American flees UK to avoid prosecution..Disgrace

CJGJ

joondalupjambo
56 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Depends on whether or not a criminal record would cause create issues for Sacalas at home/work.

If that is the case then a permanent official criminal record that has to be declared could cause her issues for decades. That's a trade off that may be acceptable. 

On a slightly different note - a reduced charge in the UK that she is found guilty of could then enable a private prosecution in the US to progress with a high degree of success. Sacalas could be paying the cost of freedom for many decades. 

Interesting stuff in relation to the possible charges.

This is kind of why I said in my original post I wonder if a suspended sentence would be enough for the family and that they would then drop it.  They may well be getting advised the sue Sacalas and keep this thing going, they may well not be able to accept a reduced sentence for a number of other reasons.  I really hope not and that the family accept the rulings and move on with their lives.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Mikey1874

• Justin Z

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

On a slightly different note - a reduced charge in the UK that she is found guilty of could then enable a private prosecution in the US to progress with a high degree of success. Sacalas could be paying the cost of freedom for many decades. 

Already been done and was settled out of court in August.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58276375

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

36 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Interesting stuff in relation to the possible charges.

This is kind of why I said in my original post I wonder if a suspended sentence would be enough for the family and that they would then drop it.  They may well be getting advised the sue Sacalas and keep this thing going, they may well not be able to accept a reduced sentence for a number of other reasons.  I really hope not and that the family accept the rulings and move on with their lives.

Already been done.

15 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They were saying on BBC news that Ms Sacoolas will likely appear via video link, which is probably the best anybody could have hoped for, simply because there is no way that she was going to appear in person.

One small caveat to this news today, is that the CPS would not confirm to the BBC that Ms Sacoolas was still facing the original charge of causing death by dangerous driving. 

Just my own opinion here, but I wouldn't be shocked that she faces a reduced charge of causing death by careless driving and gets a suspended sentence.  What I do know is, that there has been a lot of political & diplomatic wrangling between the UK & the USA to get this far, the compromise of which there has most likely had to have been, could be a non-custodial charge, resulting in that the family get their day in court and that Ms Sacoolas is free to come and go and travel without fear of there being a warrant out for her arrest..........this is just me thinking aloud.

Yup, will make for a smoother discussion should the US want to extradite a high profile individual further down the road.

Just now, milky_26 said:

I wonder if this is connected to the ruling that assange can be extradited to the USA?

Nope, the US were always going to get Assange, it was only a matter of bidding their time and waiting.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nope, the US were always going to get Assange, it was only a matter of bidding their time and waiting.

But they might have agreed to this to get him sooner

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

But they might have agreed to this to get him sooner

I just don't see Uncle Sam agreeing to anything which involves a US citizen, especially one of their own CIA spooks.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Anne Sacoolas, 45, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey, via videolink, to causing the 19-year-old's death by careless driving.

Harry Dunn: Anne Sacoolas admits causing crash death - BBC News

She'll get a suspended sentence, banned from driving in the UK for something like 2 years and fined a thousand pounds.

There was never a realistic chance that she was ever going to jail, a plea deal was always the most likely outcome here. 

The Real Maroonblood
29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

She'll get a suspended sentence, banned from driving in the UK for something like 2 years and fined a thousand pounds.

There was never a realistic chance that she was ever going to jail, a plea deal was always the most likely outcome here. 

I just hope that the family at least get some closure.

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I just hope that the family at least get some closure.

Reading the article it would seem that they have, as Harry's mother has said that she's completed her promise to Harry.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Reading the article it would seem that they have, as Harry's mother has said that she's completed her promise to Harry.

Good to hear.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

She's to attend court in person for sentencing.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

It will make no tangible difference but at least it’s on her record. So much of her behaviour has been a disgrace. Pretty sure the only reason she’s faced up to this because the press have been breathing down her neck constantly and (rightly) were never going to leave her alone.

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

She's to attend court in person for sentencing.

I'd be absolutely stunned if she turned up in court. She will sit in US, look apologetic and sorry, and as soon as camera switched off, she'll return to her normal life, and never give this another moments thought.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

No way to enforce that though. 

Would be nice if we had a strong PM to tell the US to hand her over or the next time you ask for an extradition you will politely be told to ram it.

Oh wait...

38 minutes ago, trotter said:

Would be nice if we had a strong PM to tell the US to hand her over or the next time you ask for an extradition you will politely be told to ram it.

Oh wait...

She has diplomatic immunity. Doesn't work like that. 

I think one way to approach it is it had been one of ours with diplomatic immunity and this had happened in the US, would ours do as she has done? I don't know.

From a personal perspective as someone who moved to the US after decades of driving on the left hand side of the road, it happens. It happened to me once coming out of a little strip mall on to a road. I turned left and was driving on the left for maybe ten yards.

It was night and dark and I quickly saw vehicles with lights on though luckily hundreds of yards ahead of me coming straight at me. Realised what I had done and veered over to the right on what again, luckily, was a completely empty road around me.

Maybe that's partly what threw me into UK auto pilot, if there had been traffic I would have seen the flow.

Done it a couple of times, in both countries, LtoR, RtoL. It happens, unfortunately. Feel for all involved, a tragic accident.

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think one way to approach it is it had been one of ours with diplomatic immunity and this had happened in the US, would ours do as she has done? I don't know.

From a personal perspective as someone who moved to the US after decades of driving on the left hand side of the road, it happens. It happened to me once coming out of a little strip mall on to a road. I turned left and was driving on the left for maybe ten yards.

It was night and dark and I quickly saw vehicles with lights on though luckily hundreds of yards ahead of me coming straight at me. Realised what I had done and veered over to the right on what again, luckily, was a completely empty road around me.

Maybe that's partly what threw me into UK auto pilot, if there had been traffic I would have seen the flow.

Yup, although I drove a lot in France when I lived there, I got it wrong once. The road had narrowed to a single track and when it widened again I went to the left rather than the right. It was only when I noticed that the signs were on the "wrong" side of the road that I realised I had cocked up. Fortunately there was no other traffic around at the time, which probably contributed to my mistake, and so no damage was done. So easy to do though.

14 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I'd be absolutely stunned if she turned up in court. She will sit in US, look apologetic and sorry, and as soon as camera switched off, she'll return to her normal life, and never give this another moments thought.

I very much doubt that.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I very much doubt that.

Personally hope her next and any other shites in her life is hedgehogs.

22 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

So impressed by the way they’ve carried themselves throughout this ordeal. 

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

I very much doubt that.

She seemed quite likely to do so if the Dunn family hadn’t kept up the fight. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

She’s definitely realised that taking a criminal record with zero punishment > being pursued by lawyers/press indefinitely. Comes across as a right bint who thought she was untouchable 

Bonnie Prince Charlie

A few people on here have mentioned diplomatic immunity but that seems a bit uncertain. I was listening to James O'Brien on LBC yesterday (a guy I respect) and he said the diplomatic immunity was a bit suspect, just saying.

12 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

She was certainly not "manning up" and standing up to her responsibilities as a human being, particularly as in doing so she caused tremendous hurt to Harry's family. There's no denying that. However, I don't think " she'll return to her normal life, and never give this another moments thought." as the other poster stated.

48 minutes ago, redjambo said:

She was certainly not "manning up" and standing up to her responsibilities as a human being, particularly as in doing so she caused tremendous hurt to Harry's family. There's no denying that. However, I don't think " she'll return to her normal life, and never give this another moments thought." as the other poster stated.

Forgive the cynic in me and the almost tin foil hat aspect but given her area of work…I’m again not so sure. 

Maybe I’m doing her a disservice. I’m glad she did face the music even if it was by video call and strong armed into it. 

• 1 month later...
The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Another kick in the teeth for Harry and his family

I agree but I wouldn’t have expected anything else from the Yanks as it’s always a one way system with them.

Scumbags.

17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Another kick in the teeth for Harry and his family

From the US Government mainly, although our own Government/Foreign Office don't come out of this looking good either.

Tbh any sentence the judge imposed was academic with Ms Sacoolas being in the US and also being protected by the US Government, she was and is never ever going to return back to the UK.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

From the US Government mainly, although our own Government/Foreign Office don't come out of this looking good either.

Tbh any sentence the judge imposed was academic with Ms Sacoolas being in the US and also being protected by the US Government, she was and is never ever going to return back to the UK.

So much for the “ special relationship “ 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

So much for the “ special relationship “ 

It's the "One way special relationship", has been for years.

Not much remorse being shown here.

Yeh I seen that, and your right not an ounce of remorse on show.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not much remorse being shown here.

I guess if nothing else, it leaves her looking over her shoulders for journos who feel like hassling her.

It’s weird how someone like her can be untouchable but she clearly thinks she is untouchable, which is pretty worrying.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I guess if nothing else, it leaves her looking over her shoulders for journos who feel like hassling her.

It’s weird how someone like her can be untouchable but she clearly thinks she is untouchable, which is pretty worrying.

I think that it's part of the American psyche thinking that they are untouchable in many aspects of life.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think that it's part of the American psyche thinking that they are untouchable in many aspects of life.

Dominic Raab forever proving himself to be man of the people too 🙄