*** Big Hearts Foodbank Collection 20 October 2019

Dagger Is Back

Dagger Is Back

Big Hearts, Jambos Kickback and Heart Of Midlothian, are once again joining forces on 20 October, the day of the home game against Rangers, to collect donations of non-perishable food in support of the Community One Stop Shop. http://www.coss-broomhouse.org.uk/ Last year Hearts fans kindly contributed 400-440kg of supplies and donated £2800, which allowed COSS to support hundreds of local families in need.

The Community One Stop Shop has been assisting the residents of Broomhouse and its surrounding area, for over 17 years. In November 2012, they launched the Broomhouse Foodbank which offers free packs of food to families and individuals in crisis. They feed an average of 400 people every month, and a significant increase is expected over the Festive season and well into the New Year. Supported by donations of non-perishable food, they are able to make a real difference to families living in poverty in the area.

The collection will be held between 1000am and kick off at 1215pm at Foundation Plaza, where donations can be handed in to the team of volunteers in attendance. There will also be a drop off point at the gates to the Wheatfield Stand

The following suggested items would be gratefully received;

- Tinned meals i.e. stew, chilli, meatballs

- Tinned vegetables

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Cereals/Biscuits

- Other long shelf life products

Many people find it difficult to support events like this in terms of finding the time to get donations along to a collection point etc, so with the agreement of the JKB Board, we’ve set up a donations function to allow people to contribute financially to this worthwhile cause. This will run from now until midnight on 3 November.

If you’d like to donate, please follow this link

The proceeds will be collected, and once we have a final amount, the Community One Stop Shop will be able to buy additional supplies including fresh fruits, bread and toiletries, which will allow them to continue to support families into the New Year.  The JKB Board have generously agreed to cover all Paypal fees which means 100% of funds donated will go to COSS for the benefit of local families.

JKB has a long and proud history of supporting many charitable causes and any donations will make such a huge difference to families in crisis.  A huge thank you in advance of your support

I’d like to thank the JKB Board once again, for their valued advice, and support of this initiative

Social-Post-Foodbank.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Dagger Is Back

• i8hibsh

• Pasquale for King

45 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Bump.

Heard there was a shortage of soup at the food bank?

Soup is always a good thing to give. 👍

...a bit disco
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Soup is always a good thing to give. 👍

The food of life Dave.

:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Big Hearts, Jambos Kickback and Heart Of Midlothian, are once again joining forces on 20 October, the day of the home game against Rangers, to collect donations of non-perishable food in support of the Community One Stop Shop. http://www.coss-broomhouse.org.uk/ Last year Hearts fans kindly contributed 400-440kg of supplies and donated £2800, which allowed COSS to support hundreds of local families in need.

The Community One Stop Shop has been assisting the residents of Broomhouse and its surrounding area, for over 17 years. In November 2012, they launched the Broomhouse Foodbank which offers free packs of food to families and individuals in crisis. They feed an average of 400 people every month, and a significant increase is expected over the Festive season and well into the New Year. Supported by donations of non-perishable food, they are able to make a real difference to families living in poverty in the area.

The collection will be held between 1000am and kick off at 1215pm at Foundation Plaza, where donations can be handed in to the team of volunteers in attendance. There will also be a drop off point at the gates to the Wheatfield Stand

- Tinned vegetables

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Cereals/Biscuits

Many people find it difficult to support events like this in terms of finding the time to get donations along to a collection point etc, so with the agreement of the JKB Board, we’ve set up a donations function to allow people to contribute financially to this worthwhile cause. This will run from now until midnight on 3 November.

If you’d like to donate, please follow this link  https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/donate/make-donation/

The proceeds will be collected, and once we have a final amount, the Community One Stop Shop will be able to buy additional supplies including fresh fruits, bread and toiletries, which will allow them to continue to support families into the New Year.  The JKB Board have generously agreed to cover all Paypal fees which means 100% of funds donated will go to COSS for the benefit of local families.

JKB has a long and proud history of supporting many charitable causes and any donations will make such a huge difference to families in crisis.  A huge thank you in advance of your support

I’d like to thank the JKB Board once again, for their valued advice, and support of this initiative

Social-Post-Foodbank.png

Bump

Hope those collecting get many donations great initiative 

However its an absolute travesty that these Isles have come to this where people are living in such poverty they can't afford food in such a rich country(ies) . 

• davemclaren pinned this topic
Dagger Is Back
15 hours ago, AW1 said:

Hope those collecting get many donations great initiative 

However its an absolute travesty that these Isles have come to this where people are living in such poverty they can't afford food in such a rich country(ies) . 

It is a travesty you're right. In a country like ours, it's a shameful situation

• davemclaren unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

It is a travesty you're right. In a country like ours, it's a shameful situation

It is indeed. 

4 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Absolutely, total disgrace

lost in leith

Sad that this kind of initiative is necessary, but it is.  Well done to Dagger is Back and others involved for making the effort.  Donation made.

2 hours ago, lost in leith said:

Sad that this kind of initiative is necessary, but it is.  Well done to Dagger is Back and others involved for making the effort.  Donation made.

All for a great cause. 👍

On 11/10/2019 at 11:34, Dagger Is Back said:

- Tinned vegetables

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Cereals/Biscuits

If you’d like to donate, please follow this link  https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/donate/make-donation/

Social-Post-Foodbank.png

Now raised over £200. 

Pasquale for King

- Tinned vegetables

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Cereals/Biscuits

Social-Post-Foodbank.png

If any isn’t going to the game or aren’t in the area there are other options, hand stuff into the Diggers for instance.

6D77880A-E9F6-4DF6-95D1-FD6824C523BA.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If any isn’t going to the game or aren’t in the area there are other options, hand stuff into the Diggers for instance.

6D77880A-E9F6-4DF6-95D1-FD6824C523BA.jpeg

Thanks for posting. Good that they eill collect stuff in the pub. Bonus is that you can have a pint at the same time. 🍺

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Thanks for posting. Good that they eill collect stuff in the pub. Bonus is that you can have a pint at the same time. 🍺

Cheers Dave.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Donation made.  I'm also going to use up some Nectar points to buy a few supplies from Sainsbury's, I then have the perfect excuse to pop into the Diggers for a small refreshment!

- Tinned vegetables

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Cereals/Biscuits

Social-Post-Foodbank.png

Bumping this. 

Pasquale for King
On 15/10/2019 at 18:53, RobNox said:

Donation made.  I'm also going to use up some Nectar points to buy a few supplies from Sainsbury's, I then have the perfect excuse to pop into the Diggers for a small refreshment!

I like your thinking 👍🏽

Dagger Is Back

Thanks to everyone for their generosity. Brilliant work by the Diggers too in collecting donations.

I’ve seen the amazing work that these guys do at first hand. It’s heartbreaking that in this day and age Foodbanks exist, but make no mistake, they’re very much needed in our communities.

I’ve said it before, it’s a thin line for many between needing the support of a Foodbank and not.

Some of the stories we heard last year when visiting the shop were very upsetting. It’s just unacceptable that in 2019 we have families struggling to afford to eat, and having to make decisions about food or heat

I do not wish to compromise the good nature of this thread but I have a question.  What qualifies someone for receiving these parcels?  Is it walk up or are they registered?  I hope so much this great act is not abused.

Thanks to all who can contribute either through the link on here or in person on match day. 

Poverty, in certain parts of our city, is still on the rise and food banks provide a vital stop-gap for those hit hardest. COSS provides emergency food and vital help to those who are struggling and in need. 

The impact of Hearts’ Fans, including those from JKB, has in previous years fed hundreds and hundreds of families. 

Again, Thank You. 

Edited by BigHearts

Great way to get supplies to those in need. As many have said it’s a travesty so many people in this country find themselves in this position.

will bring some goods along to the game on Sunday. Well done to all those involved 

This situation is a disgrace,.  Not one person in this country should have to rely on foodbanks provided by their local communities.

There will always be people in need and as a society it's 100% correct that we help them., I just think the Government should be doing a lot more.

I will be heading to the game early on Sunday and head to Lidl to get a few bags of stuff for this wonderful cause.  I can afford to do this and can afford the extra tax if it was demanded of me to help people in need, not to subsidise the ever growing rich elites.  I was out of work for nearly 5 years due to circumstances and struggled month to month, sometimes not eating so that the house was warm and my kids were fed and clothed so I can relate to some of the people this bank will help out.

hereford_hearts

Well done guys. As I'm not local, I can't contribute to the food bank, but rest assured, I always put something into the donation trolley at my local Tesco.

Keep up the good work Jambos!!

hereford_hearts

Well done guys. As I'm not local, I can't contribute to the food bank, but rest assured, I always put something into the donation trolley at my local Tesco.

Keep up the good work Jambos!!

hereford_hearts

Stuck a tenner in for the cause.

Around Christmas I always try and put some stuff in for the kids. I have shopped in a small local Tesco for over 20 years. They were selling selection boxes for £2. I asked one of the managers I know, how much would he charge me for 20 boxes if I put them in the food bank. He said a quid each. A little old lady overheard this and asked if she could do the same. He said yes, and she said 'how many do you have. It turned out that on the shelf and in the stock room there were just under 250 boxes. She bought the lot! They had to put an extra donation trolley out for all of the selection boxes!

Edited by hereford_hearts
Spelling

36 minutes ago, hereford_hearts said:

Around Christmas I always try and put some stuff in for the kids. I have shopped in a small local Tesco for over 20 years. They were selling selection boxes for £2. I asked one of the managers I know, how much would he charge me for 20 boxes if I put them in the food bank. He said a quid each. A little old lady overheard this and asked if she could do the same. He said yes, and she said 'how many do you have. It turned out that on the shelf and in the stock room there were just under 250 boxes. She bought the lot! They had to put an extra donation trolley out for all of the selection boxes!

Nice one from the old lady. 😎

Dagger Is Back
51 minutes ago, hereford_hearts said:

Brilliant story

Dagger Is Back
23 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I do not wish to compromise the good nature of this thread but I have a question.  What qualifies someone for receiving these parcels?  Is it walk up or are they registered?  I hope so much this great act is not abused.

COSS partner with City of Edinburgh Council and Scottish Welfare fund to accept referrals for the South West of Edinburgh (but actually receive referrals from all over the City).  They can also accept self-referrals if the client is in crisis and is urgent need of help

Dagger Is Back

I spoke to Carol at COSS this morning and she's delighted at our efforts thus far and very grateful for the support of Hearts fans everywhere. You can't underestimate how much of a need there is and the positive impact that initiatives like this make

This story is just one of far too many

We are currently working with a gentleman who is receiving treatment for cancer of the pancreas.  He has worked until recently until his illness has took hold.  He  is awaiting a claim for benefits, and as he does not (thankfully) have a terminal diagnosis the benefit application can take up to 12 weeks. Until he receives some benefits we are supporting him with food, benefit advice and someone to listen to him

Also, is this exclusive to Hearts fans - I hope so very much it is.  We look after our own community and we should not be a charity.

Dagger Is Back
31 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Also, is this exclusive to Hearts fans - I hope so very much it is.  We look after our own community and we should not be a charity.

Sorry I’m probably being thick here. What do you mean exclusive to Hearts fans?

53 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Sorry I’m probably being thick here. What do you mean exclusive to Hearts fans?

We should only be supplying food parcels for fellow fans.

45 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

We should only be supplying food parcels for fellow fans.

You are all heart, pun intended. Let's hope you or  ,God forbid , your kids never fall on hard times.

6 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

You are all heart, pun intended. Let's hope you or  ,God forbid , your kids never fall on hard times.

We are a football club and we should look after our own first imo. Let Hibs etc have their own food bank days.

For what it’s worth I do kind of support this initiative but we are not a charity. I tell you now if I made a food parcel up and 2 people wanted it a Hibs family or Hearts family it would go to the Hearts one.

We need to start toughening up as a club.  We are a family and should start focusing on the inside instead of the outside.

18 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

We are a football club and we should look after our own first imo. Let Hibs etc have their own food bank days.

For what it’s worth I do kind of support this initiative but we are not a charity. I tell you now if I made a food parcel up and 2 people wanted it a Hibs family or Hearts family it would go to the Hearts one.

We need to start toughening up as a club.  We are a family and should start focusing on the inside instead of the outside.

What a shocking attitude. You would prioritise which other human being you would give food to depending on which football team they support! 

22 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Big Hearts is a charity. 

38 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Big Hearts is a charity. 

Yes and it is one of the better ones but it should be for the Hearts family.

40 minutes ago, buzz said:

What a shocking attitude. You would prioritise which other human being you would give food to depending on which football team they support! 

In this case yes, as in, supplied by Hearst fans for Hearts fans.

15 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

OUR MISSION

Big Hearts is a family-focused charity, aiming to improve the lives of people who are at risk of social isolation across our communities, with a focus on South West Edinburgh.

As official charity partner of Heart of Midlothian Football Club, Big Hearts uses the power of the Club’s crest to better support and reach out to individuals and families in need.

We work closely with a network of  local charities and partners to build and deliver targeted support that will create positive social change. In 2018 Big Hearts initiated a new direction, focusing on 5 identified areas of need in our community that will shape our work over the next three years

been here before
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

19 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

18 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

In this case yes, as in, supplied by Hearst fans for Hearts fans.

0959047C-EFE8-4451-80EE-2ED373F8C8B2.gif.0dd200b5a09b29ee4521f389b8151f58.gif.46d442f86b5cc7b71d14f92fa8c7a076.gif