Geeky question re WIFI

Mr Sifter

Hoping someone can help here...

Bit of a long story, but I’ve had a massive leak in my house that has seen us have to move out for the next 3 to 6 months. Ive managed to secure a short term let on a house directly across the toad from me (probably no more than 15 metres away from my Sky broadband hub). Now, should I go to the trouble of having my Sky switched off at home, and set up a new WiFi in this short term let, or will I till be able to pick up my broadband from across the road? The WiFi router will be placed on the living room windowsill, directly across the road from the new house. 

Im no very tech savvy, although I understand you can get WiFi boosters and stuff like that. 

Any help is appreciated cheers 👍🏼

Hugh Phamism

You might be OK, but probably at a reduced signal strength.

I have BT internet and a mesh system set up at home. I work from a Garden Office, which is around 10m from my nearest hub on the kitchen windowsill. A speedtest shows I'm getting a 20Mbps download, which is the same as I get indoors.

annushorribilis III

My router is in the lounge under the front window. I can still get a connection from the back garden, no direct line of sight and best part of 15m in a straight line from garden to router. 

mrmarkus1981

Boosters are ok.....but remember the signal has to reach it firth to boost it further.

No point in buying one if the signal doesn't reach the house in the first place

4 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

Boosters are ok.....but remember the signal has to reach it firth to boost it further.

Mmmm, good point!

Mark_Mywords

If you can configure your router/hub to use only 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz may help as you get better coverage using 2.4 GHz.  It's not as fast as 5 GHz, but it travels much better.  If you do this, you will probably have to configure your phone/devices to use 2.4 GHz.

3 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

Mmmm, good point!

This might sound like a daft question but I take it the power isn't going to be cut to your house for any lengthy periods while the repair work is carried out?

57 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

This might sound like a daft question but I take it the power isn't going to be cut to your house for any lengthy periods while the repair work is carried out?

Na bud. Quite the opposite in fact. There’s currently about 15 dehumidifiers on 24/7 in my house. Thank Christ the insurers are paying the leccy on that! 😳

30 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Na bud. Quite the opposite in fact. There’s currently about 15 dehumidifiers on 24/7 in my house. Thank Christ the insurers are paying the leccy on that! 😳

mind if I throw in a few lights and fans?

Dagger Is Back
7 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Hoping someone can help here...

Bit of a long story, but I’ve had a massive leak in my house that has seen us have to move out for the next 3 to 6 months. Ive managed to secure a short term let on a house directly across the toad from me (probably no more than 15 metres away from my Sky broadband hub). Now, should I go to the trouble of having my Sky switched off at home, and set up a new WiFi in this short term let, or will I till be able to pick up my broadband from across the road? The WiFi router will be placed on the living room windowsill, directly across the road from the new house. 

Im no very tech savvy, although I understand you can get WiFi boosters and stuff like that. 

Any help is appreciated cheers 👍🏼

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The same happened to us 2 years ago

We were out for 6 months. If you want to swap notes or if I can help you with any things to look out for as they get your house back to normal, just let me know.

8 hours ago, Herbert said:

mind if I throw in a few lights and fans?

🥴 Ken this, I had a wee cactus on a shelf and it was about 3 inches tall. I was in the house yesterday and it’s almost doubled in size 🤣🤣

6 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The same happened to us 2 years ago

We were out for 6 months. If you want to swap notes or if I can help you with any things to look out for as they get your house back to normal, just let me know.

Cheers Dagger. Appreciated 👍🏼

To be honest the insurers have have been absolutely sound. No hassles at all. The leak sprung whilst we were away on a two week holiday, and luckily my eldest was only with us for the first week. He discovered it when he got back. So the wheels were truly in motion by the time we got home. Came home to a completely empty house (clothes gone, contents gone, carpets and beds all gone, the lot) and I’ve got to say, it’s been a smooth process so far. I’ll give you a shout if anything changes tho! 👍🏼

Meanwhile my wifi won't travel from living room to bedroom as it has to get through a chimney wall. Got a booster in the hall which works but reduces the signal from 60-70 mbps in living room to about 6 or 7 in the bedorom. Enough for netflix and phones to work.

Dagger Is Back
14 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

To be honest the insurers have have been absolutely sound. No hassles at all. The leak sprung whilst we were away on a two week holiday, and luckily my eldest was only with us for the first week. He discovered it when he got back. So the wheels were truly in motion by the time we got home. Came home to a completely empty house (clothes gone, contents gone, carpets and beds all gone, the lot) and I’ve got to say, it’s been a smooth process so far. I’ll give you a shout if anything changes tho! 👍🏼

Glad all is going well so far Mr S. Good on your eldest for dealing with it in your absence

Hope we don't need to chat

14 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

sounds like your eldest has sold everything and caused a leak to cover their crimes

20 hours ago, milky_26 said:

sounds like your eldest has sold everything and caused a leak to cover their crimes

:laugh2:

22 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Classic “those stains will never come out” post house party freak out. 

On 07/10/2019 at 15:33, Mr Sifter said:

Encouraging posts guys, cheers. Sounds like I might be ok. Was looking at these WiFi boosters, this one came out on top in a recent review. For £20 odd quid it might be worth getting? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KVD6CJY?tag=georiot-trd-21&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=toptenreviews-4955005532217353365-21

I wouldn't bother at all, its not going to work well. Just phone sky and switch it to the new address, then switch it back, Depending in what was in the house before you they can switch it on within 3 days. Its a change of address not a new contract 

• 1 month later...
On 08/10/2019 at 13:09, hughesie27 said:

Meanwhile my wifi won't travel from living room to bedroom as it has to get through a chimney wall. Got a booster in the hall which works but reduces the signal from 60-70 mbps in living room to about 6 or 7 in the bedorom. Enough for netflix and phones to work.

Following on from.this I've recently bought a 20mt ethernet cable which I was planning on running from the modem straight into a PS4 in one of the weak signal rooms. Would it be possible to instead just buy another wifi modem and connect them up instead to gove the other half of the flat wifi? 

If so is there any particular modem I should be looking at?

24 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Following on from.this I've recently bought a 20mt ethernet cable which I was planning on running from the modem straight into a PS4 in one of the weak signal rooms. Would it be possible to instead just buy another wifi modem and connect them up instead to gove the other half of the flat wifi? 

If so is there any particular modem I should be looking at?

I've been using Powerline adapters and they have worked really well.

The idea is using your domestic electric circuit to pass signal around the house. You have an ethernet drop cable from your main router to a powerline adaptor plugged in a socked next to the router. You then need a second powerline adaptor (or more if you want). There are different sorts of powerline adaptors but the ones I have relay the wi-fi (effectively extending it into the room where you have plugged it in), and it also has a couple of ethernet connectors so you can run a cable from the remote adaptor to the device you want to connect, for instance I've an old sky plus box which takes the cable from the adaptor while the Smart TV picks up the wi-fi from the remote adaptor.

I've bought off eBay before but here's the kind of thing

Eg https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tp-link-computing-accessories/networking/powerline/321_3076_30123_78468_xx/xx-criteria.html

Edited by RobboM

13 minutes ago, RobboM said:

The idea is using your domestic electric circuit to pass signal around the house. You have an ethernet drop cable from your main router to a powerline adaptor plugged in a socked next to the router. You then need a second powerline adaptor (or more if you want). There are different sorts of powerline adaptors but the ones I have relay the wi-fi (effectively extending it into the room where you have plugged it in), and it also has a couple of ethernet connectors so you can run a cable from the remote adaptor to the device you want to connect, for instance I've an old sky plus box which takes the cable from the adaptor while the Smart TV picks up the wi-fi from the remote adaptor.

Eg https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tp-link-computing-accessories/networking/powerline/321_3076_30123_78468_xx/xx-criteria.html

Powerline is epic, no extra cables, doesnt matter how thick your walls are, I swear by it.

I did tech support for a VOIP company a few years ago, it was a paid service for video calls and needed to be perfect. We always recommended powerline adapters for devices that couldn't plug straight into the modem, they really are great.

Captain Sausage
On 08/10/2019 at 13:09, hughesie27 said:

“Netflix and phones”. 

:jjyay:

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Cheers for that. Found these ones on Amazon.

TP-Link TL-PA7010PKIT 1-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit, Data Transfer Speed Up to 1000 Mbps, Ideal for HD/3D/4K Video Streaming and Online Gaming, No Configuration Required, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VW1WCCD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BQVYDbYJ05VPZ

Look decent to you?

With it being an old flat in sighthill would the old wiring reduce the efficiency? 

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Cheers for that. Found these ones on Amazon.

TP-Link TL-PA7010PKIT 1-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit, Data Transfer Speed Up to 1000 Mbps, Ideal for HD/3D/4K Video Streaming and Online Gaming, No Configuration Required, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06VW1WCCD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BQVYDbYJ05VPZ

Look decent to you?

With it being an old flat in sighthill would the old wiring reduce the efficiency? 

Expect the actual speed to be less than the optimal quoted. Those ones look like giving you a point to point wired connection which I guess is what you were after originally.

I've found them very reliable, my electrics were odd in that it was two formerly separate circuits joined together to run off one metered connection. Every socket works absolutely fine regardless of whether they were on the original circuit with the router or not and also on extension leads which it doesn't recommend.

Of course ymmv but like Smithee says above, they are a great solution in widespread use.

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

Expect the actual speed to be less than the optimal quoted. Those ones look like giving you a point to point wired connection which I guess is what you were after originally.

I've found them very reliable, my electrics were odd in that it was two formerly separate circuits joined together to run off one metered connection. Every socket works absolutely fine regardless of whether they were on the original circuit with the router or not and also on extension leads which it doesn't recommend.

Of course ymmv but like Smithee says above, they are a great solution in widespread use.

Aye just noticed before you replied that they weren't wired/wireless versions which is ideally what I'd have. Will have another look! Definitely seems the way to go.

13 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Aye just noticed before you replied that they weren't wired/wireless versions which is ideally what I'd have. Will have another look! Definitely seems the way to go.

See link for something similar. Looks a low cost punt

https://www.gumtree.com/p/modems-broadband-networking/devolo-dlan-500-wifi-powerline-adaptor-kit/1358039831

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Cheers, I really need it all set up tomorrow so will be buying off Amazon prime. Think this one will suit me fine, comes with option of wired and wifi.

Thanks for your help!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=psdc_430576031_t1_B00DEYDF8I

9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Cheers, I really need it all set up tomorrow so will be buying off Amazon prime. Think this one will suit me fine, comes with option of wired and wifi.

Thanks for your help!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=psdc_430576031_t1_B00DEYDF8I

No problem, I've got the slightly older but looks identical version of the same

21 hours ago, RobboM said:

No problem, I've got the slightly older but looks identical version of the same

Got delivered this afternoon. Easy enough to set up.

Unfortunately with my wall sockets being so low to the floor I couldn't plug them in with ethernet cables sticking out the bottom. The "transmitter" one is actually just plugged into an extension lead which is is also plugged into an extension lead, then the wall :lol:.

The receiver is able to plug into the wall but I won't get an ethernet into it.

Regardless the room that was getting 0 wifi from the main router on the PS4 and a reading of 6mbs down using an old BT wifi booster in the hall is now receiving between 45-55mbs down from the wifi boosting receiver.

I actually managed awkwardly squeeze the transmitter into the wall but long term it would have wrecked the ethernet cable below it. It gave the exact same reading as passing through the 2 extension leads first.

Absolutely perfect. Thanks again. 

17 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Unfortunately with my wall sockets being so low to the floor I couldn't plug them in with ethernet cables sticking out the bottom. The "transmitter" one is actually just plugged into an extension lead which is is also plugged into an extension lead, then the wall :lol:.

Regardless the room that was getting 0 wifi from the main router on the PS4 and a reading of 6mbs down using an old BT wifi booster in the hall is now receiving between 45-55mbs down from the wifi boosting receiver.

I actually managed awkwardly squeeze the transmitter into the wall but long term it would have wrecked the ethernet cable below it. It gave the exact same reading as passing through the 2 extension leads first.

Cheers for the update Hughsie 👍

Keep your eyes open for one of these adaptors .... should be ideal 😁

image.png.9f3c979271e4929c813a7720117c8afc.png

33 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I've never tried them through extensions, that's interesting. 

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Would an angled cable help?

11111111111111111111.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Angled-Ethernet-Straight-Network/dp/B06XBXQ6S2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2T6RVEE941PMC&keywords=angled+ethernet+cable&qid=1573678103&sprefix=angled+ethern%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTjBPRExCNE9KVzI2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjEyODU2SUkzUzFYVEdQMVFEJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2MzM3NzczOUFUQURGOUdINEpZJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==  Sorry for the fecking huge link 😆

Edited by Lemongrab

49 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Aye I knew I would eventually be able to get some sort of work around but decided to try the extension lead and chance my luck as most of the stuff online and indeed the instruction book it comes with tells you to avoid using them as they can disrupt the signal.

I'll probably need to buy something like that at some point! Cheers.