Billy Connolly.......

Section Q

He's had some media coverage lately and sadly not looking too well. Footage of him in the US with the tartan suit is far removed from his peak when he rallied against all the sh1te he now seems to represent. Sad site these days. Loved his early stuff when you had to buy it on vinyl. Anyone remember the raw unpolished comedy of the man ....?

Oh aye, some classics like the crucifixion, the jobby wheecher and the jackets for duvets. Saw him about 5 years ago in Edinburgh and sadly he was shite.

ps. Gonnae put not dead in the title.

Салатные палочки

Up until about Live '94 he was untouchable as a comedian. Billy Bites Yer Bum, An Audience With..., Billy and Albert, Hammersmith Odeon and Live '94 are all favourites of mine. 

My dad used to always put on the Solo Concert record on a Sunday night after me and my sister had our baths for school the next day. 

9 hours ago, graygo said:

Oh aye, some classics like the crucifixion, the jobby wheecher and the jackets for duvets. Saw him about 5 years ago in Edinburgh and sadly he was shite.

ps. Gonnae put not dead in the title.

I saw him around 1988 in the Playhouse then again at the Usher Hall in, I think it was 2015.  The difference between the two shows was staggering. If the second one had been the first, it would have been the last.

Thankfully I've got the amazing earlier concert, where I left with my face sore from laughing, to remember him by.

Ricardo Shillyshally

Saw him @ 94 at the Usher Hall. I had to force myself to stop laughing as my face was sore.

Time has caught up with him now it seems

He used to make fun of everything tartan and hate the class system but eventually adopted both. Saw him a couple of times and had his early stuff on vinyl. Shame he's sick but can't work out how he's back on telly with a new show.

I wasn’t expecting to like the last live DVD, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I was still howling at bits (it’s the delivery not the content), but the downside was the clear repetition of old material (eg the Rob Roy set story about killing the cat).

The guy is a pioneer, easily the greatest comedian of all time.  In light of his illness I think we can cut him a bit slack and avoid the “if that was his first gig it would have been his last” chat.

Thought at first he had passed away...  Remember him on the old portable cassette player I got in 1973 as a birthday present...  

Had too keep turning off the tape as my mum hated him swearing......

He did a lot of that, back in the day.

1 hour ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Saw him @ 94 at the Usher Hall. I had to force myself to stop laughing as my face was sore.

Time has caught up with him now it seems

I was there.  I was only 15/16 and couldn’t get out of bed the next day because I must have pulled a muscle in my stomach laughing.  I was too young for the edgy, drunk, beardy big yin of the 70s and early 80s, but for me the 90s stuff is his best work.  The 97 gig at Hammersmith is also a big fav of mine.  Has my favourite comedy observation of all time (the one where he’s having Xmas dinner at the stately home with all the upper class head cases, one of which is a tobogonist 😂😂😂).

been here before

Michael McIntyre, Josh Widdicombe, Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervaise, Jack Whitehall, Romesh Raganathan, Rhod Gilbert at their best or...

Billy Connolly at his worst?

Only one winner there.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Michael McIntyre, Josh Widdicombe, Jimmy Carr, Ricky Gervaise, Jack Whitehall, Romesh Raganathan, Rhod Gilbert at their best or...

Only one winner there.

Billy was groundbreaking. Set the scene for all these pretenders. Quite like Romesh. 

It would be good if somebody could break out and be different. 

Saw him in Vancouver many many years ago, quite good. Watch him now on You Tube some of it I have to admit is pretty good, but some do show his age, and that is always sad to see in performers you have enjoyed. Mebbe because it is indicative of self.

33 minutes ago, Smack said:

Billy was groundbreaking. Set the scene for all these pretenders. Quite like Romesh. 

He's certainly different to Billy Connolly, he's not funny.

17 minutes ago, graygo said:

That funny he needs his ma as a prop.  She's funnier than romesh and she is utter pointless.  

15 minutes ago, graygo said:

He's sharp and witty. Billy was a man ahead of his time and still has folk believing he couldn't tell the joke he'd told 400 times before because he was laughing at it. Bill Burr is my man these days for all you care. 

Bites Yer Bum was immense. Had a rake for it but only certain bits are on YouTube unfortunately.

5 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

The guy is a pioneer, easily the greatest comedian of all time.  

Nah, that's George Carlin. Only Richard Pryor came close. 

48 minutes ago, Smack said:

Bill Burr is my man these days for all you care. 

Good man! :thumbsup: 

49 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Bites Yer Bum was immense. Had a rake for it but only certain bits are on YouTube unfortunately.

Just watched Billy on You Tube about flying to Australia and a guy gets on the plane and extols the treatment from Cathay. He falls asleep and farts well Connolys descriptions and actions were hilarioius. Another was two Glasgow boys in Rome. His impersonations were so funny because we have all seen the type in action again funny.

10 hours ago, Section Q said:

He used to make fun of everything tartan and hate the class system but eventually adopted both. Saw him a couple of times and had his early stuff on vinyl. Shame he's sick but can't work out how he's back on telly with a new show.

He was filming in Scotland in June last year if it's that show. 

10 hours ago, hueyview said:

Thought at first he had passed away...  Remember him on the old portable cassette player I got in 1973 as a birthday present...  

Had too keep turning off the tape as my mum hated him swearing......

He did a lot of that, back in the day.

I've got a cassette somewhere with The Crucifixion and The Jobbie Weecha on it, but sadly nothing to play it on. :(   Wait a minute though, I'm sure we've still got one of the kid's Home Alone cassette players somewhere. :D 

It was my dad who introduced me to Billy, which looking back was strange as I never ever heard him swear and he used to enjoy telling jokes from the Sunday Post.

Carl Fredrickson

My elder brothers had the In Concert album with the Crucifixion and the Jobbie Wheecha on it. I used to sneak into their room and listen to it and was in pain laughing at them. When I was 11 i saved my pocket money and bought (for £2,99) the Pick of Billy Connolly album. 38 years later I can still mind most of it word for word. 

The man was a comic genius. It is a nightmare to keep coming up with new material and very few comedians will have the longevity of BC. Yes he has been controversial. Yes he has upset folk. And YES he has told some of his stories on more than a few occasions. BUT and it is the important part he was and to me, still is funny. 

I saw a tribute show to him about 10 or more years ago and there were loads of comedians and entertainers paying tribute to him. Eddie Izzard (marmite man for most) said that he couldnt believe that BC only scripted the start and end of shows (which often were 2.5 hours long) with the vast majority being a "see how we go" attitude. 

I dont think anyone else has made me laugh as much as BC has and I still enjoy watching and listening to him when I can.   

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

I've got a cassette somewhere with The Crucifixion and The Jobbie Weecha on it, but sadly nothing to play it on. :(   Wait a minute though, I'm sure we've still got one of the kid's Home Alone cassette players somewhere. :D 

It was my dad who introduced me to Billy, which looking back was strange as I never ever heard him swear and he used to enjoy telling jokes from the Sunday Post.

Lucky. You’ll be able to listen to it sped up or in slow motion then. 

Shanks said no

Currently reading Janey Godley - Handstands in the Dark (a horrific tale of growing up in Glasgow) and noticed these lines by her from the late 70's

and LP's by cutting-edge Glasgow comedian Billy Connolly. Wow! I'd think, He can tell a story that isn't funny but the way he tells it makes it funny!

17 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Currently reading Janey Godley - Handstands in the Dark (a horrific tale of growing up in Glasgow) and noticed these lines by her from the late 70's

and LP's by cutting-edge Glasgow comedian Billy Connolly. Wow! I'd think, He can tell a story that isn't funny but the way he tells it makes it funny!

Off topic but my wife went to see her on Friday night and was raving about her.

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Off topic but my wife went to see her on Friday night and was raving about her.

Saw her a couple of months ago and she was astonishing. 

Horatio Caine
9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Saw her a couple of months ago and she was astonishing. 

That is astonishing.  I saw her recently on `Have I got news for you` and she was embarrassingly unfunny.

I thought BC seemed a lot more present in the most rececent American series. His eyes seemed to have a bit more about them and he was certainly walking a wee bit steadier. I believe he's having stem cell treatment.

Saw him at the Playhouse a good few years ago and was in tears. He did the skit about accidentally scaring his sister and the noise people really make when they're scared. The build up to it was just incredible.

A great comedian and thoroughly decent person. Shame he supports Celtic but no one is perfect

4 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

That is astonishing.  I saw her recently on `Have I got news for you` and she was embarrassingly unfunny.

She's a pain in the arse. 

Seen him a couple of years ago and while it was clear to see that his illness was having an impact he still had me in tears for the entirety of the show! 

Samuel Camazzola
On 13/10/2019 at 12:26, been here before said:

Only one winner there.

Quite an insult to include Ricky Gervais in that group. 

been here before
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Quite an insult to include Ricky Gervais in that group. 

In what way?

Its a cornucopia of shite. Gervais is the skittery sauce dressing.

Салатные палочки
10 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I thought BC seemed a lot more present in the most rececent American series. His eyes seemed to have a bit more about them and he was certainly walking a wee bit steadier. I believe he's having stem cell treatment.

Saw him at the Playhouse a good few years ago and was in tears. He did the skit about accidentally scaring his sister and the noise people really make when they're scared. The build up to it was just incredible.

A great comedian and thoroughly decent person. Shame he supports Celtic but no one is perfect

He did that one on his live in New York show and it was hilarious. 

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

She's a pain in the arse. 

She is brutal.  She blocked me on Twitter because I kept asking her about her friend Karen koren not paying back the money she owed Edinburgh.  Asked her if she was being hypocritical in slagging off corrupt politicians while her mate bumped the Edinburgh tax payer for 200k.  She's as funny as the Sunday post 

The sketch about going to the opera was the one that got me." He's going over there... ".etc

I can't find it anywhere on you tube unfortunately 

Drinking the water from bottle on holiday. Then the 4th fart runs down the back of his leg.

The nutter on the bus. Take a sweetie, aha, that's been up ma bum.

An audience is the best. Uncut version.

16 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Nationalism ruins everything. 

He is allowed a life.

Agree with you about nationalism mate but Connolly would seem to have had a decent life considering his success.

35 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Aye. I just meant, because he disagrees with Scotland becoming Independent, he is suddenly more of a baddie. Do you know what I mean?

Don't think he disagrees with independence any more .

On 13/10/2019 at 13:59, Smack said:

Doug Stanhope is easily the best comedian in the world and has been for at least ten years. The story about the assisted suicide of his own mother is heart breakingly funny and poignant. 

Thrown in Louis CK (still funny despite being a sex pest), Dave Chapelle, even someone like Adam Cayton-Holland whos writing is hysterical rather than his stand up and you have more original comedy available than ever before. 

Theres a whole world of great comedians out there if you're willing to look past BBC One on a Friday night. 

Edited by The Brow

On 13/10/2019 at 22:26, The Frenchman Returns said:

Is that the woman that does those voice-over things with clips of Nicola Sturgeon that keep popping up on my facebook feed?

If so she is absolutely chronic. 

14 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Aye. I just meant, because he disagrees with Scotland becoming Independent, he is suddenly more of a baddie. Do you know what I mean?

👍

There are several comedians I like, but Billy Connolly is the only one who has had me laughing so hard that tears were literally running down my face.

It's mostly bathroom humour, of course, and that isn't everyone's cup of tea.

8 hours ago, The Brow said:

Doug Stanhope is easily the best comedian in the world and has been for at least ten years. The story about the assisted suicide of his own mother is heart breakingly funny and poignant. 

Thrown in Louis CK (still funny despite being a sex pest), Dave Chapelle, even someone like Adam Cayton-Holland whos writing is hysterical rather than his stand up and you have more original comedy available than ever before. 

Theres a whole world of great comedians out there if you're willing to look past BBC One on a Friday night. 

Dave Chappelle is a bore. I like Bill Burr and wee kevin Hart is entertaining.

Joe Rogan, Brendan Shaub, Joey Diaz and that Theo dude are absolutely chronic.

Edited by ri Alban

14 hours ago, The Brow said:

Behave the best in the last 10 years.Your first three have never come close to Connolly.

Chapelle Is the one everybody raves about and I just cannot get into him at all.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I’ve seen Billy Connolly twice, once in 2000 at Hammersmith and then sometime in the early 2000s at the armadillo, both times I’ve been absolutely buckled for the entirety of his shows. He was on each time for more than 2 hours and all of us were in pieces. 

I’ve seen a number of comedians and the only one that’s come close to making an entire audience laugh almost the entire time was Jim Jefferies last year in Minneapolis. 

Connolly is in his 70s, he’s made people laugh for over 50 years, I think he is allowed to not be as brilliant as he has but for me, he’s one of the funniest of my lifetime.