Jack Ross sacked as Sunderland manager ( updated )

SomethingAboutObua

Must be losing my touch, said he'd be gone by the end of September at the start of the season! No thanks, Sunderland going up was a penalty kick he missed despite spending £4m on Grigg in January. They couldn't score goals and had too many boring draws, clearly his mentor taught him well... Incidentally why would anyone take Ross above Stephen Robinson?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• Jodami

• soonbe110

• sadj

A_A wehatethehibs

It’s a pass for me. Maybe a Dundee or Cowdenbeath type level for him see if he can start to rebuild his reputation like Neilson has done at DUFC. 

8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

The Sunderland job is a poisoned chalice and has been that for many good managers.

That’s just an excuse Mitch. 

VagabondJambo

Reposting what I put on the Robinson thread on Sunday:

Agree with the comments about there being plenty Danny Cowleys (or like) out there.

We need a complete change - something drastic that shocks even us on JKB.
Robinson and Holt would only be a step sideways - not upwards enough.

I think we should be bold and go for one of two types of manager.
EITHER a “rescue” hard-nosed manager - Warnock!  He would get us back on track, make best use of the good talent we have, and relegation wouldn’t be in the JKB vocabulary. (Potential extra bonus with Warnock is that we could get Patterson back!)
OR we get a young, go-ahead, on-his-way-up manager for our immediate and long-term success - Jack Ross!  I watch the Sunderland results (lost at home to Lincoln yesterday) and most weeks I feel Ross’s time there is coming to an end.  So far, he’s still in the job.

Time for Hearts to show our ambitions, and go for either of these two managers to turn our season - and our future - around before it’s too late”

43 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Must be losing my touch, said he'd be gone by the end of September at the start of the season! No thanks, Sunderland going up was a penalty kick he missed despite spending £4m on Grigg in January. They couldn't score goals and had too many boring draws, clearly his mentor taught him well... Incidentally why would anyone take Ross above Stephen Robinson?

There weren't many complaints from St Mirren and Alloa fans. I don't understand the Robinson love in. He's done well at Motherwell, but didn't have a great record at Oldham. At least Ross has had a bit of success with more than 1 team.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

There weren't many complaints from St Mirren and Alloa fans. I don't understand the Robinson love in. He's done well at Motherwell, but didn't have a great record at Oldham. At least Ross has had a bit of success with more than 1 team.

Fair point about Oldham Locky but look at how many managers they have had in the last 5 years, it's a bit of a basket case club. The attraction of Robinson for me is the positive way that Motherwell team play and how he has responded to losing key players by bringing young players through, we need a manager who is going to do that. Ross won a pretty weak Championship that year and Hartley and Goodwin have performed similar feats with Alloa.  What is it you think he would bring to the table?

26 minutes ago, VagabondJambo said:

Agree with the comments about there being plenty Danny Cowleys (or like) out there.

EITHER a “rescue” hard-nosed manager - Warnock!  He would get us back on track, make best use of the good talent we have, and relegation wouldn’t be in the JKB vocabulary. (Potential extra bonus with Warnock is that we could get Patterson back!)
OR we get a young, go-ahead, on-his-way-up manager for our immediate and long-term success - Jack Ross!  I watch the Sunderland results (lost at home to Lincoln yesterday) and most weeks I feel Ross’s time there is coming to an end.  So far, he’s still in the job.

Time for Hearts to show our ambitions, and go for either of these two managers to turn our season - and our future - around before it’s too late”

Warnock is retiring at the end of the season. If he wasn't, why would he leave Cardiff to come to us.

Gary Holt would be a joke appointment.

On Twitter (it's as serious as that) a rumour of Heckingbottom to Barnsley and Ross to Easter Road.

I'm not in the know, obviously, or I wouldn't be telling you things I noticed on Twitter.

38 minutes ago, VagabondJambo said:

Queen ann would have warnock banned for bad language

VagabondJambo
10 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Warnock is retiring at the end of the season. If he wasn't, why would he leave Cardiff to come to us.

Gary Holt would be a joke appointment.

He had said publicly he’d like to manage in Scotland, but with a team that could challenge Celtic and Rangers.  His wife is Scottish, and they have a place in Dunoon.

(Agree about Holt.)

Just now, VagabondJambo said:

He had said publicly he’d like to manage in Scotland, but with a team that could challenge Celtic and Rangers.  His wife is Scottish, and they have a place in Dunoon.

(Agree about Holt.)

I think he said (sorry, cant be bothered finding the article 🙈) that he would have liked to have done that, but this is his last season. 

Do agree with you, we need to be ambitious with our next appointment. Robbie would absolutely not do. 

Funny, the Neil McCann chat has all but disappeared!!

3 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Yes  but he is the teachers pet

Think the big test of her leadership is when he shows his arse on the telly. 

The Internet

Failing to get Sunderland out of league 1 is almost as bad as not winning the spl with celtic tbh. Right now I'd take a literal training cone over levein but Ross would be far from my first choice. 

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

One thing is for sure you don't get time to sort the club out. Levein would last 4 games and he'd be found out.

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

what was Levein’s excuse at Leicester? 🤔

33 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Fair point about Oldham Locky but look at how many managers they have had in the last 5 years, it's a bit of a basket case club. The attraction of Robinson for me is the positive way that Motherwell team play and how he has responded to losing key players by bringing young players through, we need a manager who is going to do that. Ross won a pretty weak Championship that year and Hartley and Goodwin have performed similar feats with Alloa.  What is it you think he would bring to the table?

I just think on paper, Robinson is more of a risk than Ross. Ross took over Alloa and St Mirren at times when confidence was pretty low, Alloa were doomed in the Championship and he couldn't save them but he got them fighting fit quickly and although didn't stick around to seal promotion, he no doubt built the team and gave them the tools to go up. He took over St Mirren at a time when they looked like dropping to League One, and barely 18 months later they were in the top flight again.

Robinson is in his 3rd season with Motherwell, and hasn't finished higher than 7th. Admittedly though that's probably about their level and he did get them to both finals in his first full season. They seem to be playing good football right now and are flying, but can that continue? And is that down to him or a bit of, dare I say luck, on who they've brought in.

Based on that, I think Ross would be the better appointment right now. I think Robinson would need a bit of time to get things right, and atm, that's not going to suit us. We need someone who's going to get things working from the off, even if only a short term solution. Given the recovery jobs at Alloa and Saints, I just think Ross would get us firing and give the whole team a confidence boost.

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

I just think on paper, Robinson is more of a risk than Ross. Ross took over Alloa and St Mirren at times when confidence was pretty low, Alloa were doomed in the Championship and he couldn't save them but he got them fighting fit quickly and although didn't stick around to seal promotion, he no doubt built the team and gave them the tools to go up. He took over St Mirren at a time when they looked like dropping to League One, and barely 18 months later they were in the top flight again.

Robinson is in his 3rd season with Motherwell, and hasn't finished higher than 7th. Admittedly though that's probably about their level and he did get them to both finals in his first full season. They seem to be playing good football right now and are flying, but can that continue? And is that down to him or a bit of, dare I say luck, on who they've brought in.

Based on that, I think Ross would be the better appointment right now. I think Robinson would need a bit of time to get things right, and atm, that's not going to suit us. We need someone who's going to get things working from the off, even if only a short term solution. Given the recovery jobs at Alloa and Saints, I just think Ross would get us firing and give the whole team a confidence boost.

Good points on the recovery and quick turnaround mate, that is the situation we are in. I am not an ITK person with the club but many people have hinted that a personal matter hastened his departure, would that be an issue that would affect bringing him back? Does anyone know? 

VagabondJambo
5 minutes ago, Locky said:

I agree.  Will be sick if he ends up at Hibs, and we end up with the unambitious appointment of Robinson, Holt, McCann, Pressley, or the ilk. 

2 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Good points on the recovery and quick turnaround mate, that is the situation we are in. I am not an ITK person with the club but many people have hinted that a personal matter hastened his departure, would that be an issue that would affect bringing him back? Does anyone know? 

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier in this thread. I brought it up in pub chat but the lads I were with seemed to think there was bad blood.

End of the day, it's all well and good us talking about this but knowing Hearts, even if Levein did go, it won't be Ross or Robinson. :lol: 

1 minute ago, VagabondJambo said:

I agree.  Will be sick if he ends up at Hibs, and we end up with the unambitious appointment of Robinson, Holt, McCann, Pressley, or the ilk. 

Well that's the other thing isn't it? We seem to be good at missing the boat with this sort of thing. Now that Jack Ross is a free man, clubs in Scotland will be ramping up the pressure on their managers to get it right, and Hibs are no doubt one.

Plus, if it's true about Levein and Ross having a bit of history, Hibs will be a very enticing job for him to prove a point.

All roads lead to Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Queen ann would have warnock banned for bad language

Hope she was listening to CL's recent post match interview then :smile:

Just now, Locky said:

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier in this thread. I brought it up in pub chat but the lads I were with seemed to think there was bad blood.

End of the day, it's all well and good us talking about this but knowing Hearts, even if Levein did go, it won't be Ross or Robinson. :lol: 

I know exactly what you mean mate. Sometimes it's best to look at the obvious contenders that we could attract to the club who can hopefully set us back on course. Unfortunately I can see us pulling a rabbit out the hat or far worse than that appoint someone already at the club. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Did Levein not immediately apologise for his language?

Ross made the identical mistake to Neilson. 

Too many players he knew rather than those who knew the League or club 

2 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I know exactly what you mean mate. Sometimes it's best to look at the obvious contenders that we could attract to the club who can hopefully set us back on course. Unfortunately I can see us pulling a rabbit out the hat or far worse than that appoint someone already at the club. 

Ideally, I want someone from down South. Akin to Steve Clarke at Killie. A club like us should really be putting the feelers out and use our pulling power.

Placid Casual
19 minutes ago, VagabondJambo said:

He has been an abject failure at Sunderland. Tactically inept, poor in the transfer market.

1 minute ago, Placid Casual said:

He has been an abject failure at Sunderland. Tactically inept, poor in the transfer market.

Looking like another Cathroesque type.  Signed too many players from Scotland who did not know the Championship, instead of going for experience.   As a Mag, I am quite happy at the Makems' plight.

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

On Twitter (it's as serious as that) a rumour of Heckingbottom to Barnsley and Ross to Easter Road.

I'm not in the know, obviously, or I wouldn't be telling you things I noticed on Twitter.

Wouldn’t be surprised. Depends on whether Barnsley owners and fans would forgive him for walking out to Leeds just after signing new contract. Bit similar to the Neilson at Hearts situation 

1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

I think he said (sorry, cant be bothered finding the article 🙈) that he would have liked to have done that, but this is his last season. 

Do agree with you, we need to be ambitious with our next appointment. Robbie would absolutely not do. 

Funny, the Neil McCann chat has all but disappeared!!

Was never the hint of truth in the rumours - from the man himself. 

35 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Absolutely it would whilst current owner is still involved. 

Too big a job for him to have taken on that early in his career imo.Probably got amazing pay for it so who can blame him.Also he will get a job back up here no problem.

24 minutes ago, Locky said:

Ideally, I want someone from down South. Akin to Steve Clarke at Killie. A club like us should really be putting the feelers out and use our pulling power.

I can see the kind of candidate you are looking at, decent experience down south, managed at Championship level maybe. My one fear with that is we can't afford the quality of player they are used to and they have no experience in scouting on our wage structure. 

I'd rather have Cathro back.  With all the available resources at Sunderland, this guy has failed miserably.

15 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Absolutely it would whilst current owner is still involved. 

Cheers mate, thanks for confirming that. 

Is this the way out of the current mess Budge desperately needs? 

Ross in. Levein back upstairs. Cross fingers and hope to feck results pick up?

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Why would you want Ross after failing at Sunderland with the resources available?

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Did Levein not immediately apologise for his language?

👌🏻Agreed

45 minutes ago, Placid Casual said:

👌🏻Agreed

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Why would you want Ross after failing at Sunderland with the resources available?

👌🏻Agreed

👌🏻Agreed

Young manager who's made mistakes in his first spell down south. Will be looking for a gig back up here where he's respected and knows more about the game. As mentioned, he could do a McInnes and bring success, at least for our standards.

There's a load of reasons why it maybe didn't work at Sunderland. I'd say it's as much to do with them being a shithouse club as it is to do with Ross' ability as a manager. As mentioned, he was 90 minutes away from promotion. Kenny Jackett has made just as much of a tit of Portsmouth and he's far more experienced.

29 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'd rather have Cathro back.  With all the available resources at Sunderland, this guy has failed miserably.

I genuinely wonder if Cathro would have done better if we'd have persevered with him, it's got that bad...

5 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I genuinely wonder if Cathro would have done better if we'd have persevered with him, it's got that bad...

No. he was completely out of his depth  You could tell he couldn't believe he was there, jousting with luminaries like Lennon, and the crumpled jaicket look - look, I'm a bit different, yeah? - was too cringey. Even the most broadminded player would struggle with Cathro as the head coach. He's better in the background.

Edited by Riccarton3

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Yeah 

Surprised me. Cost him. 

Edited by Mikey1874