• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovecraft

• Victorian

• Unknown user

• ri Alban

Surprised nobody has mentioned Zal Cleminson,  ex SAHB and Nazareth now has his own new band, Zal Cleminson's Sin Dogs. Going down a storm wherever they play

10 minutes ago, Dinger said:

how are we this far into the thread without a mention of yngwie malmsteen? 

all the more impressive to me that he plays with a scalloped fretboard 

The scalloped fretboard thing makes it easier to play his style. To me he’s just one of those guys like Paul Gilbert that has all the chops but none of the feel. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The scalloped fretboard thing makes it easier to play his style. To me he’s just one of those guys like Paul Gilbert that has all the chops but none of the feel. 

i will fight you! 

but the fretboard is impossible for me, slightly to much pressure on the string and the note is sharp, 

And not a mention yet of Peter Green?? Even the American blues greats rated him. He knew when not to play a note as well as when to play and his tone??? Awesome 

John Martyn

Richard Thompson

Zappa

Jimi

Terje Rypdal

Ry Cooder

I saw Zappa in 1979 but I was too young and stupid to appreciate what I was hearing. My favourite Zappa album is ‘Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar’ - two CDs of guitar solo edits. Ry Cooder’s playing I love. Beautifully understated, technically perfect.

10 minutes ago, netherleejambo said:

Surprised no mention of Wilko Johnson yet - a unique style and quite brilliant

Agreed, like a bit Dr. Feelgood. 

God I could name loads. Hundreds probably.

I'll try and stick to ones I haven't seen mentioned.

Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne and Black Label Society) is an amazing guitarist and I love his style.

Gus G. Saw him in the early days of Firewind (early 00s) when they supported Dragonforce and said he would go on to do massive things. Replaced Zakk Wylde in Ozzys band for a while so I wasn't wrong.

Sam Totman who plays with Herman Li in Dragonforce and doesn't get nearly enough recognition compared to Li.

Dave Mustaine. A surgeon with a guitar. Absolutely mind blowing.

4 hours ago, Bauld said:

God I could name loads. Hundreds probably.

I'll try and stick to ones I haven't seen mentioned.

Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne and Black Label Society) is an amazing guitarist and I love his style.

Gus G. Saw him in the early days of Firewind (early 00s) when they supported Dragonforce and said he would go on to do massive things. Replaced Zakk Wylde in Ozzys band for a while so I wasn't wrong.

Sam Totman who plays with Herman Li in Dragonforce and doesn't get nearly enough recognition compared to Li.

Dave Mustaine. A surgeon with a guitar. Absolutely mind blowing.

Randy Rhodes was far superior to Zakk Wylde.

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

If only for the mental solo on Get The Funk Out. 

13 hours ago, Smithee said:

And bumblebee to be fair

Absolutely. And the beautiful "Midnight Express". He has to be right up there with the best. 

Anyone mentioned Robert Johnson yet? Some people still convinced there was 2 guitars playing on many of his recordings. Clapton etc still mesmerised by it 

On 27/09/2019 at 23:11, Auld Reekin' said:

Django Rheinhardt

Kenny Burrell

Andrés Segovia

Julian Bream 

John Williams

Paco de Lucía

Scotty Moore

Carl Perkins

Reverend Gary Davis

Doc Watson

John Fogerty

to name but a few...

Love it when a name pops up that I didn’t think anyone else had heard of. 👍🏻

Big appreciation for blues guitarists but BB King stands out for me as The Man (seeing him live helped!)

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Love it when a name pops up that I didn’t think anyone else had heard of. 👍🏻

Big appreciation for blues guitarists but BB King stands out for me as The Man (seeing him live helped!)

Yeah, BB King was superb, as were guys like Albert King, Freddy King, Buddy Guy, & T-Bone Walker. I suppose my list reflects that I had my fill of "guitar hero" guitarists a long time ago and nowadays prefer players who go for "feel" and subtlety over speed and dazzling technique for its own sake*.

(*Not that that applied to BB, or any of the other really great blues and rock guitarists.)

Edited by Auld Reekin'

On 27/09/2019 at 23:18, frankblack said:

One of the best I've seen in the flesh was Steve Vai in David Lee Roth's band at the Playhouse on the Skyscraper tour.

Going to see The Cult for the first time next month in the weej, so nominate Billy Duffy.

Robert Smith of The Cure deserves a mention as does Reeves Gabrels, currently in The Cure but formerly Bowie's band and Tin Machine.

Another I've seen a couple of times - Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath, who more or less invented

James Dean Bradfield of The Manic Street Preachers is also underrated as he is their lead singer.

I'm off to see The Culton forthcoming tour. I completely agree about  Billy Duffy.

The three best guitarists I've seen are

Glen Campbell 

Malcolm Young 

James Dean Bradfield. 

I think that Bradfield tends to be overlooked. Superb musician. 

willie wallace

So many good guitarists over the years but Rory Gallagher and Duane Allman were my favourites.

My first LP was the Taste debut album and always had a soft spot for Rory.

Pity both of them died so young.

Great shouts on here already

Saw Prince a good few times. Incredible.

Slash is just extraordinary.

Love Peter Green

Stuart Adamson

Will Sergeant If The Bunnymen can make a guitar make noises I’ve never heard

Bernard Butler likewise

Saw a boy called Ali Clinton quite recently at a small venue and he was incredible