HR / Pension Advice - RBS

SupaJT

My partner previously worked at RBS, when she left she received a letter from their Pensions department stating that she had three months to transfer her pension fund to a new provider or she would "Lose all rights to any benefits from the plan". She went back to uni so didn't have a pension for this to be transferred to, and is now past the three month period. So far RBS have been unhelpful, I'm not sure how they can mandate that an employee transfers a pension fund when they leave so any advice would be appreciated. 

There will be a separate plan at RBS for employees with special benefits.  When someone leaves they lose those benefits like special rates.

I haven't worked for RBS so I guess they would transfer the person over to an unmanaged scheme with worse rates.  I would look into transferring the pension to somewhere you can manage it.

17 minutes ago, SupaJT said:

My partner previously worked at RBS, when she left she received a letter from their Pensions department stating that she had three months to transfer her pension fund to a new provider or she would "Lose all rights to any benefits from the plan". She went back to uni so didn't have a pension for this to be transferred to, and is now past the three month period. So far RBS have been unhelpful, I'm not sure how they can mandate that an employee transfers a pension fund when they leave so any advice would be appreciated. 

Not really a valid excuse is it? She had 3 months to open up another pension scheme and was told the consequences if she never. Silly.

1 hour ago, SupaJT said:

For a bit of free advice, she should contact whoever she banks with. They will have Financial Advisors who deal with stuff like pensions and who could look into the situation and give advice as to the best course of action given what has happened. The downside is that their advice isn't impartial, as they can only recommend the financial products that their bank, or their partner banks, provide rather than looking at the entire pensions market. Another possible issue could be if she banks with RBS, but I would hope that even their FAs would be able to help in this instance.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Not really a valid excuse is it? She had 3 months to open up another pension scheme and was told the consequences if she never. Silly.

And you don't need a job to have a pension

Edited by Mikey1874