Hickey: The Guardian's Next Generation

Tenor

MarkDevriesScores4

Man City reportedly looking at £2m offer. If we sold him for that to one of the world’s wealthiest clubs I would feel cheated tbh.

13 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Man City reportedly looking at £2m offer. If we sold him for that to one of the world’s wealthiest clubs I would feel cheated tbh.

Agreed.

17 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Cheated?

That would be a rectal violation.

Ofcourse the lad is a big talent but he looked lost on Saturday stuck on the touchline. Hopefully the coaching nursery don’t come up with anymore bright ideas like that again.

There are plenty of examples of young players who are hyped up and initially perform well before either disappearing without trace ot going on to have an utterly mediocre career (Gauld comes to mind). I don't think that will happen to Hickey as he is clearly talented, but lack of application, bad advice and poor career choices can all negate ability. I hope he does very well and we make a lot of money from selling him but I'm not going to get carried away by any hype or list and nor should he. 

Edited by Jambos_1874

59 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Man City can roll that offer up and stick it straight up their farter.

£20 million and decent sell on clause and we might have a chat.

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

The reality check is....anything north of 3m and it’s a deal......my opinion only of course.

2 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

The reality check is....anything north of 3m and it’s a deal......my opinion only of course.

That’s sadly true. Meanwhile Sheffield United spunk £20 million on Oli Mc-******-Burnie.

You couldn’t make it up.

Not sure all this hype is coming at the best time with us trying to negotiate a contract with him.

Gives him more leverage and confidence that he can do better than us.

My personal opinion is that a move to Man City would be very risky for him.

Yes, he would have all the facilities and coaching, but he needs to play games against seasoned professionals. Would they put him out on loan somewhere? Back to us?

3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Football is supposed to be about winning trophies.

Hickey has only been in our First team since April and can't have played much more than twenty first team games yet fans are wanting to sell him already.

It's changed days indeed we used to kick up **** when our favourite players got transfered usually for sweeties.

The one thing that hasn't changed is the insulting offers.

I know players are always in the shop window but in this case it's the sweetie shop window.

Let's enjoy watching the boy for another few years yet.

1 hour ago, Tenor said:

Aaron Hickey has been included in The Guardian's Next Generation 2019 - a list of the 60 best young players in world football:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/oct/10/next-generation-2019-60-of-the-best-young-talents-in-world-football

Brilliant to see him getting so much recognition!

Guaranteed - when all those players get sold, Hickey will have been for the least amount...

39 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Agreed. 

If city are after him I think it would be worth cashing in on the hype around him very soon.  I think we’ve got a good chance of getting him back on loan if he goes to an EPL team, I thought 4-5m and if we could get a sell on fee that would be great. 

If he was English and playing for a championship/league 1 team he’d be worth about triple that :laugh:  

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Football is supposed to be about winning trophies.

Hickey has only been in our First team since April and can't have played much more than twenty first team games yet fans are wanting to sell him already.

It's changed days indeed we used to kick up **** when our favourite players got transfered usually for sweeties.

The one thing that hasn't changed is the insulting offers.

I know players are always in the shop window but in this case it's the sweetie shop window.

Let's enjoy watching the boy for another few years yet.

Yes it has changed........we no longer sell for sweeties.........no it hasn’t changed.......we are (and always will be) a selling club.

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes it has changed........we no longer sell for sweeties.........no it hasn’t changed.......we are (and always will be) a selling club.

The offers Scottish clubs receive for their top players is sweeties with the exception of the OF.

I   agree we are a selling club but after 20 games and five months wtf😕

Why are we bothering if as soon as a decent player hits the first team we

sell ?

3 hours ago, Morph said:

Agreed. 

If city are after him I think it would be worth cashing in on the hype around him very soon.  I think we’ve got a good chance of getting him back on loan if he goes to an EPL team, I thought 4-5m and if we could get a sell on fee that would be great. 

If he was English and playing for a championship/league 1 team he’d be worth about triple that :laugh:  

I'd be happy with a couple of million and big percentage sell on fee. That way Celtic get their cut from the initial sale but miss out on any future sale. No player these days stays with the one club for ever.

5 hours ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Especially when Celtic would get 600k of it.

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

How?

I didn't actually understand it myself when I read it tbh. Something to do with "letting us have him". I read it the other day i'm sure someone can clarify.

alwaysthereinspirit
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

But didnt make u21 squad

Not good enough to replace the Scottish talent already playing that position. Obviously. 😫

Oh Scotland, you really dont help yourself.....

7 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

There are plenty of examples of young players who are hyped up and initially perform well before either disappearing without trace ot going on to have an utterly mediocre career (Gauld comes to mind). I don't think that will happen to Hickey as he is clearly talented, but lack of application, bad advice and poor career choices can all negate ability. I hope he does very well and we make a lot of money from selling him but I'm not going to get carried away by any hype or list and nor should he. 

Perhaps if we sold him for what Utd got for Gauld then?

I rather suspect the hand of a certain Mr Euan Murray may be behind Hickey being on the list. Good work sir!

Edited by Jodami

Fozzyonthefence
8 hours ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

To put it into perspective, we were selling players for £1.5m to £2m as long ago as 20-30 years ago.  Transfer fees have changed massively since then but not in Scotland.

8 hours ago, iantjambo said:

£2 million and an even better sell on clause. It would pain me to see Celtic get £600k, never mind £6 million.

Really we want him to go to a mid table EPL team with a hefty sell on fee! Celtic apparently have 30% sell on to receive too! A decent 6-10m fee and IF he progresses then he does to the big boys for big money and we get our dough from the next sale! 

If we plan to sell any decent youngsters the moment they hit the first team we might as well just pack in. 

He will never in a million years get a game for city now or in the future 

Great prospect but he isn’t going to be anywhere the level of arguably playing for the best team on the planet.

He would best move to a Southampton or similar and will probably do well and may move up to a higher club. Moving to city will destroy his potential for sure but if I was him I would move rather than be coached by the clowns running our club. 

3 million or so would most definitely be accepted by hearts 

3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

To put it into perspective, we were selling players for £1.5m to £2m as long ago as 20-30 years ago.  Transfer fees have changed massively since then but not in Scotland.

Indeed Gary Naysmith went for £2m. Hopefully Hickey will do as he and Gordon did and sign a deal on understanding he can leave for decent offer

23 minutes ago, baxterd1974 said:

Because they have a 20% sell on clause as we didn't pay a development fee

Did they develop him? Only had him for a year...

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Did they develop him? Only had him for a year...

It’s Scotland. It’s Celtic. So yes they most certainly did “develop” him.

Sad thing is we obviously signed some kind of contract agreeing to this.

I think I’d rather not know what the actual development fee would have cost us.

Pennies now on the pound if we sell him for decent money.

I hate Scottish football.

1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

He will never in a million years get a game for city now or in the future 

Great prospect but he isn’t going to be anywhere the level of arguably playing for the best team on the planet.

He would best move to a Southampton or similar and will probably do well and may move up to a higher club. Moving to city will destroy his potential for sure but if I was him I would move rather than be coached by the clowns running our club. 

3 million or so would most definitely be accepted by hearts 

You would get an arguement from me, Liverpool and possibly Wolves.  Not that I would really know.  Sky NZ is so abysmal these days that I hardly ever get to see them.

Unbelievably, they even lost coverage of the rugby world cup in NZ of all places.

2 hours ago, baxterd1974 said:

Ffs

How did we let that happen? Our academy sounds great but in truth it makes us very little money in return.

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Ffs

How did we let that happen? Our academy sounds great but in truth it makes us very little money in return.

Us ?

Cry wolf to many times for me. 

Not sure what you gain from playing around on footy forums apart from pissing people off. 

Oh wait 🤣🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, baxterd1974 said:

Do we know this for a fact?

7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Ffs

Lets all gnash our teeth about it.

We got the lad for nothing and hes doing great for us. If we sell him, we'll need to pay out a bit for the punt we took.

Cardiff didnt need to put a sell on clause on Patersons contract but did. Take it we're happy about that?

I'm ceey sure we've let guys go for free but with eitger a buy back or sell on clause and I'm sure we will again.

Its the business. Win some, lose some. With Hickey, I'd say we've won one.

Sheesh

19 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Lets all gnash our teeth about it.

We got the lad for nothing and hes doing great for us. If we sell him, we'll need to pay out a bit for the punt we took.

Cardiff didnt need to put a sell on clause on Patersons contract but did. Take it we're happy about that?

I'm ceey sure we've let guys go for free but with eitger a buy back or sell on clause and I'm sure we will again.

Its the business. Win some, lose some. With Hickey, I'd say we've won one.

Sheesh

Spot on. Honestly some posters want the moon on a stick.

The same people moaning about the sell on are the very ones who would have slaughtered the club for paying a 6 figures sum for unknown youngster from Celtic.