Is This The Turning Point?

Jambos_1874

No but it's a great way to start our recovery.  I think come end of October, we'll have a better indication of where we stand.

Worth noting a few key things that could aid the recovery:

Whelan had a great game and ran the midfield.  If he keeps that up, the standard will  improve.

Meshino is quality and could be huge for us.

Berra and Halkett strolled it today.  Berra in particular done what he does best - Defend.  If he can build upon this, it will bring him back to being our rock at the back.

We finished the game with 3 recent academy graduates and they changed the game.  The future is very bright.

For the 1st time since McLaughlin, we have a decent keeper.

I really, really hope that Levein doesn't tinker and sends us out with our strongest team on Wednesday.  If Sean Clare starts, he's learned nothing.

Surely the point is that we're gradually getting our best players back.  In fairness to levein, it's been a year since he has had that luxury.

I am full of optimism.

Let's thrash Aberdeen next.

Captain America

Good start to an important week.

We thought Motherwell away was turning point and look what happened, we need to win a few on the bounce for fans to get back onside.

Lose on Wednesday and all previous feelings come straight back from most I would say.

Maybe. Derby’s are different, one off’s. We need to play better than we did today and create much more chances if we want to push up the league.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You saw on the TV how gaunt he looked at one point, hunched in the dug out, panic stricken. If he had any sense he would quit now, go out on a high and let a younger manager take over. Why he wants to put himself through all this, I don't know. Get a holiday, get a life and call it quits after a derby win.

Yup, I have to agree with you there EC, not because of any dislike for Craig but genuine worry, CL is doing too much, It will be sometime in the future when we all will see his true legacy of the academy work(note the youngsters today) I just want him to be around to see it.

It's about time we had a winning feeling as fans the squad will have something to protect work on and believe in. Priceless win for us all to savour a huge relief. The teams got a lot to give at full strength. 

It's important for Craig Levein who has been choking on dissapointment facing failure to have his players embrassing him each other. Show Hearts are very much together rather than broken and scattered. Craig is on a game to game probation let's see how this result spurs the LC v Aberdeen match.

For tonight at the least Craig Leveins a Hearts Legend

Edited by AJAMBO

44 minutes ago, bistokid said:

No. Hibs are terrible and we got a lucky winner. You'd be delusional to think there was any signifance in the performance, it was the usual shit with marginally less individual errors. 

Unlike us Hearts fans you are obviously having a bad day .

Seek help 

1 hour ago, bn jambo said:

Yes, Naismith to return , souttar, Haring, Walker, Washington etc etc, will be a massive boost and instill confidence.

Great win etc etc but I'm not getting too optimistic. I think Uche caused them more problems than Washington would have done, but I'm sure Washington would have started ahead of Uche had he been fit. Where would that have left us? Mulraney's end product is still poor, wasn't convinced by Damour or Clare and yet again it took a defender to dig us out of a goal.

That said, we'll be immeasurably stronger with Naismith, Haring, Soapy and, yes, Walker back in the side.  

The answer is no. 

Did you see a team that is going to be challenging up the top of the league today?

It's like the cup final, it's easier to get up for a game like that. 

I think levein should leave on a high and let someone else come in with a fresh and new way of thinking. 

As a  fat Tory once said " no this is not the end . Its not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning".

I have no idea if it is a turning point but we have to start to play more football get down the wings and play some nice crosses in to our forwards. Beating Hibs at E. Road is a given.. we have bigger fish to fry and we will have to improve to achieve our goal.

I would love to see us kick on now. We do have a strong squad and with guys recovering from injuries we will only get stronger. 

Levein needs to accept Sean Claire needs some time out the limelight. He is apparently a talented guy but he just seems to lack heart. Maybe the jolt of not being automatic pick will see him turn it round.

I have concerns about our new keeper. I think theres a few goals where he could have done much better and his performance today didn't make me feel any more confident. Againx, hopefully he turns it round and believes in himself a bit more.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the next couple of days and then look for us to take another step on the road to recovery by getting to the LC semis. HHGH!!

jamboinglasgow

Obviously its too early to say whether this is a turning point. We will only know for sure in a month.

There are problems that are more fundamental under Levein that need to change (or he is changed) but confidence has been a big problem for the team. Hibs are poor but it can give a massive boost not just winning but coming from behind. The heads have dropped a lot this season and silly mistakes have cost us. So if the team can take this confidence into the coming games and get at a win against St Mirren and Kilmarnock (Aberdeen is a toss up but they are not as good as their league position suggests) then I would see we are starting to turn. But as I say you need a month before it can be said for certain.

As others say, players coming back from injury will also make a difference. Haring and Naismith are first team starters,  a midfield of Whelen, Haring and Naismith has both the talent and the leadership that can make the Hearts midfield strong. Souttar when he does coming back will make us stronger in defence. I think also as some players get up to speed it will benefit, I still think Damour is getting up to speed, same with Uche.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

Captain Canada

I'd say no. The Motherwell cup win was meant to be the turning point but wasn't. 

I was delighted with the win today but the tactics in the first half were awful. Yet again, when we take the shackles off and attack, we are a real threat. 

Overall it was a below average performance against an awful team.

We'll need to play a lot better than today to beat Aberdeen. The result was fantastic, but there's a huge way to go to until we can say we've reached a turning point under CL.

Edited by Captain Canada

WheatfieldWarrior
3 hours ago, Blacky87 said:

Let's wait until tomorrow when all the niggles surface. I'm sure many were running on adrenaline. 

However yes, yes it seems we finally have!! 😎

Probably 2 injuries getting back on the teams bus .

It's the morning after and although I'm still buzzing about the result, reality has dawned a little. I'm struggling to see ua beating Aberdeen on Wednesday.

It will only be a turning point if we learn from it.

Namely: we were pretty awful for the first hour and did not seem to have any coherent plan once we got passed the half way line. Clearly we set out to contain first. The difference seemed to come from introducing Morrison as it gave us an outlet and he is a forward-thinking player. Suddenly, Uche got into it and linked up well and we were away.

Although it felt the goal came from nowhere, we were putting pressure on them and forcing a succession of corners.

So...it will be a turning point if we play on the front foot and not be afraid. Can we do that at St Mirren? I ******* hope so !

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

It's the morning after and although I'm still buzzing about the result, reality has dawned a little. I'm struggling to see ua beating Aberdeen on Wednesday.

We'll beat Aberdeen. 

👍

St mirren away will be tricky, they beat Aberdeen and ran rangers close, they're no mugs but sone will be demanding a 3-0 win. 

julienbrellier

Beating Aberdeen will be much much bigger statement than the Hibs win. Gulf in quality between the two sides. 

I really think we could kick on if we manage that, especially with the players that are due to come back. We need to keep in mind that we could replace Clare, Berra and Damour with Naismith, Souttar and Haring within a few weeks. Huge improvement.

If we can keep that 11 fit even with Levein, as long as he doesn't make really bad selection decisions (which admittedly he might do), it could be a decent season for us in the end.

cardboardcutout

craig levein pointed out that we had cut out the silly mistakes that cost us goals previously, but in reality we escaped punishment when halkett passed to a hibs player and after a deflection their swedish player ballooned wide! That was a pivotal moment and could easily have cost us the game sosmall margins etc....

No, this is not the turning point, but at least the players will have taken a confidence boost from the derby. 

Our problems are like the equivalent of climbing Everest, and we have only just made it to base camp.

Edited by innerjambo

Hope so. Even Morrrison being fit again gives us options. I will be  much happier when Naismith, Souttar and Haring are back.  Washington and Walker probably won't feature until December hopefully giving us a further shot in the arm.

17 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Let’s see what happens over next couple of league games 

No point in beating Hibs then losing to St Midden and Killie

Thought before yesterday's win , that 4points out next 2 away games, and a cup win would be acceptable,  beat  aberdeen on wednesday and we will take care of st midden ......👌🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦

Hope we have turned the corner, however, defeat to aberdeen and anything but a win v st liedown and we're back to where we were before the hibs game.

Weve got a good team now though. We can all see what our best 11 is so hopefully levein sees that too and sticks with the same team every week, with the odd change due to injuries, and stops tinkering with the line up and formation every week. 

It will be so annoying if clare starts on wednesday! 

17 hours ago, iantjambo said:

It’s a start but I’m not getting carried away just yet.

IMO I still think CL should go but he’s bought another week.

I was saying exactly that to my mates yesterday hence I wasn't posting during the game.

Or maybe it's me who has jinxed us :unsure:

Let's hope it is a turning point.

Was just thinking last night how difficult it will be to pick the team if we had a fully fit squad, because there probably isn't space in the team for everyone. Think it goes without saying that the default central midfield partnership should be Whelan and Haring when he's back fit. Does then Naismith take over from Clare, leaving Mulraney and Meshino in the team? What then happens when Walker comes back? When does Morrison get a game, since he always adds a bit of spark when he comes on? Then Washington? Garuccio is due back in a couple of months too - don't think he edges Hickey out of the team but perhaps he could shift forward and Garuccio plays left back... Who knows! When does Uche get a game - because he deserves to get one once in a while...? It's going to be a bit of a headache.

But hey, would rather that than have to play Steven MacLean...