American flees UK to avoid prosecution..Disgrace

CJGJ

1 hour ago, OTT said:

She still took extreme measures to evade justice. Like you say, an accident, a tragic accident which she has twisted the knife by thinking jumping in a plane and running away is an acceptable course of action. Utterly cowardly and devoid of character. 

She's prolonged the families pain and denied them closure. If she is ever extradited I would hope the full force of the law is applied. 

Spot on!

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Mikey1874

• Justin Z

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

She's the one they need to protect. That makes a lot more sense. 

Also, "former" CIA agent. Lol. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The Real Maroonblood
48 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

She's the one they need to protect. That makes a lot more sense. 

Also, "former" CIA agent. Lol. 

Took them a while to make that one up.

The Yanks being unscrupulous. Never.

Doctor FinnBarr
8 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Took them a while to make that one up.

The Yanks being unscrupulous. Never.

No one wants to see her jailed for life/put on death row for this. She caused a death which you or I would need to stand trial for but she managed to skip out the country. Cowardess

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

No one wants to see her jailed for life/put on death row for this. She caused a death which you or I would need to stand trial for but she managed to skip out the country. Cowardess

Exactly.

• 3 months later...

I see Interpol have put out an international arrest warrant for her. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8308287/Interpol-issues-international-arrest-warrant-Harry-Dunns-alleged-killer-Anne-Sacoolas.html

The wife of a US intelligence official accused of killing British teenager Harry Dunn is now a fugitive on the run after Interpol issued an international arrest warrant for her.

Nine months after the fatal crash, after which she fled Britain for the US, Anne Sacoolas is now the subject of an Interpol Red Notice.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I see Interpol have put out an international arrest warrant for her. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8308287/Interpol-issues-international-arrest-warrant-Harry-Dunns-alleged-killer-Anne-Sacoolas.html

The wife of a US intelligence official accused of killing British teenager Harry Dunn is now a fugitive on the run after Interpol issued an international arrest warrant for her.

Nine months after the fatal crash, after which she fled Britain for the US, Anne Sacoolas is now the subject of an Interpol Red Notice.

Good news and it’ll be interesting how this pans out.
Unfortunately the USA will be extremely hard to deal with.

It’s always a one way thing with them.

7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They want a trade deaL…..SO LETS DEAL.

Donald will sacrifice anything and anybody to get reelected including her

Lets hope she makes a mistake one day and looks to leave the good old USA thinking she can get away with it

Edited by CJGJ

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Yip, only ever goes one way with them.

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Lets hope she makes a mistake one day and looks to leave the good old USA thinking she can get away with it

This.

• 9 months later...
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The court has definitely arrived at a sensible jurisdictional judgement here imo. The legal doctrine of "Forum non conveniens" was born in Scotland and lives on in the common law in the States. That's what Sacoolas was trying to argue for, that it makes little sense to pursue a case for an incident that happened in England, in the US. But the judge rightly said "Nuh uh, you are arguing both that an English court makes more sense while vowing never to return to the UK and having asked the US government to deny your extradition, which it did. Justice needs to be done somewhere."

I fully expect her lawyer to continue to argue for diplomatic immunity and other technicalities of the law in proceedings, but this hurdle has been cleared.

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

The court has definitely arrived at a sensible jurisdictional judgement here imo. The legal doctrine of "Forum non conveniens" was born in Scotland and lives on in the common law in the States. That's what Sacoolas was trying to argue for, that it makes little sense to pursue a case for an incident that happened in England, in the US. But the judge rightly said "Nuh uh, you are arguing both that an English court makes more sense while vowing never to return to the UK and having asked the US government to deny your extradition, which it did. Justice needs to be done somewhere."

I fully expect her lawyer to continue to argue for diplomatic immunity and other technicalities of the law in proceedings, but this hurdle has been cleared.

Wondering if this could affect chances of returning to UK. Realistically she is facing a small fine in England. Might be a worse outcome in US court. 

Most reasonable people want her to take responsibility. Damages does that at least in some way.

Good that it raises interesting legal principles.

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wondering if this could affect chances of returning to UK. Realistically she is facing a small fine in England. Might be a worse outcome in US court. 

Most reasonable people want her to take responsibility. Damages does that at least in some way.

Good that it raises interesting legal principles.

Good point. And yeah, I don't think this decision precludes her from now choosing to return to the UK and she'd then be able to argue in the US, "this matter is being settled in England" in order to dismiss the case. It just means "if you don't go handle this matter in the most convenient forum, it'll need to be handled somewhere, and here is as good as any."

• 5 months later...

Family are suggesting that Anne Sacoolas may have been 'distracted' by her mobile phone at the time of the crash.

This follows a line of enquiry by the family's legal team into Anne Sacoolas' phone usage, in which court documents say that Mrs Sacoolas has been "evasive, non-responsive & inconsistent" about her phone usage, the documents further went on to claim that data from the phone was available for the day before & the day after the crash but that no data was found on the SIM card for the day of the crash, raising the possiblity that relevant data had been "deleted".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58144499

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Another reminder that using a phone while driving is just asking for trouble. Anyone caught doing it should be immediately banned. I'd include having phones stuck to windscreens in that. 

I truly hope this family gets some form of justice for the loss of their son. 

I can't dig it out immediately but the Polis posted up video of a lorry driver who'd been texting on his phone (which was stuck to the screen) for long periods of time while belting along at 55 before slamming into the back of a broken down truck. Utterly cretinous to believe that you can be safely in charge of a moving vehicle while doing that.

That said, hands-free is not the same for a phone conversation. It's no different to having a conversation with passengers in your car. I only take incoming calls, though; my system seems to think it's funny to re-enact the lift scene from Burniston with me.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Another reminder that using a phone while driving is just asking for trouble. Anyone caught doing it should be immediately banned. I'd include having phones stuck to windscreens in that. 

I truly hope this family gets some form of justice for the loss of their son. 

And it could have been all so different.

IMO all the Americans had to do was to hold their hands up, admit that one of their employees had fecked up, however you can't charge her as she has diplomatic immunity, but we will convey our sincere apologies and condolences to the family and in due course come to an amicable and generious settlement for their loss.

But no, they had to spirit her away on a secret flight and have constantly said feck you.......feck you........feck you, to everything the family has tried to do.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And it could have been all so different.

IMO all the Americans had to do was to hold their hands up, admit that one of their employees had fecked up, however you can't charge her as she has diplomatic immunity, but we will convey our sincere apologies and condolences to the family and in due course come to an amicable and generious settlement for their loss.

But no, they had to spirit her away on a secret flight and have constantly said feck you.......feck you........feck you, to everything the family has tried to do.

Spot on.

It was probably unlikely she would’ve been jailed for it.

The family were only wanting justice.

15 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Spot on.

It was probably unlikely she would’ve been jailed for it.

The family were only wanting justice.

Yip, that's all they've ever wanted, they're not bothered about somebody going to jail, they just want someone to take responsibility for the crash.

9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I heard that idea was pitched to both parties. The Yank was reluctant, but Andrew simply replied 'Sure, no sweat, just as soon as I finish my pizza.'

FTFY 👍

• 2 weeks later...

The civil damages case which was supposed to be heard in America next week has been postponed.

Issuing a short statement about the postponement, the Dunn family's spokesman Radd Seiger said: "By mutual agreement, the depositions of Mr and Mrs Sacoolas scheduled for next Tuesday and Wednesday have been postponed.

"The family accordingly are now remaining in the UK and in the meantime they are once again focusing their attention on securing justice in the criminal case.

"We are unable to go into any further detail at this time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58276375

I don't know if this means that a financial settlement has been reached or whatever, I don't know.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

• 1 month later...

An agreement has been reached between the family of Harry Dunn & Anne Sacoolas in the civil damages case.

Ms Sacoolas still faces a criminal investigation into Harry's death.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

An agreement has been reached between the family of Harry Dunn & Anne Sacoolas in the civil damages case.

so tough for the family. They must resent having to do this but what option is there? That woman will never come near the UK again 

No doubt the insurance company or dare I say this the US government have paid out on her behalf.

One part of this comes to an end but the most important part has still to be resolved and that may be a long time for the family to wait.

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

So from demanding justice and accepting no answer accept her trial, family settle for cash. 

Neither family comes out of this well 

15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

So from demanding justice and accepting no answer accept her trial, family settle for cash. 

There is still a criminal investigation, this was a civil case completely seperate from any criminal case.

3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Agree with this If the deceased person isn't the main breadwinner I find this American based compo idea not very palatable unless of course they pass it to a charity

luckyBatistuta

I’ve no idea what this all means in the bigger picture(had a few drinks)  but I just can’t get my head around accepting any monies from them. I’d like to think I’d make myself bankrupt if it was to bring someone who’d killed my child to justice.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Pap said:

To be fair. If she facing a custodial sentence then shes better off coming back to the UK so she will inevitably get a much lighter sentence than she would in the US.

I would be very surprised if she got a custodial sentence. 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

I would be very surprised if she got a custodial sentence. 

If shes getting a criminal trial, i believe she will. Whats the point if its all pre worked out that she will be let off then? She killed someone. It maybe a tolken gesture year or two but if shes just given probation or let off then it will be the final insult to Harrys family. If shes getting no punishment then dont proceed with the court case. The fact is that she is facing criminal charges show they are at least doing something about it. I believe she will do some time.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Pap said:

If shes getting a criminal trial, i believe she will. Whats the point if its all pre worked out that she will be let off then? She killed someone. It maybe a tolken gesture year or two but if shes just given probation or let off then it will be the final insult to Harrys family. If shes getting no punishment then dont proceed with the court case. The fact is that she is facing criminal charges show they are at least doing something about it. I believe she will do some time.

It would be pleasing if she got time.

3 minutes ago, Pap said:

There will not be a criminal trial, not even in the UK, far less in the USA.

She is protected by the American Government, she will not face any criminal trials or charges whilst she remains in the US, sure she could be charged in the UK, but it's only a piece of paper as far as the Americans will be concerned.

The best of it all is that she was probably never looking at jail time anyway, she was probably looking at nothing more than a suspended sentence, but because she works for the CIA, it had to be protected what she does for the agency, hence get her out of the country, quick.

On 11/05/2020 at 10:57, CJGJ said:

Why not trade her for Prince Andrew

15 hours ago, Pap said:

She had diplomatic immunity. There is absolutely no way she’ll face a criminal trial in the UK or do any time in jail. 

• 2 months later...

Breaking News.

Anne Sacoolas is to face Westminster magistrates on the 18 January 2022 on a charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

I do not know if she will appear in person or by video link or be tried in absentia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-59643750

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Breaking News.

Anne Sacoolas is to face Westminster magistrates on the 18 January 2022 on a charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

I do not know if she will appear in person or by video link or be tried in absentia.

Good news.

joondalupjambo
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Breaking News.

I am suspecting a suspended sentence and perhaps a hefty fine but would that that be enough for the mother?

Edited by joondalupjambo

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I am suspecting a suspended sentence and perhaps a hefty fine but would that that be enough for the mother?

I hope it's enough for the mother so she can get some closure.

joondalupjambo
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I hope it's enough for the mother so she can get some closure.

Me too but anytime I hear her she seems to come across as wanting much more than my guess of the outcome.  Maybe I am misreading her.

4 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Me too but anytime I hear her she seems to come across as wanting much more than my guess of the outcome.  Maybe I am misreading her.

I think that is probably emotions at play.

She has also said that all she wants is someone to face justice for Harry's death, that is now happening, and like yourself I do hope that the family can accept whatever the verdict of the court case is, and move on afterwards.

joondalupjambo
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think that is probably emotions at play.

Good point.

Hopefully settled soon and she can move forward. Up

46 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Breaking News.

The right outcome seems to be playing out now. This was a tragic accident and will hopefully give Harry’s family some closure. 

33 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Will be interesting to see if she's dealt with in the same way as others who've casused death by dangerous driving.

Can think of a couple of instances where a jail sentence is the outcome - in one case ; 6 yrs.

Malinga the Swinga

No winners in this case are possible and I doubt any participants will feel good, regardless of outcome.

Tragic waste of a life.

They were saying on BBC news that Ms Sacoolas will likely appear via video link, which is probably the best anybody could have hoped for, simply because there is no way that she was going to appear in person.

One small caveat to this news today, is that the CPS would not confirm to the BBC that Ms Sacoolas was still facing the original charge of causing death by dangerous driving. 

Just my own opinion here, but I wouldn't be shocked that she faces a reduced charge of causing death by careless driving and gets a suspended sentence.  What I do know is, that there has been a lot of political & diplomatic wrangling between the UK & the USA to get this far, the compromise of which there has most likely had to have been, could be a non-custodial charge, resulting in that the family get their day in court and that Ms Sacoolas is free to come and go and travel without fear of there being a warrant out for her arrest..........this is just me thinking aloud.

15 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Depends on whether or not a criminal record would cause create issues for Sacalas at home/work.

If that is the case then a permanent official criminal record that has to be declared could cause her issues for decades. That's a trade off that may be acceptable. 

On a slightly different note - a reduced charge in the UK that she is found guilty of could then enable a private prosecution in the US to progress with a high degree of success. Sacalas could be paying the cost of freedom for many decades.