Refs who enforce the rules

Saint Jambo

As a wee break from all the manager chat, thought this video was great of a ref giving a player a second booking for ignoring his instruction to leave the field at the nearest point when subbed. Score at the time was 0-0 and the other team went on to win the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49960000

I wish wee had refs in Scotland with the guts to actually enforce the rules. Exactly the same thing happened in our home game against Motherwell, but worse, and the ref totally bottled it. Seedorf subbed off after 65 minutes was stood near the Wheatfield. The ref stopped him and clearly instructed him to leave the pitch on that side. Seedorf just ignored him and slowly, slowly walked over to the mainstand side, totally taking the piss out of the ref. I was going nuts in the stand as a really blatant yellow card and he'd already been booked, so should have been sent off.  To add salt in the wound Hylton came on and scored the crucial goal a minute later.

I find it really irritating that FIFA have introduced a new rule that will improve the game for spectators, but Scottish refs are to pathetic to enforce it.

16 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

As a wee break from all the manager chat, thought this video was great of a ref giving a player a second booking for ignoring his instruction to leave the field at the nearest point when subbed. Score at the time was 0-0 and the other team went on to win the game.

I wish wee had refs in Scotland with the guts to actually enforce the rules. Exactly the same thing happened in our home game against Motherwell, but worse, and the ref totally bottled it. Seedorf subbed off after 65 minutes was stood near the Wheatfield. The ref stopped him and clearly instructed him to leave the pitch on that side. Seedorf just ignored him and slowly, slowly walked over to the mainstand side, totally taking the piss out of the ref. I was going nuts in the stand as a really blatant yellow card and he'd already been booked, so should have been sent off.  To add salt in the wound Hylton came on and scored the crucial goal a minute later.

I find it really irritating that FIFA have introduced a new rule that will improve the game for spectators, but Scottish refs are to pathetic to enforce it.

Aberdeen game was the same and Hibs if i recall correctly. The Aberdeen game they were clearly telling players to go down and get treatment before they were substituted to waste more time aswell. Another thing that needs nipped in the bud. 

2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

While I agree with you in principle (and based on what we know about Scottish referees generally), it may simply be that the referees here are following the national association's instructions not to harshly enforce this, whereas Northern Irish referees may have been given a very strict directive. I am just speculating though.

Still, referees ultimately do what they're told by their association. Not that in a vacuum Seedorf shouldn't have seen the showers in minute 65, but if the SFA have specifically instructed referees not to issue a second caution for this, what can they do?

You may be right though and whoever was officiating that day (can't remember) may just be a complete wimp.

Fort Vallance

Unfortunately certain referees will only enforce the rules in certain situations. And a couple of clubs in particular will still get to do as they like.

I mentioned this on Twitter recently, think it was after the Dons game. There was an instance where one of their players got subbed off in the Wheatfield half of the pitch, and walked all the way to the dugout. 

Haven't seen this rule enforced at a Hearts game yet.

2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

It's very annoying but what it means to me is that time-keeping needs to be taken out of the referee's hands. A substitution can take up to a minute and is never reflected in added time.

41 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It's very annoying but what it means to me is that time-keeping needs to be taken out of the referee's hands. A substitution can take up to a minute and is never reflected in added time.

Been saying that for years, Nookie. It is the best thing we could take from rugby (and other sports). Instead, they’ve tried things like 10 yards for dissent and maybe some other innovations but not the right ones!

Bring in sin bins as well. 15 minutes for a cynical foul stopping a breakaway etc. might improve the flow of a game. 

For the record I think substitutions should remain as is. Far safer if say Scott Brown or Morelos goes off at the dugouts/tunnel area than having to walk round that track in front of the Wheatfield. It’d be us that got in trouble if a fan had a go.

Edited by Shaggy2

Seymour M Hersh
47 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Unfortunately certain referees will only enforce the rules in certain situations. And a couple of clubs in particular will still get to do as they like.

I think they are being given some wiggle room in this rule (at least down south). At the weekend Bamford of Leeds went of at Milwall and had to walk round the ground to get to the dug out. He was spat on several times by Milwall fans and came close to reacting at least once. 

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I think they are being given some wiggle room in this rule (at least down south). At the weekend Bamford of Leeds went of at Milwall and had to walk round the ground to get to the dug out. He was spat on several times by Milwall fans and came close to reacting at least once. 

There you go, it’s a batshit mental idea!

I like the thought behind the rule, but don't think it works.  Imagine in a heated Hibs or Celtic game at Tynie and one of their players has to walk round 2 stands within touching distance of our fans.  It's asking for trouble.  Player safety is the priority and given what we've seen in the last year around lots of grounds, including Tynecastle, can that be guaranteed?

That said, something does need done about timewasting.  As someone mentioned, Aberdeen players were going down "injured" before coming off.  The sub was already stripped before the player was going down.  It was so blatant - the 4th official must have already been notified of the change before the player goes down too.  What can be done about that though.  The ref simply doesn't have the authority to tell a player to get up - what if on one rare occasion the player is forced to get up and aggravates a real injury?  Tough one to enforce.

One idea I have is no subs allowed aften 85 mins in a game.  Even if a player is injured, tough.  Obviously means teams can work the clock with subs up until then, but it'd be something.

The kicking the ball away rule is another one.  It's so sporadically upheld that it's a joke of a rule.  It's a rule that should exist, but the refs seem to pick and choose when to.  We went through a spell under Romanov when we were getting players booked for this all the time - literally for rolling the ball 5 yards sometimes.  While the opposition would never be picked up on it.

27 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I like the thought behind the rule, but don't think it works.  Imagine in a heated Hibs or Celtic game at Tynie and one of their players has to walk round 2 stands within touching distance of our fans.  It's asking for trouble.  Player safety is the priority and given what we've seen in the last year around lots of grounds, including Tynecastle, can that be guaranteed?

That said, something does need done about timewasting.  As someone mentioned, Aberdeen players were going down "injured" before coming off.  The sub was already stripped before the player was going down.  It was so blatant - the 4th official must have already been notified of the change before the player goes down too.  What can be done about that though.  The ref simply doesn't have the authority to tell a player to get up - what if on one rare occasion the player is forced to get up and aggravates a real injury?  Tough one to enforce.

One idea I have is no subs allowed aften 85 mins in a game.  Even if a player is injured, tough.  Obviously means teams can work the clock with subs up until then, but it'd be something.

The kicking the ball away rule is another one.  It's so sporadically upheld that it's a joke of a rule.  It's a rule that should exist, but the refs seem to pick and choose when to.  We went through a spell under Romanov when we were getting players booked for this all the time - literally for rolling the ball 5 yards sometimes.  While the opposition would never be picked up on it.

You do know the rules already allow for walking off taking into account player safety...no ref would want a player to walk in front of 'baying' fans so he would allow them to cross the pitch..it's only if there is no safety issue would the player be disciplined

6 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

You do know the rules already allow for walking off taking into account player safety...no ref would want a player to walk in front of 'baying' fans so he would allow them to cross the pitch..it's only if there is no safety issue would the player be disciplined

Yes, but who is to say when that is applied is the point?  And frankly there can't be a rule which is applied at a Killie St Mirren game but not at a Hearts Hibs one.  Then it's not a rule.

Just now, TheBigO said:

Yes, but who is to say when that is applied is the point?  And frankly there can't be a rule which is applied at a Killie St Mirren game but not at a Hearts Hibs one.  Then it's not a rule.

The ref says ..that's the rule..opinion

Like most football decisions by officials it is an opinion

As CJGJ says, the ref can use judgement as to whether it is safe for a player to walk around the pitch. That means that for many games at Tynecastle, the ref will choose not to instruct players to leave the field at the nearest point. Opposition players manage to take throw ins, retrieve the ball and warm up as subs at 99% of our games without an issue, I do still think it would be sensible to always instruct players at Tynecastle in Rangers, Celtic and Hibs games to leave at the tunnel. This can be communicated to players before the game. In other games, if the crowd are riled up the ref can take the decision in game to instruct them to leave at the tunnel.

The issue with the Motherwell game was the ref clearly and indicated that the player should leave the pitch at the wheatfield side and the player ignored him. I spoke to a ref I know who refs in the Scottish league (but not SPFL) and he said there hasn't been any instruction to go easy on this rule. There hasn't been an instruction to clamp down on it either. He was surprised that if the ref had clearly indicated, that he didn't book the player when ignored.