Spitting Players

Tommy Brown

Sick of all the CL/AB threads, thought I would start a totally different topic.

Gerrard has told his his Albanian player Grezda that he will never play for Rangers again after spitting on a Ballymena player in a Tunnock's cup tie.

As much as I see high standards being met, blah blah, is it a bigger crime than a cowardly out of control tackle that can put a fellow professional out of the game.

Spitting is disgusting, no doubt, he should be hammered. But suspensions tend to be worse than for my example.

You may find it's more of a cultural offense also, Balkans probably see it as a lesser offence. Where UK, we don't generally behave in this manner.

I gave an example of "out of control" tackle, think Kenny Miller against McHattie, that was thuggery and arguably deliberate and has ruined a young lad's career.

But we seem to accept a three match ban and move on. Part of the game pish.

Anyway, floor is open, debate.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Gerrard has told his his Albanian player Grezda that he will never play for Rangers again after spitting on a Ballymena player in a Tunnock's cup tie.

As much as I see high standards being met, blah blah, is it a bigger crime than a cowardly out of control tackle that can put a fellow professional out of the game.

Spitting is disgusting, no doubt, he should be hammered. But suspensions tend to be worse than for my example.

You may find it's more of a cultural offense also, Balkans probably see it as a lesser offence. Where UK, we don't generally behave in this manner.

I gave an example of "out of control" tackle, think Kenny Miller against McHattie, that was thuggery and arguably deliberate and has ruined a young lad's career.

Gerrard the man who attacks people in nightclubs and has tried to break a fair few legs in his career. Guy is a tit. 

Spitting is rank though. 

Gerrard needs a boot in the balls absolute dick

4 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Gerrard the man who attacks people in nightclubs and has tried to break a fair few legs in his career. Guy is a tit. 

Spitting is rank though. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Spitting is vile , one of the only things that ever used to make me snap. I’v no idea how anyone can keep their cool when someone spits on them. 

I like the idea that if someone does it Gerrard wont let them play for them again but would it be the same if Morelos , McGregor or Kent did it. Kent openly punched Brown in the OF game and it was ignored. You either set a standard of behaviour or don’t. 

Tackles it would be very difficult for the most part to prove intent to say you meant that so you are not playing for us again. 

If it was Kent or even someone who actually makes their match day squad it would be a different story, easy just to use that to force him out the door as he's been a flop.

Only reason rangers are doing this is because they want him out the door. Decent wage and nowhere near the first team - there's now an excuse to terminate his contract.

Spitting is still minging though.

I know people view these things differently but spitting at someone is one of those things that gets me more seething than a lot of other bad things you could potentially do to someone, if someone spat on me I would want to kill them.

Tenaciousdandy

spitting on someone is one of the scummiest things you can do, absolutely vile, anyone doing it deserves a smack in the face

Would be interesting if Morelos spat on anyone, pretty sure there would be double standards by Gerrard

Perth to Paisley
21 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

If it was Kent or even someone who actually makes their match day squad it would be a different story, easy just to use that to force him out the door as he's been a flop.

Exactly 

I prefer the "one on the chin" method personally. Can anybody actually say, I've lost the plot so much I felt like spitting at someone. Loony behaviour and childishly clarty. 

Disgusting thing to do to someone, genuinely rather someone hooked me in the coupon than spit on me. I'm a very patient, friendly guy but spitting would likely make me lose the plot tbh 

Gerrard has many faults bit I applaude him for his stance here

56 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I know people view these things differently but spitting at someone is one of those things that gets me more seething than a lot of other bad things you could potentially do to someone, if someone spat on me I would want to kill them.

**** me Lewis something I agree with ya on. For all the shit you give players or kickback on here and elsewhere that I might not agree with this is spot on 👌🏻

25 minutes ago, dazinho88 said:

Disgusting thing to do to someone, genuinely rather someone hooked me in the coupon than spit on me. I'm a very patient, friendly guy but spitting would likely make me lose the plot tbh 

Gerrard has many faults bit I applaude him for his stance here

I think the stance is due to the players place in the grand scheme of things at Ibrox but still. 

Is indeed as I said its one of the few things that ever make me snap 😇

Think Gerrard has a massive, massive ego tbh. All this 'Stevie Gerrards rangers' is sickening. Media are pretty much accepting the man is bigger than the club, and odds are he knows it. 

Anyway, Kenny Miller is a disgusting coward, and I wish him no end of pain and misfortune. He ruined Mchatties career, lad should be playing either still for us or for another SPL team. Its an utter disgrace he wasn't rounded on and shamed for it. Utter, utter piece of shit in every sense of the word. If one of our players spat on him I'd praise them. Outside of that, no. Its disgusting. 

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Did Gerrard not nearly break Naysmith’s legs in a Merseyside derby? Should get off his ****ing high horse. *****.

He certainly put him out of action for a while. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Doubt he'd take the same stance with Morelos tbh. Convenient it's a guy surplus to requirements. 

Weakened Offender

I remember watching us getting a doing at Tannadice during the 80s and a group of United casuals were right up at the fence gesturing to the Hearts support. My pal casually walked towards who appeared to be the ringleader and gobbed a greener right into his face. All over his eyes and mouth. The boy was nearly in tears, gagging and his pals were stunned by it.

It was, and still is, one of the most disgusting, vilest things I've ever seen and yet I fell about laughing at the time and I'm still immensely proud of my pal for doing it to this day.

So I'm undecided.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

If he intentionally spat on another human being, then yes. Quite right, and he deserves his punishment. 

2 hours ago, sadj said:

**** me Lewis something I agree with ya on. For all the shit you give players or kickback on here and elsewhere that I might not agree with this is spot on 👌🏻

I think the stance is due to the players place in the grand scheme of things at Ibrox but still. 

Is indeed as I said its one of the few things that ever make me snap 😇

Most likely but he could have just said it would be dealt with internally, doesn't condone that behaviour etc. but chose a stronger stance.

In no way am I a Gerrard fan, particularly with my liking for Chelsea, but I like this tone with that disgusting stuff.

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

It is horrible.  However, I don’t believe for a second, anyone who says they would rather have a broken leg, or a long term injury, through a bad tackle, than be spat at. 

Never understood the seethe at spitting. Players gob all over the park so you're probably coated in it already after a slide tackle. Pretty minging but a knee high tackle is far worse. 

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Kenny Miller is a rat faced $%@#.

I still hate it when I see the rat as a tv pundit.Can you imagine the media witch hunt if roles were reversed .and an older Hearts player wrecked a young Rangers player.

Scumbag Miller .

Rangers came out the traps to try bully us that day.

And that tackle was horrendous.

Spitting on someone is scumbag stuff and plaudits to Gerrard.

Spitting in someone's face is imo serious assault and should be defended .

13 minutes ago, Smack said:

Never understood the seethe at spitting. Players gob all over the park so you're probably coated in it already after a slide tackle. Pretty minging but a knee high tackle is far worse. 

Spitting at someone surely that gets your anger up ?

5 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

I agree.

I knew a boy who had stabbed someone.

When the police went to arrest him he resisted and there was a melee before he was restrained.

He then spat in one of the polices faces .

He was sentenced 2 years for stabbing the boy and 18 months for the assault on the busy.

So too right mate someone spits on you teach them a lesson .

27 minutes ago, jake said:

Spitting at someone surely that gets your anger up ?

Yep, but the cliche goes that spitting is the worst thing you can do in football. Far worse things imo. 

SpruceBringsteen

Was playing at the Jack Kane about 15 years ago when one of our lads got a broken leg and dislocated ankle. Bad enough that he more or less needed to learn to walk again. I can still vividly remember the mess of it.

Suspect he'd rather have washed a wee greener off instead tbh.

joondalupjambo

It was not that long ago that one of our players spat in the direction of a linesman and lo and behold he left or was moved on pretty quickly after that incident.  I said at the time there could be no defence for it even if it missed hitting the guy because I thought it was intent and/or disgraceful behaviour.

AlphonseCapone
7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Is there any basis for the bolded bit? Why would you think so?

Anyway, I'd say spitting is seen so badly compared to a really bad, even intentionally so, tackle because I think humans have a natural disgust reflex towards bodily fluids so it can lead to pretty visceral disgust.

There's also a context issue to it, tackles are part of football and although sometimes there is no doubt a tackle was set out to hurt someone, in most cases it's a subjective call. There's zero ambiguity around spitting at someone.

Remember seeing a video when Gerrard was doing punditry defending Scott Brown for the challenge on Cochrane. Decided there and then he was a prick.

I have been spat on while playing football and it’s not nice. But I’ve also been punched in the face on a rugby pitch and given the choice, I would rather the big f****r that punched me had spat on me. 

No no doubt being spat on is disgusting, but there are worse things. 

Edited by grumpy rebus

I can't get this image out my head.

Big fat neanderthal hun says "Quite right, nae room in the big hoose for dirty *******s spitting on the park"

Only to hang out his bus five minutes later and gob at a Celtic supporter walking by, much to the delight of his mates.

3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Is there any basis for the bolded bit? Why would you think so?

Anyway, I'd say spitting is seen so badly compared to a really bad, even intentionally so, tackle because I think humans have a natural disgust reflex towards bodily fluids so it can lead to pretty visceral disgust.

There's also a context issue to it, tackles are part of football and although sometimes there is no doubt a tackle was set out to hurt someone, in most cases it's a subjective call. There's zero ambiguity around spitting at someone.

You may find it's more of a cultural offense also, Balkans probably see it as a lesser offence.

I am guessing about this, although I tend to believe it from players interviews throughout the years. (dont ask me to link, :smile:)

I would make a good guess that culprits in the main over the years are foreign.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jan/10/spitting-samuel-saiz-leeds-football-crime-fa-ban

I found this article that pretty much echoes my OP.

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I can't get this image out my head.

Big fat neanderthal hun says "Quite right, nae room in the big hoose for dirty *******s spitting on the park"

Only to hang out his bus five minutes later and gob at a Celtic supporter walking by, much to the delight of his mates.

Presumably calling him a “fen**** b******” at the same time?

Spitting is disgusting and is probably worthy of being told you’re not playing for the club again BUT if Morelos, Kent, Defoe etc had done it then I reckon the outcome would not be the same. 

17 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

It was not that long ago that one of our players spat in the direction of a linesman and lo and behold he left or was moved on pretty quickly after that incident.  I said at the time there could be no defence for it even if it missed hitting the guy because I thought it was intent and/or disgraceful behaviour.

From memory, it was Nicholson.