Frankfurt

milky_26

Few of us went in February this year.

We stayed in Mainz which is a bit nicer (older nicer architecture) and only 25 minutes on the train.

We went to a 3rd tier match on the Saturday at Wiesbaden and then Eintracht v Nuremberg on the Sunday.

Frankfurt itself is a big modern city with loads of bars, restaurants.

Easy to get around and good connections to the local area.

Well worth a long weekend.

Was a long time ago but I passed through for a couple days.

It's a financial city, lots of offices etc not the most appealing place in my (limited experience) there's nicer cities with more to do that you could visit.

Sorry not that helpful but was my impression of the place

55 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

anyone been, any recommendations? considering a long weekend there next year

You get a good impression of the city from the top of one of the many skyscrapers. The HeLaBa tower is usually open to the public. The Altstadt around the cathedral is interesting, especially now that the ‘new Altstadt’, essentially a new development made to look like the medieval old town, has been completed. The whole area down by the river Main has been transformed over the last few decades and is really pleasant. Sachsenhausen, on the south side of the river, is famous for its Apfelwein (cider) pubs and is as close as Frankfurt comes to a tourist district. There are plenty of museums and galleries if that’s your thing. The Film Museum is very good, the Schirn has good modern art and the Städel is the main municipal gallery.

The city centre is modern with a few restored older parts like the Römerplatz with its city hall. The Freßgasse is good for restaurants and chic places to drink. There’s a beautiful botanic garden in the Westend. It’s worth getting slightly outside the city centre to districts like Bornheim (good Saturday market on Bergerstraße) and Bockenheim, both of which retain some of their previous “village” character. The public transport system is a pleasure to use. I haven’t been to the football at the Waldstadion since the stadium was rebuilt, but I imagine that’s a good experience.

Outside the city to the north-west are the Taunus hills. Lots of good walking there. You can get the S-Bahn out to villages like Eppstein for a bit of peace and quiet in the forested hills.

It’s not Munich or Heidelberg, but it does have a lot going for it. Beer recommendation: Licher Pils.