Is This The Turning Point?

Jambos_1874

Levein keeps suggesting that it'll all just click and we'll be a force; was this the turning point? Even accounting for the fact that Hibs are pish, I saw enough quality and fight today to suggest that we can really kick on and potentially challenge for a European spot, although I don't want to get ahead of myself!!

Edited by Jambos_1874

It's a big step, particularly with us going 1-0 down to a wonder goal. Hopefully we can follow it up by booking our place in the semi final at the expense of Aberdeen midweek. 

1 minute ago, dazinho88 said:

It's a big step, particularly with us going 1-0 down to a wonder goal. Hopefully we can follow it up by booking our place in the semi final at the expense of Aberdeen midweek. 

If we could do that, it would actually be a serious turning point. After that it is StMirren away and surely we can beat them.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No 

Hibs are utterly shite.  Beating Aberdeen could be,  but St Mirren next week,  is just as important,  but harder to motivate. 

We'll have a better idea on Saturday 

It's the turning point in the sense the free fall has been stopped, the coming weeks will suggest whether a climb back upwards properly begins. There's been plenty false dawns,  hence being in this position. 

It’s a start but we’ve got a big week ahead. Beat Aberdeen and St Mirren, and convincingly, then we can talk about turning points. For now I’m enjoying today and happy to give Levein the grace of the next two games. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No 

Hibs are utterly shite.  Beating Aberdeen could be,  but St Mirren next week,  is just as important,  but harder to motivate. 

Is the correct and sensible response, let’s just enjoy today for now.

Yes, Naismith to return , souttar, Haring, Walker, Washington etc etc, will be a massive boost and instill confidence.

16 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Levein keeps suggesting that it'll all just click and we'll be a force; was this the turning point? Even accounting for the fact that Hibs are pish, I saw enough quality and fight today to suggest that we can really kick on and potentially challenge for a European spot, although I don't want to get ahead of myself!!

Right now I really don’t want to get into all that.

I’m just chillin’ like a villain and savouring a cracking Derby win!

The first hour was the worst game of football I have ever watched.

I thought we lacked fight and passion entirely until we scored. Hopefully we can play like we did after we scored in the rest of the season!

annushorribilis III
18 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Think I’ll chat about this in the next few days .

Just enjoying the result today.👍🏻

This.

Did well to win but Hibs are shite. The body of evidence suggests this is the exception rather than the rule today.

I suspect this will be another result to paper over the cracks for a while. Let's enjoy it but see the bigger picture eh.

2 minutes ago, bn jambo said:

Yes, Naismith to return , souttar, Haring, Walker, Washington etc etc, will be a massive boost and instill confidence.

5 first picks , certainly for the squad , missing . 

Our squad is , will be , very strong . Yes we have been underperforming but confidence was back today . New players (Whelan , Meshino in particular) starting to show their class .

Whatever you think of CL (I know) he , as pointed out by Boyd , thrives on situations like today .

My glass is more than half full

A commanding performance today may have been the turning point, jury's out after a game like that though. Hibs are a poor outfit who have recruited badly. The Aberdeen game is our biggest game of the season yet we haven't sold that many tickets which tells its own story. Hopefully today triggers people to get tickets so there is a decent crowd. Beating Aberdeen would be the starting point of any turnaround but we really need to see evidence of an improved style of play which fits our squad. 

The White Cockade
6 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

I thought we lacked fight and passion entirely until we scored. Hopefully we can play like we did after we scored in the rest of the season!

You are right it wasn't great particularly first half

but you can't say we lacked fight

what we lack is confidence

if the boys lacked fight today it was game over when Mallan scored

9 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

The first hour was not that bad .

portobellojambo1
30 minutes ago, neonjambo said:

Nope a long way to go, enjoy it though.

This, it was a very welcome 3 points, but we ended up being the slightly better of two poor sides. I'd heard folk at work who are Hibs fans telling me over the last two or three weeks that they were very poor, but hadn't witnessed it myself. I did today, and those going to watch them regularly were correct, they are very poor.

I'll wait until after another few games before deciding if I think things have changed, by the end of October we will have played Aberdeen in the League Cup, St Mirren away, Rangers and Kilmarnock at home and both Livingston and St Johnstone away as well.

Edited by portobellojambo1

AlphonseCapone

Great victory but it's one game. What it's done is given a small amount of breathing room but Wednesday is huge.

I think we learned a few things today that I hope Craig did as well and if he shows that on Wednesday we'll see what happens. If Sean Clare starts on Wednesday then it's an indication he's learned nothing.

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Fantastic result especially showing character to come back from a goal down but the performance wasn’t great and we still don’t create anywhere near enough. 

Really enjoyed Sean Clare not being in the team and we were far better when he went off. 

Hopefully he is out the team for Wednesday. 

Edited by rick witter

1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

You are right it wasn't great particularly first half

but you can't say we lacked fight

what we lack is confidence

if the boys lacked fight today it was game over when Mallan scored

Agreed, quite a bit of confidence has surely been restored with that comeback. Wednesday just as important in the grand scheme. That was a very sweet victory today.

Even though they are/were poor it is not easy to win a derby at ER, especially when we've been so poor recently. This is a big result.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Great victory and great management of the game. They scored a screamer, we sat in to ride out their confidence boost etc then took the game to them and won. 

Worries me that he is still persisting with Clare as a jack of all trades, it’s killing Clare. Pick a position for him and let him focus on that position. 4 at the back suits us better, gets Mulraney more involved and gets people closer to Uche. Playing with tempo and aggression is also the key to our success. 

Still don’t think Levein is the man for the job but am buzzing for him today. He absolutely hates hibs and I love that about him. 

34 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No 

Sadly, this.

Just the tonic we all needed but not counting my chickens yet, I don't think Craig was as much relieved as he was drained which has me worried for his health. the Team now need to address ALL games this way going forward.

No. Hibs are terrible and we got a lucky winner. You'd be delusional to think there was any signifance in the performance, it was the usual shit with marginally less individual errors. 

Big Slim Stylee
1 minute ago, bistokid said:

No. Hibs are terrible and we got a lucky winner. You'd be delusional to think there was any signifance in the performance, it was the usual shit with marginally less individual errors. 

Bollocks. You’d be delusional to think that winning a derby at Easter Road having gone a goal behind won’t be a massive boost for the playing side at the Club.

Hard to say.

We beat Motherwell away, probably should have beaten Aberdeen away and we've just beaten Hibs away.

Can the players carry that confidence into games at home is the question. 

27 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

:cornette: I take it you don't watch much then.

7 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Bollocks. You’d be delusional to think that winning a derby at Easter Road having gone a goal behind won’t be a massive boost for the playing side at the Club.

Yeah, it's a confidence boost. However, the question was - is that a turning point. Not from what I seen in the performance.  

6 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Hang on a second ………… Did we just get through a whole game without any injuries?

Let's wait until tomorrow when all the niggles surface. I'm sure many were running on adrenaline. 

However yes, yes it seems we finally have!! 😎

Hopefully it gives the team a lift at least. I still think we will have a few sticky games but beating a team away from home who we would consider rivals is always good no matter how bad we think they are. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
55 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Is it ****. Levein out.

This was a big game with a lot riding on it. Levein and his team came through. Our next big game is Aberdeen, then St Mirren, then the huns. We've probably got another 3 points to win against St mirren before a likely loss again against the huns. 

We need a run of games against bottom 6 clubs to build up some confidence. I hate, HATE how small the league is. Makes it utterly impossible to build up any sort of meaningful run before hitting the old firm and having that run torn apart. 

We need to start getting clean sheets. Once we can start to do that the confidence in the team will rise again. I can't recall the last time we won a game with a clean sheet. Infact, when was our last back to back clean sheet? 

Regardless, a derby win always buys goodwill from the fans. Next home game the pressure on the players should be lighter provided folk try to avoid playing into the other teams hands (frustrate us for 30 mins, fans turn and then its easy pickings).

However, I do think we need to pick up another striker. Maclean isn't what we need. We need someone wee and nippy who can make runs and score goals. Where we get that is another story.

21 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Just the tonic we all needed but not counting my chickens yet, I don't think Craig was as much relieved as he was drained which has me worried for his health. the Team now need to address ALL games this way going forward.

You saw on the TV how gaunt he looked at one point, hunched in the dug out, panic stricken. If he had any sense he would quit now, go out on a high and let a younger manager take over. Why he wants to put himself through all this, I don't know. Get a holiday, get a life and call it quits after a derby win.