Apathy

Swanny17

Past the point of caring anymore, couldn’t make the game on Saturday but wasn’t even bothered about the result sadly can’t see this changing under Levein and Budge. Both sucked the life out the club especially this season

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Governor Tarkin

• innerjambo

• pettigrewsstylist

• martoon

alwaysthereinspirit
2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Feel the same mate.

Utterly depressing that we’re a football club who doesn’t care about winning anymore.

Budge saved the clubs life, she’s now sucking the life back out. Need to get rid of Levein ASAP.

I dont believe we're a club who doesnt care about winning anymore. Not winning games doesnt mean they dont care. We're very poor right now but that doesnt mean the players dont hurt.

In Whelan, Berra  and Naismith we have 3 players who've given their whole professional life to football. Levein cares. It's just not working for him. Budge cares. Crazy to think otherwise. 

We all care or we wouldn't have this thread. 

Shooter McGavin
Just now, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I dont believe we're a club who doesnt care about winning anymore. Not winning games doesnt mean they dont care. We're very poor right now but that doesnt mean the players dont hurt.

In Whelan, Berra  and Naismith we have 3 players who've given their whole professional life to football. Levein cares. It's just not working for him. Budge cares. Crazy to think otherwise. 

I get where you’re coming from but if you think we genuinely cared about winning we’d let ourselves not win a home game since March. Worst league start in 45 years and club officials still reckon they need more time, they can turn this around etc.

Lack of action to me directly translates to not caring.

57 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

If Levein really cared imo he’d do the right thing now.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Bottom line - getting beat has never mattered enough to this regime. Far too willing to say ‘ah well, that’s football.’

We act like losers tbh, which is what we are at the moment.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

If Levein really cared imo he’d do the right thing now.

Levein cares about Levein. 

You know the apathy our support is feeling can also feel like we’re being punished for some sick reason.

The attitude of Levein & Budge comes over as them saying “We’ll show you lot” & “ Who are you to be telling us 

what needs to be done”. Am I so wrong?

Maroonblood22

Absolutely spot on OP and a genuine summary of the situation. Defeats or poor runs of form would always ruin my weekends but, as has been mentioned, there was that togetherness and siege mentality between the fans and club that we always marched on to the next game. It's just pure apathy right now.

We concede a goal and absolutely nobody is surprised anymore. We lose and nobody is surprised. We have a horrendous run of form and nobody is surprised... but the hardest part is that the key figures at the club aren't doing anything to sort this. It genuinely feels like business first - football second.

I've got a young lad as well and trying to keep him interested in Hearts is a huge task right now. As others have said, when the future generations lose interest then we really do have problems!

It's not even about the results for me, the season we got relegated we still all got behind the young players and Locke.  It actually felt like a Hearts squad and management team that gave a shit, this season  feels worse than that!  We have a very expensive squad in comparison and it's a disgrace what we are now getting in return.  Also zero accountability for the way we are.

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, Noah Claypole said:

So..........

It's not a new thing then  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20191010-090337.thumb.png.914b3a0c076a145705977144b42c06c1.pngScreenshot_20191010-090328.thumb.png.513070eeb4ddcf5ec3951d84e769d8b0.pngScreenshot_20191010-090318.thumb.png.3277eafe67c4123e7eaa74ec4c8f39c5.png

We need more apathy imo.

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Bottom line - getting beat has never mattered enough to this regime. Far too willing to say ‘ah well, that’s football.’

We act like losers tbh, which is what we are at the moment.

Spot on.

I could argue this feeling has been an accumulation of the shit we've been served since Neilson shat it back when Hibs ended up going on to lift the cup. Since then, it's been one thing after the other, excuse upon excuse. You argue the little run last season was fluke all things considered in the game scheme of things now. Every player has regressed, are tackles are powderpuff and very rarely (the exception of probably Hibs this season, although they're bigger shitebags than us), we go a goal down and that's the game written off. How often do we come from behind to win a game, or attack until the death until we score a last minute winner? We rarely even have that.

Consolation, morbid as it is that either Levein turns it around or he's emptied when the FOH takeover. Unfortunately it means another ****ing long season of this. Even then, people keep talking about who they want next as manager, and aye the suggestions are usually better than now; but what's not better than what we have already? I don't just want to settle for top 4. Look at Aberdeen, even they're bored of it. If and when Levein goes, for once, in this regime, I would just like a really good ****ing football manager. It feels like eons since we've had a manager that made me feel like we can go toe to toe with anybody we play in Scotland, and considering our budget, our off the field health and structure we should absolutely be capable of getting a manager/coach capable of that.

I just want to feel things again dag nammit.

27 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

It's not even about the results for me, the season we got relegated we still all got behind the young players and Locke.  It actually felt like a Hearts squad and management team that gave a shit, this season  feels worse than that!  We have a very expensive squad in comparison and it's a disgrace what we are now getting in return.  Also zero accountability for the way we are.

And while that season was tough, the young players clearly developed and improved. Guys like Walker, King, Nicholson, Wilson, and even Brad McKay all played a huge role t he following season and had clearly improved for their experiences that season.

Now we have a squad that looks like it is going backwards, and other than Hickey, I’ve not seen  any improvement of note from anyone.

13 minutes ago, jambo-rocker said:

I could argue this feeling has been an accumulation of the shit we've been served since Neilson shat it back when Hibs ended up going on to lift the cup. Since then, it's been one thing after the other, excuse upon excuse. You argue the little run last season was fluke all things considered in the game scheme of things now. Every player has regressed, are tackles are powderpuff and very rarely (the exception of probably Hibs this season, although they're bigger shitebags than us), we go a goal down and that's the game written off. How often do we come from behind to win a game, or attack until the death until we score a last minute winner? We rarely even have that.

Consolation, morbid as it is that either Levein turns it around or he's emptied when the FOH takeover. Unfortunately it means another ****ing long season of this. Even then, people keep talking about who they want next as manager, and aye the suggestions are usually better than now; but what's not better than what we have already? I don't just want to settle for top 4. Look at Aberdeen, even they're bored of it. If and when Levein goes, for once, in this regime, I would just like a really good ****ing football manager. It feels like eons since we've had a manager that made me feel like we can go toe to toe with anybody we play in Scotland, and considering our budget, our off the field health and structure we should absolutely be capable of getting a manager/coach capable of that.

I just want to feel things again dag nammit.

You're right that, apart from a nine game league run and a couple of credible cup results, it has been relatively garbage since 2016.  Since cathro went, we have been told that it's all just around the corner.  There is nothing to show that this is suddenly going to happen.   Over three years of near mediocrity show that our coaching set up needs to completely change.  If the turnover has increased as much as has been reported then surely we can't be putting off sacking them only because of money?  If it is just down to money, why dont they do what nearly every fan wants them to do and just go and prove they love the club as much as they say they do.  This might get laughed at, but I think Gary Locke would've done better with these resources.  

24 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

And while that season was tough, the young players clearly developed and improved. Guys like Walker, King, Nicholson, Wilson, and even Brad McKay all played a huge role t he following season and had clearly improved for their experiences that season.

Now we have a squad that looks like it is going backwards, and other than Hickey, I’ve not seen  any improvement of note from anyone.

We're signing players that couldn't get in the Inverness and Dundee first teams and we wonder why we haven't improved...and paying money for them.

6 hours ago, clanmac said:

This with bells on it. Myself and my son finally threw in the towel at the end of last season after 15 years of ST,s. Having to travel from Argyll we realized we were sitting in silence on the journey back because there was so little to talk about.We thought like yourself we would pick our games but in all honesty what’s the point.I didn’t even go to my last FOH presentation which is sad.

Ive went through a lot of bad patches over the years with Hearts but I’ve never known it to be so lifeless.

Yep, I hear you. I used to go with my son and my dad. My son is now 15 and has had some great visits to Tynecastle over the years, meeting his hero, Rudi Skacel, and being absolutely on a high after some exciting games. The last time I took him I asked what he was thinking during the second half, and his answer told me everything I needed to know. He said it was boring, and it was the first time he'd ever said it.

Seen the doctor today who has suggested I watch fewer Hearts games on HeartsTV to prevent my diagnosed anxiety and depression getting any worse. Of course being a glutton for punishment I probably won't listen. 

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

You know the apathy our support is feeling can also feel like we’re being punished for some sick reason.

The attitude of Levein & Budge comes over as them saying “We’ll show you lot” & “ Who are you to be telling us 

what needs to be done”. Am I so wrong?

🙄

Enough is enough. Having given budge until yesterday to dispense with Levein I have decided to cancel my dd to FOH. As a season ticket holder I can boycott but

as she has my money she wont give a s**t. She may be a very smart business woman but she has demonstated by her refusal to sack Levein she does not have the business acumen to run a football club.  I am also disappoined by the lack of a statement regarding the current situation from FOH given the number of supporters who subscribe. Are they happy with the current state of affairs, If they are it does not bode well for the future. Once Budge and Levein(I could have accepted him returning to DOF but not now) are no longer involved at with HMFC my DDs will be reinstated and all arrears will be paid. I know from reading on this board many

people will dsiagree with my actions, but what else can we do. Having watched Hearts from the early sixties I have seen much worse teams than this, however then the club was cash strapped and could not afford half decent players, now we are financially stable with a much better class of players but an equally bad team. At least previous teams have been sent out to try and win games not to not lose.  Rant over!!

It will be interesting to see what Budge's reaction is to a big reduction in attendance. As things stand, it is in a steady decline, not from tickets sold obviously, but bums on seats. The next home game will be very telling indeed, and I would reckon that actual bums on seats from our side, could be as low as 12k.

9 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

It will be interesting to see what Budge's reaction is to a big reduction in attendance. As things stand, it is in a steady decline, not from tickets sold obviously, but bums on seats. The next home game will be very telling indeed, and I would reckon that actual bums on seats from our side, could be as low as 12k.

Given that the majority of fans have season tickets she wont give a stuff. If our support was made up of 5000 season ticket holders and 10000 walk ups

then she might take heed when the walk ups reduce to 5000

25 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Enough is enough. Having given budge until yesterday to dispense with Levein I have decided to cancel my dd to FOH. As a season ticket holder I can boycott but

as she has my money she wont give a s**t. She may be a very smart business woman but she has demonstated by her refusal to sack Levein she does not have the business acumen to run a football club.  I am also disappoined by the lack of a statement regarding the current situation from FOH given the number of supporters who subscribe. Are they happy with the current state of affairs, If they are it does not bode well for the future. Once Budge and Levein(I could have accepted him returning to DOF but not now) are no longer involved at with HMFC my DDs will be reinstated and all arrears will be paid. I know from reading on this board many

people will dsiagree with my actions, but what else can we do. Having watched Hearts from the early sixties I have seen much worse teams than this, however then the club was cash strapped and could not afford half decent players, now we are financially stable with a much better class of players but an equally bad team. At least previous teams have been sent out to try and win games not to not lose.  Rant over!!

It's your money and your prerogative, but I would point out that paying the FOH subscription is actually the quickest way of removing Ann Budge from having a controlling interest in the club.

I heard on Talk Radio someone saying that Klop has so far overseen Liverpool finish 8th,4th,4th,2nd or something like that, but the more interesting performance stat was that under Klop Liverpool have EVERY year scored more goals than the year before...

I would like an Hearts manager to be given this as his performance measure. Screw 3rd or 4th place, it just doesn't really matter and is too subjective as it is highly dependent on how other teams perform...Cups too are not really a realistic performance target as cups require luck to certain degree...

Incremental goals totals would however, get the fans interested, even if we concede more than we score at the start - it would force our managers to build attacking teams.

If they cannot give us success at least give us entertainment?

6 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

It's your money and your prerogative, but I would point out that paying the FOH subscription is actually the quickest way of removing Ann Budge from having a controlling interest in the club.

She wants to stay on after the shares are bought. If FOH guarantee she will be gone I  might reconsider. 

1 minute ago, Sherbet said:

She wants to stay on after the shares are bought. If FOH guarantee she will be gone I  might reconsider. 

Fair enough

30 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I heard on Talk Radio someone saying that Klop has so far overseen Liverpool finish 8th,4th,4th,2nd or something like that, but the more interesting performance stat was that under Klop Liverpool have EVERY year scored more goals than the year before...

I would like an Hearts manager to be given this as his performance measure. Screw 3rd or 4th place, it just doesn't really matter and is too subjective as it is highly dependent on how other teams perform...Cups too are not really a realistic performance target as cups require luck to certain degree...

Incremental goals totals would however, get the fans interested, even if we concede more than we score at the start - it would force our managers to build attacking teams.

I actually like this idea. Not sure how successful it would be in reality, but it would certainly be more entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

I actually like this idea. Not sure how successful it would be in reality, but it would certainly be more entertaining. 

Levein would be bang up for that lads. :lol:

3 hours ago, weehammy said:

Agree completely re. apathy. But like others, mine disappeared instantly when we equalised at Easter Road and followed up with  Hickey’s winner.

So apathy can be quickly dispelled when the circumstances are right.

Very true. For those few minutes I forgot all about our woes.

1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

What frustrated me about Robbie was that he looked to have a really attacking philosophy, and then shat the bed after the opening game against St Johnstone that we won 4-3 if my memory serves me. Robbie became much more cautious after that game, or he certainly appeared to. I’d have liked to see what that team could have done had we went on the attack from the first minute every week.

And another precious day in the history of Heart of Midlothian slips through our fingers. Unused and wasted. 

To think of what we could have and where we might be with our off field stability, benefactors, fantastic supporters...and where we actually are is so depressing. 

How much more time and resources are we going to fritter away pursuing the delusions and fantasies of a footballing lame duck?

The waste is borderline criminal. 

hearts attack

What gets me about Scottish football is that we are almost at the end of October and will have had just 5 league games  on our season tickets.  Okay, we have had other matches but we pay to attend these.

Ignoring the poor performance of the team, I believe that there are far too many interruptions to the season. It is no surprise that apathy has crept in. Years ago almost all matches were played on a Saturday at 3pm but nowadays you have all these gaps for internationals, winter breaks etc. Games are constantly shifted for TV and then we find games crammed together within a single week. More games are played in the evenings and it is not always easy to attend or find parking.

There needs to be a serious rethink before the game dies altogether.

20 minutes ago, martoon said:

And another precious day in the history of Heart of Midlothian slips through our fingers. Unused and wasted. 

To think of what we could have and where we might be with our off field stability, benefactors, fantastic supporters...and where we actually are is so depressing. 

How much more time and resources are we going to fritter away pursuing the delusions and fantasies of a footballing lame duck?

The waste is borderline criminal. 

Spot on

Captain Canada
5 hours ago, Maroonblood22 said:

Absolutely spot on OP and a genuine summary of the situation. Defeats or poor runs of form would always ruin my weekends but, as has been mentioned, there was that togetherness and siege mentality between the fans and club that we always marched on to the next game. It's just pure apathy right now.

We concede a goal and absolutely nobody is surprised anymore. We lose and nobody is surprised. We have a horrendous run of form and nobody is surprised... but the hardest part is that the key figures at the club aren't doing anything to sort this. It genuinely feels like business first - football second.

I've got a young lad as well and trying to keep him interested in Hearts is a huge task right now. As others have said, when the future generations lose interest then we really do have problems!

I've got two kids and it's a battle to get them interested too. There are so many things competing for attention now and going to watch us is like paying to see the same film at the cinema every week, knowing that you won't enjoy it.

If kids don't get into the habit of going, we'll suffer in terms of attendances in years to come. Where's that in the five-year plan? 

Edited by Captain Canada

Robbie Nelson shit it when we found ourselves 3-0 down to aberdeen.the season we come up and was never the same since,that for me was the defining day when the rot set in and has never been the same since.get the two of them away as soon as possible

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Before I go on im certainly not against your thoughts. Its excruciating, or has been for a couple of years now, how Hearts struggle to score goals.

A past reputation of being a top 3 side scoring decent amounts of goals is starting to get further in the distance with every passing season. Most of the time we were good for 50 plus in a league campaign. 

However, you look over older tables and the odd bottom 6 side score late 40s , sometimes over 50 goals.  The rate league winners or runners up score at can be over 70. 

I think there’s always the argument for balance and trust in performances but when you haemorrhage goals while still scoring plenty, you’d still have the same situation as now.  Hearts are just incompetent at the moment.

But certainly, if there was to be a sweeping change in attitude and criteria to lift this club, your idea would be a start!

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Before I go on im certainly not against your thoughts. Its excruciating, or has been for a couple of years now, how Hearts struggle to score goals.

A past reputation of being a top 3 side scoring decent amounts of goals is starting to get further in the distance with every passing season. Most of the time we were good for 50 plus in a league campaign. 

However, you look over older tables and the odd bottom 6 side score late 40s , sometimes over 50 goals.  The rate league winners or runners up score at can be over 70. 

I think there’s always the argument for balance and trust in performances but when you haemorrhage goals while still scoring plenty, you’d still have the same situation as now.  Hearts are just incompetent at the moment.

But certainly, if there was to be a sweeping change in attitude and criteria to lift this club, your idea would be a start!

I only meant it as a measure in order to encourage (successive) Hearts managers to adopt a consistent attacking style. Not sure we can own Total Football, so it was intended as a strategy to keep fans engaged / energised to counter the apathy mentioned in the OP...

Plus it would make football fun for the agegroups too. I hope to Hell that the agegroups are not mimicking the First Team's "style" of play...They'll all go back to Fifa on the Playstation

When you have 1.5 teams facing relegation, and 1.5 teams at the top of the league with a chance of winning the title, there isn't really that much else for all the middling clubs and their fans to get excited about...

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

I only meant it as a measure in order to encourage (successive) Hearts managers to adopt a consistent attacking style. Not sure we can own Total Football, so it was intended as a strategy to keep fans engaged / energised to counter the apathy mentioned in the OP...

Plus it would make football fun for the agegroups too. I hope to Hell that the agegroups are not mimicking the First Team's "style" of play...They'll all go back to Fifa on the Playstation

When you have 1.5 teams facing relegation, and 1.5 teams at the top of the league with a chance of winning the title, there isn't really that much else for all the middling clubs and their fans to get excited about...

True.  And you wonder why the attitude of our coaching team isn’t to push Hearts on as one of the admired attacking sides in Scottish football.  Instead, we adapt tactics to suit opposition like Hamilton, St Mirren etc..👀

Fearful football which just shows Hearts need a manager bold and brave enough to lead. To use the clubs resources to its maximum with a positive mindset rippling through the club.  

We've had those managers in the past and have proven it doesn’t take much for Hearts to get back to where it should be. Fear is holding us back. 

48 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I've got two kids and it's a battle to get them interested too. There are so many things competing for attention now and going to watch us is like paying to see the same film at the cinema every week, knowing that you won't enjoy it.

If kids don't get into the habit of going, we'll suffer in terms of attendances in years to come. Where's that in the five-year plan? 

... and knowing the ending to boot!  :muggy:

1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

What frustrated me about Robbie was that he looked to have a really attacking philosophy, and then shat the bed after the opening game against St Johnstone that we won 4-3 if my memory serves me. Robbie became much more cautious after that game, or he certainly appeared to. I’d have liked to see what that team could have done had we went on the attack from the first minute every week.

Agreed, it was attack attack attack in the Championship. Then, all of a sudden, there was this cautious approach, as if we were scared of SPL teams. 

5 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Actually hard to disagree with any of that 😏

She just doesn't seem to get the whole situation in a footballing concept. 

People will start to get more and more drastic with their actions the longer this shambles goes on. 

I think the apathy has set in as the Die Hards are getting older and are quietly letting old habits die hard . would this run and management farce have  been accepted by the fans say 20/25 years ago when the majority of the support  were from working class housing schemes 

I know life has to evolved  and football is now more a Family orientated / Middle class day out.  I found myself walking out on Saturday before I lost the plot and fell out with fellow supporters whom seem happy just to be in the ground for a day out 

Maybee my passions just get the better of me but it’s hard watching this team without being angry 😡 

2 hours ago, Kev1998 said:

Robbie Nelson shit it when we found ourselves 3-0 down to aberdeen.the season we come up and was never the same since,that for me was the defining day when the rot set in and has never been the same since.get the two of them away as soon as possible

Correct. We bought Perry Kitchen to protect the defence and never pass forward 

17 minutes ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

I think the apathy has set in as the Die Hards are getting older and are quietly letting old habits die hard . would this run and management farce have  been accepted by the fans say 20/25 years ago when the majority of the support  were from working class housing schemes 

I know life has to evolved  and football is now more a Family orientated / Middle class day out.  I found myself walking out on Saturday before I lost the plot and fell out with fellow supporters whom seem happy just to be in the ground for a day out 

Maybee my passions just get the better of me but it’s hard watching this team without being angry 😡 

It's easy to get out the habit of going to games. Much easier than the habit of attending as not going is a lot cheaper and takes a lot less effort. Especially when the weather becomes as miserable as the performances and, as you suggest, we're not as young as we once were. 

I've seen quite a few mates and family fall by the wayside over the years and, once they stopped attending, it didn't take long for it to become the norm. None have returned to being regular attendees since, with around half not going at all.

My main motivation in recent years is taking my nephew but he's fed up with it now. We're not attending the Rangers game. I doubt one missed home game will be the start of a slippery slope but I suspect others have thought that in the past. It would be so easy for us to shed support when what's being served up on match days is so abysmal, so consistently yet, so acceptable to the owner. 

Don't think I've ever been so disenchanted in my 44 years of going to Tynecastle (40 years as a die hard regular). 

2 hours ago, Kev1998 said:

Think this was the match when Levein entered the dressing room at half time.  Completely undermining Nelson.  All allegedly of course.   For me we have never looked a good attacking side since we beat Motherwell 6-0 back in January 2016.  We have been slowly declining since. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, innerjambo said:

Agreed, it was attack attack attack in the Championship. Then, all of a sudden, there was this cautious approach, as if we were scared of SPL teams. 

I think you’re forgetting the games against Hibs and Sevco that season - they certainly weren’t attack, attack!  We were ruthless against the other teams though and the performance / football we played in the 4-1 win against Falkirk (4th game I think) was the best I had seen for a long time.  

1 hour ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

Like you I'm more angry than apathetic.  Previous owners probably felt the need to be seen as in touch with the fans by sacking an unpopular manager, Ann doesn't (I can't decide whether this is brave or stupid). In the past we were probably more dependent on match day income ie walk up fans   , bad results equals lower crowds, than we are now with 13K season tickets and more corporate income.

Think it all comes down to Levein being both a board member and manager.  This crazy decision after a fiasco of a recruitment exercise when Cathro was sacked has come back to bite us big time.

53 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think you’re forgetting the games against Hibs and Sevco that season - they certainly weren’t attack, attack!  We were ruthless against the other teams though and the performance / football we played in the 4-1 win against Falkirk (4th game I think) was the best I had seen for a long time.  

I wonder why that might be?