American flees UK to avoid prosecution..Disgrace

CJGJ

23 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

if i was the police i would setup something near there and arrest everyone who is driving on the wrong side of the road, make a big spectacle of it

Well it's clear something needs done.

Heaven forbid, but could you just imagine the public outcry if someone else is killed or seriously injured.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Mikey1874

• Justin Z

Maybe folk who work at US bases should be given some tuition on driving on the left. I think we all should have to learn how to drive on the opposite side for traveling abroad. I wouldn't drive on the right without training. I don't know if I'm being a bit of a :dramaqueen:

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Maybe folk who work at US bases should be given some tuition on driving on the left. I think we all should have to learn how to drive on the opposite side for traveling abroad. I wouldn't drive on the right without training. I don't know if I'm being a bit of a :dramaqueen:

If we're talking in the realm of reality you're right--this goes not just for Americans but the vast majority of Europeans who come here. There's a statistically measurable rate of incidences of accidental wrong-side driving and this would help to lower that. Not to mention lorries transporting goods across the channel--drivers in those lorries are at a vision disadvantage when their steering wheel is on the incorrect side relative to whichever side of the road they're now driving on.

In fantasyland, what should have happened was that as part of the conditions under which the UK (and Malta, and Cyprus) joined the EC originally, it should have been made to switch sides of the road in conformance with the rest of Europe. Of course that didn't happen, and it's never going to happen, but it would have saved countless lives by now.

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

If we're talking in the realm of reality you're right--this goes not just for Americans but the vast majority of Europeans who come here. There's a statistically measurable rate of incidences of accidental wrong-side driving and this would help to lower that. Not to mention lorries transporting goods across the channel--drivers in those lorries are at a vision disadvantage when their steering wheel is on the incorrect side relative to whichever side of the road they're now driving on.

In fantasyland, what should have happened was that as part of the conditions under which the UK (and Malta, and Cyprus) joined the EC originally, it should have been made to switch sides of the road in conformance with the rest of Europe. Of course that didn't happen, and it's never going to happen, but it would have saved countless lives by now.

The whole world should be standardised on the right. But this joint won't give it up. I'm sure the old colonies and Japan would.

A wee question. Did everyone drive on the right just to get it up Britain? 

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The whole world should be standardised on the right. But this joint won't give it up. I'm sure the old colonies and Japan would.

A wee question. Did everyone drive on the right just to get it up Britain? 

I've read that it's an accident of history that most countries drive on the right, actually, because horsemen used to pass each other to the left--they were right handed so it allowed you to keep your sword in front of your body in defence. This then carried over for horse-drawn carriages, and eventually, cars--cars in Britain, anyway.

But under Napoleon, France had been pushing a bunch of reforms for the sake of reforming--to break from the old monarchy. And passing to the left just happened to be one of them. Some people say it's because Napoleon was left-handed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It was just for the psychological change away from how things had previously been done. Most of the rest of Europe ended up conforming to this as cars took hold. Sweden was among the last to switch over in 1967.

That said, I haven't been able to figure out how/why the US ended up on the right.

Edited by Justin Z
for clarity

2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I've read that it's an accident of history that most countries drive on the right, actually, because horsemen used to pass each other to the left--they were right handed so it allowed you to keep your sword in front of your body in defence. This then carried over for horse-drawn carriages, and eventually, cars.

Then under Napoleon France started pushing a bunch of reforms for the sake of reforming--to break from the old monarchy. And passing to the left just happened to be one of them. Some people say it's because Napoleon was left-handed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It was just for the psychological change away from how things had previously been done. Most of the rest of Europe ended up conforming to this as cars took hold. Sweden was among the last to switch over in 1967.

That said, I haven't been able to figure out how/why the US ended up on the right.

👍 

Oh, what about yourself, do you drive and did it take some getting used to, when you first got behind the wheel over here?.

Edited by ri Alban

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The whole world should be standardised on the right. But this joint won't give it up.

Oddly emblematic and fitting of the extra-favourable treatment Britain has always gotten from the EC and the EU, which it has so graciously and gratefully repaid . . . but that's a derail. :wink:

Would be a bloody complex, expensive and huge undertaking to make a switch from driving on the left to driving on the right. Every single driver would have to relearn,  roads would have to be shut for an exteded period of time, majorn changes to motorway slip roads and other road structures would have to be taken. The rules of the road would change, road signs altered/turned the other way,  roads repainted, q way systems altered...

Maybe not impossible but would be some undertaking. 

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Would be a bloody complex, expensive and huge undertaking to make a switch from driving on the left to driving on the right. Every single driver would have to relearn,  roads would have to be shut for an exteded period of time, majorn changes to motorway slip roads and other road structures would have to be taken. The rules of the road would change, road signs altered/turned the other way,  roads repainted, q way systems altered...

In other words, A mindfeck. It's too late, but back in the seventies it was doable.

12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

There's some good details of how they did it in Sweden in the 1967 in the link up there, and without shutting roads. Changes to road structures though, for sure--needing to get everything reversed, basically.

Shock Horror USA rejects extradition

The US has turned down an extradition request for one of its citizens to be charged over the death of motorcyclist Harry Dunn, a family spokesman said.

Mr Dunn, 19, died after a crash in Northamptonshire in August which led to the suspect, Anne Sacoolas, leaving for the US under diplomatic immunity.

The Home Office started extradition proceedings on charges of causing the death by dangerous driving.

Spokesman Radd Seiger said "the fight goes on" for Mr Dunn's family.

He said the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo turned down the extradition request, which the family's constituency MP Andrea Leadsom informed them about.

Mr Dunn's family said they would react fully to the news on Friday morning, adding "the fight goes on" for justice for their son.

'Highly inappropriate'

Ms Leadsom is due to meet the US ambassador Woody Johnson in London on Friday to discuss the case.

When the Home Office started extradition proceedings the US State Department said the request would be "highly inappropriate".

It insisted Ms Sacoolas' status at the time of the crash meant she had diplomatic immunity.

SectionDJambo

The cost relationship between Boris and The Donald could get a wee bit tetchy in a wee while. 
This tragic situation of Harry Dunn and the Tech Tax are getting our “great deal” with the US off to not an optimistic start. All we need is Farage to stir things up, regarding the EU negotiations, for his mate in the White House, and their could be a falling out.

I noticed a video of Charlie not shaking hands with Pence. Just an oversight, or is there friction between them as well?

4 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Hopefully she gets hounded for the rest of her days 

In America? They won't bat an eyelid at this.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Feel for the lads parents knowing she's sitting comfortably back home exempt for any questioning. 

Hopefully the guilt keeps her awake at night and eats away at her all day.  But I doubt it. 

Not sure why we haven't insisted more on this.

Washington said granting the request would "render the invocation of diplomatic immunity a practical nullity".

Diplomatic immunity is there to protect from falling foul of different customs, or things they might be prosecuted for in a host country that are outwith their control.

It is not for going round and killing people, then fleeing the country.  This women should be jailed for her crime, and it should be a life sentence for leaving the country.

If someone did this to an American citizen, there would be absolute hell to pay and you can guarantee they would get their way.  I am absolutely sick of their disregard for anyone other than themselves on the political scene.

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Trumpy likes his quid pro quo, well the USA wants Julian Assange.......................................

And that Chinese wifey currently under arrest in Canada...

annushorribilis III
20 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Trumpy likes his quid pro quo, well the USA wants Julian Assange.......................................

He doesn't really,  given Assange expressly leaked the Hilary emails to get him elected. 

I meant to say , I doubt Trump will be too bothered about getting his man back to the US. 

Edited by annushorribilis III

48 minutes ago, trotter said:

And that Chinese wifey currently under arrest in Canada...

Which just highlights that it's a different story when the US wants someone.

Was hearning on the news that this is the first time ever that a British extradition has been refused without first going through the US justice system, seemingly Mike Pompeo vetoed the request before a judge could even view it.

Just what was Anne Sacoolas' husband doing, for his wife to receive such high level protection.

Anyone from a US forces base caught by the British police driving on the right. First thing I would do is give them a drugs test.

9 hours ago, tian447 said:

Not sure why we haven't insisted more on this.

Diplomatic immunity is there to protect from falling foul of different customs, or things they might be prosecuted for in a host country that are outwith their control.

It is not for going round and killing people, then fleeing the country.  This women should be jailed for her crime, and it should be a life sentence for leaving the country.

If someone did this to an American citizen, there would be absolute hell to pay and you can guarantee they would get their way.  I am absolutely sick of their disregard for anyone other than themselves on the political scene.

Diplomatic immunity is simply for spies not for the wife of a spy

1 day she might fancy a holiday in Canada. Issue the extradition notice and get them to arrest her and send her over.

32 minutes ago, superjack said:

1 day she might fancy a holiday in Canada. Issue the extradition notice and get them to arrest her and send her over.

Mentioned on the TV that one possible route is to issue an Interpol red notice (I think it was called), meaning that if she ever sets foot outside of America she could be arrested, held and sent to the UK and there's feck all uncle sam can do about it.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Anyone from a US forces base caught by the British police driving on the right. First thing I would do is give them a drugs test.

Sounds like a waste of time and money to me.

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Anyone from a US forces base caught by the British police driving on the right. First thing I would do is automatically ban them from driving over here. 

Ftfy. 

6 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

He doesn't really,  given Assange expressly leaked the Hilary emails to get him elected. 

I meant to say , I doubt Trump will be too bothered about getting his man back to the US. 

Remember he has never heard of wikileaks

10 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Which just highlights that it's a different story when the US wants someone.

Was hearning on the news that this is the first time ever that a British extradition has been refused without first going through the US justice system, seemingly Mike Pompeo vetoed the request before a judge could even view it.

Just what was Anne Sacoolas' husband doing, for his wife to receive such high level protection.

Did we ever extradite that young lad who was accused of hacking? I remember the US being a bit aggressive with that one, but can't remember big they were told to :bolt:

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Did we ever extradite that young lad who was accused of hacking? I remember the US being a bit aggressive with that one, but can't remember big they were told to :bolt:

Gary McKinnon is the guy your thinking about, and as far as I recall the US did want him but he never went, think he fought it through the UK courts and won.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Gary McKinnon is the guy your thinking about, and as far as I recall the US did want him but he never went, think he fought it through the UK courts and won.

He did.

20 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Mentioned on the TV that one possible route is to issue an Interpol red notice (I think it was called), meaning that if she ever sets foot outside of America she could be arrested, held and sent to the UK and there's feck all uncle sam can do about it.

Not a bad idea that. She essentially becomes a prisoner inside the US

1 hour ago, trotter said:

Not a bad idea that. She essentially becomes a prisoner inside the US

Most Americans never leave The USA so it’s not overly inconvenient I imagine. 

42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It's inconvenient if her husband is posted overseas, she'll be taking a big risk following him.

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's inconvenient if her husband is posted overseas, she'll be taking a big risk following him.

I think he’ll be fine for home based jobs now. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

It’s really surprised me when I read that a few years ago.

A yougov poll in America has revealed that 64% of Americans support the extradition of Anne Sacoolas back to the UK to face justice, just 9% of those surveyed would oppose it, and it's pretty equal figures amongst Democrat & Republican supporters of over 60% in each political group think she should be extradited to the UK. 

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/01/28/two-thirds-americans-support-anne-sacoolas-extradi

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

• 2 weeks later...

Just knew there was more to this case than met the eye.

It's being claimed that Anne Sacoolas is a former CIA agent who held a higher rank than her husband does, former, naw once in the agency you never ever leave the agency, this'll explain why she is being protected from the very top, she's a spook, might not be active right now, but she's a spy nonetheless.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's being claimed that Anne Sacoolas is a former CIA agent who held a higher rank than her husband does, former, naw once in the agency you never ever leave the agency, this'll explain why she is being protected from the very top, she's a spook, might not be active right now, but she's a spy nonetheless.

Sho Moneypenny she's Jemima Bond!

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It’s probably just a charade to suit the situation.

Seymour M Hersh
On 24/01/2020 at 08:03, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m totally shocked at their refusal to extradite this killer.

She didn't go out that morning to kill the laddie ffs. She should be held accountable for a tragic accident but to refer to her in the same way you'd describe someone who'd stabbed someone to death on say, the streets of London is just wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

She didn't go out that morning to kill the laddie ffs. She should be held accountable for a tragic accident but to refer to her in the same way you'd describe someone who'd stabbed someone to death on say, the streets of London is just wrong. 

You're right and wrong. She done a runner, after she cause a death by dangerous driving.

Yes it was  accidental, but the aftermath wasn't.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Of course she didn’t but it doesn’t change the fact that she killed someone.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You're right and wrong. She done a runner, after she cause a death by dangerous driving.

Yes it was  accidental, but the aftermath wasn't.

She still took extreme measures to evade justice. Like you say, an accident, a tragic accident which she has twisted the knife by thinking jumping in a plane and running away is an acceptable course of action. Utterly cowardly and devoid of character. 

She's prolonged the families pain and denied them closure. If she is ever extradited I would hope the full force of the law is applied.