Tynieman

I've had one or two friends serve a bit of time when younger, and they've told me a few stories but I've always wondered what prison in Scotland is like.

Any kickback member experienced prison? and if so, what was it like? 

Random Sunday question! 

Edited by Tynieman

Better call Saul

Not answering your question here but There's a documentary on the TV just now about various prisons over England and I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to be an officer it looks a bloody brutal job. 

11 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Not answering your question here but There's a documentary on the TV just now about various prisons over England and I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to be an officer it looks a bloody brutal job. 

Definitely need to have a “getting covered in body fluids(and solids)” fetish. I was asked to apply for a role in a prison, I just laughed. 

Only ever been in the cells which I did a long weekend in. Never broke the since as that was utterly shit

been here before

It was a living hell to me.

Done a bit of time back in 93 and saw them come and go and I've even seen them die. Stopped asking why long ago.

Saughton? I hated every inch of it as it cut me and scarred me through and through and at the end of it I walked out a wiser weaker man.

Despite the fact it bent my heart and mind and tried to warp my soul I was no different when I was through. Infact the 
stone walls turn still my blood a little cold.

Id just like to live long enough to see its walls fall down and for all the world to forget it ever stood.

Former prison guard took over from me when I finished my teaching probationary year. 

They asked me back after Christmas. He couldn't control his classes and chucked in the towel. Ironically the kids told me they locked him out of class a few times.

25 minutes ago, been here before said:

Done a bit of time back in 93 and saw them come and go and I've even seen them die. Stopped asking why long ago.

Saughton? I hated every inch of it as it cut me and scarred me through and through and at the end of it I walked out a wiser weaker man.

Despite the fact it bent my heart and mind and tried to warp my soul I was no different when I was through. Infact the 

Id just like to live long enough to see its walls fall down and for all the world to forget it ever stood.

Whatcha do....?

The Real Maroonblood
34 minutes ago, been here before said:

Hi Johnny!

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Done the job when I first came to Canada for six months, after the job of store floor walker this was a close second worst.,

42 minutes ago, been here before said:

Thanks for your reply.

Can I ask what made it so bad? (other than the obvious). Was it the other inmates? The screws? Or a mixture? 

The prison I worked in was a Provincial Jail, maximum senences served there two years less a day. What  was known as the West Wing was where I worked Remand prisoners waiting trial for murder, drugs robberies. Around the time I started a German guy was also hired. He told us how he had been in the Nazi Youth as a boy. He had been taught every weapon the army had could repair and drive a tank by the time he was fourteen.

One of the jobs we done was to stand in a tower and watch the inmates while they were in the yard. Herman was in the tower when a group of inmates decided to climb the fence and run. The guard was issued with a 30 30 rifle the kind you see in westerns, old Herman resorted to the old days and opened fire, nerver happened before, two of the cons literally shit themselves the others dropped and knowing who was on guard were shouting Kamerad, the rest of us were rolling on the ground laughing. The government were sued by local householders for broken windows, and damage to their homes by flying bullets, what a circus.

I apologise for drifting from the subject but it was a prison experience in my life.

Cory McNamara
2 hours ago, Tynieman said:

I've had one or two friends serve a bit of time when younger, and they've told me a few stories but I've always wondered what prison in Scotland is like.

Police officer has been detected. Survey? Study? Inspection?

Random Sunday question! 

Aha, sure.

58 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

The prison I worked in was a Provincial Jail, maximum senences served there two years less a day. What  was known as the West Wing was where I worked Remand prisoners waiting trial for murder, drugs robberies. Around the time I started a German guy was also hired. He told us how he had been in the Nazi Youth as a boy. He had been taught every weapon the army had could repair and drive a tank by the time he was fourteen.

One of the jobs we done was to stand in a tower and watch the inmates while they were in the yard. Herman was in the tower when a group of inmates decided to climb the fence and run. The guard was issued with a 30 30 rifle the kind you see in westerns, old Herman resorted to the old days and opened fire, nerver happened before, two of the cons literally shit themselves the others dropped and knowing who was on guard were shouting Kamerad, the rest of us were rolling on the ground laughing. The government were sued by local householders for broken windows, and damage to their homes by flying bullets, what a circus.

I apologise for drifting from the subject but it was a prison experience in my life.

Bob, I have to say I love reading your experiences - always interesting and you've led some life and I always enjoy when you share a bit!

28 minutes ago, Cory McNamara said:

Police officer has been detected. Survey? Study? Inspection?

Aha, sure.

Haha, I've spent time in the cells during my early years, trust me that was enough for me! I'd be in the pin up boy in the pokey with these looks! 

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

You play playstation all day long and get bummed all night long. It's barry

:rofl:

queensferryjambo
3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Don't forget the unlimited supply of drugs :fonzie:

been here before
1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Whatcha do....?

You're thinking I shot a man in Reno arent you?

But nah Im the dirty hack that shot his woman down. Pleaded wee touch of the early morning cocaine blues even hollered Lordy Lordy have mercy on me.

No good though.

Edited by been here before

Салатные палочки
43 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Stop glamourising prison!

:laugh2:

Looks a rerr time. 

5 hours ago, IronJambo said:

😂😂

SwindonJambo

30 years go I spent 1 overnight in Carlisle nick after being removed from an overnight Edinburgh-London train there for drunkenness by the BTP (I was asleep and causing no bother at all so only got a caution).

Not the clink proper but unpleasant enough to deter a repeat. Locked in A wee room with a rock hard mattress, no linen and a single open bog pan with no arse paper. Thankfully not needed.

The real thing must be awful and I have no plans to ever experience it.

SwindonJambo
4 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Worry not Bob, you've led a full life and your stories are always a good read for us (relative) young 'uns. 

Never been in the jail proper but spent a long weekend in the High Street cells. 

I’m not sure if that place is still open for business but the worst part was hearing folk through (I presume) the air ducts, all having a great time whilst I was trying to keep as far away as possible from a radge with an open stab wound. 

Would not recommend. 

1 star. 

51 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

Never been in the jail proper but spent a long weekend in the High Street cells. 

I’m not sure if that place is still open for business but the worst part was hearing folk through (I presume) the air ducts, all having a great time whilst I was trying to keep as far away as possible from a radge with an open stab wound. 

Would not recommend. 

1 star. 

There in my time was one big cell with a fireplace full of minor offenders primarily drink related. The big coal fire really caused the body odors and fouled clothing odors to become thick. Downstairs were single cells for more serious offenders, I spent two days in them with accused murderers and I was the polis. Could not be compared with my room at the Bellagio Las Vegas.

Better than watching 90 minutes at Tyney these days Amariggghhht?

Never been in and it's my worst nightmare. I'd never survive the boredom never mind the beatings etc.

Auld Reekin'
14 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

30 years go I spent 1 overnight in Carlisle nick after being removed from an overnight Edinburgh-London train there for drunkenness by the BTP (I was asleep and causing no bother at all so only got a caution).

Not the clink proper but unpleasant enough to deter a repeat. Locked in A wee room with a rock hard mattress, no linen and a single open bog pan with no arse paper. Thankfully not needed.

The real thing must be awful and I have no plans to ever experience it.

You got arrested for falling asleep on a train?  :berra:

21 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

My ex is currently serving time in HMP Bronzefield and gets through each day doing education and sits in her cell with her own phone (not mobile). She has use of the prison computers depending  on her behaviour.

I sometimes see her Dad in town, but no longer keep in touch with her.

Better call Saul
1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Times were tough in the 80s lol Thatcher was a bitch for more reasons than we know. 

16 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Would not recommend. 

1 star. 

Same here, spent a weekend in the high street cells after a Hearts game. Don't think they had been updated since medieval times. Kirkcaldy jail and Newcastle too but nothing beats Saudi Arabia. Two nights in jail there really sobers you up.

Couple of hours in Aberdeen nick with two busloads from the pivot too

Edited by XB52

Psychedelicropcircle
23 hours ago, Tynieman said:

asking For a friend 

FTFY👆🏼

4 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Maybe he was the driver.

5 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

She even put an end to people fighting on top of trains. :sad:

Very short visit to the cells in Gayfield Square police station as a teen in 1984. Got booted around it by a copper then released. Not a nice experience. 

Never made a pig noise at a passing cop since. 

Cory McNamara
20 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

rock hard mattress

with no arse paper

I can see some connection. And blame Thatcher for this. Harsh Times. Picked up, while sleeping?

On 06/10/2019 at 15:38, Tynieman said:

Random Sunday question! 

Are you awaiting a custodial sentence and curious to know what it’s like I have a relative

who is a prison officer and he says it’s very depressing the days are long and zero privacy hope this

puts your mind at ease

Back in the mid eighties I managed a bar on Dalry Road called The Auld Worthies .

Had five or six regulars who were afternoon  drinkers , then made their way to Saughton Prison for 7.30pm if memory serves . 

They were on Training For Freedom and worked in Barnardo’s furniture store on Gorgie Road . Every one of them was in for Murder, including one who murdered his own father . 

They were genuinely decent guys and never a problem. Even the local hardmen  backed off them ! 

SwindonJambo
8 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Not quite 😆

Back in those days (1989) British Rail used to run overnight seated services between Scotland and London. They stopped them a couple of years later as they became notoriously troublesome, running sleepers only afterwards. Basically people used to get bored and get pished. Anyone who ever travelled on one of those mad overnight trains will have seen it.

My train left Waverley ages late, by which time I'd sunk most of a bottle of Drambuie.  Before losing consciousness, I remember the bloke opposite, a fellow Jambo and Pompey based sailor going off for a wander, "to find some women". Next thing I knew I was being shaken by cops to wake me up and I was swiftly cuffed and led away. My guess is that there had been some bother on the train whilst asleep and when the Bill boarded at Carlisle (where it made an unscheduled stop) and saw me slumped across 2 seats with a near empty Drambuie bottle on the table, they thought they might like a word. It was all a bit ott.  I was frogmarched along the platform by a wpc and taken to the local nick in the meat wagon, where I got the standard confiscation of belt, shoelaces and pocket contents and locked in a cell. When I woke up in the morning the police said I was absolutely blootered and I was arrested for my own safety and handed a caution for 'Drunk and Incapable'.

My guess is that the Jambo sailor may have been involved in whatever bother took place and the polis noticed me in an advanced state of disrepair, when they went to get his luggage. But I was so pissed I didn't notice. I was 22, just a daft laddie.

SwindonJambo
16 minutes ago, Meadows said:

Back in the mid eighties I managed a bar on Dalry Road called The Auld Worthies .

Had five or six regulars who were afternoon  drinkers , then made their way to Saughton Prison for 7.30pm if memory serves . 

They were on Training For Freedom and worked in Barnardo’s furniture store on Gorgie Road . Every one of them was in for Murder, including one who murdered his own father . 

They were genuinely decent guys and never a problem. Even the local hardmen  backed off them ! 

The Auld Worthies is now,of course  Bensons. I have memories of it being the Balmoral in between.

A chilling thought that these guys had all wilfully ended someone's life.  

14 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Not quite 😆

Back in those days (1989) British Rail used to run overnight seated services between Scotland and London. They stopped them a couple of years later as they became notoriously troublesome, running sleepers only afterwards. Basically people used to get bored and get pished. Anyone who ever travelled on one of those mad overnight trains will have seen it.

My train left Waverley ages late, by which time I'd sunk most of a bottle of Drambuie.  Before losing consciousness, I remember the bloke opposite, a fellow Jambo and Pompey based sailor going off for a wander, "to find some women". Next thing I knew I was being shaken by cops to wake me up and I was swiftly cuffed and led away. My guess is that there had been some bother on the train whilst asleep and when the Bill boarded at Carlisle (where it made an unscheduled stop) and saw me slumped across 2 seats with a near empty Drambuie bottle on the table, they thought they might like a word. It was all a bit ott.  I was frogmarched along the platform by a wpc and taken to the local nick in the meat wagon, where I got the standard confiscation of belt, shoelaces and pocket contents and locked in a cell. When I woke up in the morning the police said I was absolutely blootered and I was arrested for my own safety and handed a caution for 'Drunk and Incapable'.

My guess is that the Jambo sailor may have been involved in whatever bother took place and the polis noticed me in an advanced state of disrepair, when they went to get his luggage. But I was so pissed I didn't notice. I was 22, just a daft laddie.

Did you ask her to violate you with her truncheon? Was that the reason for the frogmarching...

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Did you ask her to violate you with her truncheon? Was that the reason for the frogmarching...

Oddly enough, no 😀 

I could barely shape my lips to say a coherent word. Profoundly blootered.