Injuries

Haringshairband

Haringshairband

How ridiculous is this getting? It's so frustrating. What can be done by the coaches in training to help minimise the injuries in future?

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• JamboAl

• thewiseone

• Unknown user

6 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

How ridiculous is this getting? It's so frustrating. What can be done by the coaches in training to help minimise the injuries in future?

Depends you need to look at the gym work , technique , loads , fitness work and loads , training loads , stretching and warming up , cool downs. Could be the minutest of things in there or just bad luck. Getting silly now though 

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Seems to me anyway that they don't do enough work on muscles, stretching, strengthening etc. Something amiss there.

What do you mean? 

Jambo, Goodbye

Souttar - rolled his ankle - bad luck

Halkett - a challenge today? - bad luck? 

Garrucio - honestly can't remember

Walker - goal saving challenge - bad luck

Damour - hamstring during match

Naismith - hamstring during match?

Washington - hamstring during match

Wighton - knee injury in training? 

Left out white as he's on the bench. 

Left out Haring because he's back running and is just building up fitness I presume. 

9 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Left out Haring because he's back running and is just building up fitness I presume. 

Wighton was injured in a tackle in the opening minutes of the Angus Beith Benefit Match in preseason.

Jambo, Goodbye
8 minutes ago, SevenTay said:

Wighton was injured in a tackle in the opening minutes of the Angus Beith Benefit Match in preseason.

4/8 injuries are supposedly bad luck then 

58 minutes ago, sadj said:

Depends you need to look at the gym work , technique , loads , fitness work and loads , training loads , stretching and warming up , cool downs. Could be the minutest of things in there or just bad luck. Getting silly now though 

Its not that. I’ve seen Souttar in the gym. His stretching was nearly longer than my whole “workout”. :lol: 

45 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I agree about "contact" injuries but , without being an expert, hamstring injuries are surely avoidable. At the risk of sounding like Uncle Albert, during the 80s and 90s, the same players played week in, week out, put in a shift and could go an entire season without suffering an injury. I appreciate that the game has changed but finely tuning players like racehorses surely is counter productive. Every game a player misses is a cost to the club, you need bigger squads, the wage bill goes up etc etc. Fundamentally,  there must be something wrong with the preparation or training for a club to suffer so many "hammy" problems.  Not just with us but with any club.

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I agree about "contact" injuries but , without being an expert, hamstring injuries are surely avoidable. At the risk of sounding like Uncle Albert, during the 80s and 90s, the same players played week in, week out, put in a shift and could go an entire season without suffering an injury. I appreciate that the game has changed but finely tuning players like racehorses surely is counter productive. Every game a player misses is a cost to the club, you need bigger squads, the wage bill goes up etc etc. Fundamentally,  there must be something wrong with the preparation or training for a club to suffer so many "hammy" problems.  Not just with us but with any club.

Not sure players are as willing to take painkilling injections as they were 20-30 years ago. 

Just now, Spellczech said:

Not sure players are as willing to take painkilling injections as they were 20-30 years ago. 

I don't honestly think players took painkillers to play through hamstring injuries. The odd one, like Allan McGraw , suffered in later life but that wasn't through a hammy injury. They just weren't as common back then. 

This week you can sort of see why some players are struggling.

3 games in a week. 

A derby with Hibs. 120 minutes against Aberdeen. 

Then today we have to try and break down a very awkward team who can't score goals so focus on not conceding.

It's been a brutal week really and 2 wins and a draw is pretty good going. 

Haringshairband
1 minute ago, Bauld said:

This week you can sort of see why some players are struggling.

3 games in a week. 

A derby with Hibs. 120 minutes against Aberdeen. 

Then today we have to try and break down a very awkward team who can't score goals so focus on not conceding.

It's been a brutal week really and 2 wins and a draw is pretty good going. 

Agree with all of this.

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I don't honestly think players took painkillers to play through hamstring injuries. The odd one, like Allan McGraw , suffered in later life but that wasn't through a hammy injury. They just weren't as common back then. 

Indeed, knee particularly and ankles to a lesser degree - painkilling and anti-inflammatories...It may be my imagination but I remember footballers in the 80s and 90s having much stockier legs than they do nowadays...Remember Pospicil, he had legs like my wife's!

Edited by Spellczech

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Seems to me anyway that they don't do enough work on muscles, stretching, strengthening etc. Something amiss there.

Based on what? 

1 minute ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

We have a particularly injury prone squad and that’s a fact. 

even players who have no record of injury, are picking up injuries.. unreal

16 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The typical distance covered in matches by players has more than doubled from the 80s 5k to over 12k. It’s also a faster game than 80s and 90s.

Players bodies are more stressed now than previously. Although if we have more injuries than other teams there might be an issue with training.

4 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

The typical distance covered in matches by players has more than doubled from the 80s 5k to over 12k. It’s also a faster game than 80s and 90s.

Players bodies are more stressed now than previously. Although if we have more injuries than other teams there might be an issue with training.

But is it any more effective? Why have fitter players that are technically poorer and constantly injured. 

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

But is it any more effective? Why have fitter players that are technically poorer and constantly injured. 

If everyone else is fitter and our players are 80s / 90s fit, we would get hammered every game.

The majority of injuries have happened during games.

I think only Ben Garuccio’s injury happened in training and big Pete’s was a hernia from something wrong with his hip, which is something that unfortunately just happens.

This is just brutal luck or some prick with a voodoo doll. 🤷🏼‍♂️

53 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Its not that. I’ve seen Souttar in the gym. His stretching was nearly longer than my whole “workout”. :lol: 

😂😂 I could believe that , without knowing what the training regime is weights , stretching , warming up cooling down and loads on the individuals bodies its impossible to guess but as I said id start by scrutinising the sports scientists input and training regimes for each player. 

2 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

They can ask the other team to stop kicking us. 

10 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

The majority of injuries have happened during games.

I think only Ben Garuccio’s injury happened in training and big Pete’s was a hernia from something wrong with his hip, which is something that unfortunately just happens.

This is just brutal luck or some prick with a voodoo doll. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Or the training isn’t right. The physical conditioning of the body, the warm downs, the rest and recuperation, the nutrition. Something in there is wrong. The players are pulling muscles which suggests the training isn’t intense enough or demanding enough. Contact injuries are a different kettle of fish, muscle tears and pulls are signs that the body isn’t fit enough. Something is wrong somewhere. 

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

Or the training isn’t right. The physical conditioning of the body, the warm downs, the rest and recuperation, the nutrition. Something in there is wrong. The players are pulling muscles which suggests the training isn’t intense enough or demanding enough. Contact injuries are a different kettle of fish, muscle tears and pulls are signs that the body isn’t fit enough. Something is wrong somewhere. 

Muscle tears and pulls can also just be over stretching or stretching in an unnatural way/direction. They also occur when a player hasn’t played for a long period and the muscle hasn’t recovered its elasticity eg Damour has been feeling his hammy every game due to not playing much over previous 15 months. I’m sure they have been working on it however the only way it really gets back to full strength is by working it in games. 

2 hours ago, Haringshairband said:

This is just not right there is something that needs to change 

No way this is just bad luck what are we doing to them in training warmups etc !! 

Hopefully the fringe players see the positive side and grasp the opportunity of game time. Show the gaffer what they can do.

step up Clevid. Plus one of the kids to take his place on the bench.

Big Slim Stylee
13 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I remember a similar thing at Arsenal a few years back when they had a  terrible run of injuries.

The internet was full of Arsenal fans just like you who didn’t have a scooby masquerading as medical experts.

Anyway how’s the war going?

8 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

This is just not right there is something that needs to change 

No way this is just bad luck what are we doing to them in training warmups etc !! 

What do you do in training to avoid players getting kicked by the opposition? 

8 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Hopefully the fringe players see the positive side and grasp the opportunity of game time. Show the gaffer what they can do.

step up Clevid. Plus one of the kids to take his place on the bench.

Where was Clevid today when he was needed? 

Just now, Big Slim Stylee said:

I remember a similar thing at Arsenal a few years back when they had a  terrible run of injuries.

The internet was full of Arsenal fans just like you who didn’t have a scooby masquerading as medical experts.

Anyway how’s the war going?

Who’s masquerading as a medical expert? I just said it has to be something to do with what we are doing either at training or recovery. You continue to believe that it’s just purely “bad luck”. 

The war is over. 

9 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I disagree entirely. The majority of injuries we have sustained have been freak incidents. 

There's to much made of the injury situation, it shouldn't be used as a stick to bash anybody with.

It should be used as an incentive to bring other young players into the 1st team squad.

The problem as usual is the pressure put on the management to keep the morons in the crowd happy, it's time the management realised our support will never be happy and get a system in place that doesn't require fitting square plugs in round holes.

One player out, another player in and stick with it until such time as injured player comes back or promoted player keeps the place. 

We can't get continuity with players so stop trying to achieve it, get continuity with a system that's not over complicated. 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Where was Clevid today when he was needed? 

I personally hope he has flown back to the Congo deep into the rainforest to enlist the services of a tribal witch doctor who will help us break the injury curse. At this point it’s got to be worth a try 

37 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

If everyone else is fitter and our players are 80s / 90s fit, we would get hammered every game.

That happens most games anyway 😂😂😂

Only a joke by the way 👍🏻

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Its incredible really. 

Maybe extra pace to the game putting more pressure on bodies. 

Hearts fans only look at Hearts but plenty clubs suffer injuries galore these days 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Indeed, knee particularly and ankles to a lesser degree - painkilling and anti-inflammatories...It may be my imagination but I remember footballers in the 80s and 90s having much stockier legs than they do nowadays...Remember Pospicil, he had legs like my wife's!

When Dundee Utd won the league in 82, iirc they only used 13 or 14 players all season!  Although you needed balls of steel to tell Jim McLean you were injured!

43 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

What do you do in training to avoid players getting kicked by the opposition? 

Kicking doesn’t cause hamstring injuries 

36 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

When Dundee Utd won the league in 82, iirc they only used 13 or 14 players all season!  Although you needed balls of steel to tell Jim McLean you were injured!

20 players however around 3 only played twice.......

annushorribilis III
41 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Won the league  with 13 players ? 

Edited by annushorribilis III

8 minutes ago, Mike Tyson said:

Questions need to be asked of the medical staff. Probably from the same agency as the guys who didn't order the seats or register Irving.

Talk about stretching...

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I disagree entirely. The majority of injuries we have sustained have been freak incidents. 

Freak incidents to a full team worth of players. Got to be a bit more to it than that. 

2 hours ago, gedster said:

It's September. We've, by my reckoning, had at least 26 players appear for us competitively so far............26 FFS

Teams winning leagues in England back in the 80's were using 14 squad players we'd be lucky to go 2 weeks without having to use more