Astonishing Songwriters

Lovecraft

On 22/09/2019 at 07:16, Les Izemore said:

Guilty as charged. 😀

I do tend to get a bit wound up about the deification of Strummer and Weller, both mediocre songwriters and musicians that have been placed on too high a pedestal by cloth-eared chumps. 

In your opinion. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovecraft

• Auld Reekin'

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

Radiohead

Led Zeppelin

Queen

Bowie

Elton/Bernie

Noel Gallagher

Damon Albarn

Morrissey/Marr

Annie Lennox

Townsend, Weller and Davies are my personal top 3. But, the older I get, the more I like The Beatles, The Stones and Oasis.

Oh I forgot, Adele and Amy Winehouse are pretty good, anaw.

Edited by ri Alban

luckyBatistuta

Might have missed it, but can’t believe nobody hasn’t mentioned Johnny Cash.

Also think Buddy Holly should be on any list. The guy came up with so much in a short period of time. He surely would have gone on to write many more classics if he hadn’t been tragically taken from us at such an early age.

Some might disagree with my final one, but the guy is a lyrical genius imo...Eminem. His 1999 album ‘Slim Shady’ is a staggering piece of work, groundbreaking stuff.

Brighton Jambo
10 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Bruce Springsteen. 

Took the words right off my finger tips.  Springsteen is up there with Dylan for writing songs that are ‘whole stories’ in themselves.

you could make a film based on a number of Dylan and Springsteen songs 

On 21/09/2019 at 00:12, Lovecraft said:

I'm drunk and going through my music "library"

Currently listening to George Michael, one of my Favorite songwriters ever.

The man just wrote so many amazing songs.

Lennon

Dylan

Gibb

ABBA

What's yours?

Any hidden gems?

Thom Yorke

6 hours ago, felix said:

Although feted, never sure about Bowie's cut & paste technique.

Van Morrison and Leonard Cohen on the other hand,  wrote some incredible stuff.

I quite like Leonard Cohen but find Van Morrison's stuff hit or miss.

Bowie was far more than "cut and paste" and hadn't lost a plagiarism case (that I know of) unlike others on this thread.   He was a visionary like Madonna in bringing underground fashion into the mainstream.  Few have a back catalogue as consistent over a 50 year career.

32 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I quite like Leonard Cohen but find Van Morrison's stuff hit or miss.

Bowie was far more than "cut and paste" and hadn't lost a plagiarism case (that I know of) unlike others on this thread.   He was a visionary like Madonna in bringing underground fashion into the mainstream.  Few have a back catalogue as consistent over a 50 year career.

I meant cut and paste words and phrases that he thought sounded good, then put a decent tune to it . Always struck me as an odd method of songwriting.

You're right about his back catalogue & influence. Few can match Bowie in that respect, but Van Morrison does. and some more.

Since we're talking songwriting,  there's nothing that Bowie did lyrical imo that touches  Astral Weeks; St Dominic's Preview; Veedon Fleece; Beautiful Vision or Sense of Wonder .

For fashion / style and  arguably influence - Bowie every time.  Not for songwriting; (imo of course). 👍

I have been working my way through ELO recently.  Jeff Lynne is damn good too.

I have always been a huge fan of The Travelling Wilburys and always wondered why he was in the group.

Starting to realise now though.

luckyBatistuta
23 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Bruce Springsteen. 

Many classic songs started life as contractual obligations. Bruce Springsteen didn’t want to write ‘Dancing In The Dark’, he was ordered to by his manager Jon Landau, who thought ‘Born In The USA’ lacked a radio hit (hence the first line, “…I ain’t got nothin’ to say”: Bruce was in a huff, he was trying to make a point).

3 hours ago, felix said:

I meant cut and paste words and phrases that he thought sounded good, then put a decent tune to it . Always struck me as an odd method of songwriting.

You're right about his back catalogue & influence. Few can match Bowie in that respect, but Van Morrison does. and some more.

Since we're talking songwriting,  there's nothing that Bowie did lyrical imo that touches  Astral Weeks; St Dominic's Preview; Veedon Fleece; Beautiful Vision or Sense of Wonder .

For fashion / style and  arguably influence - Bowie every time.  Not for songwriting; (imo of course). 👍

I'm not that familiar with Van Morrison's back catalogue and most of what I've heard of him isn't my bag, but it doesn't seem you are very familiar with Bowie's albums.  I looked at the track listing for Astral Weeks and none of the titles seem familiar.

If you want examples of Bowie lyrics check out Lazarus and Blackstar from his last album, which is truly touching as the last words of a man who knows his time has come.  Then you have some of the most iconic songs of all time - Space Oddity, Life On Mars, "Heroes",  Young Americans for starters.

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Carole King

Carly Simon

Madonna

Any more ladies? 

Rennie Sparks (The Handsome Family), Sheryl Crow.

Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)

Alison Goldfrapp

Beth Gibbons (Portishead)

Nora Jones  - Don't care what some people think, she is a great songwriter.

Joanna Newsom

In addition to Joni Mitchell who I mentioned earlier there are a great number of female songwriters I listen to a lot. 

PJ Harvey

Tori Amos

Cat Power

Also Dolly Parton wrote quite a few classics.

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Many classic songs started life as contractual obligations. Bruce Springsteen didn’t want to write ‘Dancing In The Dark’, he was ordered to by his manager Jon Landau, who thought ‘Born In The USA’ lacked a radio hit (hence the first line, “…I ain’t got nothin’ to say”: Bruce was in a huff, he was trying to make a point).

Not a bad track considering he was in the cream puff. 👍

Ray Davies 

Lennon 

McCartney 

Jagger/Richards

Carole King

Buddy Holly

Irving Berlin

Paul Simon

David Sylvian 

Kate Bush

Roddy Frame

Gallacher and Lyle

Guy Chambers has always been high on my list.  His work spreads far and beyond the Robbie Williams hits. 

He wrote a musical for children's book The Selfish Giant called Magical Love and to be frank, its up there with the Beatles. 

As soon as I heard this, it felt like the song Lennon and McCartney would have gone on to produce. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
10 hours ago, Tazio said:

In addition to Joni Mitchell who I mentioned earlier there are a great number of female songwriters I listen to a lot. 

PJ Harvey

Tori Amos

Cat Power

Also Dolly Parton wrote quite a few classics.

PJ Harvey is probably my favourite female singer of all time but it is a close call with Hope Sandoval who has such an addictive voice whoever she sings with, not just with Mazzy Star or The Warm Inventions.

Some recent discoveries I really like and who write their own songs are

Sharon Van Etton 

Marissa Nadler

Amanda Shires ( Alt Country/ Americana)

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

Francis Albert
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 09:44, Tazio said:

Also all the amazing writers that wrote for other people. From genius like Cole Porter through to people like Carole King and Gerry Goffin . Then the staff writers at Motown like Holland/Dozier/Holland. Jimmy Webb wrote a few crackers as did Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham. 

Glad the great American songbook gets a look in. Berlin, George and Ira Gershwin. Hoagy Carmichael, Duke Ellington, Jerome Kern, Rogers and Hart, Johnny Mercer to name but a few. Many "pure" songwriters rather than performers, and whose songs have been covered, re-arranged and reinterpreted in versions which often surpass the original versions, including covers by some of the newer singers and musicians on this thread (passing quickly over McCartney's torture of them). Lennon and McCartney were great but their own versions were rarely even closely matched let alone improved in later non-Beatles versions.

If you want 'astonishing', you've got another vote here for Kate Bush. Mainly because of her youth when she turned out Wuthering Heights - an astounding tune that really stood the test of time. Paul Weller for similar reasons, writing tunes in his late teen that were great for the time and are still great for young and old listeners. (I'd also commend Cat Stevens for all that he wrote at a young age.)

I saw a mention of Paul Heaton who I'd also list. I love someone who can write melodious, jaunty tunes and harmonies which have biting lyrics behind them. He's still got it. In a similar mould is Justin Currie: lots of very clever songs, both lyrically and musically - a real favourite. 

Of the 'biggies', I'd go for John Lennon, Paul McCartney & Pete Townshend for pushing boundaries rather than just great songs and Springsteen must get a mention for longevity and continued relevance. 

Just to remind you what a great songwriter Kate Bush was:

s-l400.webp

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

If you want 'astonishing', you've got another vote here for Kate Bush

Just to remind you what a great songwriter Kate Bush was:

s-l400.webp

Back in the day, I would have agreed with you, yes👍

Just to remind you what what a great songwriter Kate Bush now isn’t:

:wtf:

Edited by luckyBatistuta

18 hours ago, frankblack said:

I'm not that familiar with Van Morrison's back catalogue and most of what I've heard of him isn't my bag, but it doesn't seem you are very familiar with Bowie's albums.  I looked at the track listing for Astral Weeks and none of the titles seem familiar.

If you want examples of Bowie lyrics check out Lazarus and Blackstar from his last album, which is truly touching as the last words of a man who knows his time has come.  Then you have some of the most iconic songs of all time - Space Oddity, Life On Mars, "Heroes",  Young Americans for starters.

Starman is one of my favourite tunes. Changes, Sound and Vision, Jean Jeanie, Man who sold the world. He wrote some great songs. Prefer Ferry but Bowie was brilliant. 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

17 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Back in the day, I would have agreed with you, yes👍

Just to remind you what what a great songwriter Kate Bush now isn’t:

:wtf:

:biglaugh:

It doesn't stop what she wrote in her teens as being astonishing, though. 

On 25/09/2019 at 07:23, martoon said:

Ray Davies 

Lennon 

McCartney 

Jagger/Richards

Carole King

Buddy Holly

Irving Berlin

Paul Simon

David Sylvian 

Kate Bush

Roddy Frame

Gallacher and Lyle

I love when people appreciate the kinks

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

I love when people appreciate the kinks

I love the way Ray laces his songs with humour. 

So many classic songs to chose from, Smithee, but, for me, "Shangri-la" is his masterpiece.

Any shouts for Mark Knopfler?

As well as all his Dire Straits stuff and huge number of solo recordings he wrote some iconic film scores.

Local Hero

Cal

The Princess Bride

Genius guitar skills and not a bad song writer. 

1 hour ago, martoon said:

I love the way Ray laces his songs with humour. 

So many classic songs to chose from, Smithee, but, for me, "Shangri-la" is his masterpiece.

Neil Hannon (Divine Comedy) is another excellent songwriter who writes a good, humorous lyric.