Nick cave and the bad seeds

Bozi

I saw him do the Q&A / songs in Cardiff. 

Outstanding night.  Admittedly there were some stupid-assed questions from the audience. And some heartbreaking ones.

2 hours ago, Bozi said:

45 minutes until it is premiered online, really excited for this one 

On Spotify not playing on my phone they must be waiting until midnight.

Henry. Henry.
3 minutes ago, benny said:

On Spotify not playing on my phone they must be waiting until midnight.

Seems to be streaming there now 

Be buying CD. Only got into him last year following the incredible documentary One More Time with feeling.

Great being able to go backwards and finding all this incredible music

Don't know much of this gadgie's stuff and can't be bothered looking on YouTube. He appears to get good reviews but don't know who he's influenced or any songs. What is it about the ugly looking lanky weirdo? 

Is he the new Dylan, Ferry, Springsteen, Bowie? 

It's not great unfortunately. Not really a bad seed album either. 

Wonder what Wylder was up to in the studio as he certainly wasn't drumming. 

Not an album I feel compelled to listen to again.

Harvey is sorely missed. 

7 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Be buying CD. Only got into him last year following the incredible documentary One More Time with feeling.

Great being able to go backwards and finding all this incredible music

He has an incredible back catalogue. 

8 hours ago, jambogemz said:

It's not great unfortunately. Not really a bad seed album either. 

Wonder what Wylder was up to in the studio as he certainly wasn't drumming. 

Not an album I feel compelled to listen to again.

Harvey is sorely missed. 

To a degree I agree, particularly about Harvey and what he brought to the (birthday) party.

However what I will say in its defence is it is captivating, it's more a soundscape than an album, more a hymnal than a collection of songs and its sombre,melancholic tone could easily become repetitive if not for the craft of Caves workmanship. 

I don't hate it,I'm just not in love with it but it is undeniably beautiful 

12 hours ago, jambogemz said:

He has an incredible back catalogue. 

He does. Unbelievably good. 

I’ve been taking a break from him, though. I didn’t particularly enjoy the last time I saw him - at the SECC on the Skeleton Tree tour. I couldn’t stand all the stuff with the audience on the stage and him coming into the crowd to be pawed and lap up the adulation. That’s not really him. I prefer him snarling and angry in concert. I realise there were probably good reasons for the altered persona, but all the same...

I’ll give the new album a whirl. I don’t listen much to Skeleton Tree.

40 minutes ago, leginten said:

He does. Unbelievably good. 

I’ve been taking a break from him, though. I didn’t particularly enjoy the last time I saw him - at the SECC on the Skeleton Tree tour. I couldn’t stand all the stuff with the audience on the stage and him coming into the crowd to be pawed and lap up the adulation. That’s not really him. I prefer him snarling and angry in concert. I realise there were probably good reasons for the altered persona, but all the same...

I’ll give the new album a whirl. I don’t listen much to Skeleton Tree.

I really enjoyed the gig but it was the first time I'd seen him. I get what you mean about the stage invasions and stuff though.

I'm not into Skeleton Tree much myself and haven't listened to it since the concert and I don't really listen to Push The Sky away much either (although Jubilee street is an incredible track)

The new album is still available to listen to on YouTube. 

Agree regarding skeleton tree its intense but by no means anywhere near his best. Push the sky away is a pretty  good album but Jubilee Street and Higgs Boson Blues are on a different plane to everything else.

I understand that there will never be another murder ballads,let love in or tender prey but I had hoped for a dig,Lazarus,dig, a boatman call or abattoir blues 

On 03/10/2019 at 23:52, Roxy Hearts said:

Don't know much of this gadgie's stuff and can't be bothered looking on YouTube. He appears to get good reviews but don't know who he's influenced or any songs. What is it about the ugly looking lanky weirdo? 

Is he the new Dylan, Ferry, Springsteen, Bowie? 

Nick Cave is his own man with a distinct style and your comparisons are flawed.

I don't know who he has influenced but Peaky Blinders use his song Red Right Hand and its bern covered by many big names including iggy pop.  Aside from that others such as Metallica, Johnny Cash, and Arctic Monkeys have done other songs.

10 hours ago, Bozi said:

Agree regarding skeleton tree its intense but by no means anywhere near his best. Push the sky away is a pretty  good album but Jubilee Street and Higgs Boson Blues are on a different plane to everything else.

I understand that there will never be another murder ballads,let love in or tender prey but I had hoped for a dig,Lazarus,dig, a boatman call or abattoir blues 

I've not heard the new record - I"ll wait for the cd - but I liked Skeleton Tree and Push The Sky Away.  I struggle with some of his records at times as not everything is for me but I guess when you get into an artist with 40+ years of output its hard to work backwards through his work.

Edited by frankblack

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

I've not heard the new record - I"ll wait for the cd - but I liked Skeleton Tree and Push The Sky Away.  I struggle with some of his records at times as not everything is for me but I guess when you get into an artist with 40+ years of output its hard to work backwards through his work.

Like most artists I suppose a lot depends on your entry point, if you listened to the snarling nasty early Cave first then you understand the intensity.

If you got in in his pervert stage with dig,Lazarus,dig and the grinderman project then you dig his humour.

The more recent melancholic stuff is still beautifully created but you kind of wish he would get pissed off with it all and lash out.

I would say though if you like his recent work then go back to the boatmans call 

1 minute ago, Bozi said:

Like most artists I suppose a lot depends on your entry point, if you listened to the snarling nasty early Cave first then you understand the intensity.

If you got in in his pervert stage with dig,Lazarus,dig and the grinderman project then you dig his humour.

The more recent melancholic stuff is still beautifully created but you kind of wish he would get pissed off with it all and lash out.

I would say though if you like his recent work then go back to the boatmans call 

Cheers.  Like Abbotoir Blues and Boatman's Call.  Struggled a bit with Birthday Party and Grinderman.

42 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Cheers.  Like Abbotoir Blues and Boatman's Call.  Struggled a bit with Birthday Party and Grinderman.

Ha aye I suppose Skeleton tree and Ghosteen is Nick Cave sermonising from the pulpit, whereas murder ballads,let love in,the birthday party is nick cave outside the church with a jerry can trying to burn it down 

51 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I liked The Birthday Party back in the day and would be happy to see a new Grinderman album. He’s a bit of a renaissance man with lots of strings to his bow, The Proposition is a fantastic film that he wrote as well, not very cheery though. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I liked The Birthday Party back in the day and would be happy to see a new Grinderman album. He’s a bit of a renaissance man with lots of strings to his bow, The Proposition is a fantastic film that he wrote as well, not very cheery though. 

Apparently another Grinderman album is in the offing. 

"Part of an as yet to be completed trilogy" was his comment last month. 

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

Nick Cave is his own man with a distinct style and your comparisons are flawed.

I don't know who he has influenced but Peaky Blinders use his song Red Right Hand and its bern covered by many big names including iggy pop.  Aside from that others such as Metallica, Johnny Cash, and Arctic Monkeys have done other songs.

Great post.

Even Snoop Dog has had a recent stab at covering Red Right Hand. 😂

• 3 weeks later...

Got a presale ticket for Hydro this morning for 5th May Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds show.

Waiting for the physical album to be released before listening to it.

Also got a ticket for the Usher Hall gig by Foals.  Was supposed to get a presale link from their store which never came.  Emailed them and all they did was reset the password on my account which didn't help get a code.  By chance I found out there was an O2 presale already in progress and it looked like I was out of luck as it was well after the sale started - I tried about 5 times without luck and eventually it gave me a standing ticket.