Billy Connolly.......

Section Q

Seymour M Hersh

I think Billy should step back from doing any media interviews now and definitely not do any more live shows.  I'd hate to see his brilliant career tinted in any way by this miserable disease. 

scott herbertson
On 13/10/2019 at 15:32, davemclaren said:

Saw him at the Kings in 74 or 75 I think. He was still wearing his banana boots at that time. He was also hilarious. 

Snap - he was brilliant back then - still had all the stories from his youth/ shipyard days fresh.

When the album first came out , round about the time of the Pastor Jack hassle (?1972?), my older brother and his mates got tickets to see him in a Miner's club in West Lothian. Word was getting round and although it was cabaret style they had sold hundreds of extra tickets. Bar open thoughout but rammed. One of my brothers' mates, after too many shandies, tried to get to the toilet, but couldn't get through the mob. He was also laughing so much at the same time - literally pished himself laughing..

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Snap - he was brilliant back then - still had all the stories from his youth/ shipyard days fresh.

When the album first came out , round about the time of the Pastor Jack hassle (?1972?), my older brother and his mates got tickets to see him in a Miner's club in West Lothian. Word was getting round and although it was cabaret style they had sold hundreds of extra tickets. Bar open thoughout but rammed. One of my brothers' mates, after too many shandies, tried to get to the toilet, but couldn't get through the mob. He was also laughing so much at the same time - literally pished himself laughing..

😳

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

He should have put on his incontinence pants before going out ....

Салатные палочки
9 hours ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

I’ve seen Billy Connolly twice, once in 2000 at Hammersmith and then sometime in the early 2000s at the armadillo, both times I’ve been absolutely buckled for the entirety of his shows. He was on each time for more than 2 hours and all of us were in pieces. 

I’ve seen a number of comedians and the only one that’s come close to making an entire audience laugh almost the entire time was Jim Jefferies last year in Minneapolis. 

Connolly is in his 70s, he’s made people laugh for over 50 years, I think he is allowed to not be as brilliant as he has but for me, he’s one of the funniest of my lifetime. 

:spoton:

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

If there has been a funnier comedian in the last 50 years I've not heard or seen them.

Not only is he an outstanding comedian, but his work on television and his work in films have been incredible.  He's even written three plays.  He's by no means a one-trick pony.

Was on One Show tonight but pre-recorded. Obviously shitting themselves that he may F-Bomb. Holding it together but clearly ill but the sparkle in the eyes still there. 

He told a wee story which resonated with Patrick Keilty and tbh me as well, I reckon with plenty on here also.

Get on catch up and enjoy.

The guy is comedic genius.

Image result for billy connolly gif

Edited by Beave1874

Governor Tarkin
On 18/10/2019 at 11:39, Lovecraft said:

Always came across as a genuinely lovely man on his touring shows.

I met him once on a street in Sydney around 2002 and he seemed like just a really nice and friendly normal bloke.

52 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I met him once on a street in Sydney around 2002 and he seemed like just a really nice and friendly normal bloke.

Good to hear it wasn't just for the cameras.

You wouldn't think so though, seeing how he spoke to people on the tours around the world.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/10/2019 at 16:22, ri Alban said:

Dave Chappelle is a bore. I like Bill Burr and wee kevin Hart is entertaining.

Joe Rogan, Brendan Shaub, Joey Diaz and that Theo dude are absolutely chronic.

Bill Burr is also a god shout. Kevin Hart is horrendous tho. 

Joe Rogan is Loose Women for men. 99% of his podcasts are absolutely brutal. Occasional gem but his stand up is utter garbage. Id also agree with Shaub and Diaz being pish. 

Nobody comes close to Stanhope for me. 

On 17/10/2019 at 22:02, benny said:

Behave the best in the last 10 years.Your first three have never come close to Connolly.

Chapelle Is the one everybody raves about and I just cannot get into him at all.

Who do you think has been the best stand up for the last 10 years then? 

7 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Who do you think has been the best stand up for the last 10 years then? 

Bill Burr,Jim Jefferies,Tom Stade,Norm Macdonald and Mickey Flanagan.

jack D and coke

Thought I’d seen all his stuff yet every so often on Facebook I see clips I hadn’t seen. Watched one the other day about a wildlife program where he was doing a sketch about lions before they attacked a zebra, I was literally pissing myself. I loved his world tour shows in the bbc a few years ago too, got an amazing way about him, you have to be very clever to be a comedian I reckon. 
Sad to see him deteriorating but he’s even funny talking about that. 
A real legend of a man. 

27 minutes ago, benny said:

Bill Burr,Jim Jefferies,Tom Stade,Norm Macdonald and Mickey Flanagan.

Mickey Flanagan? Come on now. IM GOING OUT OUT! Jesus. 

Love a bit of Jim Jefferies but his last netflix show was pretty poor imo. Tom Stade is decent, lives in Edinburgh nowadays. 

Im still sticking by Doug Stanhope. Hes about 9000 times edgier and funnier than anyone listed here (other than 70s/80s Billy Connolly). 

been here before

For those who've never seen it you can still get Billy Connollys episode of Who Do You Think You Are? on iplayer.

Its not bad.

Billy and Albert (his gig at Albert hall) is by far the funniest thing I’ve ever seen.I bought the video and had to keep pausing it because I was laughing so much I couldn’t breathe.

8 hours ago, The Brow said:

Joe Rogan is Loose Women for men. 99% of his podcasts are absolutely brutal. Occasional gem but his stand up is utter garbage. Id also agree with Shaub and Diaz being pish. 

I found out this morning that I'm going to see him on Saturday night. Can't wait now...

jack D and coke
7 hours ago, The Brow said:

Mickey Flanagan? Come on now. IM GOING OUT OUT! Jesus. 

Love a bit of Jim Jefferies but his last netflix show was pretty poor imo. Tom Stade is decent, lives in Edinburgh nowadays. 

Im still sticking by Doug Stanhope. Hes about 9000 times edgier and funnier than anyone listed here (other than 70s/80s Billy Connolly). 

Micky Flanagan is good. The out out stuff was funny at the time, it was one of those lines that got the life rinsed out it by Facebook mungals trying to be funny. Wine O clock and all that equally hilarious pish from middle aged ******s. 

I knew a guy who said he knew (I think it was) the director for "The Debt Collector", a film he made late 90s, and told me this story about him.

Apparently, Connolly could be a real arsehole at times and ****ing about on the shoot. The director fella pulled him aside and basically told him to stop acting like a *****, that this was the directors film, not Connolly's, and to basically sort himself out. 

I think it was the next day that Connolly spoke to the director fella and apologised profusely. He said he sometimes got a bit carried away with all the "Big Yin" pish and sometimes needed a kick up the arse and thanked the director for giving it to him. He was a model professional for the rest of the shoot. 

No idea if it's true or not, but if it is, I respect BC just that little bit more. 

20 hours ago, The Brow said:

The angry American. I like him anaw. Pretty handy with hecklers, is wee Doogie. :D

16 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Got into Doug Stanhope, Bill Burr and Louis CK (pre chugging scandal) in last two years. All very very funny imo 

Have you listened to Bill savaging the whole of Philadelphia at a gig in Philadelphia. Brilliant!

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Have you listened to Bill savaging the whole of Philadelphia at a gig in Philadelphia. Brilliant!

I think I'm possibly up to have listened to everything hes ever said except if he talked in his sleep last night.

Philly gig took big balls!

Brighton Jambo

Please could someone add a tag to the title to say ‘not dead’ as every time this thread gets a bump I have my heart in my mouth.  

On 18/10/2019 at 21:54, Maple Leaf said:

Not only is he an outstanding comedian, but his work on television and his work in films have been incredible.  He's even written three plays.  He's by no means a one-trick pony.

Top class folk musician back in his day as well. All started In the Waverly bar, Edinburgh  

20 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Got into Doug Stanhope, Bill Burr and Louis CK (pre chugging scandal) in last two years. All very very funny imo 

I've enjoyed Stanhope's stuff for year and think he is verging on genius a lot of the time. However the routine on youtube about Sarah Palin's disabled child goes way too far. It's like watching someone out of control.