Tynieman

Swindon Jambo ; Two or three were gang related : One was protecting his mum from domestic  abuse, another famously pushed his wife over Salisbury Crags . 

None appeared overly remorseful other  than losing their freedom . Gallows type humour was plentiful . 

Edited by Meadows

I worked the wings at Addiewell for 2 years. 

Now, before the "hang em high" brigade get in on this thread some things probably need clarifying.

Yes prisoners can have xbox, playstations etc but only up to certain models as beyond them they have internet capability. Prisoners PAY for the stuff they have/get. Wether its family or from their own funds. Prisons have always and are survived by money obtained.

Yes Addiewell prisoners had/have flat screen TVs. Again these are paid for by the prisoners either out of daily pay for work, attending education or by family etc paying into personal accounts. The reasons for the TVs being flat screens are that 1; Try buying a portable TV of the old variety (even in 2008 when Addiewell opened) and 2; Flat screen TVs are much lighter so will cause less damage when thrown. 3; Less space for hiding contraband. Indeed many prisons are now introducing clear plastic fittings for TVs, radios etc.. 

Yes Addiewell prisoners had shower and toilet in their cells. These were hardly the "ensuite luxuries" the Sun etc proclaimed. The toilet has no seat and is literally inches form the shower. Again there were/are reasons for this. Single cells reduce personal assaults by a huge percentage (can't remember the figures but trust me, it's substantial!), having a shower/toilet in your own cell again reduces massively the opportunity and ability to assault fellow prisoners. basically outside of the cells the whole place has cctv all over the place. Again reducing ability to assault without penalty greatly. It reduces the need for manpower to march naked men along a landing for showers and then actively have to watch and observe said naked prisoners for intent and have to intervene in incidents.

Despite all these luxuries, a prisoner is still a prisoner. Never seen such a bunch of entitled greeting faced children in my life. First impression of a wing was it resembled a playground.  As for the entitled label,.. I'll give an example. I used a notepad to write down prisoner issues, concerns needs etc as obviously they can't do many things for themselves, ie check their account, get meetings with social work to arrange visits with children etc.. Anyway, this one morning I was on my own responsible for 60 prisoners (a whole wing) by myself (4 weeks into the job at his point btw). 1 prisoner had 9 things he needed me to sort. added to the issues of the rest of the wing it amounted to something in the region of 30 issues that I would need to spend the morning phoning about aswell as sorting out wing cleaning, visits, education etc... The all come back from trade training etc and I have managed to clear approx 25/26 issues. The 3/4 issues for other prisoners I explained to them , they were OK andwent off for lunch. The guy with 9 I had managed to sort 8 of. He went off calling me all the useless ******* screw pricks under the sun "you chunts never try **** all for us.."  You get the picture. 8 issues I sorted for that ungrateful chunt. Ungrateful childish chunts.

From the prisoner perspective, I know of several cases of rape, but nobody said anything, several cases of "catch up".. people getting a total doing because of previous behaviour, either outside or more commonly previous sentences. 

This take is maybe more from former officer side and not quite what OP was after but prison, even nowadays is not a place you want to be. Stay well out of it. 

6 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Now, before the "hang em high" brigade get in on this thread some things probably need clarifying.

Yes prisoners can have xbox, playstations etc but only up to certain models as beyond them they have internet capability. Prisoners PAY for the stuff they have/get. Wether its family or from their own funds. Prisons have always and are survived by money obtained.

Yes Addiewell prisoners had/have flat screen TVs. Again these are paid for by the prisoners either out of daily pay for work, attending education or by family etc paying into personal accounts. The reasons for the TVs being flat screens are that 1; Try buying a portable TV of the old variety (even in 2008 when Addiewell opened) and 2; Flat screen TVs are much lighter so will cause less damage when thrown. 3; Less space for hiding contraband. Indeed many prisons are now introducing clear plastic fittings for TVs, radios etc.. 

Yes Addiewell prisoners had shower and toilet in their cells. These were hardly the "ensuite luxuries" the Sun etc proclaimed. The toilet has no seat and is literally inches form the shower. Again there were/are reasons for this. Single cells reduce personal assaults by a huge percentage (can't remember the figures but trust me, it's substantial!), having a shower/toilet in your own cell again reduces massively the opportunity and ability to assault fellow prisoners. basically outside of the cells the whole place has cctv all over the place. Again reducing ability to assault without penalty greatly. It reduces the need for manpower to march naked men along a landing for showers and then actively have to watch and observe said naked prisoners for intent and have to intervene in incidents.

Despite all these luxuries, a prisoner is still a prisoner. Never seen such a bunch of entitled greeting faced children in my life. First impression of a wing was it resembled a playground.  As for the entitled label,.. I'll give an example. I used a notepad to write down prisoner issues, concerns needs etc as obviously they can't do many things for themselves, ie check their account, get meetings with social work to arrange visits with children etc.. Anyway, this one morning I was on my own responsible for 60 prisoners (a whole wing) by myself (4 weeks into the job at his point btw). 1 prisoner had 9 things he needed me to sort. added to the issues of the rest of the wing it amounted to something in the region of 30 issues that I would need to spend the morning phoning about aswell as sorting out wing cleaning, visits, education etc... The all come back from trade training etc and I have managed to clear approx 25/26 issues. The 3/4 issues for other prisoners I explained to them , they were OK andwent off for lunch. The guy with 9 I had managed to sort 8 of. He went off calling me all the useless ******* screw pricks under the sun "you chunts never try **** all for us.."  You get the picture. 8 issues I sorted for that ungrateful chunt. Ungrateful childish chunts.

From the prisoner perspective, I know of several cases of rape, but nobody said anything, several cases of "catch up".. people getting a total doing because of previous behaviour, either outside or more commonly previous sentences. 

This take is maybe more from former officer side and not quite what OP was after but prison, even nowadays is not a place you want to be. Stay well out of it. 

Sounds a bit like what I saw on my visit to the Halls at Queen Margaret Uni. 

chuck berrys hairline
7 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

My old neighbour GB (Birdie) works there. He's five foot squat and weighs a bag of sugar. I'd reckon all the inmates would storm him 😂 also rumours some guards and prisoners are in tow with one another in getting contraband in 🤫

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

My old neighbour GB (Birdie) works there. He's five foot squat and weighs a bag of sugar. I'd reckon all the inmates would storm him 😂 also rumours some guards and prisoners are in tow with one another in getting contraband in 🤫

Cool story.

:cornette_dog:

3 hours ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

I think I knew him. Ginger guy? Been there since it opened? 

I know for a fact some officers were bribed/threatened to take drugs in. Two of them went to prison themselves for it. 

Also there were definate liaisons between 1 or 2 female staff and a couple of prisoners. 

Have to have a grudging nod towards some of the ingenuity involved in getting stuff in though. Sewn inside dead birds and thrown over into exercise yards. Fishing lines made from the netting from oranges and paper clips. 

If I were to ever go to prison I'd be t total instantly. You wouldn't get me drinking prison hooch, it looks and smells like sick. 🤮

Edited by muldoon74

Didn't mind it tbf.

Read a few books, lost a good bit of unrequired blubber and generally got what I deserved. 

I suppose it does make you appreciate the finer things in life afterwards for a while but you soon get used to everything as the world and technology moves on. 

All quite sad really, broken men and mentally challenged probably shouldn't be in lock up but, ach, life goes on.

Done a few minor holidays back in the early 90’s, 

remands in Saughton and Longriggend , and   a few stints in Polmont and Glenochil. 

holiday camps back then. ( doubt that’s changed) 

plenty weekends in St Leonard’s, bank holidays ones where nippy, loads of sleep though.    

Edited by swavkav

16 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Quelle surpise.

Anyway did any Sun investigative reporter go under cover as a prisoner for a few months to try it out?  Or just get the editorials to fire snowflake this and snowflake that out.

Riddley Walker

I work full time in a prison (not as a prison officer) and it's not a pretty place. Serious violence is commonplace, and although the serious assaults are usually linked to debt, folk get caught up in stuff regularly. Drugs are widespread and the most popular, "legal", which is spice and acetone sprayed onto paper, is one of the dirtiest, mind-messing and addictive drugs kicking about. 

A good majority of the guys inside suffer mental health issues and/or addiction problems. A huge chunk of them grew up in bad households in the poorest parts of the country.

It looks absolute shite tbh. Locked on a wing with 60 other guys as neighbours who have committed every crime you can think of is a horrible way to live. Says a lot for our material-focused society that folk think having a TV in your cell means you are living in a holiday camp.

Most people have, at some point in their life, been in a situation that could have landed them in prison. Whether that was getting in a fight, drugs, driving related etc. 

Have to say I've had some of the best laughs of my life with groups of prisoners in there, I do love the job.

Retired last year after 36 years as a prison officer at HMP EDINBURGH, seen it done it. Prison Officers should be respected 

On 07/10/2019 at 22:39, muldoon74 said:

On 07/10/2019 at 22:39, muldoon74 said:

3 hours ago, jamborich said:

Retired last year after 36 years as a prison officer at HMP EDINBURGH, seen it done it. Prison Officers should be respected 

Absolutely. Worked at Shotts before I joined the police. An absolute zoo of a place with definitely some of Scotland's worst shite. Made the police interview easy though. ' So tell me about a time you've dealt with an angry man'......😆......every single day mate....sorry Superintendent. REAL waaarders will always have my utmost respect. A thankless job that remains largely hidden. Never portrayed well in fictional TV dramas.

On 06/10/2019 at 15:50, IronJambo said:

You play playstation all day long and get bummed all night long. It's barry

Except when it's Dave.

22 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Except when it's Dave.

What Dave the channel or Dave your cellmate/ life partner who will be bumming you?

11 hours ago, jamborich said:

Respect bud for taking the job on but why just 2 years 

My wife got cancer so I (with Sodexos blessing) was off to look after her and take her for treatment. Five days a week Livi to the western. 

They asked if there was anything they could do etc so I said it would be a great help when I returned to be able to go onto permanent nightshift for a couple of months as we did not know what t was going to happen (survive or die basically). This would not be a problem. 

Fast fwd to me going back and no you can't do permanent nightshift as "we r not comfort ble with you bring responsible for so many prisoners on your own after such a long time off"... They also didn't pay me for three months. 

Fast fwd to after 3 weeks of filing and admin and refresher courses in first aid and cnr and I'm put into the woodwork shop supervising 50/60 prisoners with chisels on my own! 😂 You gotta laugh... 

My attitude to prisoners also changed. I went from being quite chilled and empathetic to thinking of thrm as a bunch of waster *******s. My wife nearly died and these wankers were complaining about the simplest and most childesh of things. 

I was good at the job but just wasn't for me after that. 

On 08/10/2019 at 14:44, DETTY29 said:

Quelle surpise.

Anyway did any Sun investigative reporter go under cover as a prisoner for a few months to try it out?  Or just get the editorials to fire snowflake this and snowflake that out.

There was a lot of press pre opening with pictures of the prettier female officers standing on landings etc and certain papers did and still do trot out the luxury en suite line. 

1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

do prisoners get in trouble if they masterbate?

Depends who they do it to and if they ask permission from them first. 

Cory McNamara
On 06/10/2019 at 20:48, Tynieman said:

Haha, I've spent time in the cells during my early years, trust me that was enough for me! I'd be in the pin up boy in the pokey with these looks! 

So, have you collected all available data, officer?

Police is not about the looks; police is not even a work it's a journey.

We have the whole police squad here.

1 hour ago, Cory McNamara said:

So, have you collected all available data, officer?

Police is not about the looks; police is not even a work it's a journey.

We have the whole police squad here.

... Weird post

Cory McNamara
14 minutes ago, Tynieman said:

... Weird post

Just joking around. A lot of interesting posts, did not expect some things.

On 07/10/2019 at 14:58, XB52 said:

Same here, spent a weekend in the high street cells after a Hearts game. Don't think they had been updated since medieval times. Kirkcaldy jail and Newcastle too but nothing beats Saudi Arabia. Two nights in jail there really sobers you up.

Couple of hours in Aberdeen nick with two busloads from the pivot too

Can’t believe nobody has asked so I will!

What was the Saudi jail like? In Riyadh I assume?

25 minutes ago, Jason Dufner said:

Can’t believe nobody has asked so I will!

What was the Saudi jail like? In Riyadh I assume?

Al Jubail. 12 guys lying side by side on the floor with cockroaches crawling over you. No food unless your friends brought it in. Worst 36 hours of my life, God knows how some of the guys felt that had been there for weeks. Made sure I kept my nose clean afterwards

All prisons are different in different ways, 

To survive you have to have a jail mentality, act hard and no one will mess, but if they see through that, you will get treated like s#!t. (Bullied) It's 24/7 theres no getting away from it... lots of guys with mental health issues... 

Some folk say prison is a holiday camp... your life would have to be utter horrendous to want to go to, or back to prison.. 

Shanks said no
On 10/10/2019 at 13:07, Natural Orders said:

Do you get in trouble when you masturbate?

3 hours ago, jumpship said:

All prisons are different in different ways, 

To survive you have to have a jail mentality, act hard and no one will mess, but if they see through that, you will get treated like s#!t. (Bullied) It's 24/7 theres no getting away from it... lots of guys with mental health issues... 

Some folk say prison is a holiday camp... your life would have to be utter horrendous to want to go to, or back to prison.. 

I had a cousin whom I have mentioned before, he was a veteran of the Russia and Malta convoys. If it was today he would be diagnosed with PTSD, in his day the solution was boose and he becam an alcoholic, he got into small crime to pay for his booze theft of bikes and cars.

When he got arrested and I arrested him once, the High Street station clerk phoned the CID and said Ernie is in. One of the detectives who knew him would come down buy him a fish supper and Ernie would admit to some of their unsolved crimes. He was happy to do so because it meant he would go to Saughton where the staff loved him, and treated him well, the only people who showed him any respect. Meals, a clean place to sleep, he was in heaven.

On 10/10/2019 at 13:07, Natural Orders said:

It probably depends who they masterbate.

27 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

That’s sad, on many different levels Bob. 

Is he still alive?

No he was born around the time of WW1, illegitimately. His mother later met an American soldier who told her he would marry her but he would not take her ******* son to America and she agreed to that.. My mother her sister, when the grandparents died took Ernie in as one of us. He got into theft and sold my Dad a bike for me, That didn't l;ast long before two detectives arrive took me off the bike and took it away. That finished him with the old man.

My mother still fed him and gave him money without my father knowing. Ernie moved to london and when I was stationed there I used to go to the model he was living in and give him a couple of pound.Some years later I got a letter here in Canada from my mother, Ernie had arrived at the door at 2..am  shouting and swearing and cursing my seventy year old Dad, major error on Ernies part because old Jimmy beat the living shit out of him kicked his arse down the street, and we have never heard of him since.

Just as an aside in all the years following and correspondence between his mother and my mother she never mentioned her son once.

I actually have in many ways experienced life during its rawest moments.

i

7 hours ago, XB52 said:

Al Jubail. 12 guys lying side by side on the floor with cockroaches crawling over you. No food unless your friends brought it in. Worst 36 hours of my life, God knows how some of the guys felt that had been there for weeks. Made sure I kept my nose clean afterwards

If you don't mind sharing, how on earth do you end up in a Saudi jail? 

Edited by His name is

10 hours ago, His name is said:

If you don't mind sharing, how on earth do you end up in a Saudi jail? 

Got into a fight with a guy and I had been drinking. Nothing too serious but had 2 nights before my work managed to get me out. Was a lot more careful with my drinking after that I can assure you

Riddley Walker
32 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Ummm what’s so funny?

Why are you asking such a weird question? Do you think there's a wee mini prison guard under everyone's bed ready to jump out when they're having a shank or something?

1 hour ago, Riddley Walker said:

Why are you asking such a weird question? Do you think there's a wee mini prison guard under everyone's bed ready to jump out when they're having a shank or something?

😅😅