he could slot in once Levein stepped down, having already managed part of the squad. 

I assume had Cathro gone well he would have left Hearts for a fee, be replaced by Levein as an interim and then X would take over, but who was/is X supposed to be from those 4?

Possibly no one.

If CL lasts to the end of his contract I imagine that will be around the time FoH take over.  While the club will not exactly be fan run, it must have a say in broad terms.

10 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Ann BUdge has a shortlist of 2. They are the only footballers she has heard of so it's going to be Lineker or Messi  

Who don't have the relevant experience of the Scottish game so she decided to give CL another go. 

3 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

Christ no. Imagine it. Couldn't think of a worse group of candidates :laugh:

It’s a good point. 

I am fairly resigned to the idea that Levein will be here for the rest of the season, before Queen Ann delicately asks him to step back into the DOF role. At which point I suppose it is reasonably likely that one of the Bootroom Staff will be given a shot at the Managers job for next season. 

1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

It’s a good point. 

I am fairly resigned to the idea that Levein will be here for the rest of the season, before Queen Ann delicately asks him to step back into the DOF role. At which point I suppose it is reasonably likely that one of the Bootroom Staff will be given a shot at the Managers job for next season. 

Could give them a few months each. See who does best. 

3 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

It’s a good point. 

Exciting times ahead  eh?

annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Could give them a few months each. See who does best. 

Let's start now and put CL on gardening leave for the rest of his contract. He can spend the next 6 months unhindered by his managerial duties and focus on his next 5 year plan for AB. 

This thread worries me because it smacks of a lack of choice after we finally get shot of Levein.

We all know that Levein’s golden pal Jon Daly would be Levein’s first choice even though Ann Budge

counted him out only because of his lack of experience but be in no doubt Levein will be wanting to 

have a say in who follows him and that person is Jon Daly make no mistake about that. Levein must 

take no part in the appointment of Hearts next manager and the FOH must have a veto in case Ann 
Budge caves into appointing someone who is not up to the job. The new manager must have total 

authority over who their coaching staff with no interference from a Levein type DOF who would be 

seen as hampering and intrusive to a new manager.

4 hours ago, Locky said:

The 'conveyor belt' of coaches pretty much died on it's arse when Neilson left.

It obviously did because Cathro was appointed from outside the club.

17 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Hopefully none of them ****s!!!

22 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

It’s a good point. 

Aye to an empty stadium - you have to be joking ????  If they don't secure a coach who knows what their doing by January - we'll be playing first division football - You do realise Hibs have won more games at Tynecastle than us since April ie One  

1 minute ago, Drumjambo said:

Aye to an empty stadium - you have to be joking ????  If they don't secure a coach who knows what their doing by January - we'll be playing first division football - You do realise Hibs have won more games at Tynecastle than us since April ie One  

Mate I have been calling for Levein to vacate the Manger position for a long time now. 

The above scenario I outlined is not what I want to happen. It’s just a scenario that appears relatively likely given Mrs Budge’s refusal to sack Levein. 

22 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

It’s a good point. 

Id also suggest he should be nowhere near a DOF role either . New blood required desperately how a successful  business woman cannot see what is right in front of her defies logic 

1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

Mate I have been calling for Levein to vacate the Manger position for a long time now. 

The above scenario I outlined is not what I want to happen. It’s just a scenario that appears relatively likely given Mrs Budge’s refusal to sack Levein. 

Fair play oak i thought you were at the wind up mate - There seriously cannot be anyone left convinced he can turn this

"sean clare needs taken out the situation".......next week up front (out of position along with 6 other players) wi two strikers on the bench I watched it but i couldn't believe it

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

None of them. 

They all need punted. 

This is the only way forward. Levein and the entire first team coaching staff should be sacked on the basis of poor performance and this should be stated in the press release. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

None of them. 

They all need punted. 

Id agree but have sympathy for Kirk - The rest jesus!!!   just what do they do all week. It can't be football related

40 minutes ago, Drumjambo said:

Id agree but have sympathy for Kirk - The rest jesus!!!   just what do they do all week. It can't be football related

Kirk and Rankin can stay as they aren’t part of the first team. 

The rest need punted fYgK0Lv.gif

To be honest i'd get rid of Fox, Daly and McPhee as well as Levein. Kirk seems to be doing ok relatively un-noticed but if cash is an issue, short-term anyway, i'd let Lockie and Gary Naysmith co-manage until a replacement team is found. Maybe Steven Naismith as further back-up when it comes to training ground stuff. They both have at least some managerial experience and it's a challenge I reckon they'd relish. The rigid system that Levein and his cohorts swear by will be out the door even before they've had time to pack their bags!

Perhaps there is something in Kirk at some point? But there isn't a man there I'd want coaching the team. We're an absolute shambles and I don't believe thats down to bad luck. 

We need a better manager and we need better coaches. Once the club is in fans hands we need to have a foundation version of budgement day and clear the decks once more. The only success so far has been Leveins commitment to youth. Outside of that... nothing. 

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Perhaps there is something in Kirk at some point? But there isn't a man there I'd want coaching the team. We're an absolute shambles and I don't believe thats down to bad luck. 

We need a better manager and we need better coaches. Once the club is in fans hands we need to have a foundation version of budgement day and clear the decks once more. The only success so far has been Leveins commitment to youth. Outside of that... nothing. 

I wonder if management would dare to extend their contracts before budgement day?

annushorribilis III
10 hours ago, jambonian said:

To be honest i'd get rid of Fox, Daly and McPhee as well as Levein. Kirk seems to be doing ok relatively un-noticed but if cash is an issue, short-term anyway, i'd let Lockie and Gary Naysmith co-manage until a replacement team is found. Maybe Steven Naismith as further back-up when it comes to training ground stuff. They both have at least some managerial experience and it's a challenge I reckon they'd relish. The rigid system that Levein and his cohorts swear by will be out the door even before they've had time to pack their bags!

Naismith has signed a 4 year deal, apparently. There is NO way he is going to see out more than 2 years as a player and maybe that suggests  a long term strategy. It's not a strategy that will promote good will amongst the backroom staff- eg Daly being suggested by CL as a Cathro replacement (which the board clearly didn't like) , and he we are 2 years down the track of CLs tenure, Daly is still at the club, but apparently not (STILL not ?) seen by the board as a suitable replacement.  What a shambles. 

On 15/10/2019 at 19:34, JamboAl said:

It obviously did because Cathro was appointed from outside the club.

It was said at the time that the likes of Daly, McPhee etc weren't ready.........YET

3 years later that may not be seen as the case this time around