Apathy

Swanny17

I’m not going to start a new thread discussing our results, management team and owner etc. as these are being done to death.

What strikes me just now from my own point of view is the feeling of apathy - actually getting to the point after 30+ years that I’m not sure I even care that much anymore when we lose.  It’s just that feeling of “here we go again” rather than frustration and even anger. 

Having followed Hearts most of my life, I don’t honestly recall a time when I have felt so apathetic for going to games.  I go to all the home games, almost out of a sense of duty or perhaps habit, but I really struggle to find the appetite to go now and have genuinely never felt this close to packing it in.

Yes, we’ve had more poor seasons than I care to remember, but when the team was doing poorly when I was growing up there was a feeling of a siege mentality between the club and the fans. This simply doesn’t exist anymore and the “heart and soul” in our unique club is in danger of being lost. 

Sorry for the depressing post, I’ve had a couple of shandies, but I honestly feel that apathy is setting in and that’s one of the biggest dangers the club faces across the support.

Enjoy your evening folks. 👍

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Governor Tarkin

• innerjambo

• pettigrewsstylist

• martoon

In the same boat. Dont care, not interested 95% of the time. All a bit of a waste of time until something changes.

* I reserve the right to go bananas when Hickey scores a last min screamer v the scum.

15 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

I’m not going to start a new thread discussing our results, management team and owner etc. as these are being done to death.

What strikes me just now from my own point of view is the feeling of apathy - actually getting to the point after 30+ years that I’m not sure I even care that much anymore when we lose.  It’s just that feeling of “here we go again” rather than frustration and even anger. 

Having followed Hearts most of my life, I don’t honestly recall a time when I have felt so apathetic for going to games.  I go to all the home games, almost out of a sense of duty or perhaps habit, but I really struggle to find the appetite to go now and have genuinely never felt this close to packing it in.

Yes, we’ve had more poor seasons than I care to remember, but when the team was doing poorly when I was growing up there was a feeling of a siege mentality between the club and the fans. This simply doesn’t exist anymore and the “heart and soul” in our unique club is in danger of being lost. 

Sorry for the depressing post, I’ve had a couple of shandies, but I honestly feel that apathy is setting in and that’s one of the biggest dangers the club faces across the support.

Well said. You are spot on you go to the games and sit there thinking is this what we have become ? No atmosphere, nothing but apathy around the stadium. The anger has gone and all I'm enjoying is the meeting up with mates before and after the game for a few pints.

Yes it's very sad what has happened to our loyal support.

The problem is it isn’t easy getting fans back on board. People start doing other things at the weekend and the ones that plan to go end up staying in the pub 

Absolutely fair OP. I feel similar, haven't looked forward to games for a long time, quite glad I'm away for the Rangers one.

The atmosphere against Killie was so flat, it's not even anger any more, just depressed. It's so sad, we had every chance of doing something special. There is very little feeling left (for me) about the team now: just wasted potential and systemic failure from the club.

4 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

The problem is it isn’t easy getting fans back on board. People start doing other things at the weekend and the ones that plan to go end up staying in the pub 

Once you give up a season ticket, it would be difficult for a lot of people to take one again

Excellent OP

When we were in administration, we had that siege mentality. 
Then in the championship we rode on the crest of a wave which followed into the next season where we finished third.

From there I thought we’d kick on, but we then went backwards.  whilst things off the park were going great, on the park it’s declined season on season until we’ve reached the stage where people don’t care.

Personally, i didn’t renew my season ticket and got a golf membership Instead and now just pick and choose the games I go too.  

Once fans get out of the habit of going regularly it’s going to be hard to get them back.

pettigrewsstylist
46 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

Our standard has been "dumbed down" to quite an appalling standard of beige. Some people honestly seem to think a single 10 yd run and a nice turn on edge of box in 90 min appearance constitutes a reasonable performance.

Surrounding yourself with such yes men is rarely a formula for success in anything competitive.

I think the apathy has set in because so many fans feel powerless to do anything about it. Which given FoH are on the verge of owning the place is weird. 

No one believes AB will sack him so we’re stuck in limbo. Really though if those wanting change got up and made plenty noise about it, I think she’d act, the more apathy the more it suits the board to sit on their hands.

My son and I go, it's his first season ticket year and I asked him Saturday evening when we got home if he'd had a good day. His answer "Yes, Dad, but the worst part of the day was the game" 

Like us all he enjoyed his lunch, the catching up with pals and having a laugh in the pub but the football is so bad he can't even be excited by it.

He's been to 10 games at Tynecastle now and seen Hearts win once...at Hampden!! Apathy is going to find us thinking about something else to do it the club aren't careful. Not where I want to be.

Wee laddies don't care about shape or formation or injuries, or statistics about player mileage they just want to see the odd win and see Tynecastle rocking to the rooftops...he's still waiting; hope it changes soon!

Getintaethem

Started last season for me as we struggled towards the winter break, and didn't get any better after January, dull game after dull game sapping any enthusiasm.  I remember watching one game when we were actually winning by a goal with ten minutes left, we got a free kick about 35 yards out and only put 2 men in the box, with most of our team around the halfway line.  I remember thinking "is this what we have become.".  

Wasn't at the Motherwell or Kilmarnock games, just feel the way we play is so negative it takes away the enjoyment.  It's like we're trying not to lose more than trying to win.

There's been many ups and downs over the decades, and I've no doubt good times will come again, but I struggle to remember such a sustained period of not enjoying matches.

It is all very sad that most of us are feeling like shit about the way things are.

However this is not a new phenomenon, if you want apathy then Hearts fans have been right up there for a long time.

pettigrewsstylist

I suspect for some its the absence of any real hope. We always had our bridesmaid tag but maybe, just maybe, on the day. 

Perhaps when we get into relegation battle proper the fever will return to the old gal that is tynie.

Rocky jamboa

Yip. Think the majority feel the same. There's a losing mentality running through the club. We're so used to abject performances and results that we're used to it now. 4 seasons of shit.

Although the OP says he doesn't want to discuss results, management and owner, it's because of those 3 things that we feel this way. 

SpruceBringsteen

Good OP. I thought I'd miss it when I moved across here. Miss my mates. Miss the pub. Miss absolutely **** all about the football.

I feel the same.  35 years a season ticket holder and don't think I have ever felt as  disengaged from the club as I do now.  Performances have been awful and the whole match day  experience is depressing.  Hoping for a management change but  doubt it. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Will always care about the result ! Was supposed to have night out on saturday but was so fed up after game when got home a didn't even go out 

3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Maybe an email to warn that you're considering not renewing next season might snap her in to doing something now.

:lol:

5 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

😭😢😦🙁😟

I could have written that post too 😔

The OP and I must be similar ages, and this captures how I feel and have done for a long time. Im glad I am a FoH supporter and have been since day dot, if it wasnt for that and the thought of kicking on post Levein era, I may have lost all appetite for the Hearts due to the sheer lack of desire, passion and intent shown by staff representing us for quite sometime now ☹

Levein is like a different person to the one I watched growing up and his 1st spell in charge of us and that reflects his staff and players unfortunately too...

I've gradually lost interest over the last 2 seasons, and now I've stopped going altogether. I did intend to pick and choose my games but the whole thing is so depressing I can't be bothered. 

If you ignore most of social media and don't take this place very seriously then its a lot easier to remain positive. 

It's also worthy of note that the Scottish game and format is absolute dross and it's safe to say we've all be apathetic regards that for years. It's shouldn't come as a surprise that playing the same 11 teams give or take, every single season has become slightly stale. Think about that, 11 teams over a 10 month period. Jesus........must stay positive, must stay positive, must stay......etc etc etc 

It should have been ten
17 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

If you ignore most of social media and don't take this place very seriously then its a lot easier to remain positive. 

It's also worthy of note that the Scottish game and format is absolute dross and it's safe to say we've all be apathetic regards that for years. It's shouldn't come as a surprise that playing the same 11 teams give or take, every single season has become slightly stale. Think about that, 11 teams over a 10 month period. Jesus........must stay positive, must stay positive, must stay......etc etc etc 

This 

One thing is for sure.  If this regime gets us relegated, history will not be as kind as it was in 2013/2014.  Don’t expect a siege mentality, it won’t happen.  

6 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Sure he is just having a laugh at the apathy thread title mate :)

Yes, read the OP and agree with every word, sums things up for me too. Probably should have added a 😂 yo my original post but I couldn't be bothered 😂

Great post and spot on 

The only reason a lot of  people still go is beacuse its a day to enjoy yourself with your mates and kids 

But the games aren't enjoyable at all and haven't been for a long time 

I haven't been to tynecastle yet this season but last year there were a number of times we thought, lets stay in the pub so we don't ruin the rest of the day by watching us play. 

Forever Hearts

My boy has stopped going to Tynecastle completely and said he won't be back until CL is gone. He now gives his money to our local junior side. He's 15 years old. 

Great post and spot on

The only reason i go to the games is payed for the season ticket so using it.

If there are no changes to this regime toward end of season even if stay up don't see me renewing season ticket.

Not paying to watch this crap next season.

Great op and thread. Over 50 years of watching this magnificent club and experienced the ups and downs, however, have never been so disillusioned by the football side of the club and after all, that is what I pay to see a winning, fighting team on the park. Sadly, if things don't change very soon, we face losing the heart and soul of the club

Broxburn Jambo

I am sure fans of my age will agree that it is a very 70s feeling, quiet crowds, small young team that gets on everyone's t*ts( I was one),I remember we used to cheer of the old stand started singing.

It's amazing how the fans who do more for their club than any other in the country are the fans who feels the least connected.  This shouldn't be the case for a  club that is months away from being fan owned.  And all because we have to accommodate Craig levein.  

Great OP, sums up my feelings exactly. Surprised just how apathetic I’ve become, and it’s a worry. Never thought I could be so disinterested. 

Theres about 20 odd of us on a WhatsApp chat and we all yap away about our plans for upcoming games, where we are meeting/travel plans/where to get a few pints etc. There’s not been a single entry on that chat re the semi final. That’s unheard of tbh. And the one or two lads I’ve spoken to face to face from that chat have said they’re not going. Neither am I. The disinterest is staggering, and I’m talking about boys that are hardcore Hearts. If Ann Budge knew these guys as I do, she’d be worried. Because I am.