1hr 59 mins 40.2 secs

been here before

been here before

Eluid Kipchoge runs a marathon in under 2 hrs

Alright its not an 'official' record but rather a Guinness one but13mph for 2 hours and he doesnt look like he's out of breath.

Some achievement.

No lap of honour mind

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

TV hystericals comparing him to Neil Armstrong and Edmund Hillary.

:vrface:

But not . . . to Roger Bannister? 🤔

5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye they compared it to Bannister.

At least there is some semblance of sense with that one

It wasn't a proper competition. Also they had to wait for the conditions to be right before he started. Still a bloody good achievement. Wouldn't catch me doing that especially when all you get is a pat on the back,

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It wasn't a proper competition. Also they had to wait for the conditions to be right before he started. Still a bloody good achievement. Wouldn't catch me doing that especially when all you get is a pat on the back,

:laugh:

When I opened this I honestly thought it might be about the average time it now takes to complete an 80-minute international Rugby Union match.

Edited by leginten

An incredible achievement and a very humble man.

Having ran a few half marathons i look at sub 2hrs but cant imagine how you do that for a full.

Couple of years ago in London they set up a running machine with what it takes to run like an elite marathon runner. At the time I was doing plenty running and training for a half marathon at the time. I lasted 30 odd seconds. It was basically a sprint for me

Just incredible amounts of fitness required really. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

TV hystericals comparing him to Neil Armstrong and Edmund Hillary.

:vrface:

It’s an incredible demonstration of human endurance; the Neil Armstrong one is maybe a stretch, but don’t see an issue with the Edmund Hillary one; both push boundaries in their chosen discipline and showed what’s possible with the right team and preparation.

Some may see it as ‘only running’, but it’s hard to comprehend the pace he has had to maintain for that distance; c17s per 100m for 26 miles. The amount of training, endurance, mental strength and strategy required to hit that is huge...you’ve got to properly put the body through the mill.

Edited by combo74

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

All the pacesetters managed it right behind him, or were the occasionally jumping into a car🤔

The pacemakers got swapped in an out every 5k or so. It was pretty impressive how seamless the changeovers were.

34 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

An incredible achievement and a very humble man.

Having ran a few half marathons i look at sub 2hrs but cant imagine how you do that for a full.

To put it in perspective he averaged 13.1365 mph  average mile speed 4.567427 according to my quick calculation --------------------------------------- on my phone calculator.

55 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

To put it in perspective he averaged 13.1365 mph  average mile speed 4.567427 according to my quick calculation --------------------------------------- on my phone calculator.

yep it is like running the 100m 420 od times in a time of 17-18s 

The sub 2-hour marathon has been a real prospect for a few years now.

Yes, this was a special event designed purely to help an athlete achieve the time but I'm sure it won't be too long before we see it in regular competition.

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Aye they compared it to Bannister.

In fairness Bannister had a pacemaker in Chris Brasher I can,t see a woman breaking the four minute barrier at least in my lifetime. Sifan Hassan recently ran just over 4 12 to claim the world record but she is surrounded by controversy.

I see it as the first man to run a marathon in under 2 hours but not the first to win a race in under 2 hours. Amazing achievement but totally plotted out by science and planning. Incredible achievement all the same. 

What I find intriguing (particularly when there has been so many drug cheats) is the longevity of the long jump and triple jump. It is astonishing that Bob Beamon  and Mike Powell are the only two to have held the record since 1968 -- 23 years and 1991 28 years. All credit to Jonathon Edwards as well whose triple jump record is still intact since the late 90,s

25 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

What I find intriguing (particularly when there has been so many drug cheats) is the longevity of the long jump and triple jump. It is astonishing that Bob Beamon  and Mike Powell are the only two to have held the record since 1968 -- 23 years and 1991 28 years. All credit to Jonathon Edwards as well whose triple jump record is still intact since the late 90,s

Jarmila Kratochvilova's 800m record is my favourite. 😁

41 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

These events don't attract the elite athletes as they carry a high risk of injury and the sponsorship and prize money attached to them is a lot lower than it is for other events. Greg Rutherford didn't have a sponsor the year after he won the Olympics.

Someone like Bolt would have been able to take the long jump record but it isn't worth his time as the potential loss of earnings caused by increased injury risk is likely to be greater than what he would earn by staying injury free and concentrating on the sprints.

Edited by Stokesy

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I forgot about her. Certainly stood the test of time,.

3 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

These events don't attract the elite athletes as they carry a high risk of injury and the sponsorship and prize money attached to them is a lot lower than it is for other events. Greg Rutherford didn't have a sponsor the year after he won the Olympics.

Someone like Bolt would have been able to take the long jump record but it isn't worth his time as the potential lose of earnings caused by increased injury risk is likely to be greater than what he would earn by staying injury free and concentrating on the sprints.

Fair comment but doesn,t diminish the achievement

3 hours ago, leginten said:

When I opened this I honestly thought it might be about the average time it now takes to complete an 80-minute international Rugby Union match.

Knew it couldn't be about American football. 15 minute quarters, 60 minutes of actual play but it takes about 4 hours. 

Sometimes with a pop concert halfway through. 

Crazy. 

been here before
1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

In fairness Bannister had a pacemaker in Chris Brasher I can,t see a woman breaking the four minute barrier at least in my lifetime. Sifan Hassan recently ran just over 4 12 to claim the world record but she is surrounded by controversy.

Bannister also 'doctored' his spikes by sharpening them and coating them in graphite to stop pieces of ash from the track sticking to them.

It was also his intention to race on a different day but the weather changed to more favourable conditions and Bannister chose to run it that day.

Doesnt diminish the acheivement in the slightest though.

Edited by been here before

32 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Every women’s record up to the 1500m was set in the 1980’s. Funny how the 2 held by eastern bloc runners are always mentioned as proof of drugging but it’s rarely mentioned that Florence Griffith Joyner went from good to being someone who smashed her own records on a regular basis then quickly retired. And then of course died at the age of 38. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Every women’s record up to the 1500m was set in the 1980’s. Funny how the 2 held by eastern bloc runners are always mentioned as proof of drugging but it’s rarely mentioned that Florence Griffith Joyner went from good to being someone who smashed her own records on a regular basis then quickly retired. And then of course died at the age of 38. 

Flo Jo enjoyed almost pop status when she retired. Tragic she died so young.

10 minutes ago, been here before said:

Bannister also 'doctored' his spikes by sharpening them and coating them in graphite to stop pieces of ash from the track sticking to them.

It was also his intention to race on a different day but the weather changed to more favourable conditions and Bannister chose to run it that day.

Doesnt diminish the acheivement in the slightest though.

Suppose being a medical student at the time he was entitled. As you say it was a great achievement and got the record just in front of Landy

3 hours ago, Cade said:

The sub 2-hour marathon has been a real prospect for a few years now.

Yes, this was a special event designed purely to help an athlete achieve the time but I'm sure it won't be too long before we see it in regular competition.

World records have long had help. Seb Coe's multiple records were assisted by pace setters.

It what it is. He is an amazing athlete.

The way it has been done devalues the record. Though I know my attitude shared by many is a little mean. 

The commercial benefits will be worth it. 

People are too hung up on world records.

Today wasn't about setting a world record, it was about showing a human can run 26.2 miles in under 2 hours which is an astonishing achievement.

Seen folk saying it’s a great feat of human endurance.

But is it up there with watching a Craig Levein team for 90 mins plus extra time on a cold, wet midweek night? 🤔

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Knew it couldn't be about American football. 15 minute quarters, 60 minutes of actual play but it takes about 4 hours. 

Sometimes with a pop concert halfway through. 

Crazy. 

I would quite enjoy American Football if they cut out all the stoppages and just cracked on with the same 11 players for a full quarter, or limited it to maybe 5 changes, instead of pissing about making endless substitutions. Makes it so tedious to watch.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

I would quite enjoy American Football if they cut out all the stoppages and just cracked on with the same 11 players for a full quarter, or limited it to maybe 5 changes, instead of pissing about making endless substitutions. Makes it so tedious to watch.

Watched it for the first time last year. Superbowl, I think.

I agree, Ray. The actual play was interesting and quite enjoyable but the long analysis (presumably ad breaks in the US) in between each 20 second passage of play made it unwatchable for me. 

Then, there was a concert half way through. 

been here before
25 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Seen folk saying it’s a great feat of human endurance.

But is it up there with watching a Craig Levein team for 90 mins plus extra time on a cold, wet midweek night? 🤔

😴

4 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Fair comment. I often find it all a bit random. Relative to everyone else, Michael Johnson and Usain Bolt were complete freaks. They weren't a result of sports science, marginal gains or anything like that - just freaks! I'll never forget when Johnson ran 19.32 in Atlanta. The time flashed up and I started screaming: the only time I've ever done that watching athletics.

That record might've stood half a century if it wasn't for Superman coming along and making everyone look ridiculous. And being such a great guy beyond that meant, quite rightly, that hardly anyone ever thought "drugs". 

Beamon's record, of course, was only broken after an extraordinary competition in super-fast conditions in Tokyo: where six men had already run under 10 seconds in the 100m final. And Edwards can barely understand himself why his performances in 1995 were so superhuman. So here's two videos - one of his sometimes forgotten wind-aided 18.43 (which even with the wind, does look fractionally more explosive than his world record) - and the other one breaking down his 18.29 and explaining it all perfectly.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Watching Johnson run was poetry in motion. The only other athlete who had a similar aura in the way he ate up the track was Herb Elliot . Glad for Edwards that he still holds the record as he is such an unassuming guy.

Possibly a reflection on me but whenever I now see outstanding athletic achievement,  I think doping is involved. 

Currently there are 43 Kenyan athletes suspended for doping, so sadly can't get excited about this at all.

3 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Watching Johnson run was poetry in motion. The only other athlete who had a similar aura in the way he ate up the track was Herb Elliot . Glad for Edwards that he still holds the record as he is such an unassuming guy.

Michael Johnson is my favourite of all time. If he was ever found to have been doping I'd be completely done with athletics. 

I remember watching on the TV when there was an athletics meeting at Meadowbank and he almost broke the 200m world record running 19.85.

Still one of the most jaw dropping sporting things I've ever seen.

8 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Michael Johnson is my favourite of all time. If he was ever found to have been doping I'd be completely done with athletics. 

I remember watching on the TV when there was an athletics meeting at Meadowbank and he almost broke the 200m world record running 19.85.

I think everyone growing up around that time remember it! It was horribly cold from memory - and yes, it was jaw-dropping.

There's a good section in Roger Black's autobiography about Johnson. Basically saying "it's impossible for him to be on drugs - his entire life would be a lie, all that sponsorship would be a lie, Johnson's own brilliant autobiography would be a lie... No-one could do that and get away with it". Which, IMO, is dead right. Other athletes in Black's era were at it - such as Antonio Pettigrew, who denied him the chance of becoming World Champion, or Butch Reynolds, who obliterated the 400m world record in 1987, complete with world-beating commentary from Ron Pickering - but Johnson wasn't. Nor was Bolt.

Edited by shaun.lawson

15 hours ago, Costanza said:

I remember reading that if the conditions had been better that night he'd have broken the world record. No question that Johnson was a brilliant athlete and always seems like quite a down to earth, humble guy as well.

It's still weird to think that he suffered a stroke a few years ago. Just makes you realise that there's only so much anyone can do to try and avoid health problems.  

Edited by stirlo

On 12/10/2019 at 06:12, 132goals1958 said:

Running a sub-five minute mile is an achievement far beyond the capabilities of most people. He ran 26 of them one after another.

Amazing.

21 hours ago, Costanza said:

Possibly a reflection on me but whenever I now see outstanding athletic achievement,  I think doping is involved. 

Currently there are 43 Kenyan athletes suspended for doping, so sadly can't get excited about this at all.

Kipchoge is without a doubt one of, if not the greatest of all time and been doing it for almost 20years so im giving him this one.

Edited by Jamboelite

26 minutes ago, Cade said:

Shitey pants Radcliffe's record got broken today too.

Broken by a woman coached by a company with previous doping investigations and banned athletes.