Keto diet

EH11_2NL

Was reading something about this on Twitter. I believe ALL diets are fad nonsense but the pic of the ripped guy advertising it was intriguing. Any Ketoers now have a six pack after 30 days because that's all it takes apparently 😆

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It works. It takes more than 30 days though.

And I'm not sure the diet gives you a 6 pack.  :laugh:  More likely endless sit ups and crunches. 

I start it tomorrow!  I’m under no illusions that it’ll take more than just following Keto to get where I want to but, having done a load of research, the food you are allowed to eat is what I enjoy eating anyway. I just have to cut out the crap, and alcohol!!!

48 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And I'm not sure the diet gives you a 6 pack.  :laugh:  More likely endless sit ups and crunches. 

I wouldn't recommend that as a pathway to a 6 pack either tbh, but yes, training your core will be required but it's diet that will reveal it. 

Keto is hard work but the weight does seem to drop off. Or it did for me at least.

Seymour M Hersh
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Not really, abs are built in the kitchen and not in the gym. 

You need to drop fat for abs to be visible, obviously working your abs muscle get bigger is important, however, until you start getting to under 15% body fat (really less) your chance of seeing a six pack are non existent; irrespective of size of the muscles.

Crunch and sits ups amongst some of worst exercises for abs imo. 

Planking and the likes of Turkish get ups much more effective for muscles. ,

Anyone who wants a 6pack needs to dedicate time to diet and be very consistent to get body fat levels to where they need to be. You can’t out train a bad diet.

Also if you drink alcohol, chance of getting abs are limited imo. Not impossible but limited.

That's quite interesting though my comment was more tongue in cheek tbh. In any case I doubt I'll be getting a 6 pack very soon as I enjoy a glass or three of wine on a Saturday. :laugh:

Its similar to the Atkins which worked well for weightloss. but it turns into a slog. Years back I went from 105Kg to about 80-85Kg in a few months eating Chinese, chippys and other junk but bursting it in training. Any diet will work if you train hard enough you just need motivation and willpower.

All crash diets are pish.

You need to change your entire way of life to modify your body shape.

Notice that I didn't say weight, because muscle weighs more than fat.

You can weigh the exact same weight but have radically different body shape and tone.

Eat less, move more is the very basic rule.

Nutrition is a very difficult thing to balance unless you think about it and plan meals ahead.

Going on these fad diets is nonsense. 

Actually pay attention to what you eat, cut out the crap like chocolate and fried fast foods, and basically keep to calories in lower than calories out, and you'll be fine without ever needing to Google the word "Keto". 

If you do a lot of exercise, you can get away with eating a bit more.  Pretty simple stuff, but people seem to have such an issue with it! 

From most on here it seems a litle bit of common sense is being applied

Eat less and consider what you are eating, exercise more and you are on your way

There may be short term fads that help for a few weeks but if you are serious then it is that simple

Constantly going on the latest fad crash diet then piling the beef back on over and over does a great deal of long term damage to your body.

Keto works for some. Have seen people get ridiculously lean whilst doing keto. But have also seen plenty get results without. It's adherence that makes the difference, not the style of diet

I had a mate who has been doing it a good few years. I started about 5 years ago and it's changed and, probably extended my life. I've lost 5 stone in that time, I'm fitter now than I was my 40's. If you think of it as a "diet" as in you do it to lose weight then return to eating what and how you did before you will yo-yo. 100%. Initially I couldn't get round the intermittent fasting bit, particularly not having cereal for breakfast but genuinely don't miss it now. I also used to eat bread with everything, very rarely have it now. We eat far too much and too often. We eat to much sugar. 

There's a decent fb group, Ketogenic Generation with lots of meal ideas etc. Like yourself OP the food you can eat is the food I like so it's really not that hard for me. Good luck with it. Haven't got a six pack mind

done it for a bit. It works. but not susstainable for me. (was terrified of the potential hair loss and bad breath but CBA having to drink electrolytes [salt water mix to make up for what youre not getting from carbs] )

If you are very heavy set it is probably a good catalyst.

It did teach me fat isnt bad. I now avoid low fat options as they are mostly full of crap. I go for whole options and have fats and proteins as they end up keeping you fuller for longer so you eat less.

Its good at the start eating bacon and eggs etc you think its great but unlike other diets a simple slip up or moment of weakness can set you back. as just one "treat" can knock you out of ketosis (fat burn mode)

*no expert just my experience.

Used to work with a guy who used to be a marine and he was always going on about the keto diet. He was in ridiculously good shape but was very particular about having as little carbs as possible. 

Not for me if I’m honest - exercise and eat things in moderation 🤷‍♂️

dobmisterdobster

People weren't obese in the 50s. It only started in the 70s when the sugar lobby convinced everyone that fat was bad for you.

The only fats you should avoid are carcinogenic ones like hydrogenated fat.

AlphonseCapone

Foods with massive "low fat" labels but are full of sugar are criminal. Too many people still think if it's low fat it must be good.

Keto is not a great option as it is difficult to stick to both from a practical and mental view point. And in all honesty isn’t great for your overall health.

If you want to lose weight the most important starting point is to eat a calorie deficit. Without that you are going no where fast. 

In terms of what you eat within that calorie  deficit, a low carb (but not NO carb) approach is probably best. 

I went on this "diet" a couple of years ago and got in pretty good shape as a result. I wasn't grossly overweight beforehand but was most definitely carrying more weight than I should have. I had to wait until I recovered from a knee injury before I combined it with exercise but even before then I was starting to lose weight. Rather than sticking rigidily to the diet, simply cut out any crap you eat, focus on eating more veg and reduce carb intake sensibly and it will have the desired effect, as well as being sustainable.

Carbs aren't bad, people seem obsessed with cutting carbs and going 'low carb'. Keto is ok, but long term it's a tough one keep with. But, as with any 'diet', if you find one that suits your lifestyle, is sustainable to you, then who is anyone to advise you otherwise. 

When I'm I know I'm maybe a kilo or 2 over where I'd like to be I track my calories on My Fitness Pal for a couple of weeks and bring it back in line. It's really simple.

Also, I wish people would stop saying muscle weighs more than fat. It doesn't. It just takes up less mass. 5kg of muscle weighs the same as 5kg of fat!!

Captain Sausage
6 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

Carbs aren't bad, people seem obsessed with cutting carbs and going 'low carb'. Keto is ok, but long term it's a tough one keep with. But, as with any 'diet', if you find one that suits your lifestyle, is sustainable to you, then who is anyone to advise you otherwise. 

When I'm I know I'm maybe a kilo or 2 over where I'd like to be I track my calories on My Fitness Pal for a couple of weeks and bring it back in line. It's really simple.

Also, I wish people would stop saying muscle weighs more than fat. It doesn't. It just takes up less mass. 5kg of muscle weighs the same as 5kg of fat!!

I do the exact same. In pretty good shape,  but if my kid is ill, or work is busy, I can drop the ball for a few weeks at a time. When I feel I’m getting a bit of fat round the waste, I stick on myfitnesspal and it’s amazing how much it lowers your intake. 

It stops that mid afternoon chocolate bar or the nighttime snack. Those 3/400 calories are what make the difference. 

11 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I went on this "diet" a couple of years ago and got in pretty good shape as a result. I wasn't grossly overweight beforehand but was most definitely carrying more weight than I should have. I had to wait until I recovered from a knee injury before I combined it with exercise but even before then I was starting to lose weight. Rather than sticking rigidily to the diet, simply cut out any crap you eat, focus on eating more veg and reduce carb intake sensibly and it will have the desired effect, as well as being sustainable.

I started a couple of weeks before the cup final in may.  The Mrs wanted to try it so I said I'd do it too.

Bit crazy to start with - food portions down, no snacking etc so I did feel hungry at first, but you soon get into the habit.

Reducing carbs and eliminating sugars (as much as possible) also helps with the snacking, or lack of.  Drinking water when hungry helps.

Anyway, shed about a stone and a half, dropped a trouser size, and went from XL to L in shirt size.

Went on holiday and dropped out of the diet (was in Italy so had to eat pasta!) but now rather than go on a rigid diet, it's more what we want to do.  Carbs still reduced along with sugar, so no pasta, rice, wheat, bread etc.  If you can bin alcohol so much the better, but wine less carbs than beer, so I tend to drink wine.

On Keto they say you should limit your carb intake to 20g a day.  Half a roll is equivalent to that (apparently).

So, although not as strict now, I've probably put on a wee bit more, but new sizes still fit, so happy with that.

Was doing hit training exercise through it too (push ups, sit ups, tricep dips, plank) and did a 30 day plan for that, need to do these more regularly now to stay (or feel at least) fitter.  Instead of daily I do them every couple of days now.

Side effects?  Occasional really bad leg cramps during the night.  I take magnesium tablets to counter.  Positive side effect - feel less tired, sleep better, more alert at work.

I alternate between 5:2 and 6:1 depending on how I'm feeling. Very easy to do once you're in the swing of it. Just limit yourself to 500/600 calories once or twice a week. Keeps me in good shape for someone coming into middle age, and makes you feel incredible too.

By the end of a fast day, you're absolutely buzzing!