King of Beers/Lager

Cruyff Turn

15 minutes ago, the general said:

7 quid a pint in Voyage of Buck !!

To be fair, if you're drinking Disco Forklift Truck Mango Pale ale in the Voyage of Buck, you should be having a good hard look at yourself... 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auld Reekin'

• The Real Maroonblood

• Stuart Lyon

• Morgan

2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

To be fair, if you're drinking Disco Forklift Truck Mango Pale ale in the Voyage of Buck, you should be having a good hard look at yourself... 

Harsh   :)

54 minutes ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Try anything from local brewery "Pilot", you won't be disappointed,  been really difficult to find their beers anywhere, but shouldn't be much of a problem now as they have not long started canning their beers .

https://pilotbeer.co.uk/our-beers-3/

A lot of pubs down Leith seem to have it on draft.and the Fishmarket restaurant 

4 hours ago, the general said:

7 quid a pint in Voyage of Buck !!

Last time I paid £7 for any pint was 7 years ago in Perth WA - hate to think what to would cost there now.

3 hours ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Try anything from local brewery "Pilot", you won't be disappointed,  been really difficult to find their beers anywhere, but shouldn't be much of a problem now as they have not long started canning their beers .

:yas:

Hopefully they can their green/orange one. That is lovely

Budgie's Boyfriend
3 hours ago, the general said:

A lot of pubs down Leith seem to have it on draft.and the Fishmarket restaurant 

True , had a pint or 2 of Pilot beer in there with my fish n chips on a couple of occasions :)

Budgie's Boyfriend
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

:yas:

Hopefully they can their green/orange one. That is lovely

Correct , that one is really nice

On 22/09/2019 at 08:19, Morgan said:

:thumbsup:

It’s also no mistake that I omitted French lagers/beers, they are shite.

I'm sorry Morgan, but I'm not having that. A cold bottle of Kronenbourg 1664 is a thing of beauty on a hot day. 

1 hour ago, trotter said:

I'm sorry Morgan, but I'm not having that. A cold bottle of Kronenbourg 1664 is a thing of beauty on a hot day. 

In France on holiday a couple of years ago I asked for a pint of Kronenbourg and the server said we only have 1664? I said OHK that'll do, Bizarre unless there are other Kronenbourg beers I've never seen.

16 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

In France on holiday a couple of years ago I asked for a pint of Kronenbourg and the server said we only have 1664? I said OHK that'll do, Bizarre unless there are other Kronenbourg beers I've never seen.

There are, Stuart.

Red can is the ‘Original’ and the black can is the ‘Intense’. Both available on draught.

1E05410D-B3D6-46E5-9197-D7D1D06C6A56.jpeg

C069A917-9195-4B01-BED0-BC72A955C952.jpeg

2 hours ago, trotter said:

Nope - I agree with Morgan: they are all both shite and overpriced, unless buying from a supermarket (in which case they're just shite...).

Edited by Auld Reekin'

54 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Nope - I agree with Morgan: they are all both shite and overpriced, unless buying from a supermarket (in which case they're just shite...).

Summed up well. :thumbsup:

Although living in France, we drink Italian beers mostly. Better taste and better prices.

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Summed up well. :thumbsup:

Although living in France, we drink Italian beers mostly. Better taste and better prices.

But, in fairness to La Belle France, you can get very decent wine for what seems to us like pennies in supermarkets and at very reasonable prices in bars and cafés. 

On 26/09/2019 at 18:41, Auld Reekin' said:

Just remembered the name of another real-ale brewery you should try - I've hated every single beer I've tried by them - Oakham Ales! I can even tell you where to go to drink the horrible stuff: Thomson's Bar* in Morrison Street.   :Icky:

(*An otherwise excellent pub.)

(p.s. Their Bishop's Farewell was just about drinkable, so maybe you should steer clear of that one...   :thumbsup:  )

Need to get myself up the town for a few drinks sometime then. :527::booze::olly:

31 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

But, in fairness to La Belle France, you can get very decent wine for what seems to us like pennies in supermarkets and at very reasonable prices in bars and cafés. 

Yes, true.

Saying that, we get some great wine just over the border in Italy, for ridiculously low prices.

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

There are, Stuart.

Red can is the ‘Original’ and the black can is the ‘Intense’. Both available on draught.

1E05410D-B3D6-46E5-9197-D7D1D06C6A56.jpeg

C069A917-9195-4B01-BED0-BC72A955C952.jpeg

Thanks Morgan - never seen the black one.

Was down at the Pitt yesterday for their Oktoberfest.. good choice of German beers on draft  .. lowenbrau and Pauliner included 

Edited by the general

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Having a pint of this just now. Not my usual go to but Wychwood nails it once again.

Black-Wych-beer.jpg

I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

All down to personal tastes. It's a porter so it's as heavy as looks, not for drinking by quantity but for savouring over a good conversation or a movie night at home as I am doing now. But it tastes lovely if you like that style. Lots of coffee, toffee and chocolate. 

5 minutes ago, Bauld said:

All down to personal tastes. It's a porter so it's as heavy as looks, not for drinking by quantity but for savouring over a good conversation or a movie night at home as I am doing now. But it tastes lovely if you like that style. Lots of coffee, toffee and chocolate. 

Yep - I'll keep a wee eye out for that one.

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Love that type of porter.

I tend to drink them more during the winter.

As you say they’re not a session ale.

We have all suggested what are favourites might be but the volume figures suggest that there is one "beer" and one "lager" that are far and away the king in the on trade.

The top lagers were named as:
  • Carling.
  • Foster's.
  • Carlsberg.
  • Peroni Nastro Azzurro.
  • Stella Artois.
  • Coors Light.
  • Tennent's.
  • San Miguel.

Carling has nearly double the volume of Fosters and Carlsberg put together.

Volume sales (HL)

Value sales (£m)

Sharp's Doom Bar

Greene King IPA

Fuller's London Pride

Greene King Abbot Ale

Caledonian Deuchars IPA

Wainwright

Marston's Pedigree

St Austell tribute Ale

Tim Taylor's Landlord

Ruddles Best

6 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

We have all suggested what are favourites might be but the volume figures suggest that there is one "beer" and one "lager" that are far and away the king in the on trade.

The top lagers were named as:
  • Carling.
  • Foster's.
  • Carlsberg.
  • Peroni Nastro Azzurro.
  • Stella Artois.
  • Coors Light.
  • Tennent's.
  • San Miguel.

Carling has nearly double the volume of Fosters and Carlsberg put together.

Volume sales (HL)

Value sales (£m)

Sharp's Doom Bar

Greene King IPA

Fuller's London Pride

Greene King Abbot Ale

Caledonian Deuchars IPA

Wainwright

Marston's Pedigree

St Austell tribute Ale

Tim Taylor's Landlord

Ruddles Best

Dear god. Of that list I'd drink Peroni and possibly San Miguel at a push. The rest can get tae.

On 27/09/2019 at 10:49, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

Stupendous beers.

:robbo:

On 26/09/2019 at 18:41, Auld Reekin' said:

Just remembered the name of another real-ale brewery you should try - I've hated every single beer I've tried by them - Oakham Ales! I can even tell you where to go to drink the horrible stuff: Thomson's Bar* in Morrison Street.   :Icky:

(*An otherwise excellent pub.)

(p.s. Their Bishop's Farewell was just about drinkable, so maybe you should steer clear of that one...   :thumbsup:  )

I agree with you about the Oakham shite. Thomson’s also tends to have a lot of beers from Fyne Ales, which has never done anything for me either.

It’s one of my favourite bars, but **** knows why. Their beer selection is completely unbalanced. Ask them for a dark beer and there’s never anything on.

1 minute ago, leginten said:

I agree with you about the Oakham shite. Thomson’s also tends to have a lot of beers from Fyne Ales, which has never done anything for me either.

It’s one of my favourite bars, but **** knows why. Their beer selection is completely unbalanced. Ask them for a dark beer and there’s never anything on.

Yep - anytime I've asked about it I've been told that dark beers don't sell well there, so they'll only get one in from time-to-time. Fair enough, I suppose, as even when I was still living in Edinburgh I'd probably only be in 2 or 3 times a month: not worth their while getting in any darker beers on my account! (Even less so these days - it's probably more like 2 or 3 times a year now...)

Don't mind the Vital Spark by Fyne Ales, but don't enjoy all the light & hoppy ones that Thomson's usually have on.

My favourite pub nearer to where I live nowadays is The Barrels in Berwick-upon-Tweed. One of the many things I like about the place is that they always have a stout, a bitter / 80-bob style (sometimes two), and then a couple of lighter / hoppier ones. The micropub 'The Curfew' just along the road from Cobbles is the same: that's the way a beer-pub should be, in my opinion. They're both friendly places too, with good atmospheres.

As you say, though, Thomson's is still a really good pub: probably because it's so well run.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep - anytime I've asked about it I've been told that dark beers don't sell well there, so they'll only get one in from time-to-time. Fair enough, I suppose, as even when I was still living in Edinburgh I'd probably only be in 2 or 3 times a month: not worth their while getting in any darker beers on my account! (Even less so these days - it's probably more like 2 or 3 times a year now...)

Don't mind the Vital Spark by Fyne Ales, but don't enjoy all the light & hoppy ones that Thomson's usually have on.

My favourite pub nearer to where I live nowadays is The Barrels in Berwick-upon-Tweed. One of the many things I like about the place is that they always have a stout, a bitter / 80-bob style (sometimes two), and then a couple of lighter / hoppier ones. The micropub 'The Curfew' just along the road from Cobbles is the same: that's the way a beer-pub should be, in my opinion. They're both friendly places too, with good atmospheres.

As you say, though, Thomson's is still a really good pub: probably because it's so well run.

Another great legacy from Ian Whyte.

Is Lee still running the place?

Not been there for a long time.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is Lee still running the place?

As far as I know, but - as I say - I'm in a lot less now than I used to be.

12 hours ago, leginten said:

I agr

ee with you about the Oakham shite. Thomson’s also tends to have a lot of beers from Fyne Ales, which has never done anything for me either.

The Fyne Ales always taste better bottled I feel

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I can confirm Lee is still managing the pub - best bar manager I've come across since the legend that was Bill Farmer.

Lee has been there for a while then.

He had a good teacher in Ian Whyte.

5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Lee has been there for a while then.

He had a good teacher in Ian Whyte.

He's been in Thomson's since it opened in 2002 (not sure if that's the right year but it was the early 2000s) and yes Ian Whyte was his mentor at various other pubs e.g. Bow Bar and the Cumberland to name but 2!

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

He's been in Thomson's since it opened in 2002 (not sure if that's the right year but it was the early 2000s) and yes Ian Whyte was his mentor at various other pubs e.g. Bow Bar and the Cumberland to name but 2!

You’re not far of the date.

Blue Blazer as well.

When the Dome first opened he had a place in there for a short period.

11 hours ago, the general said:

The Fyne Ales always taste better bottled I feel

Interesting. I’ll give them a try!

24 minutes ago, leginten said:

Interesting. I’ll give them a try!

i dont think they make it anymore but of you can find the fyne ales ragnarok that is lovely and you dont notice it is 7.4%