Scooter

TheBigO

Not the German rave band.

Thinking of buying a scooter for me n the Mrs cos we're selling her wee car.

Know nothing about them other than Quadrophenia!

Any advice where to buy, what look out for?

Not wanting to spend a bucket load but wary of gumtree etc as don't know enough about them to assess condition, judge price.

36 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not the German rave band.

Thinking of buying a scooter for me n the Mrs cos we're selling her wee car.

Know nothing about them other than Quadrophenia!

Any advice where to buy, what look out for?

Not wanting to spend a bucket load but wary of gumtree etc as don't know enough about them to assess condition, judge price.

Sure the JKB mods will be able to help you. :greggy:

Buying a second hand scooter can be tricky, I would do the obvious stuff like (much like buying a second hand car):

1. ask for details of service history/service book

2. Mot status

3. Look up mot history on dvsa web site (you will need the registration) 

4. Look up the  price new for the scooter to help judge the current asking price 

5. Look nationwide on gumtree/autotrader for similar models for price comparison. 

Scotland is trickier to find a decent one namely to the proliferation of them...loads second hand from down south. You need to work out of you want a 50cc scooter or 125cc, pros and cons with each - happy to go into that more if you need help with that. 

10 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Do they still call each other faces like sting in quadrophenia?  What do bikers call each other?

1) Nope

2) Greasers

😀

1 minute ago, 80bob said:

Once a face always a face

Bikers fancy themselves...

There was a bike magazine called Back Street Heroes that used to have a middle page spread with a stunning woman slinked over a classic bike like a chopper etc.  When you pointed out to a biker that what she was wearing made her look sexy, they would agree, even though they were dressed like them.  Fecking weird sexual behaviour that.  To get a girl to turn you on, you want her to look like you? Creepy bassas.  Like they guys who want woman to wear there football top.  Deviants...

Just now, Marriott said:

1) Nope

2) Greasers

😀

Are you too young to remember the mod v rocker fights in the early 80's?  Always next to jenners etc.  I just caught glimpses of it from far away  very far away...

2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Are you too young to remember the mod v rocker fights in the early 80's?  Always next to jenners etc.  I just caught glimpses of it from far away  very far away...

Was a Mod in the 80's yes but not so much Mod v Rockers more Mods v Punks, Mods v Skinheads, Mods v Casuals, then Mods v Scooterists.

Enjoy good relations with bikers /rockers these days.

3 minutes ago, Marriott said:

Was a Mod in the 80's yes but not so much Mod v Rockers more Mods v Punks, Mods v Skinheads, Mods v Casuals, then Mods v Scooterists.

Enjoy good relations with bikers /rockers these days.

I was only joking about bikers.  Great folk on a night out and rarely any bother.

I just prefer the music associated with mods  do you think it was the rebirth of the skinhead in that oi period that started up the anti mod thing? I didn't think punks had much issue with them. 

The mods v scooterist thing is quite interesting.  You think much the same thing.  Are there not some aspects of scooter culture still a wee bit right wing? 

13 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I was only joking about bikers.  Great folk on a night out and rarely any bother.

I just prefer the music associated with mods  do you think it was the rebirth of the skinhead in that oi period that started up the anti mod thing? I didn't think punks had much issue with them. 

The mods v scooterist thing is quite interesting.  You think much the same thing.  Are there not some aspects of scooter culture still a wee bit right wing? 

I would say so, Mods and original skins got on, listened to same stuff dressed similiar, but with Oi skins were a totally different beast and tended to party together with the punks, probably because thet liked each others "music".

Mod rallies back then had a dress code for the do's, when the Mod craze died down some people moved on but kept a love for scooters, they didn't want to wear suits to a do or walk about in parkas and bowling shoes so a major split happened and you then got Scooter Rallies and Mod Ralllies in different seaside resorts on same weekend. There was some animosity at the time.

Believe it or not the Mod scene split even further with those wanting to play new tunes around the Britpop time and those wanting to remain true to the 60's so you would then have 2 different types of Mod rallies at different places on same weekend.

PS Sorry to the OP, this isn't much help 🙄 available to give advice if it's a good old 2 stroke Scooter you are thinking of....

Edited by Marriott

5 minutes ago, Marriott said:

I would say so, Mods and original skins got on, listened to same stuff dressed similiar, but with Oi skins were a totally different beast and tended to party together with the punks, probably because thet liked each others "music".

Mod rallies back then had a dress code for the do's, when the Mod craze died down some people moved on but kept a love for scooters, they didn't want to wear suits to a do or walk about in parkas and bowling shoes so a major split happened and you then got Scooter Rallies and Mod Ralllies in different seaside resorts on same weekend. There was some animosity at the time.

Believe it or not the Mod scene split even further with those wanting to play new tunes around the Britpop time and those wanting to remain true to the 60's so you would then have 2 different types of Mod rallies at different places on same weekend.

PS Sorry to the OP, this isn't much help 🙄 available to give advice if it's a good old 2 stroke Scooter you are thinking of....

Thanks for the reply though.  

17 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

The mods v scooterist thing is quite interesting.  You think much the same thing. 

The Mods v Scooterists was very much an 80's (possibly early 90's) thing. The Mod style of classic, restored scooters fitted with crashbars, chrome racks, mirrors and spotlamps was very different from the Scooterists cutdown, chopped or muralled bikes. Dress sense and music tastes were very different too.

Fast forward to today and there's very much a camaraderie among all classic scooter riders, regardless of their fashion or style of scooter.

37 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Are there not some aspects of scooter culture still a wee bit right wing? 

Again, in the 80's, some right wing factions aligned themselves to the scooter scene, going to rallies and causing bother but it eventually fizzled out.

I don't think there is any right wing presence today, if there was, any individual or group would be ostracized very  quickly.

I'm guessing the OP is looking for something reliable to get him from A to B. I would suggest a modern auto, something like a Vespa Primavera or a Vespa GTS, both of which are available as 125cc.

Eclipse Motorcycles in Tranent are Vespa dealers and could give the OP an idea of what's available etc.

Psychedelicropcircle

Buy a Lambretta it’s like selling tenners for fivers😂

if if this is simply a commuting tool any modern plastic fantastic with a reputable manufacturing company will do  

The Chinese are making some lovely looking Scooters just now and their reputation is getting better. Cheaper than yer Vespas and Lambrettas and, I wouldn’t imagine they’ll last anywhere near as long or be any use for resale but will do a job.

I got a Sinnis 125 just over a year ago for commuting and it’s been grand. Only cost me 2k brand new. Wanted something cheap and cheerful after some wee ***** stole my beautiful Yamaha and set it on fire in Broomie after a week

19 hours ago, Marriott said:

Interesting read :icon14::icon14: