Jack Ross sacked as Sunderland manager ( updated )

SomethingAboutObua

This place is mind boggling. The Sunderland manager gets sacked and, within a couple of posts, it's yet another Levein out thread. Absolutely pathetic

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• Jodami

• soonbe110

• sadj

35 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is this the way out of the current mess Budge desperately needs? 

Ross in. Levein back upstairs. Cross fingers and hope to feck results pick up?

Wouldn’t think so. 

The Internet
12 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I genuinely wonder if Cathro would have done better if we'd have persevered with him, it's got that bad...

Definitely worth thinking about. No doubt we were going backwards under Cathro but if he'd had Levein's time would he have turned it round? Maybe not but given how things have worked out it couldn't have been much worse. 

If Ross was kicked out for misconduct he won't be coming back to Hearts. 

He also expressed unhappiness at Hearts in interviews. 

He will get a job. 

Shooter McGavin

We could probably get better but I’d honestly be happy to have Jack Ross as our manager right now.

Maybe thats just because I’m in the anyone but Craig f****** Levein camp at the moment. 

27 minutes ago, Locky said:

Young manager who's made mistakes in his first spell down south. Will be looking for a gig back up here where he's respected and knows more about the game. As mentioned, he could do a McInnes and bring success, at least for our standards.

There's a load of reasons why it maybe didn't work at Sunderland. I'd say it's as much to do with them being a shithouse club as it is to do with Ross' ability as a manager. As mentioned, he was 90 minutes away from promotion. Kenny Jackett has made just as much of a tit of Portsmouth and he's far more experienced.

How are they a shithouse club? 

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Probably means the way they've been run given they are in the 3rd tier. 

Overall, a wonderful club with amazing fans

8 minutes ago, sadj said:

As Riccarton3 mentioned, I meant that in terms of how they've been run. They were a mess and I think this new owner has just papered over the cracks. Recruitment wasn't great, but I wonder how much better even some of the most experienced managers at that level would've done.

21 minutes ago, Locky said:

As Riccarton3 mentioned, I meant that in terms of how they've been run. They were a mess and I think this new owner has just papered over the cracks. Recruitment wasn't great, but I wonder how much better even some of the most experienced managers at that level would've done.

You are right. 

Will take a bit long to get contracts more in line with where they are. 

Will take time and another season down isn't a disaster. But They should be getting a manager for long term. 

Edited by Mikey1874

17 minutes ago, Locky said:

23 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Probably means the way they've been run given they are in the 3rd tier. 

Overall, a wonderful club with amazing fans

My take on the owner (based on papertalk and a few mackem supporters im close with) is basically his own fault is not being richie rich rich so he cant finance them punching above their weight but hes stabilised the club , invested and it was the players and coaching staff that let them down last year. 

Edited by sadj

2 hours ago, Placid Casual said:

He has been an abject failure at Sunderland. Tactically inept, poor in the transfer market.

much the same as Levein at Leicester then!

Know a St Mirren ST holder, and they were very disappointed when he left them. He had them playing a very attacking game, which the fans really liked (was also successful, which greatly helps where fans are concerned). Why wouldn't we want to consider a manager who has a record of playing attacking football and a reasonable degree of success? Not saying he should necessarily get the manager's job at Hearts (there isn't a vacancy as far as we know), but it's not ridiculous to see him as a serious candidate if we are looking to bring someone in.

Because he was with us before and worked with Levein, I could see Anne getting away (by the supporters) with moving Levein back to Director of Football and bringing Ross in as manager.

That won't be so easy the longer Levein remains manager and if we then try and replace him with a manager from outwith the clubs existing coaching structure. 

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, tynewater said:

Know a St Mirren ST holder, and they were very disappointed when he left them. He had them playing a very attacking game, which the fans really liked (was also successful, which greatly helps where fans are concerned). Why wouldn't we want to consider a manager who has a record of playing attacking football and a reasonable degree of success? Not saying he should necessarily get the manager's job at Hearts (there isn't a vacancy as far as we know), but it's not ridiculous to see him as a serious candidate if we are looking to bring someone in.

That was in the championship with st mirren. Neilson had us playing very attacking football and scoring for fun. He also had us scoring a lot and doing well in the top

league. If Ross is a candidate, Neilson has to be an even better and leas riskier one, given he has managed at this level in Scotland.

Hibs? If they bin Heckingbottom could be an excellent choice. 

Shame there appears to be some cloud no one can talk about blocking any return. 

59 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That was in the championship with st mirren. Neilson had us playing very attacking football and scoring for fun. He also had us scoring a lot and doing well in the top

league. If Ross is a candidate, Neilson has to be an even better and leas riskier one, given he has managed at this level in Scotland.

Neilson has his chance and walked away. Since then he has done **** all. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Neilson has his chance and walked away. Since then he has done **** all. 

I get you don’t like Neilson but you could say the same for Ross at st

mirren.

On 06/10/2019 at 03:57, Kiwidoug said:

I don't think AB will make a judgment on Levein until he has most of his squad available.

Who knows when that will be?

Another wasted season. Where's the ambitious young managers we were promised along with the five year plan....?

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Another wasted season. Where's the ambitious young managers we were promised along with the five year plan....?

Good question. One thing's for sure, if we've learned anything the last 5 years it's that a rookie in his first season has as much chance of doing well as a guy with years of international and other management experience. I don't envy anyone choosing our next one. Hibs went through about 10 before finding Lennon and to a lesser extent Stubbs. Rangers went through about 5 before Gerrard. Aberdeen went through god knows how many before McInnes. Total lottery.

I think in the last 15 years, we've had the full range of managers. Young and upcoming (Burley, Rix), rookies (Cathro, Locke, Neilson), ancient throwbacks (Malofeev), foreigners (Laslo, Sergio, Valdas) club legends (JJ, Levein, Robbo), caretakers (Pressley, McGlynn, Frail, Daly). There is no magic formula that's for sure.

Edited by ToqueJambo

On 06/10/2019 at 06:47, Famous 1874 said:

Utter shite at Sunderland and would want him nowhere near us.

We can do far better. 

He’d be good for Hibs😂

SomethingAboutObua

No ones mentioning them but I can see him going to Dundee honestly. McPake's been pretty crap and Ross is basically what Dundee were looking for on their much publicised list before they weirdly appointed McPake, who matched about 2/100 of their criteria. 

I think the owners will look at whats happening at Tannadice, look at where they are and I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer a good amount of money to him. And would give Ross a chance back here at a reasonable sized club in Scotland with not much pressure. 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Good question. One thing's for sure, if we've learned anything the last 5 years it's that a rookie in his first season has as much chance of doing well as a guy with years of international and other management experience. I don't envy anyone choosing our next one. Hibs went through about 10 before finding Lennon and to a lesser extent Stubbs. Rangers went through about 5 before Gerrard. Aberdeen went through god knows how many before McInnes. Total lottery.

I think in the last 15 years, we've had the full range of managers. Young and upcoming (Burley, Rix), rookies (Cathro, Locke, Neilson), ancient throwbacks (Malofeev), foreigners (Laslo, Sergio, Valdas) club legends (JJ, Levein, Robbo), caretakers (Pressley, McGlynn, Frail, Daly). There is no magic formula that's for sure.

Honestly don"t think we can do worse than Levein. Also think we'll get behind the next manager through pure relief that Levein has gone. Only question is when...

The Real Maroonblood
14 hours ago, XB52 said:

This place is mind boggling. The Sunderland manager gets sacked and, within a couple of posts, it's yet another Levein out thread. Absolutely pathetic

It’s inevitable if people are discussing him as a replacement for Levein.

While they were clearly hoping for promotion last season, Sunderland have only actually lost 7 out of 57 league games last season and this season. 

In comparison we’ve lost 7 from our last 11 league games. 

Clearly we can discuss the relative levels of opposition on League 1 and the SPFL until the cows come home but the bottom line is that Hearts and Sunderland will both expect to win more games than they lose but only one was managing that - and it wasn’t us!!

Sticking with Levein over the last 10 months and expecting things to change reminds me of the quote (mis?) attributed to Einstein about doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result.

Jack Ross may not be the answer to our problems - but equally it has been proven time and again that neither is Craig Levein. 

Edited by skinnybob72

Jesus this place is mental at times. People clambering for Jack Ross to be our next manager. The guy failed at Sunderland and that was just about impossible to do given the budget and crap teams he was up against.