See if?

ri Alban

Someone played a recording of your voice. Would you recognise it, if they didn't tell you who it was?

I hear myself very different to what I sound on a recording. I hope I'm not the only weirdo.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Someone played a recording of your voice. Would you recognise it, if they didn't tell you who it was?

I hear myself very different to what I sound on a recording. I hope I'm not the only weirdo.

So you admit you're a weirdo?

the reason you sound differently in a recording is live when you speak the sound travels faster through your jaw to your ears than though the air. in the recording you dont have that. that speed difference is what causes the difference

1 hour ago, Barack said:

What you're hearing, is you. The actual you, that people hear every day.

Millions of people don't like the sound of their own voice. There's a term for it, called Voice Confrontation.

I can recognise myself on a recording yeah, & I'm now used to it. Can see why others can't though.

Every day's a school day. Voice confrontation! I'd never heard that expression before.

:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I get played my telephone recordings of my conversations with customers every month for feedback from my Team Leader. First time I could swear it's an impostor on the playback, now that I've heard myself quite a few times, I can honestly say I would recognise myself. 

I must admit I hate the sound of my voice but it is what it is so not a great deal I can do about it.

2 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

What always gets me when I hear recordings of myself is how deep my voice is. 

With me, it's my accent. I sound far more Scottish on my recordings than I hear myself speak. I also say "eh" as a place filler a lot when I speak - I don't hear myself do it day-to-day, but by crikey it stands out like a sore thumb when I hear recordings of myself.

18 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the reason you sound differently in a recording is live when you speak the sound travels faster through your jaw to your ears than though the air. in the recording you dont have that. that speed difference is what causes the difference

I thought it was more that deep tones travel through solid matter better (think of someone playing music 2 floors down) so when you hear yourself on tape they're missing and you lose the rounded tone you're used to. 

I'd have no problem recognising my voice but I worked in call centres for years. 

On 28/09/2019 at 08:48, Barack said:

Millions of people don't like the sound of their own voice. There's a term for it, called Voice Confrontation.

Hate hearing my recorded voice.

Cringe when see photos, too.

I'm the most unphotogenic person alive, imo.

Other than that, I think I'm an absolute stud.

10 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Hate hearing my recorded voice.

Cringe when see photos, too.

I'm the most unphotogenic person alive, imo.

Other than that, I think I'm an absolute stud.

In a sensory deprivation tank. ;)

I've got a weird voice, don't like recording of it but guess that's what others hear.

My accent is very Scottish but it's a mystery where it's from. I often get asked if I'm from the Highlands. It's not a family influence either as I've always lived in/around Edinburgh. It's a strange one.

On 29/09/2019 at 00:06, redjambo said:

With me, it's my accent. I sound far more Scottish on my recordings than I hear myself speak. I also say "eh" as a place filler a lot when I speak - I don't hear myself do it day-to-day, but by crikey it stands out like a sore thumb when I hear recordings of myself.

I've did a wee bit of a survey and the consensus is how much more Scottish and deeper the sound is, compared to what you hear as you speak.

When I hear a recording of my voice, it sounds almost as deep as Barry white with a really strong accent. Not the way I think I sound at all.