Callum Paterson. how's he doing?

upgotheheads

upgotheheads

I had a look at the Cardiff City website and noticed that CP was an unused sub for their last game 

Has anybody been keeping tabs on our Golden Boy over the last ew months?

A_A wehatethehibs

Good player but never a right back, think that’ll define his career. Those years we had him he should have been playing up front throughout or possibly RM. A boy has an eye for goal but can’t defend that well positionally, so let’s play him sitting back in his own half at RB. Criminal. Should always have played higher up near the danger area. But he still got amongst the goals, good for him, that’s why Neil Warnock picked him up on the cheap the right manager at the right time, quickly identified he was no RB then he did enough in the Prem to get his big contract extension at Cardiff. He can bank his 7 figure sum over the next couple of years then get back up the road to proper football with Hearts, play up front for us he’ll probably get 20 goals. Who needs right backs when you’ve got a player with an eye for goal

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good player but never a right back, think that’ll define his career. Those years we had him he should have been playing up front throughout or possibly RM. A boy has an eye for goal but can’t defend that well positionally, so let’s play him sitting back in his own half at RB. Criminal. Should always have played higher up near the danger area. But he still got amongst the goals, good for him, that’s why Neil Warnock picked him up on the cheap the right manager at the right time, quickly identified he was no RB then he did enough in the Prem to get his big contract extension at Cardiff. He can bank his 7 figure sum over the next couple of years then get back up the road to proper football with Hearts, play up front for us he’ll probably get 20 goals. Who needs right backs when you’ve got a player with an eye for goal

For some weird reason he seemed to score more goals for us from the right back position

6 minutes ago, ceefax said:

He was injured at the end of last season, not sure when he’s due back.

He is back playing and has featured in the league this season as follows:

Starting eleven: 3 Appearances (Substituted in: 2)

On the bench: 1

1 Yellow card.  No goals

Seem to recall McGlynn getting Peters for playing him right mid or No 10. Could have been Locke though.

But then my memory may not be 100% on this.

My memories of him are raw talent, very athletic, but not exactly suited to any one specific position. And maybe he was just the best option we had for right back. He has definitely filled out and developed the footballing side of his game when I saw him last year.

A_A wehatethehibs
27 minutes ago, benny said:

For some weird reason he seemed to score more goals for us from the right back position

His best season for goals was actually 13/14 when we got relegated, he played 21 games up front 9 at RB, 8 at RM 

When we went down to the championship he pushed Robbie Neilson saying “I want to be a RB” but I always felt defensive side was not his strong suit. Eg when he got frustrated at being told to stay back - sometimes you need full backs to stay back, for example to cover counter attacks exposing slow CBs. Like right now Smith is sticking close to Berra at all times. But Paterson just wanted to get forward all the time. Even attacking full backs need to know when to go forward and when to stay back. I never felt Paterson had that nose for danger or positional awareness. 

First thing Warnock said was the boy is not a defender 

The Apprentice
20 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'll be amazed if we get a penny from his sell on clause.

It doesn't look likely at the moment given he's had a bad injury recently but with Cardiff struggling its possible he could do enough to earn a move elsewhere. Bang average players in the Championship can still easily fetch a few million moving between clubs.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Seems to be out of favour. 

Personally feel that we miss him an awful lot. What he lacks defensively he made up in passion and enthusiasm.  Not to mention goals. Alas, doubt we will see him return 

Dallas Green
1 hour ago, JamboAndrew said:

Seem to recall McGlynn getting Peters for playing him right mid or No 10. Could have been Locke though.

But then my memory may not be 100% on this.

My memories of him are raw talent, very athletic, but not exactly suited to any one specific position. And maybe he was just the best option we had for right back. He has definitely filled out and developed the footballing side of his game when I saw him last year.

I think McGlynn played Ryan McGowan an an attacking midfield role too, might have been for only a game or two though.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

His best season for goals was actually 13/14 when we got relegated, he played 21 games up front 9 at RB, 8 at RM 

When we went down to the championship he pushed Robbie Neilson saying “I want to be a RB” but I always felt defensive side was not his strong suit. Eg when he got frustrated at being told to stay back - sometimes you need full backs to stay back, for example to cover counter attacks exposing slow CBs. Like right now Smith is sticking close to Berra at all times. But Paterson just wanted to get forward all the time. Even attacking full backs need to know when to go forward and when to stay back. I never felt Paterson had that nose for danger or positional awareness. 

First thing Warnock said was the boy is not a defender 

It was Locke and Brown he told that he wanted to play RB. None of his coaches managed to teach him how to defend. Somebody needs to find a position for him and coach him properly how to play it. Right midfield would be my choice, he can do everything needed to play there and learn to perfect it.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

I think McGlynn played Ryan McGowan an an attacking midfield role too, might have been for only a game or two though.

The idea was to play him number ten to press from the front, not a bad idea but it didn’t work. He did eventually against Liverpool put Paterson wide right from RB and McGowan behind him to look after some young upstart called Sterling, not sure what happened to him 😜?

Dallas Green
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

The idea was to play him number ten to press from the front, not a bad idea but it didn’t work. He did eventually against Liverpool put Paterson wide right from RB and McGowan behind him to look after some young upstart called Sterling, not sure what happened to him 😜?

Think he eventually found his way out of McGowan's back pocket 😂

Apparently Cardiff now have 2-3 decent players who can play the 10 role Paterson had been occupying. Pushing him down the pecking order. 

But with the amount of games they play in the championship I suspect he will still get used.

Worth keeping an eye on though if I was at Hearts. Could be a loan opportunity somewhere in the future.

I think his problem is he has no defined position. He has to work on a position where he can apply his strengths - I'm not sure what that is. He's not mobile enough or has the instinct to play up front, touch isn't good enough for midfield and his defending isn't good enough to play at the back.

He's an ideal player to have on the bench and that might remain the case til he sorts himself out.

3 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I think his problem is he has no defined position. He has to work on a position where he can apply his strengths - I'm not sure what that is. He's not mobile enough or has the instinct to play up front, touch isn't good enough for midfield and his defending isn't good enough to play at the back.

He's an ideal player to have on the bench and that might remain the case til he sorts himself out.

Would disagree about him not being mobile. He is the most athletic player I've seen at Tynecastle for a long time. Power and pace in abundance.

Hungry hippo

I know Warnock disagrees but I think his best position is still RB. Could improve defensively but hardly ever got skinned and offers loads from that position. 

As a number 10 hus technical ability is very limited compared to other players in that role.

10 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Utility man

3 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I know Warnock disagrees but I think his best position is still RB. Could improve defensively but hardly ever got skinned and offers loads from that position. 

As a number 10 hus technical ability is very limited compared to other players in that role.

At RB, even if he gets caught positionally his recovery pace and strength gets him out of bother a lot.

Don't think he's ever played at RB for Cardiff, if so it's 1 or 2, that's because he can't defend, a widely acknowledged fact.

He was signed by Cardiff injured and has been unfortunalty injured off and on since he went there. The injuries are all that's keeping him back as every time I've seen him he's looked decent and coped in the EPL no problem.

Maybe played to much football at a young age or cursed by Levein, who knows.

I was never convinced he'd make it in the Premiership, I don't think technical or tactically he's good enough. He's athletic and has an excellent work ethic, something Championship teams like. If he leaves Cardiff, which at the end of the season when Warnock retires is likely, I think he'll move to another Championship team. Would love to gave him back, but cant see it.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Whatever the arguments for or against, I'd take him back right now.

There be absolutely no argue against that. 

How long is his contract left with Cardiff?  Got a feeling he might be moved on when Warnock retires in the summer. 

3 hours ago, JamboAndrew said:

Was that not the Ryan McGowan in the #10 role era?

1 hour ago, Flaps_98 said:

Would disagree about him not being mobile. He is the most athletic player I've seen at Tynecastle for a long time. Power and pace in abundance.

I agree with power but I think he would need to be a bit more nimble up front. But ultimately, I think that's the area where he will end up playing, as a target man.

2 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

That definitely rings a bell

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Well he sure as hell won’t be getting that £15m to a Premier League team a few suggested he would.

Could still happen but as some have said he needs to nail down a position that he plays week in week out. Then he can go on to the next level.

He's decent in the 10 role and wide right but I think he could get a bigger move if he can nail down that centre forward role. He's a good target man, you get the ball in the box chances are his head will be the one connecting with it.

John Findlay
5 hours ago, luckydug said:

Couldn't have been that bad at RB got picked for Scotland.

in this day and age that doesn't say a lot. For an alleged RB. The weakest part of his game was defending. He's excellent in the air but his tackling leaves a lot to be desired.

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, SpikeDudley said:

Was that not the Ryan McGowan in the #10 role era?

I seem to remember Ryan McGowan being deployed in that position when we were struggling in a game away to Motherwell (actually could be against Gretna when they played their games at Fir Park), nearly scored too if my memory serves me correct! I thought he was actually quiet decent there albeit I only saw him play that role in the one game.

Edited by will-i-am-a-jambo

6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'll be amazed if we get a penny from his sell on clause.

Be amazed if we don't 😋

Easing into the new season imo after a long play off.  No reason to think he won't excel.

Do worry that he's injury prone.  Real shame.

Levein's fault 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Could still happen but as some have said he needs to nail down a position that he plays week in week out. Then he can go on to the next level.

He's decent in the 10 role and wide right but I think he could get a bigger move if he can nail down that centre forward role. He's a good target man, you get the ball in the box chances are his head will be the one connecting with it.

Exactly, £15m isn't that much money down south. Paterson can play pretty much anywhere competently. I think for a club like Villa or Newcastle he could be an excellent investment. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Is coming back from a five month injury lay off so is getting eased back into the team. Is a very popular player amongst the Cardiff supporters (attitude, goals, celebrations etcl. 

Will play a pivotal role in Cardiff's promotion push this season. Have started slowly but a lot of key players like Dr Funk just returning from injury. 

Not sure about the EPL but would have plenty championship clubs in for him if he became available (keep an eye out for Warnock retiring from English football shortly). 

Will be interesting to see how things go vs QPR (Lee Wallace etc) tonight. 

Edited by Glamorgan Jambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
50 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Is coming back from a five month injury lay off so is getting eased back into the team. Is a very popular player amongst the Cardiff supporters (attitude, goals, celebrations etcl. 

Will play a pivotal role in Cardiff's promotion push this season. Have started slowly but a lot of key players like Dr Funk just returning from injury. 

Not sure about the EPL but would have plenty championship clubs in for him if he became available (keep an eye out for Warnock retiring from English football shortly). 

Will be interesting to see how things go vs QPR (Lee Wallace etc) tonight. 

What about retirement from Welsh football?

Kelly in goals and Ball in midfield for QPR 

The Goalscoring Knee
Posted at66'

Foul by Callum Paterson (Cardiff City).

Substitution

Posted at65'

Substitution, Cardiff City. Callum Paterson replaces Lee Tomlin.

The Goalscoring Knee
Posted at72'

Goal! Cardiff City 3, Queens Park Rangers 0. Callum Paterson (Cardiff City) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the top right corner. Assisted by Leandro Bacuna with a cross.

Knows how to make an impact

Edited by The Goalscoring Knee