• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Jamboelite

• vegas-voss

• Deodato

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

McGinn was never the standout in that Hibs side. McGeouch was always the better player anytime they came up against us.

that is why i am impressed with his vast improvement since moving south. He has learned to stop just sticking his arse out and falling over and actually break into the box. That is why he has scored a few goals this season

2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

McGinn was never the standout in that Hibs side. McGeouch was always the better player anytime they came up against us.

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

that is why i am impressed with his vast improvement since moving south. He has learned to stop just sticking his arse out and falling over and actually break into the box. That is why he has scored a few goals this season

Agree with both the above. I never really understood what was so special about him, but Villa must have seen a player worth moulding...and they've certainly moulded him into a better all-around midfielder.

Something about the word 'mould' works really well when talking about an ex Hibby... 

queensferryjambo

McGinn is a player who has improved and improved and good luck to him. He has proven himself over time but and has worked hard to get himself up to the player he is now. 

I see he was in the Scottish top flight team of the decade which is borderline ridiculous since he played 3 seasons at St Mirren where he was hardly noticeable and either almost got relegated then did get relegated. The next 3 seasons he really made a name for himself at Hibs but two of those seasons were in the Championship. 

According to the BBC he 'shone in the top flight across six campaigns for St Mirren, then Hibernian' when in actual fact he only ever played 4 seasons in the top flight and apart from Hibs he was unremarkable. 

Just goes to show you how little the BBC pay to facts and also how these polls and votes etc are in the 'here and now' as McGinn is clearly at the peak of his powers. 

Either way he is the real deal now but whether he is in the top flight team of the decade is very debatable.  

_110358541_fasdfsd.jpg

2 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

McGinn is a player who has improved and improved and good luck to him. He has proven himself over time but and has worked hard to get himself up to the player he is now. 

I see he was in the Scottish top flight team of the decade which is borderline ridiculous since he played 3 seasons at St Mirren where he was hardly noticeable and either almost got relegated then did get relegated. The next 3 seasons he really made a name for himself at Hibs but two of those seasons were in the Championship. 

According to the BBC he 'shone in the top flight across six campaigns for St Mirren, then Hibernian' when in actual fact he only ever played 4 seasons in the top flight and apart from Hibs he was unremarkable. 

Just goes to show you how little the BBC pay to facts and also how these polls and votes etc are in the 'here and now' as McGinn is clearly at the peak of his powers. 

Either way he is the real deal now but whether he is in the top flight team of the decade is very debatable.  

_110358541_fasdfsd.jpg

The BBC really are a bloody disgrace to any club out with the two ugly sisters. Same with sky sports.

BT Sport got it right the past couple of years and that's about it in terms of journalism/coverage of our game.

• 1 year later...
On 06/10/2019 at 01:12, Sagan said:

The fat arse is shite when he's up against the Jam Tarts. Pure shite's himself. 

Skitters running down his legs, the lot. 

The skitters really don’t do that when he plays.

Honestly, they don’t.

Ainsley Harriott

13 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Fawning over hobos now???

FFS! This place :facepalm:

With a face only a mother could love as well...

Exactly imagine giving a thread to a former Hobo/Celtic lover who plays for Villa. Pathetic 

Harry Potter
37 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Have to agree.

McGinn's a funny one.  I can see what he brings to a team who uses him well, but for me, he's a luxury.  He has zero intelligence, so you need to put up with a lot of poor decisions, poor positioning and downright bull in a china-shop type headless chicken-ness.

But the upside can be worth it - he's a very very good long passer, a good finisher and can create from nothing through sheer will of force.  He can win or turn games through his energy.

Even though he's popped in a few goals, he frustrates the hell out of me playing for Scotland.  The commentators never seem to see the poor stuff like him giving the ball away or diving in and letting his man past him with open run at our defence.

Funny, I kind of believed the hype when he was at Hibs, until one night in the pub I was making an argument for him starting for Scotland, and a sensible Hibby mate (I know, three words you don't see together often!) told me to actually take the time to watch him throughout a game and that he's vastly overrated.  He liked him, said he loves him for Hibs, but he's simply not as good as everyone says.  So I started doing that and my mate was spot on - he basically runs around a lot, gets in the mix, but he does as many bad things for the team as good!

He's a total enigma.  By the way, more than good enough for Hearts and I wish we'd signed him instead of Hibs.  Is he good enough to go above his current level?  I don't think so.  For me, Stuart Armstrong is and always has been a better player and he's found his level, you'd say.  McGinn has too - it's a good level though.

Would be remiss of me not to end this by mentioning his face.  His relationship with Chunk was heart-warming and when he used his dagger to rip down the sail of One-Eyed Willie's pirate ship to save the rest of The Goonies, you couldn't help but cheer.  Watched it with the kids the other night actually.  Forgot John was in it.

Edited by TheBigO

Ex member of the SaS

Only ever seen him play lately for the national team and he has been dug sh!t. Will never give the ugly hobbo any praise.

I hate watching him play. That bizarre running style and the arse out antics are horrible to me. Even his kicking action on short sidefoot passes is horrible. 

Single handedly changed Hibs fortunes in derbies. His record against us is pretty incredible. Boys a winner:

League Cup at St Mirren

Scottish at Hibs!!

Villa promoted

Villa challenging for Europe

Scotland in a major tournament 

That record is mental. He’s not the only reason for the last two but he’s a huge part. If Celtic signed him they’d have 10IAR in the bag already. 

Take out he supports Celtic and played for Hibs/St Mirren (3 teams I hate most) as well as his pretty deplorable grandad - he’s a good player. 

If he strikes now could easily get a big move to Tottenham or something like that. Has a lot of qualities that every football fan wants from their own players

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I hate watching him play. That bizarre running style and the arse out antics are horrible to me. Even his kicking action on short sidefoot passes is horrible. 

Absolutely but it works.

35 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Single handedly changed Hibs fortunes in derbies. His record against us is pretty incredible. Boys a winner:

League Cup at St Mirren

Scottish at Hibs!!

Villa promoted

That record is mental. He’s not the only reason for the last two but he’s a huge part. If Celtic signed him they’d have 10IAR in the bag already. 

Take out he supports Celtic and played for Hibs/St Mirren (3 teams I hate most) as well as his pretty deplorable grandad - he’s a good player. 

If he strikes now could easily get a big move to Tottenham or something like that. Has a lot of qualities that every football fan wants from their own players

Have to agree with all that.  The kind of player I wish we had.

Arsenal fans loving Tierney

Villa fans loving Mcginn

Liverpool fans loving Robertson

McTominey always a solid 7 for Man Utd

Armstrong doing well at Southamoton

The list goes on

Dare I say it......after 20 years we have players to be proud of again.

Bazzas right boot

Imo he's one of those players that isn't the best at anything but good at everything. 

A good player for a team to have, in fact a great player for a team to have. 

Too many players are good at a few things but then lack severely on something else. McGinn is very well rounded. 

Scholes was imo the best player at being this sort, he was very good at everything and seemed to glue the team together, obviously at a higher level than McGinn is currently, but imo in that regard they are similar, no real weakness and a very good team player despite really not being the best at anything. 

Thier all round game makes them stand out as they are consistently good and effective in every way, in Scholes case he was world class. 

Keane got the plaudits as the enforcer, beckam for passing and set pieces but Scholes was the better player. 

McGinn is Ofc a level or two below that, but he is improving and could go further. 

3 hours ago, R1874 said:

League Cup at St Mirren

Scottish at Hibs!!

Villa promoted

Won 4 of 9 against us, never scored, and I don’t recall him doing much damage either. Certainly no more than McGeogh in those games. 

On 03/01/2020 at 18:57, queensferryjambo said:

_110358541_fasdfsd.jpg

Wanyama played 61 games in the SPL ffs

SectionDJambo
On 03/01/2020 at 18:57, queensferryjambo said:

_110358541_fasdfsd.jpg

At least he had the courage, ambition and conviction to go and test himself in the bigger pond of English football. Unlike the media darling, Brown, who stayed with the big fishes in the wee pond to gather up cheap medals,  showing little ambition and a great fear of being found out to be a very ordinary player.

McGinn has also played in a Scottish national team that qualified for a major tournament, unlike Brown, who's absence from the team coincided with that qualification.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Won 4 of 9 against us, never scored, and I don’t recall him doing much damage either. Certainly no more than McGeogh in those games. 

Spent as much time on his fat arse as he did on his feet. He's progressed really well and looks the part now

5 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Spent as much time on his fat arse as he did on his feet. He's progressed really well and looks the part now

A fair assessment. Physically he is a different man. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

McGeogh stood out for them more in the derbies imo. 

As a Villa fan i’ve seen a fair bit of McGinn and those that dont see his qualities have the maroon glasses on.

He is the player almost every team needs in that he grafts in the midfield breaking attacks up and can go the other way with a good range of passing.

He can also score goals.

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Don't let facts get in the way of praising someone other than Hearts player. 

19 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I'm sure the doctor slapped his Maw, when he was born. 

13 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

As a Villa fan i’ve seen a fair bit of McGinn and those that dont see his qualities have the maroon glasses on.

He is the player almost every team needs in that he grafts in the midfield breaking attacks up and can go the other way with a good range of passing.

He can also score goals.

I was a little surprised seeing him push up the park at villa as he always seemed to be more defensive and do the donkey work at Hibs.

As others have said mcgeough was usually the one who stood out but he (and Allan) wouldn’t of had the time/ space to do that without him.

Fair play to Villa for identifying that part of his game and he looks a very useful box to box midfielder now. Having watched us against Tottenham and Liverpool in the past the main difference I noticed was the physicality, felt like boys against men at times. However this is something McGinn seems to have adapted to seamlessly. 

13 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

He can also score goals.

His team mates love him apparently, he's a well respected and important part of that team.

Not me though, I can't stand the wee gonad. 

Seymour M Hersh

If it wasn't for his fat arse he'd never make a tackle.  Runs weirdly as well, like a neanderthal. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh