Deposit Return

Mikey1874

50 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

I'm sure I saw something from DEFRA saying they were excluding them as plastic is the main source of waste and littering and glass didnt really feature and is already recycled at high rates. 

DEFRA have obviously never had to clear up broken glass outside. As a litter collector, this takes by far the most time for me to do, and broken glass can and does of course cause injury to humans, pets and wildlife. Yet another example of the decision-makers being out of touch with reality.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• BlueRiver

• frankblack

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

DEFRA have obviously never had to clear up broken glass outside. As a litter collector, this takes by far the most time for me to do, and broken glass can and does of course cause injury to humans, pets and wildlife. Yet another example of the decision-makers being out of touch with reality.

Would you say you see as much of that as you do plastic and cans though? Agree with your point on the harm it causes. 

I'd imagine there's other business concerns that have probably informed the decision too. 

6 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Would you say you see as much of that as you do plastic and cans though? Agree with your point on the harm it causes. 

I'd imagine there's other business concerns that have probably informed the decision too. 

No, I see more plastic and cans. But they are easy to pick up and cause less damage. A bottle broken into a hundred very small pieces takes a long while to clean up and one of those pieces can cause injury to an animal stepping on it or a child playing on the ground.

Just now, redjambo said:

No, I see more plastic and cans. But they are easy to pick up and cause less damage. A bottle broken into a hundred very small pieces takes a long while to clean up and one of those pieces can cause injury to an animal stepping on it or a child playing on the ground.

Yeah I know what you mean. Always something of a concern when I take the dog along certain paths for sure. 

From my personal viewpoint only - glass bottles are typically going to contain drinks of higher value to begin with. The type of banger who's happy to pay £10 (or whatever it costs) for their bottle of Buckfast and smash it will carry on doing that if it's £10.20. I dunno if the disruption to businesses would be worth it when there's a lot of folk happy to recycle at home and the impact on the aforementioned bangers will be minimal at best. Even myself - if I open a £70 single malt, that 20p deposit is hardly an incentive to return it to anywhere. 

I don't go on the look out for them by any means but I feel like I used to see more smashed bottles back when you could still return them for 10p.

Truth be told I'm not really for any iteration of this scheme either but that's more through potential personal pain in the arse it will cause me returning empties which I always recycle anyway. 

Barr's bottle return worked fine for 110 years.

They only stopped it in 2015 because people were too feckin lazy to return the bottles and were recycling them at home instead

Saw plenty smashed bottles in my time and what's wrong with folk recycling them at home? Isn't that what the recycling boxes are for? 

12 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

did you actually read the article? as here is a quote from it. there is a scheme for refillable glass bottles

Norway was one of the very first countries in the world to establish a deposit return system (DRS) for reusable bottles, with a system for refillable glass containers first established as far back as 1902, and automated return of refillable glass bottles through so-called reverse vending machines (RVMs) first coming into play in the early 1970s.

54 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

did you actually read the article? as here is a quote from it. there is a scheme for refillable glass bottles

Norway was one of the very first countries in the world to establish a deposit return system (DRS) for reusable bottles, with a system for refillable glass containers first established as far back as 1902, and automated return of refillable glass bottles through so-called reverse vending machines (RVMs) first coming into play in the early 1970s.

Clearly not in depth enough 🤣 mea culpa. 

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

One of your links says Norway excludes glass too. 

Wondering if the scheme that Milky has noticed in the article I posted regarding glass is therefore something different entirely? 

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

Not checked this, but it’s quite possible that the Norwegian DRS was implemented prior to kerbside recycling.

We have a good kerbside system in place and the main benefit of this scheme seems to be to rely on homeless people to pick up litter. Would it not be better to invest this money on additional litter pickers who can collect all kinds of litter.

Just now, BlueRiver said:

One of your links says Norway excludes glass too. 

Wondering if the scheme that Milky has noticed in the article I posted regarding glass is therefore something different entirely? 

from reading it, i think it is an older scheme that only affects reusable ones. probably similar to the old barrs return here

• 2 months later...

Something is seriously wrong with WM and their stance about DRS. It's a great scheme and glass should be a must. Coca cola are absolute monsters with their plastics and cans. The worst on the planet.

41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Something is seriously wrong with WM and their stance about DRS. It's a great scheme and glass should be a must. Coca cola are absolute monsters with their plastics and cans. The worst on the planet.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Including glass would have meant less recycled glass available to make new bottles with.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, pablo said:

You really don't know what you're talking about. Including glass would have meant less recycled glass available to make new bottles with.

Exactly . 

JudyJudyJudy
55 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Worth it for the grievance campaign 

Yep that’s all it’s been . Further evidence that the SNP are grievance fanatics 

Lone Striker

I'm struggling to understand the arguments for abandoning the planned Scottish DRS  startup in 2023, simply due to UKG insisting  that glass isn't included until the English/Welsh scheme starts.

Plastic bottles and cans seem to be the majority of what currently gets discarded in parks, roadsides etc - surely there must be merit in going ahead for them just to gauge the effectiveness ?

Apart from a political stunt, what is the main reason for the delay ?   

Edited by Lone Striker

28 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I'm struggling to understand the arguments for abandoning the planned Scottish DRS  startup in 2023, simply due to UKG insisting  that glass isn't included until the English/Welsh scheme starts.

Plastic bottles and cans seem to be the majority of what currently gets discarded in parks, roadsides etc - surely there must be merit in going ahead for them just to gauge the effectiveness ?

Apart from a political stunt, what is the main reason for the delay ?   

The arguments I've heard is that glass recycling would  e the area where it was most financially viable. Without that it would be too costly. Only heard a snippet on the radio.

Why has it always got to come down to money? Just another unfair tax on the poor. Much the same as minimum unit pricing. Trying to save the lives of a minority of hardcore alcoholics who would rather drink than feed the kids. The middle class and the toffs don't notice it, but the minimum wage worker has to stretch the budget for a few beers after work. Education instead of taxation. Most people recycle now anyway.

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

The arguments I've heard is that glass recycling would  e the area where it was most financially viable. Without that it would be too costly. Only heard a snippet on the radio.

Could be something like that.  Makes you wonder how much  drinks producers pay councils just now  for collecting glass bottles for them to re-use with or without having the glass melted down first - and whether we're all being charged an excess fee  already  when we buy a glass bottle of something.

1 hour ago, tightrope said:

Most people recycle now anyway.

Yeah, thats what I can't get my head around.   Most councils have a kerbside collection and/or glass banks near supermarkets or in the middle of villages.   It seems a stretch to think that folk who don't care a sh1t about recycling would suddenly start for the sake of getting 20p back.