• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Governor Tarkin

• Sherbet

• innerjambo

• pettigrewsstylist

9 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

I’m not going to start a new thread discussing our results, management team and owner etc. as these are being done to death.

What strikes me just now from my own point of view is the feeling of apathy - actually getting to the point after 30+ years that I’m not sure I even care that much anymore when we lose.  It’s just that feeling of “here we go again” rather than frustration and even anger. 

Having followed Hearts most of my life, I don’t honestly recall a time when I have felt so apathetic for going to games.  I go to all the home games, almost out of a sense of duty or perhaps habit, but I really struggle to find the appetite to go now and have genuinely never felt this close to packing it in.

Yes, we’ve had more poor seasons than I care to remember, but when the team was doing poorly when I was growing up there was a feeling of a siege mentality between the club and the fans. This simply doesn’t exist anymore and the “heart and soul” in our unique club is in danger of being lost. 

Sorry for the depressing post, I’ve had a couple of shandies, but I honestly feel that apathy is setting in and that’s one of the biggest dangers the club faces across the support.

Enjoy your evening folks. 👍

100% this. 

5 of us didn’t renew last season. Felt dreadful as the first time in over 20 years without a season ticket. Said I’d pick and choose my games and went last Saturday for the first time this season. Utter garbage. I hadn’t missed it, left at half time and went back to pub. The problem I now have is even when levein goes I’ve had the life sucked out of me watching Hearts. Others have said it. It’ll be a battle to get fans to return.

They've knocked the stuffing out of most of us,the stance being taken by AB seems to be that the business side of things is on track so she's not unduly worried!

It's brilliant that our finances are healthy but on the pitch they've been completely and utterly inept!The recruitment has been disgraceful and has cost the club a fortune,CL is out of his depth and should have walked in the summer.AB has has allowed all of this to happen and continues to sit idly and totally disregard the mass unrest amongst the majority of fans.She has destroyed the feel good factor and is in real danger of losing even more Hearts fans,season ticket sales,FoH contributions.For a "successful businesswomen"  alienating most of your customers is not what I expected!

This is exactly how I feel aswell. I've been a season ticket holder for 29 years but very nearly didn't renew my season ticket. I did end up renewing but wish I hadn't bothered. My main reason for attending games in the last year has been to catch up with friends. I've also spoken to other life long fans who feel the same. It's become a chore to watch them this season and is done more out of habit than any pleasure.

Sad times.

The Apprentice

Can relate to most of the posts on this thread. When I saw that Killie had gone 1-0 up on Saturday I wasn’t even slightly surprised. Usually I’d get the horrible butterflies seeing we’d gone behind but it’s getting to the stage now where it’s just accepted and that’s really worrying.

I see this a lot with the folk I know that go, or used to go, to games. 

I wonder if it’s especially prevelant amongst a certain age group? The 35-50ish? Just seems that way for some reason. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I see this a lot with the folk I know that go, or used to go, to games. 

I wonder if it’s especially prevelant amongst a certain age group? The 35-50ish? Just seems that way for some reason. 

Might be more common in that age group but my nephew (16) used to go with a group of young guys from Oxgangs/Longstone area. His season ticket (that I bought him) goes unused now and out of a regular 6 or 7 none of them go much now.

32 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

It's amazing how the fans who do more for their club than any other in the country are the fans who feels the least connected.  This shouldn't be the case for a  club that is months away from being fan owned.  And all because we have to accommodate Craig levein.  

Exactly this. And it would be quite a simple thing to fix as well.

10 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

I’m not going to start a new thread discussing our results, management team and owner etc. as these are being done to death.

What strikes me just now from my own point of view is the feeling of apathy - actually getting to the point after 30+ years that I’m not sure I even care that much anymore when we lose.  It’s just that feeling of “here we go again” rather than frustration and even anger. 

Having followed Hearts most of my life, I don’t honestly recall a time when I have felt so apathetic for going to games.  I go to all the home games, almost out of a sense of duty or perhaps habit, but I really struggle to find the appetite to go now and have genuinely never felt this close to packing it in.

Yes, we’ve had more poor seasons than I care to remember, but when the team was doing poorly when I was growing up there was a feeling of a siege mentality between the club and the fans. This simply doesn’t exist anymore and the “heart and soul” in our unique club is in danger of being lost. 

Sorry for the depressing post, I’ve had a couple of shandies, but I honestly feel that apathy is setting in and that’s one of the biggest dangers the club faces across the support.

To be honest I’ve been thinking of starting a thread just like this one but never got round to it.

I remember a time when a Hearts defeat ruined my weekend. Now it’s a case of “ah well...Never mind eh” and I hate feeling like that.

I've had a season ticket for 29 years, go to a lot of away games too and this past year on the park, its not been the same. I have to travel a long distance to get to games and I have a long term illness where I'm in a lot of pain and extreme fatigue, which I have had for years, so going to the games takes a lot out of me and is a big effort. But I do it, because I love the club and being at Tynecastle every second week, its a release away from the stresses of the world and for almost 30 years, its been something to look forward to, not just for the football but everything that surrounds being a fan going to support your team. But the games for almost the past year has been soul destroying, a chore and makes me think why bother, particularly when the effort of getting to a game takes so much out of me.

The fans show so much commitment, week after week (FoH contributions on top of it) but it's not shown by the important people within the club, on the park where it matters. The fans are the lifeblood and we are getting treated as second best. Every week there are experiments tactically and then we get told things from the coaches about how much players ran for example. But the stats don't measure things like heart and desire to win games, and that's part of the problem. The soul is there because of the fans, and when you see players and coaches that clearly don't have the same feeling, it has a knock on effect and makes you think if they can't be bothered, why should I, where so many of us can relate to what the OP is saying. That's why the current situation is both very sad and frustrating, it simply doesn't need to be this way.

Apathy sets in when you realise the board are ignoring the clear failings of the management and coaching staff.

We are heading for a relegation battle and aren't showing any fight that gives any optimism we could survive it.  The time has past where the management staff can show they can get us out of it and the board need to act.

As fans we have expressed our displeasure and when you see the failings continue unchecked many will walk away disillusioned.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Great thread. Unfortunately folks it's the Ann Budge Show. Where you're simply referred to as a 'pile'. Your feelings and opinions don't matter.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

My boy has stopped going to Tynecastle completely and said he won't be back until CL is gone. He now gives his money to our local junior side. He's 15 years old. 

Fair play to your son.

Good gesture.

I used to bleed after every defeat until we won the cup in 98.  Since then I get upset at defeats but quickly move on.  It's not apathy in my case.  The times I do get apathetic are when we are a team that struggle to score goals.  We had a spell like this under Czaba Lazlo where it was terrible to watch.  The same is happening now.  Draconian tactics and nothing to get the fans off their seats.  I will continue to go to Tynecastle because I enjoy the match day experience.  I am not enjoying what I see on the park.  

We_are_the_Hearts
4 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I used to bleed after every defeat until we won the cup in 98.  Since then I get upset at defeats but quickly move on.  It's not apathy in my case.  The times I do get apathetic are when we are a team that struggle to score goals.  We had a spell like this under Czaba Lazlo where it was terrible to watch.  The same is happening now.  Draconian tactics and nothing to get the fans off their seats.  I will continue to go to Tynecastle because I enjoy the match day experience.  I am not enjoying what I see on the park.  

Just curious but what is it you enjoy? Just having something to do? The bacon rolls before you set off? The pub before? The pint and Fish supper after? As I said just curious...............cheers

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Apathy sets in when you realise the board are ignoring the clear failings of the management and coaching staff.

We are heading for a relegation battle and aren't showing any fight that gives any optimism we could survive it.  The time has past where the management staff can show they can get us out of it and the board need to act.

As fans we have expressed our displeasure and when you see the failings continue unchecked many will walk away disillusioned.

Good post.

3 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Just curious but what is it you enjoy? Just having something to do? The bacon rolls before you set off? The pub before? The pint and Fish supper after? As I said just curious...............cheers

I meet up with family\friends for a pre match pint or two.  I enjoy  the chat with the people I sit with.  I view each game as a fresh start.  It's where I want to be on a Saturday.  

On Saturday I got the bus to Diggers, had a couple of pints as normal before the game . I walked down to Tynecastle then a bus came which I got on and went home instead of going to the game. 

The apathy comes from expectations and results. When we expect to win and get beaten you get angry as haven’t done as well as you expected.

However, one you start to get beaten on a regular basis your level of expectation drops off - you expect to get beaten and so when it happens there is no longer anything to get angry about. Which is when apathy sets in...

We_are_the_Hearts
6 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I meet up with family\friends for a pre match pint or two.  I enjoy  the chat with the people I sit with.  I view each game as a fresh start.  It's where I want to be on a Saturday.  

Cool mate. Hopefully the atmosphere and product on the park improve in the near future.

As others have said if we got beat then weekend was ruined, wouldn’t buy papers to read about it, didn’t read online about it, didn’t watch tv highlights ect 

I wasn’t at the game on sat but when I seen we had went 1-0 down on sat I just shook my head and said to the guy at work that’s us getting beat again. Got on with my work as normal but in the past I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on anything other than how the game was going 

4 hours ago, innerjambo said:

I've gradually lost interest over the last 2 seasons, and now I've stopped going altogether. I did intend to pick and choose my games but the whole thing is so depressing I can't be bothered. 

This with bells on it. Myself and my son finally threw in the towel at the end of last season after 15 years of ST,s. Having to travel from Argyll we realized we were sitting in silence on the journey back because there was so little to talk about.We thought like yourself we would pick our games but in all honesty what’s the point.I didn’t even go to my last FOH presentation which is sad.

Ive went through a lot of bad patches over the years with Hearts but I’ve never known it to be so lifeless.

Tennant's  6's

Great post.

Change is so desperately needed, but isn't forthcoming. 

Got to hope that things will turn at some point, but that seems a bit forlorn just now. .

12 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

On Saturday I got the bus to Diggers, had a couple of pints as normal before the game . I walked down to Tynecastle then a bus came which I got on and went home instead of going to the game. 

This reminds me of the wee clip of Grandpa Simpson walking into the brothel and turning straight back around and walking out.

Leveins Battalion

Apathy comes from having no decent goalkeeper,having no exciting wingers,having no hero striker.Apathy comes from signing Craig Wighton,Bozanic,Garrucio,Doyle,Zlamal etc etc etc.Apathy comes from watching young Henderson thrown into the 1st team at left midfield.

Apathy comes from watching the same shite for years on end with the same outcome.

Apathy comes from the club not giving a shit about the fans that worked so hard to save them,we bought shares that were worthless,attended Do’s in the Gorgie Suite just to have enough cash to last another week.

Folk can go on about Ann saving us but it’s all relative,why is she worth more to Hearts than the poor guy who puts his last pound to the club?

Ann and Craig are behaving like complete idiots here,it’s their ball and they do what they want with it.

Meanwhile 99.9% of ‘Genuine’ Hearts supporters are looking at ways to move this club forward.

Very much Apathy at our Hierarchy,not Heart of Midlothian Football Club,she is as beautiful as ever.

5 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Apathy comes from having no decent goalkeeper,having no exciting wingers,having no hero striker.Apathy comes from signing Craig Wighton,Bozanic,Garrucio,Doyle,Zlamal etc etc etc.Apathy comes from watching young Henderson thrown into the 1st team at left midfield.

Apathy comes from watching the same shite for years on end with the same outcome.

Apathy comes from the club not giving a shit about the fans that worked so hard to save them,we bought shares that were worthless,attended Do’s in the Gorgie Suite just to have enough cash to last another week.

Folk can go on about Ann saving us but it’s all relative,why is she worth more to Hearts than the poor guy who puts his last pound to the club?

Ann and Craig are behaving like complete idiots here,it’s their ball and they do what they want with it.

Meanwhile 99.9% of ‘Genuine’ Hearts supporters are looking at ways to move this club forward.

Very much Apathy at our Hierarchy,not Heart of Midlothian Football Club,she is as beautiful as ever.

Whoa there cowboy, did you just assume our clubs gender?

It's 2019 FFS not 2018.

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Great OP, sums up my feelings exactly. Surprised just how apathetic I’ve become, and it’s a worry. Never thought I could be so disinterested. 

Theres about 20 odd of us on a WhatsApp chat and we all yap away about our plans for upcoming games, where we are meeting/travel plans/where to get a few pints etc. There’s not been a single entry on that chat re the semi final. That’s unheard of tbh. And the one or two lads I’ve spoken to face to face from that chat have said they’re not going. Neither am I. The disinterest is staggering, and I’m talking about boys that are hardcore Hearts. If Ann Budge knew these guys as I do, she’d be worried. Because I am. 

If only Anne Budge could read this thread? 

Similar to your story my mate lived Hearts and we went home and away. He chucked it last season and in spain for time being and last conversation we had Hearts weren't even mentioned whereas previously was all we talked about.  I have chucked away games and prob wont go to semi.

Without re debating the rights and wrongs of the CL situation and AB  reaction or non reaction. From a purely business point of view it's a shocker. She had the fans on side and feel good factor in abundance plus over 8000 donating money each month. She failed to realise the thinking mind of almost every fan and that's to be entertained and hopefully win. Win yes but most can still appreciate a team trying to play football and with a bit of guts. she hasn't got that and is failing us - indeed both are and that's created the apathy.

She has done some great things but this situation is tarnishing everything.

At the game on Saturday, there was a palpable air of tension coming from the stands.  There was no atmosphere that could have been considered as supportive of Levein or the team.  That is completely understandable to be honest but if I could sense it in the stands you can sure as hell bet the players felt it on the pitch.  Tynecastle is not known for being forgiving to players, either our own or the opposition.

As for the OP, I'm in the same boat.  I'm not going to the semi final and my kids are pretty upset about it but why would I waste somewhere north of £200 to follow a team to Hampden that will, in most likelihood, not turn up and get totally humiliated by a team that I truly despise.  Going to Tynecastle feels like a chore just now rather than a pleasure.

Edited by Heartsofgold

The Old Tolbooth
11 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Absolutely nailed it mate, cracking post! 

When you consider what the fans went through to save the club, how much we cried, how much we blood we sweat, how much we financially put into the club (and still are to an extent), the sheer feelings of despair one minute thinking that St Mirren at home was our last ever game, to the sheer elation the next minute knowing our club was actually saved, and now I actually feel cheated, I stopped going after the Motherwell game and won't be back until he's away, I just don't have the stomach for it anymore, and I've been going since 1984 and seen some utter dross in that time, but never once felt like this, and as you say, we've lost our heart and soul. 

2 hours ago, Currahee! said:

The club is now a mirror image of Mrs Budge. 

Smart, understated and successful?

Nah find that hard to agree with

What I agree with is that the apathy has seen almost an acceptance of poor results,its been so long since we had a win at home,even longer since a commanding home performance that when teams score against us it's not unexpected. When we struggle to open teams up we seem resigned to the fact it's another one of "those days". Worst of all there is next to no connection to the players on the park,say what you want about the so called faceless cast of thousands the  likes of Zaliukas and Miko really seemed to try,really seemed to care, Clare,Mulraney,Bobby,etc seem to be coasting along with no care for the support

peebles jambo

Stopped going after the Ross County game ,Honestly I don't miss it, Still feel like s**t after yet another defeat, the win over Hubs and the sheep just papered over the cracks, going to be a long hard season

Really good op, I think most of the people who go to watch us are feeling like that right now. There is such an inevitability about the outcome of what we are watching that it is difficult to get really angry and sustain that anger during the game. In fact if you did it would be downright dangerous! You end up shaking your head and laughing at the same plot unfolding. 

I go to the games with my son and I am lucky enough to sit beside another poster here who is a brilliant guy. Even when it's as shit as it is just now the chat is great and hope remains that change is around the corner. I've been watching the team now for over 40 years and have seen some terrible Hearts teams but the frustration right now is so many good things are in place and it is so blatantly obvious that the football side is failing beyond the point of redemption by the current incumbents. 

I hope we don't lose fans in this period but there is a chance we will and its hard to get people to go back after giving up their season tickets and doing something else. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I meet a lot of fans who were regulars in the past who now say they don't go to games as it is so boring to watch. These were people who rallied round when we nearly went to the wall but feel very let down by the reliance on a manager who is quite obviously failing badly to manage effectively. 

Most would gladly return if we played with belief and energy under a better coaching team which doesn't include Craig Levein in any capacity.

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Best post I've read on here in years .👍👍

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, martoon said:

It was worth praise twice GT. 

I didn't mean to post it twice, martoon, but I'll take it as a sign that the gods of the internet agree with me. 👍

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Whoa there cowboy, did you just assume our clubs gender?

It's 2019 FFS not 2018.

Ann would have him/She Hxm,Thxm, they on the naughty step for such a post. Clearly in the Bensons/Robbos brigade. We do not need their sort. Not genuine fans imo.

Edited by i8hibsh

Totally agree. I think for me a lot of it comes from the fact that we could be doing so much more.

Things are in a great place off the park but it reminds me a little of what is going on at Man United, where the focus has been on us as a business instead of us as a football club.

Allowayjambo1874

The statement last month killed it for most fans, it essentially said no matter what happens this regime continues. The apathy in fans after this is totally predictable. 

Although none of my mates have fully stopped going every week 2-3 have got stuff to do and whereas before these things would’ve been rescheduled now the match is seen as secondary. Proper hardcore fans just slowly drifting away. 

12 hours ago, NRJ1966 said:

My son and I go, it's his first season ticket year and I asked him Saturday evening when we got home if he'd had a good day. His answer "Yes, Dad, but the worst part of the day was the game" 

Like us all he enjoyed his lunch, the catching up with pals and having a laugh in the pub but the football is so bad he can't even be excited by it.

He's been to 10 games at Tynecastle now and seen Hearts win once...at Hampden!! Apathy is going to find us thinking about something else to do it the club aren't careful. Not where I want to be.

Wee laddies don't care about shape or formation or injuries, or statistics about player mileage they just want to see the odd win and see Tynecastle rocking to the rooftops...he's still waiting; hope it changes soon!

Great post 👍

If the kids are showing that apathy as well it is a big problem. 

They are the future and if they are saying at that age the game is the worst part of the day then that is really worrying. 

Obviously it is a lot more than your lad is feeling the same way as at games you can hear kids asking to leave early or spend the whole time on their phones because they are bored rigid. 

I have got a mate with a boy of 7 who has a season ticket and he used love going and look forward to it all week, bit like I did when I was his age. 

He has not been to the last 3 home games even though his dad has. 

This is the type of stories that Mrs Budge should be hearing about as well. 

They are turning their backs on the club at that young age. 

If that doesn't worry her **** knows what will. 😏

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

I have got a mate with a boy of 7 who has a season ticket and he used love going and look forward to it all week, bit like I did when I was his age. 

He has not been to the last 3 home games even though his dad has. 

This is the type of stories that Mrs Budge should be hearing about as well. 

They are turning their backs on the club at that young age. 

If that doesn't worry her **** knows what will. 😏

Mrs Budge knows exactly what's going on but she's backed herself into a corner.

Forever Hearts

We done well for a few years there keeping most of the Edinburgh area kids away from supporting the Old Firm. But if this crap continues we'll start to lose them again and Celtic and Rangers tops will be a common sight in Edinburgh again. 

alwaysthereinspirit

The day a Hearts loss doesnt bother me will be the day I'm done. We're not very good right now. But it's different to other times we've been poor.

In the past when this poor we've had less talented players and just weren't good enough to compete consistently. This time around we're talented but for what ever reason cant gell as a team.

Dont know the answer but how many full, ex or younger age group internationals do we have in the squad? More than we've had in the past I'd imagine. Its been frustrating to watch them struggle pretty much week in and out.

2 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

The day a Hearts loss doesnt bother me will be the day I'm done. We're not very good right now. But it's different to other times we've been poor.

In the past when this poor we've had less talented players and just weren't good enough to compete consistently. This time around we're talented but for what ever reason cant gell as a team.

Dont know the answer but how many full, ex or younger age group internationals do we have in the squad? More than we've had in the past I'd imagine. Its been frustrating to watch them struggle pretty much week in and out.

“For whatever reason we can’t gel as a team”...the reason is sitting in the dugout mate 👍🏼

And watch yersel, a couple of year ago I would’ve said exactly the same thing as you re being done if you didn’t care about results. But look at me. Apathy has spread in before I even knew it. It’s weird...but don’t ever assume it can’t hit you, because it can 😳

19 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Nail on the head. 

We have been crap many times before but we have always put100 per cent in with poorer players. That is why the fans stayed behind the team. 

Look at our squad now, if everybody was fit ( big ask I know), we would have one of our best squads of individuals but what forever reason we can't seem to gel. 

The players walk about if they had just met each other the morning of the match. 😒

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

Shooter McGavin

Feel the same mate.

Utterly depressing that we’re a football club who doesn’t care about winning anymore.

Budge saved the clubs life, she’s now sucking the life back out. Need to get rid of Levein ASAP.

2 hours ago, Bozi said:

Smart, understated and successful?

Nah find that hard to agree with

What I agree with is that the apathy has seen almost an acceptance of poor results,its been so long since we had a win at home,even longer since a commanding home performance that when teams score against us it's not unexpected. When we struggle to open teams up we seem resigned to the fact it's another one of "those days". Worst of all there is next to no connection to the players on the park,say what you want about the so called faceless cast of thousands the  likes of Zaliukas and Miko really seemed to try,really seemed to care, Clare,Mulraney,Bobby,etc seem to be coasting along with no care for the support

Na. An old woman. 

Can I ask where is she successful in regard to Hearts? A main stand millions over budget isn't successful. Forgetting to order seats isn't successful. We could go on but I'm full of apathy.