Astonishing Guitar Players

Lovecraft

8 hours ago, DarthVodka said:

Anyone mentioned Robert Johnson yet? Some people still convinced there was 2 guitars playing on many of his recordings. Clapton etc still mesmerised by it 

Robert Johnson was one of the first great guitarists and along with Hendrix, the most influential, but there’s not two guitars, it’s just his technique of playing bass notes and chords or open notes at the same time and he’s just playing in different tunings, A (Spanish), G and D (Vestapol). His recordings are also at the wrong speed and he was said to have recorded facing the corner of the room to create a reverb sort of effect. 

This is the original recording which I think is 1.5x quicker.

This is the proper speed. 

This guy will show you how he did it. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovecraft

• Victorian

• Unknown user

• ri Alban

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Robert Johnson was one of the first great guitarists and along with Hendrix, the most influential, but there’s not two guitars, it’s just his technique of playing bass notes and chords or open notes at the same time and he’s just playing in different tunings, A (Spanish), G and D (Vestapol). His recordings are also at the wrong speed and he was said to have recorded facing the corner of the room to create a reverb sort of effect. 

This is the original recording which I think is 1.5x quicker.

This is the proper speed. 

This guy will show you how he did it. 

Yeah I don’t think there was 2 guitars, but people really did believe that. 

Few years ago I did highway 61 road tripping, was great

9 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yeah, BB King was superb, as were guys like Albert King, Freddy King, Buddy Guy, & T-Bone Walker. I suppose my list reflects that I had my fill of "guitar hero" guitarists a long time ago and nowadays prefer players who go for "feel" and subtlety over speed and dazzling technique for its own sake*.

(*Not that that applied to BB, or any of the other really great blues and rock guitarists.)

Yeah, the virtuoso “fretwank” stuff leaves me cold, although I appreciate the technique. 

For me, the guitar needs to complement the song which is why guys like George Harrison appeal to me. 

Adding guys like Graham Coxon and Thurston Moore to the list. 

22 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Brian May

Mick Taylor (in Rolling Stones from 1969-74).

Good shout for Mick Taylor, The Stones done their best work when he was in the band IMO, they should have called it a day after that...😀

12 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yeah, the virtuoso “fretwank” stuff leaves me cold, although I appreciate the technique. 

For me, the guitar needs to complement the song which is why guys like George Harrison appeal to me. 

I agree totally with the " fretwank" stuff it just leaves me cold ( apart from Alvin Lee, who was doing that long before the current crop of shredders). Paul  Kossof of Free was a great " feel " player when you listen to Free it's not what they are playing it's what the don't play ie they never overplayed a song, much could be said for Peter Green as well.

13 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

1 hour ago, micole said:

I agree totally with the " fretwank" stuff it just leaves me cold ( apart from Alvin Lee, who was doing that long before the current crop of shredders). Paul  Kossof of Free was a great " feel " player when you listen to Free it's not what they are playing it's what the don't play ie they never overplayed a song, much could be said for Peter Green as well.

This. It’s sad as ****. 

For me Rory Gallagher.  Hugely talented , influential & modest.

Apparently Hendrix was quoted as admitting Rory was the best on the Mike Douglas Show, - but can't find evidence, so possible urban myth.

Brian May goes on at length about Rory.

Legend.

..and Richard Thompson. Decent player too.

18 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Mr John Bruce. A friend of the family so biased but **** me what a player. Amaze. 

Great with Blues n Trouble. 

Good shout for Nick Drake above. The guy must have had bionic fingers. Every note clear as a bell.

Also Larry Carlton. He did some amazing work on Joni Mitchell albums like Hejira. He also played one of the most beautiful guitar solos I know at the end of Third World Man on Steely Dan’s Gaucho.

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Thought the JKB Music massive would've mentioned this chap by now...

Quite ****ing astonishing tbh… 

I think a couple of the smarter, better looking posters may have mentioned him. 

:verysmug:

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think a couple of the smarter, better looking posters may have mentioned him. 

:verysmug:

Last saw thread on page one so may have missed that.. ;) 

That he does that stuff whilst at the same time being a member of a band that in the early nineties were thought of as mainstream chic-centred ballad bollox... (actually really liked Extreme.. never told my male friends though...) 

Then in later life you find they done this type of stuff! Awesome.. 

Auld Reekin'
12 minutes ago, Jambo Jim said:

Steve Howe of Yes. 

Just say no to Yes.   :muggy:

Edited by Auld Reekin'

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

John McLaughlin

With Miles Davis on “in a silent way” and “bitches brew” he’s on another planet. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

With Miles Davis on “in a silent way” and “bitches brew” he’s on another planet. 

I was watching/listening to him Carlos Santana. Carlos is great, but John is on different level.

Edited by ri Alban

• 4 months later...
willie wallace

Favourite at the moment is Derek Trucks.

Also a wee shout for Dickie Betts.Just been watching an old video of The Allmann Brothers playing live version of Jessica(top gear theme tune for our younger members😄)Brilliant.

Names that haven’t been mentioned yet, but appear on my ‘Guitar’ playlist:

John Cipollina

Gary Duncan

Jerry Garcia

Bob Weir (rhythm)

Jorma Kaukonen

Marc Ribot

Jan Akkerman

Syd Barrett

Steve Stills

Neil Young

Tom Verlaine

Robbie Robertson

Lowell George

Steve Miller

Robert Fripp

Bill Harkleroad aka Zoot Horn Rollo

Jeff Cotton aka Antennae Jimmy Semens

For the guitar connoisseurs on the this thread, keep an eye out during the festival for Nick Harper (plays the jazz bar most years), utterly incredible guitar player but when your dad is a famous folk musician (Roy Harper) and his pals including Jimmy Page taught Nick how to play then it's no real surprise how good he is.

Shameless drunken bump.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Silly, silly, silly, silly guitar.  Just silly. 

Dave Gilmour

GOD

Urban myth:

Someone asks Eric Clapton "what's it like to be the best guitar player in the world?"

Eric Clapton " I dunno,  ask Prince"

Silly guitar.  Just silly.

Edited by Lovecraft

scott herbertson

There are thousands of great guitarists out there - here's one of the favourites of my youth, only a few folk will have heard of. Wore this out on my turntable back in 1975

https://youtube/swX9oq6TVAU

..and of course this will be very familiar by him

Edited by scott herbertson

Johnny Greenwood. Recently saw a clip of him playing a keyboard by using the end of his guitar to prod the keys, while simultaneously playing the guitar. 

On 29/09/2019 at 16:57, Craig_ said:

John Squire.

Very much falls into the iconic category, but I don’t think he’s anywhere near the top 50 let alone top 10 or greatest.