Thomas Cook

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

Got flights booked for next Sunday with them, not really looking good for us. Think insurance will refund the flight cost but Apartments/transfers/airport parking not covered, all in all we could be down about 1400 quid (all paid on a debit card before anyone asks). Looks like booking other flights could be our only way out of this without losing too much but you can be sure if I wait til they crash every other flight will go up by several hundred quid, bugger!

Anyone else sweating?

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Wouldn't book a holiday with any travel company with known financial issues.

They've had financial issues for several years now and they were several hundred quid cheaper than Ryanair so thats why we decided to book with them, more fool me I suppose!

22 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

They've had financial issues for several years now and they were several hundred quid cheaper than Ryanair so thats why we decided to book with them, more fool me I suppose!

Yeah, unfortunate timing. I was overseas when Flyglobespan went bust and was due to be flying home with them. Nightmare.

Fingers crossed TC pull through.

Edited by Sooperstar

I’m in Florida just now with them, supposed to be flying home on Thursday next week. 😱

On a package holiday so should get home ok with their ATOL protection. 

36 minutes ago, flem said:

I’m in Florida just now with them, supposed to be flying home on Thursday next week. 😱

On a package holiday so should get home ok with their ATOL protection. 

You will, it's crazy that you are not covered by ATOL if you only book a flight with them.

Hope you get lucky FinnBarr.

Mac_fae_Gillie

AS soon as they announce they are in trouble every person thinking of booking a holiday will look elsewhere.. Real shame if such a giant of the industry fails. But in last 15yrs not even gone into a travel agents. Have browsed the sites a few times(Looking at Las Vegas few weeks ago) but normally book hotels thru Booking.com or similar and flights either direct with airline or Lastminute.com etc. Just seen the amount of options rather than the few on offer at a Travel Agency is way better unless price is far lower in all in package style holiday.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
8 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Got flights booked for next Sunday with them, not really looking good for us. Think insurance will refund the flight cost but Apartments/transfers/airport parking not covered, all in all we could be down about 1400 quid (all paid on a debit card before anyone asks). Looks like booking other flights could be our only way out of this without losing too much but you can be sure if I wait til they crash every other flight will go up by several hundred quid, bugger!

Anyone else sweating?

Edited, as reading it again, it won't offer protection. 

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Haven't used Thomas Cook in years and even then only twice I think, Luxor & Cuba and they were 10 years ago.

Like another poster says, browsed their website but only really to compare prices, which are usually more expensive than other companies.

Use Jet2 nowadays if we book a package, either that or Easyjet/BA for flights & Expedia/Booking.com/Travel Republic etc etc etc for hotels.

I think the days of the traditional high street travel agent are numbered, soon they'll be none, everything will be online.

BRAVEHEART1874

They have been in trouble for years but were still one of the best travel agents and never had any problems.

Sky says fosun tourism group may invest for a stake in the business as Thomas Cook try to cut their debt so what is the latest news on that?

My holiday package like most peoples I assume is ATOL protected which I discussed with them at the time and any worst case scenario. 

I would not care if I have to fly with Jet2 or another airline from Edinburgh it wont  be the first time.

But I suppose it would be a shame if we had to stay in New York for some extra days;)

ATOL quote -

"Tourists who booked a package holiday through Thomas Cook won't be left out of pocket if the company decides to sell up or goes into administration. ATOL protections means that customers won't be stranded abroad if the company goes bust and they will be refunded for trips that couldn't go ahead." 

I'm part of a closed group on facebook for a hotel in Tunisia... sh1ts hit the fan over there... 

Hotel demanding folk who are leaving today pay for their stay.. apparently took an old lady for 2.5k out of her credit card. 

Another post less than 5 minutes ago..

FB_IMG_1569090055120.jpg

jack D and coke
21 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Dull one mate.
Everybody take note to pay with a credit card in future though. 

2 hours ago, jumpship said:

I'm part of a closed group on facebook for a hotel in Tunisia... sh1ts hit the fan over there... 

Hotel demanding folk who are leaving today pay for their stay.. apparently took an old lady for 2.5k out of her credit card. 

Another post less than 5 minutes ago..

FB_IMG_1569090055120.jpg

Like something from a movie, seems the hotel in Tunisia have cancelled all the buses to take folk to the airport and locked the gates.... 

Amazing how such a giant of the industry can fall like this. They just have  not adapted to the way people book their holidays. Hardly anyone goes into actual travel agents to book their holidays anymore. Think my last holiday with them was a cruise over the med about 8 years ago. Recently considered booking them but read about their financial problems so decided against it  luckily enough

Few pointers for folk.

If you've paid by credit card you should be fine as this can be reversed.

If you booked flights plus accommodation then ATOL/ABTA will cover. If you booked flights only it is possible ATOL may be covering, not had an update on this but was lead to believe this might be the case on Fri.

If you have travel insurance check if it covers insolvency. Many do but there are some who exclude it. When Monarch collapsed (2017) this exclusion was relaxed by some insurers too however so may still be worth a call to find out their stance (big events can lead to large numbers of disgruntled customers and media/social media chastising which can be just as costly as paying out).

If all is well when you fly out but you are then stranded the CAA (ATOL) will fly you home, your travel insurance may cover and further accommodation costs incurred if you are delayed getting home.

Another thing worth adding - some insurers cover travel disruption too where they will allow you to book an alternative flight instead if you booked your accommodation separately so you can still travel.

Even if the insurer doesn't and they only cover you for cancellation there is no harm suggesting this to the claims team - the cost of a flight v the cost of cancelling the whole trip is likely to be less.

Doctor FinnBarr
13 hours ago, RS86 said:

Another thing worth adding - some insurers cover travel disruption too where they will allow you to book an alternative flight instead if you booked your accommodation separately so you can still travel.

Even if the insurer doesn't and they only cover you for cancellation there is no harm suggesting this to the claims team - the cost of a flight v the cost of cancelling the whole trip is likely to be less.

Question mate, if they go  into admin will it still operate flights etc the same way that we operated as a football team whilst in admin?

25 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Question mate, if they go  into admin will it still operate flights etc the same way that we operated as a football team whilst in admin?

Not really sure tbh. I think the only way to know for certain is check with the airline you were booked to fly with I think.

Doctor FinnBarr
6 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Not really sure tbh. I think the only way to know for certain is check with the airline you were booked to fly with I think.

That airline is Tommy Cook

1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

That airline is Tommy Cook

Had a feeling you'd say TUI. Hopefully i'll get some updates at work tomorrow morning, will likely be something someone has looked in to over the weekend (I work in insurance).

CavySlaveJambo

Flights cease if an airline goes into Administration.

Website has stopped taking bookings.

Aircraft G-TCDL has been seized at Manchester Airport just after midnight. 

Announcement expected around ~2am when planes on the ground (or en-route to the UK from US/Mexico) 

Mac_fae_Gillie

That is huge shock seen another giant of its trade fall, puts it up there with MFI and Woolworths. But all 3 failed to change with the times and paid the price, just a huge shame.

You merge with a company that has huge debts and only turned a profit once in 6 years, you end up with huge debts and running losses too.

What were they thinking?

AlphonseCapone

I've plenty sympathy with the folk on holiday just now but I completely back the Government's decision not to bail them out.

At the end of the day, this is a private company that hasn't adapted to the times. There should be no such thing as too big to fail because where is the incentive not to take silly risks in that situation like we saw with the banks? As they've said, the £200 million would keep them afloat for now but they might well have found themselves having to repatriate people down the line anyway.

Edited by AlphonseCapone

1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I've plenty sympathy with the folk on holiday just now but I completely back the Government's decision not to bail them out.

At the end of the day, this is a private company that hasn't adapted to the times. There should be no such thing as too big to fail because where is the incentive not to take silly risks in that situation like we saw with the banks? As they've said, the £200 million would keep them afloat for now but they might well have found themselves having to repatriate people down the line anyway.

100% agree.  I've got a holiday booked in three weeks with Thomas cook :vrface:

It's all protected plus paid by credit card so I'm not too worried, just a bit of a pain in the arse really.  I feel sorry for their staff as it's them that's really been let down.

Be a bit of inconvenience for me but it's nothing to cry over. 

My wife is meant to be going to Cancun with her work in 2 weeks time for 8 days.

While the package wasn't booked directly with TC, it was a TC flight.

Still trying to look at alternative options, refunds, different flights etc.

We'll both be devastated if she has to stay home ( ;) )

Obviously feel for the customers and staff.

Edited by DETTY29

Flight prices in the near term are mental for various destinations I've looked at--and for obvious reason, demand suddenly through the roof.

Shanks said no

Booked to go to Goa with TC, already paid £900, have checked with the bank and all paid on my credit card, so I will get all my cash back. When Globespan went under I was refunded within 7 days. 

Daughter is booked for Cuba but used her debit card, she had checked on Saturday and could have switched to Mexico for the same price with TUI but price has now gone through the roof

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Some insurers are relaxing exclusions on their travel insurance to allow claims for this now. Suspected this would happen :). Good news for those who have booked flight only on a debit card and have travel cover

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Agreed, the Government can't just step in and save every company which finds itself in financial bother.

Thomas Cook has been in trouble for over a decade and a lot of it has been down to poor management decisions and a complete inability to change with the times, example being, when other companies were getting out of having high street travel agent shops, Thomas Cook bought over the Co-op travel business and in many locations doubled their high street presence, Galashiels being one in question, where you had a Thomas Cook branch directly across the road from a Co-op travel branch and the Co-op travel branch stayed open for around a year after being taken over by Thomas Cook,  I wonder how many times this happened up and down the country, little wonder then they ended up with 1.5bn in debt.

Of course as per usual it's the public & the staff who suffer the most, I feel sorry for all of those people who have lost their jobs and their holiday's, it must have been horrendous arriving at the airport this morning only to be told that your holiday was f**ked or even if you're flying out this week or next etc.

Other posters have said about price hikes, this isn't only for flights or holiday's within the next few weeks or months.

Yesterday morning I was looking at a holiday to Turkey in October 2020, a year in advance, this morning it was £189 dearer.

Now I know prices do fluctuate but nearly £200 in just one day...................

2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

that should include banks as well...

On 20/09/2019 at 23:18, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Anyone else sweating?

When Zoom went bust, I had my flight costs refunded with interest and they were paid for on my (visa) debit card. The form was a tad complicated, but the branch manager filled it in for us. 

Certainly worth a claim from your provider :thumbsup:

An absolute gutter for folk looking forward to their holidays or have been stranded. Like Sooperstar above, i was really inconvenienced when Globespan went tits up.

And hopefully this won't offend anyone who is going through it all at the minute however i couldn't help but raise a smile at the Hibby on my facebook who was boasting last week about heading abroad 24 hours after ''pumping the hertz'

Whilst I feel sorry for people who have had their holiday plans etc. spoiled, they will get all or most of their money back in due course. I have much more sympathy for those who will lose their jobs, both in the UK and elsewhere.

Doctor FinnBarr

Managed to get new flights booked albeit a tad more expensive than my TC ones. Holidays at work changed, parking cancelled, transfers changed, apartments have agreed to date changes although we've got to move elsewhere for the last night.

Insurance are refusing to pay for flights as it was a financial collapse but my bank are considering a refund so fingers crossed.

I need a holiday after the day I've had!

:jj_facepalm:

Sky News reporting that some people in Majorca & Tenerife have been asked to pay for their stay or will be flung out of their rooms.

https://news.sky.com/story/live-wedding-plans-and-dream-holidays-ruined-thomas-cook-collapse-11817534

One hotel issued a statement saying that they hadn't received any money from Thomas Cook since March.

As per it's the innocent consumer who has all of the hassles.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Seymour M Hersh
40 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Managed to get new flights booked albeit a tad more expensive than my TC ones. Holidays at work changed, parking cancelled, transfers changed, apartments have agreed to date changes although we've got to move elsewhere for the last night.

Insurance are refusing to pay for flights as it was a financial collapse but my bank are considering a refund so fingers crossed.

I need a holiday after the day I've had!

:jj_facepalm:

Insurance companies are thieving *******s. 

Shanks said no

Bank got in touch with me as I had been in my branch asking how I reclaim from my credit card.

Spent 13 minutes on the phone to the claims line and have my claim dispute reference number. Was told that I would hear back within 30 working days.

Also priced re-booking with TUI to Goa but its over £600 dearer so will be re-booking closer to home.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Paying share dividends while debts mounted.    Top executives coined in millions.    Bumped key creditors while continuing to trade.    Flouted the law by failing to consult employees regarding redundancy.     Just some of the ever increasing tales of sharp practice in business.     

****ing people over is a routine currency now.

Dean Winchester
59 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Tui and Jet2 profiteering as per usual.

Yup. Had our eyes on a holiday to Tenerife in November that has went up 2k overnight