Random heroes

Smack

People who give you a jump start. Some Irish hero in a van popped up for me today and opened the unopenable bonnet of my old banger and had me moving in ten minutes. Thanked him, but of course you have to drive off in such circumstances. Had me feeling like a damsel in distress, all weak at the knees. God bless these heroes. 

Wilfred Hyde-White

eb16cb218d0e846488567aae5e8aa3bd.jpg

Dunno why - he always just makes me smile when I see him in some old film!

Oh, and also the Borders Buses driver who let me off (and straight back on again afterwards) his bus when I desperately needed a pish :olly:in the middle-of-feckin'-nowhere, one night a few months ago. A true hero.   :icon14:

Салатные палочки

When I crashed my scooter last year, a guy in a works van stopped, strapped the bike up in the back of his van and drove me home miles out of his way. Still can't remember his name as I had concussion but will always be grateful to him as I was in the middle of nowhere. 

As a hitch-hiker (well ex-hitch-hiker now), I've witnessed so many random kindnesses, they'll keep me smiling when I'm spending my last few years in my rocking chair and reflecting on my past. People driving hundreds of kilometres out of their way, feeding me, giving me a bed or a floor for the night, rescuing me when it's pissing down and I'm soaked through. Hitch-hiking has taught me so much about human kindness - all the guys and gals who've picked me up are my random heroes.

A wee boy in a wheelchair of around 10 showed up with his mum at the skatepark. He had more armour on than Robocop but he had his mum shove him up every ramp that she could manage so he could freewheel back down.

A wee boy who's legs don't work living his best life without a care in the world, totally unaware of how inspiring he is. When someone tells me they can't do something I think of that wee boy.  A true hero.

His mum, very much up there with him.

I used to live across the road from the primary school that my son attended. Was off one day and doing stuff in the upstairs bedroom. I saw a girl, maybe eight years old, with some kind of disability that affected her legs, in the playground working with an adult. Her crutches were on the ground and she was on the small wooden frame things that kids play on that has a shoogly base but bits you can hold on to. She must’ve been there five minutes but she made it to the end and I willed her every step of the way. I cheered  when she got to the end - she nearly had me bubbling. Put whatever shite I was worrying about that day in perspective. 

My late brother is arguably a hero. From birth he had all sorts of problems resulting in many operations on his legs resulting in amputation. He attended Grahysmill School for children with special needs and then college in West Lothian. He eventually lost his relatively short life to cancer and will be remembered for his love of life and all things Hearts. A plaque in the memorial garden commemorates his time with us.  I sometimes wish I could be more like him. Everyone who knew/met him would comment how infectious his love for life was. A PHM in the literal sense. RIP