Sky Go App on PS4

cjambo1993

Looking for a bit of help / advice with a problem I'm having with the Sky Go app on my PS4. I recently moved house and after eventually getting my NowTV fibre broadband switched to the new address (no less than 26 days later), I'm having serious difficulty getting a clear picture through on the Sky Go app. The annoying thing is it works fine sometimes but seems to be particularly bad when trying to stream anything at peak times which is a nightmare for watching football etc. as its unwatchable.

I've tried doing multiple speed tests and whilst I'm not getting the speeds they say I should be, it's still between 10 - 25 Mbps most of the time. Now TV are saying the speed they are providing to the hub is 36Mbps but even trying a wired connection to the PS4 has very little effect. I can stream things like Netflix and BBC iplayer ok and even Sky Go during the day but trying to watch anything at night is impossible, which makes me think it could be the app.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone else has come across the same issue and managed to resolve it or would have any advice for ways to improve it. I'm at my wits end and seriously fed up of moaning to folk in a call centre who have no idea what hey're talking about 😄

27 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sounds like your connection is getting throttled at peak times.

Proper HD would need a stable 20mb I'd say.

Would that be down to NowTV? I was on the phone to them for 2 hours the other night between 7 and 9 and was told I was getting the full 36Mbps to the hub, which I thought was bullsh*t.

I've been with them 18 months and not had a problem until now but if its the connection they're supplying I'll probably go somewhere else.

jack D and coke
50 minutes ago, cjambo1993 said:

Would that be down to NowTV? I was on the phone to them for 2 hours the other night between 7 and 9 and was told I was getting the full 36Mbps to the hub, which I thought was bullsh*t.

I've been with them 18 months and not had a problem until now but if its the connection they're supplying I'll probably go somewhere else.

Sky tell lies with speeds, NOW is sky isn’t it? Download a speed test and test at same time as you’re trying to watch. Netflix etc doesn’t require anything like the DL speed a live feed does therefore the picture will be good. An HD stream requires around 20+mbps. 

25 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Sky tell lies with speeds, NOW is sky isn’t it? Download a speed test and test at same time as you’re trying to watch. Netflix etc doesn’t require anything like the DL speed a live feed does therefore the picture will be good. An HD stream requires around 20+mbps. 

I'm pretty sure it is Sky yes. I've found a plan with Vodaphone which offers twice what Now TV are "providing" me with for £2 extra a month so that seems like a no brainer.

Say What Again

That's a strange one as my broabands speeds are woeful (and there's no plans to upgrade the exchange). I max at 11Mb an frequently drop to around the 2-3Mb range.

I watch Sky solely through the PS4 and I've rarely had an issue with it. In fact the last time I noticed it I was doing some work at home and was downloading software on my laptop, which caused the picture quality to drop. It returned when the download finished.

28 minutes ago, Say What Again said:

That's a strange one as my broabands speeds are woeful (and there's no plans to upgrade the exchange). I max at 11Mb an frequently drop to around the 2-3Mb range.

I watch Sky solely through the PS4 and I've rarely had an issue with it. In fact the last time I noticed it I was doing some work at home and was downloading software on my laptop, which caused the picture quality to drop. It returned when the download finished.

That is strange. I'll maybe take the playstation to my girlfriends and see what the quality is like over the weekend. If its sound then i'll know it's the WiFi. Cheers