Pickled eggs!

Morgan

Pub snacks from yesteryear, to have with your pint.

Mind pickled eggs?

Wee jars of mussels in vinegar and wee jars of cockles in vinegar?

Toasties.

We used to go to a pub that sold hamburger rolls in cardboard boxes, that got stuck in the microwave.  Not good.

Apart from the standard crisps and nuts, what else was there available for nibbling?

Love a pickled egg! Not many pubs with them these days, but plenty chippies. 

Pork Scratchings appear popular in north england - absolutely ganting! Scampi Fries used to be popular too, complete with fishy fingers 😂

William H. Bonney
32 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Mind pickled eggs?

Toasties.

We used to go to a pub that sold hamburger rolls in cardboard boxes, that got stuck in the microwave.  Not good.

Apart from the standard crisps and nuts, what else was there available for nibbling?

Those hamburgers always had one bun that was rock hard. 

2 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Those hamburgers always had one bun that was rock hard. 

They did!

I only knew of one pub in Edinburgh that sold these horrendous things, it was in York Place. Mid to late 80’s.

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

0C9852E8-F337-4C81-83CE-6280D10721E8.jpeg

😅😅

Think it was actually a night club/disco. 

Vague memory although the girlfriend now wife insisted I picked one out tasted it and pulled a face and lobbed it back in wee bowl 😜

Cannot deny or confirm was absolutely pished at the time. ☹️

Bit rank tbh, not like me at all. 😉

Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

😅😅

Think it was actually a night club/disco. 

Vague memory although the girlfriend now wife insisted I picked one out tasted it and pulled a face and lobbed it back in wee bowl 😜

Cannot deny or confirm was absolutely pished at the time. ☹️

Bit rank tbh, not like me at all. 😉

It’s funny, I first had olives in Spain when I was really wee, hated them.

Nowadays, we eat them every single night and adore them.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

It’s funny, I first had olives in Spain when I was really wee, hated them.

Nowadays, we eat them every single night and adore them.

Aye was just thinking that Morgan.

You and the wife will be olive connaisseurs where you live. :greggy:

I used to like pork scratchings. They could be a bit sore on the old teeth though.  I watched one of those 'How's it Made' programmes a while back. The factory making the pork scratchings had people at the end of the production line pulling out scratchings with nipples and hairy bits. 🤮

annushorribilis III
59 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

People eating stuff from a bar, after folk have been pishing all day. :D Pish flavoured Crisps and Nuts. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, Yummie!!!

I was in bar in Germany years ago. There was a bowl of nuts with a spoon in it ,the idea being to spoon nuts into your pish stained hands and so not contaminate them . My mate took a spoonful and shoved them into his mouth, spoon & all  and stuffed the spoon back into the bowl. Barman was mortified. We all were.

PS Pickled eggs - utterly disgusting but worse, a few guys in these parts put it into a bag of salt & vinegar crisps , smash it up then pour the stuff down their throats. 

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

Love a pickled egg! Not many pubs with them these days, but plenty chippies. 

Pork Scratchings appear popular in north england - absolutely ganting! Scampi Fries used to be popular too, complete with fishy fingers 😂

I love Pork Scratchings. Not very popular in Scotland so I order a couple of 8 packs of them on Amazon every month.

Dry roasted peanuts scampi crisps bacon ready salted crisps 20 regal plenty Snakebites

13 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I love Pork Scratchings. Not very popular in Scotland so I order a couple of 8 packs of them on Amazon every month.

13 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

FFS man.

Tell me, how is single life? :D

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Mind pickled eggs?

Toasties.

Love a pickled egg with a fish supper. 😊

I remember as a student in Glasgow, the fish sellers would come in to the pub around midnight selling a range of fishy products. Crab sticks were the most popular. It was stinking :D

9 minutes ago, Dunks said:

I remember as a student in Glasgow, the fish sellers would come in to the pub around midnight selling a range of fishy products. Crab sticks were the most popular. It was stinking :D

God aye, crab sticks.  Forgotten about them.

Or, Ocean sticks as they were sometimes called. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I used to like pork scratchings. They could be a bit sore on the old teeth though.  I watched one of those 'How's it Made' programmes a while back. The factory making the pork scratchings had people at the end of the production line pulling out scratchings with nipples and hairy bits. 🤮

Selfish gits, keeping the best bits for themselves. 

Spoiler

Bet they get processed at some rate. Probably quite a high number are missed. Yum  

Салатные палочки

I remember those burgers :laugh2:.  The chippy down the hill from my house started selling them, must have been late 80's. I remember being sent for the paper on a Saturday morning and seeing  hundreds of the boxes scattered over the road. Must have been loads of pished folk at chucking out time. Could imagine the older ones, "gies wan a they cheesy burger things hen". 

7 minutes ago, Herbert said:

anything pickled is good. I've no had a pickled egg in years. out of interest can they go off?

Pickled gherkins can bite my arse :boak:

20 minutes ago, Herbert said:

fantastic. it's the best part of a McDonald's 

Gherkins are the best part of many things.

I love them.

10 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’m sorry Herbert but we can’t be friends :sob:

I wouldn't be friends with someone that doesn't like gherkins. it screams bodies buried in the garden type :whistling:

2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I wouldn't be friends with someone that doesn't like gherkins. it screams bodies buried in the garden type :whistling:

Only deviants that like gherkins are buried in my garden chief!

On a totally unrelated matter...What’s your address? :ninja:

Edited by iantjambo

Just now, iantjambo said:

Only deviants that like are buried in my garden chief!

On a totally unrelated matter...What’s your address? :ninja:

10 downing street. feel free to pop by.

Roast potatoes on the bar with tons of salt on a Sunday in my old local in South London. 

Asked a landlady once how long the pickled eggs were behind the bar and she said no one had bought one in years................ Since that I decided against the pickled egg