• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Martin_T

• Maroon Sailor

To be fair to Clarke I doubt even Pep or Klopp could do anything with the current Scotland squad.  Whole spine of the team is third rate.

NaturalOrder74

I don’t think any manager could motivate the Scotland team with nothing to play for to play well against Russia away with everything to play for

NaturalOrder74

He’ll be judged on the play offs it’s up to him to find the best formula by then and that’s more than enough time for him to prepare 

Needs time.  Hasn’t had a consistent squad to choose from since he came in.  Game was a bogey after the first couple of games.

One of the biggest concerns for me is how average players like Robertson, McGregor, McGinn and Forrest look when you take them out of decent club sides.  Fraser’s the only one who looks like he can produce domestically and internationally.

58 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

To be fair to Clarke I doubt even Pep or Klopp could do anything with the current Scotland squad.  Whole spine of the team is third rate.

That defence tonight has to be one of the worst we've ever fielded.

HillmanHearts

Never got the love in.

Another one hit wonder like so many.

Better than McLeish - but that's about it.

Should never have ditched Strachan unless we had someone better.

And the two following him were nowhere near.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Don’t like his tinkering, strange selections - not playing best players in best positions.. still I’d take him for HMFC

Replace someone criticised relentlessly for doing this with someone you accept also does this??

Ok then.

Still picking guys like Mulgrew doesn’t help plus not getting the players going at all. It’s hard to see how Strachan would have done worse than the last 2 appointments. 

There’s absolutely no point in changing the manager. It doesn’t matter who it is, we’re just shit. Clarke’s got nothing to choose from in certain positions. 

That said, he needs to be brave, clear the decks and start promoting the youngsters. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

There’s absolutely no point in changing the manager. It doesn’t matter who it is, we’re just shit. Clarke’s got nothing to choose from in certain positions. 

That said, he needs to be brave, clear the decks and start promoting the youngsters. 

Watched the youngsters tonight. Nothing to get excited about there either

I'd be very happy if Walter Smith was prepared to take it on again for a couple of years if/when Clarke is out the picture.

3 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

Never got the love in.

Another one hit wonder like so many.

Better than McLeish - but that's about it.

Should never have ditched Strachan unless we had someone better.

And the two following him were nowhere near.

You never got the love in for him, despite what he achieved with a very poor Killie side 🤣😂😂🤣 he performed minor miracles there with the resources he had and had an outstanding record against the ugly sisters to boot...

But yeah ok, sure, you never got the love in!!!! 🙃

5 games. 2x Belgium, 2x Russia. We'll finish 3rd and hopefully Russia get binned for Cheating across all sports. 🤞

Edited by ri Alban

Usual JKB, never watch the game just follow the results.

All scared on here to mention "negative tactics" as well 😀😀😀😀, wonder why that is. 

I think I saw Killie play us 3 times last season and they where terrible to watch, men behind the ball and hit on the break, I'll assume that's how they play most weeks, it's certainly how they still play after watching them a week ago. 

Yet the consensus around here is we're the negative, boring side to watch. 

Yes, Steve Clarke will make a nice refreshing change 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Every time I see Mulgrews name on the teamsheet I immediately think "We'll concede in this game".

Scotland just never seem to learn.....yet another rebuilding exercise will be promised soon.....but still including these so called experienced huddies like Mulgrew and Hanley.

Confidence is low with the Scotland team Clarke needs to try and raise confidence with national team. players are more comfortable and confident with there own clubs and need to find a way to get that confidence from club to national team.

A mug taking the job. A poisoned chalice just now and for the foreseeable future. An absolute dearth of class on the playing front, and people in charge at the SFA who are only interested in maintaining the preeminence of the OldFirm and nothing else. Until there is a huge sea change at the top nothing will change and we will continue to slide. We are third rate these days and slipping.

6 minutes ago, Mid Calder Jambo said:

Scotland have never recovered from that disasterous experiment with Voigts.  Does that not have an echo closer to home. :whistling:

Vogts wasn't a disaster imo. He had to build a brand new team and still took us closer to a major finals than anyone else has since then. Yes there was some poor results along the way but what Scotland manager hasn't suffered one or two of those? Vogts was hounded out by the Scottish gutter press.

As for Clarke. I'm not going to lose my shit just yet. His record is played 5 lost 4 but those defeats were against Belgium who are the worlds top ranked team and Russia who made it to the world cup semi final. I actually think we'll win our last 3 games.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

Every time I see Mulgrews name on the teamsheet I immediately think "We'll concede in this game".

Scotland just never seem to learn.....yet another rebuilding exercise will be promised soon.....but still including these so called experienced huddies like Mulgrew and Hanley.

Sorry to break the bad news to you, but there’s nobody else better than those 2 unless you want to see Berra back in the Scotland side... you’ll not find many jambos advocating that! 

9 hours ago, Getintaethem said:

Strachan seemed to be finally getting a tune out of them.

9 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Needs time.  Hasn’t had a consistent squad to choose from since he came in.  Game was a bogey after the first couple of games.

Hmmm, you could be describing someone else here...

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

No Center halves == no chance 

That's it in a nutshell although I would add no strikers either. In the midfield and fullback positions we've actually got some decent options - but I can never remember us being so short of decent centre-backs. John Souttar has his flaws but he's considerably better than any of the central defenders who have been picked recently. When he's fit he should walk back into the side.

Edited by stirlo

6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'd be very happy if Walter Smith was prepared to take it on again for a couple of years if/when Clarke is out the picture.

You do realise he's 71 and hasn't worked since 2011?

42 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Vogts wasn't a disaster imo. He had to build a brand new team and still took us closer to a major finals than anyone else has since then. Yes there was some poor results along the way but what Scotland manager hasn't suffered one or two of those? Vogts was hounded out by the Scottish gutter press.

As for Clarke. I'm not going to lose my shit just yet. His record is played 5 lost 4 but those defeats were against Belgium who are the worlds top ranked team and Russia who made it to the world cup semi final. I actually think we'll win our last 3 games.

Correct, his downfall was having no connection to either side of the Old Firm.

2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Absolutely. His treatment from the press was shameful.

Bazzas right boot

Tbf it's Levein's fault this is happening. 

If Craig and to lesser extent Mcinnes had finished above Killie and they'd ended up 5th or 6th, Clarke wouldn't have gotten the job 

CL's fault Scotland are shite anaw. 

CL oot. 

A_A wehatethehibs
22 minutes ago, stirlo said:

That's it in a nutshell although I would add no strikers either. In the midfield and fullback positions we've actually got some decent options - but I can never remember us being so short of decent centre-backs. John Souttar has his flaws but he's considerably better than any of the central defenders who have been picked recently. When he's fit he should walk back into the side.

You can win games without top strikers if your central defence is solid. 

But without central defence you’ve got no team. 

John Souttar has a long way to go imo. Same goes for McKenna. Hopefully they both get fit and go on to have their best seasons 

Seymour M Hersh
43 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

As was Levein's, Burley and in due course Clarke. 

8 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Correct it’s not the manager it’s the players. They are simply not good enough and obviously cannot stop the basic mistakes. The last 3 games at least 6 of the goals would have been prevented if the players did the basic things like marking and winning your headers etc etc etc. 

1 minute ago, rick witter said:

Correct it’s not the manager it’s the players. They are simply not good enough and obviously cannot stop the basic mistakes. The last 3 games at least 6 of the goals would have been prevented if the players did the basic things like marking and winning your headers etc etc etc. 

And yet Hearts players have been making these basic mistakes in games...

:interehjrling:

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We have also had no tactical game plan to win football matches consistently in a poor league for 3 years. That can’t be just the players can it?????? 🤔

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, rick witter said:

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Indeed in the Witterazzi world

Hearts - Manager's fault

Scotland - Player's mistakes

When you walk into an international game with Devlin as a starting CB and Oliver Burke and Lawrence Shankland as your forward options, you're already starting with one hand tied behind your back. 

Clarke is going to need time. This team is short of confidence and quality in key areas and his teams operate a lot on shape and organisation which is more difficult to install quickly at national level because of the limited amount of time spent with the players. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

He’s starting to come across as a right thick twat. Seems clueless in terms of what he should do with these players, as hopeless as they are

Special Agent Dale Cooper

I still think he'll come good.

We could do with a half decent CB and/or striker to select though...

13 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

I still think he'll come good.

We could do with a half decent CB and/or striker to select though...

And an international manager can't sign players.

It's unfortunate McKenna and Souttar are injured because in spite of their shortcomings they are are still probably the best CB pairing we have.

Steven Caulker has thrown his hat in the ring as an option at centre back, I know he has went a bit downhill since his earlier years but apparently found some form out in Turkey and can’t see him being as easily outmuscled as Mulgrew was for the first goal last night. 

10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

This. 

12 hours ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

Is Levein the SFA Dof  as that team tonight played football his way on The Defensive 

4 midfielders tackling no one 

Aye let's turn a Steve Clarke thread into another dig at CL eh!