Jump to content
Morgan

Pickled eggs!

Recommended Posts

Morgan

Pub snacks from yesteryear, to have with your pint.

 

Mind pickled eggs?

 

Wee jars of mussels in vinegar and wee jars of cockles in vinegar?

 

Toasties.

 

We used to go to a pub that sold hamburger rolls in cardboard boxes, that got stuck in the microwave.  Not good.

 

Apart from the standard crisps and nuts, what else was there available for nibbling?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Forza Cuore

Pork Scratchings and Scampi Fries. Stinky fingers and sore stomach later on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunks

Love a pickled egg! Not many pubs with them these days, but plenty chippies. 

 

Pork Scratchings appear popular in north england - absolutely ganting! Scampi Fries used to be popular too, complete with fishy fingers 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban

People eating stuff from a bar, after folk have been pishing all day. :D Pish flavoured Crisps and Nuts. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, Yummie!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dino Velvet
32 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Pub snacks from yesteryear, to have with your pint.

 

Mind pickled eggs?

 

Wee jars of mussels in vinegar and wee jars of cockles in vinegar?

 

Toasties.

 

We used to go to a pub that sold hamburger rolls in cardboard boxes, that got stuck in the microwave.  Not good.

 

Apart from the standard crisps and nuts, what else was there available for nibbling?

 

 

 

Those hamburgers always had one bun that was rock hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allyby

On a trip to Sheffield we went out to the pub at Sunday lunchtime and they served as a free for all Yorkshire Pudding with gravy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
2 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

 

Those hamburgers always had one bun that was rock hard. 

They did!

 

I only knew of one pub in Edinburgh that sold these horrendous things, it was in York Place. Mid to late 80’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robbo-Jambo

Wee bowls of olives 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smithee

I still love me a pickled egg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Wee bowls of olives 😜

 

0C9852E8-F337-4C81-83CE-6280D10721E8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ri Alban
7 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Wee bowls of olives 😜

Jellies Mair like! 

 

 

 

 

:whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robbo-Jambo
5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

 

0C9852E8-F337-4C81-83CE-6280D10721E8.jpeg

😅😅

 

Think it was actually a night club/disco. 

 

Vague memory although the girlfriend now wife insisted I picked one out tasted it and pulled a face and lobbed it back in wee bowl 😜

 

Cannot deny or confirm was absolutely pished at the time. ☹️

 

Bit rank tbh, not like me at all. 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robbo-Jambo
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Jellies Mair like! 

 

 

 

 

:whistling:

Possibly was hammered at the time 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

😅😅

 

Think it was actually a night club/disco. 

 

Vague memory although the girlfriend now wife insisted I picked one out tasted it and pulled a face and lobbed it back in wee bowl 😜

 

Cannot deny or confirm was absolutely pished at the time. ☹️

 

Bit rank tbh, not like me at all. 😉

 

It’s funny, I first had olives in Spain when I was really wee, hated them.

 

Nowadays, we eat them every single night and adore them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robbo-Jambo
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

It’s funny, I first had olives in Spain when I was really wee, hated them.

 

Nowadays, we eat them every single night and adore them.

Aye was just thinking that Morgan.

 

You and the wife will be olive connaisseurs where you live. :greggy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab

I used to like pork scratchings. They could be a bit sore on the old teeth though.  I watched one of those 'How's it Made' programmes a while back. The factory making the pork scratchings had people at the end of the production line pulling out scratchings with nipples and hairy bits. 🤮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
annushorribilis III
59 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

People eating stuff from a bar, after folk have been pishing all day. :D Pish flavoured Crisps and Nuts. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, Yummie!!!

I was in bar in Germany years ago. There was a bowl of nuts with a spoon in it ,the idea being to spoon nuts into your pish stained hands and so not contaminate them . My mate took a spoonful and shoved them into his mouth, spoon & all  and stuffed the spoon back into the bowl. Barman was mortified. We all were.

 

PS Pickled eggs - utterly disgusting but worse, a few guys in these parts put it into a bag of salt & vinegar crisps , smash it up then pour the stuff down their throats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo
1 hour ago, Dunks said:

Love a pickled egg! Not many pubs with them these days, but plenty chippies. 

 

Pork Scratchings appear popular in north england - absolutely ganting! Scampi Fries used to be popular too, complete with fishy fingers 😂

 

I love Pork Scratchings. Not very popular in Scotland so I order a couple of 8 packs of them on Amazon every month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AJAMBO

Dry roasted peanuts scampi crisps bacon ready salted crisps 20 regal plenty Snakebites

13 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

 

I love Pork Scratchings. Not very popular in Scotland so I order a couple of 8 packs of them on Amazon every month.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunks
13 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

 

I love Pork Scratchings. Not very popular in Scotland so I order a couple of 8 packs of them on Amazon every month.

 

FFS man.

 

Tell me, how is single life? :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunks

Some of the posher pubs do bombay mix and wasabi peas :thumbsup:

 

Some of the clarty pubs do beef jerky 🤢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo
17 minutes ago, Dunks said:

 

FFS man.

 

Tell me, how is single life? :D

 

 

The wife moans like **** about it :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
10 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

 

The wife moans like **** 

 

Perhaps this is for another thread, Ian?

 

:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
milky_26
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Perhaps this is for another thread, Ian?

 

:biggrin:

maybe this one

 

 

Edited by milky_26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

maybe this one

 

 

That’ll do nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robbo-Jambo
20 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

 

The wife moans like **** about it :lol:

 

😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Pub snacks from yesteryear, to have with your pint.

 

Mind pickled eggs?

 

Wee jars of mussels in vinegar and wee jars of cockles in vinegar?

 

Toasties.

 

We used to go to a pub that sold hamburger rolls in cardboard boxes, that got stuck in the microwave.  Not good.

 

Apart from the standard crisps and nuts, what else was there available for nibbling?

 

 

Love a pickled egg with a fish supper. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cade

Pork Crunch is far superior to pork scratchings

Like a porky quaver.

 

2665-pork-crunch.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunks

I remember as a student in Glasgow, the fish sellers would come in to the pub around midnight selling a range of fishy products. Crab sticks were the most popular. It was stinking :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
9 minutes ago, Dunks said:

I remember as a student in Glasgow, the fish sellers would come in to the pub around midnight selling a range of fishy products. Crab sticks were the most popular. It was stinking :D

 

God aye, crab sticks.  Forgotten about them.

 

Or, Ocean sticks as they were sometimes called. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gjcc
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I used to like pork scratchings. They could be a bit sore on the old teeth though.  I watched one of those 'How's it Made' programmes a while back. The factory making the pork scratchings had people at the end of the production line pulling out scratchings with nipples and hairy bits. 🤮

 

Selfish gits, keeping the best bits for themselves. 

 

Spoiler

Bet they get processed at some rate. Probably quite a high number are missed. Yum  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid

Still eat mussels in vinegar. very nice they are too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salad Fingers

I remember those burgers :laugh2:.  The chippy down the hill from my house started selling them, must have been late 80's. I remember being sent for the paper on a Saturday morning and seeing  hundreds of the boxes scattered over the road. Must have been loads of pished folk at chucking out time. Could imagine the older ones, "gies wan a they cheesy burger things hen". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sagan

You can still get all that in the supermarkets. Just carry it up your juke when you go to the pub. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo
5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Perhaps this is for another thread, Ian?

 

:biggrin:

 

5 hours ago, milky_26 said:

maybe this one

 

 

 

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert

anything pickled is good. I've no had a pickled egg in years. out of interest can they go off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo
7 minutes ago, Herbert said:

anything pickled is good. I've no had a pickled egg in years. out of interest can they go off?

 

Pickled gherkins can bite my arse :boak:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
Just now, iantjambo said:

 

Pickled gherkins can bite my arse :boak:

 

 

if your ass were pickled it would taste good. pickle juice is amazing stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo
1 minute ago, Herbert said:

 

 

if your ass were pickled it would taste good. pickle juice is amazing stuff.

 

Gherkins though :boak:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

 

Gherkins though :boak:

 

fantastic. it's the best part of a McDonald's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo
12 minutes ago, Herbert said:

 

fantastic. it's the best part of a McDonald's 

 

I’m sorry Herbert but we can’t be friends :sob:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
20 minutes ago, Herbert said:

 

fantastic. it's the best part of a McDonald's 

Gherkins are the best part of many things.

 

 

I love them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
10 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

 

I’m sorry Herbert but we can’t be friends :sob:

 

 

I wouldn't be friends with someone that doesn't like gherkins. it screams bodies buried in the garden type :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo
2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

 

 

I wouldn't be friends with someone that doesn't like gherkins. it screams bodies buried in the garden type :whistling:

 

Only deviants that like gherkins are buried in my garden chief!

 

On a totally unrelated matter...What’s your address? :ninja:

 

Edited by iantjambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herbert
Just now, iantjambo said:

 

Only deviants that like are buried in my garden chief!

 

On a totally unrelated matter...What’s your address? :ninja:

 

 

 

10 downing street. feel free to pop by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo
8 minutes ago, Herbert said:

 

 

10 downing street. feel free to pop by.

 

:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AW1

Roast potatoes on the bar with tons of salt on a Sunday in my old local in South London. 

 

Asked a landlady once how long the pickled eggs were behind the bar and she said no one had bought one in years................ Since that I decided against the pickled egg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dagger Is Back
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

Perhaps this is for another thread, Ian?

 

:biggrin:

 

Sharp very sharp 👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
10 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

 

Sharp very sharp 👏

Merci!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlimOzturk

Jellied eels.  Love them

Edited by AlimOzturk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...