Deposit Return

Mikey1874

With talk of stuff the Scottish Government is doing, isn't doing, and was doing but has now scrapped.

What they are doing is implementing a new scheme to help the environment.

From April 2021 we will pay an extra 20p for every drinks bottle (glass and plastic) and can. Which we will get back when we take said bottle or can back to the shop. 

https://www.gov.scot/news/deposit-return-scheme-1/

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• BlueRiver

• frankblack

• Unknown user

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sincerely hope this is implemented, although doubtless there will be massive opposition from those who currently profit from the environmental carnage caused by discarded drinks containers -  the manufacturers and retailers.

Anything that discourages the brain-dead from winding their car/van/lorry windows down and chucking cans and bottles on to our road verges has to be good. The country is choking under a carpet of litter, much of it drinks related. I look forward to the prospect of hordes of reformed litterers roaming the highways and byways in search of discarded cans and bottles to trade in.

It’s of such an obvious benefit to society that it’s actually a disgrace that it has taken so long to get to this stage. There are other European countries where it has long been second nature to return your empties.

Edited by leginten

1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

😂  your first thought is to start banking glass/plastic cheques and hoard stuff to get 20p. 

Tragical. 

I'm nipping out now to raid one of the big glass recycling bins. :munny:

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

With talk of stuff the Scottish Government is doing, isn't doing, and was doing but has now scrapped.

What they are doing is implementing a new scheme to help the environment.

From April 2021 we will pay an extra 20p for every drinks bottle (glass and plastic) and can. Which we will get back when we take said bottle or can back to the shop. 

https://www.gov.scot/news/deposit-return-scheme-1/

Its a practice thats been running in Germany for many years now

1 hour ago, Zlatanable said:

'Plans to introduce a deposit return scheme in Scotland are too complicated and could miss a planned 2021 launch date, experts have warned. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49451005

Its a sign of an emerging maturity in the Scottish Government. And definitely not a rush to stay onside of Extinction Rebellion. 

Its a shambles of an idea made by the green loonies keeping the Nats in power at Holyrood.

It is completely impractical and lacking in joined up thinking with household recycling.

- What happens with council recycling policies for cans, glass, cardboard etc.?

- How do people get the empties back to the store? Not everyone drives or will be capable of taking this back to the store.

- How does it work with online shoppers, click and collect etc?

- How do big and small stores facilitate redemption of the empties? Is it even practical without stores losing money.

I think this whole idea was the invention of idealistic halfwits who can't see how it will be the biggest blow to recycling efforts and lead to people giving up and dumping recycling materials in grey bins or just fly tipping once these are full.

Surely a better approach is to invest in recycling facilities and get more people using the existing green bins?

Edited by frankblack

chuck berrys hairline

Be like america, junkies walking around pushing trolleys full of shit for recycling. If it keeps the streets clean 🤷🏼‍♂️

I stayed in South Australia for a bit and they do this there. Loads of community groups and Girl Scouts and the likes collect them to raise funds. You also see wee retired people going around with their grabber collecting them from bins to give a wee boost to their pensions. I can only see it as a positive move. 

9 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

I stayed in South Australia for a bit and they do this there. Loads of community groups and Girl Scouts and the likes collect them to raise funds. You also see wee retired people going around with their grabber collecting them from bins to give a wee boost to their pensions. I can only see it as a positive move. 

Ok for houses where people are interested and are home when the collectors turn up, but impractical for blocks of flats.

Sorry to put a dampener on folks thinking about stockpiling bottles & cans now to make a buck or two when the deposit scheme comes in.

Think this was on Sky News where this very question was asked and they were told that the barcode would be changed so that the deposit machine knows which bottles & cans have actually had a deposit paid for and those which haven't.

6 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its a shambles of an idea made by the green loonies keeping the Nats in power at Holyrood.

It is completely impractical and lacking in joined up thinking with household recycling.

- How do people get the empties back to the store? Not everyone drives or will be capable of taking this back to the store.

- How do big and small stores facilitate redemption of the empties? Is it even practical without stores losing money.

I think this whole idea was the invention of idealistic halfwits who can't see how it will be the biggest blow to recycling efforts and lead to people giving up and dumping recycling materials in grey bins or just fly tipping once these are full.

Surely a better approach is to invest in recycling facilities and get more people using the existing green bins?

None of those appear to be an issue in Germany. I see no reason why they should become one here. 

1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

None of those appear to be an issue in Germany. I see no reason why they should become one here. 

Or in The Netherlands. I put my bottles in the machine, push the big green button and get a voucher printed out. I can then decide to donate the voucher back to charity or it is scanned at the checkout and it is deducted from my total bill. It really is simple.

Boots shops in Glasgow (Sauchiehall St) and Perth have installed machines. 10p voucher to go onto Boots card. 

We might see some more of these to test it out. 

Edited by Mikey1874

4 minutes ago, Gulpener said:

Or in The Netherlands. I put my bottles in the machine, push the big green button and get a voucher printed out. I can then decide to donate the voucher back to charity or it is scanned at the checkout and it is deducted from my total bill. It really is simple.

Yep, or they'll hand you cash for it. It works, it's easy, you just get used to taking empty bottles to the shop with you.

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yep, or they'll hand you cash for it. It works, it's easy, you just get used to taking empty bottles to the shop with you.

I struggle to remember to take the reusable bags with me never mind filling the boot with recyclables. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Or Norway.

I assume this has already been thought about...

are barcodes north of the border going to differ from those south of the border?

if not, you’ll have lorry loads of recyclables coming over the border for free cash. Or is It still a benefit to Scotland (financially) for this to happen?

3 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

SNP bad of course

Me and my mate used to nick juice bottles from behind one shop, taking them to another to get the 5p deposits. If anyone is thinking of doing this, you'll only need around140-150 to buy a match ticket.

4 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

2 hours ago, Gulpener said:

Not hearing any solutions here to the issues raised.  Overseas countries have probably got an established infrastructure lasting decades.

- Why do we need it when we have council bins to recycle?

- How does it work for online shopping where people may not live near the shop, have transport, or have disabilities preventing them travelling to the shop?

- Why not just invest in better recycling facilities?

- How will small shops manage this?

Edited by frankblack

We shouldn't try to do anything new to us or to try and make the environment cleaner because not everyone can take part, they might live in a flat. 

Jesus weeps.

5 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

We shouldn't try to do anything new to us or to try and make the environment cleaner because not everyone can take part, they might live in a flat. 

Jesus weeps.

It’s just the usual anti-SNP stuff that comes out whenever anyone actually tries to make the country a better place.

Similar to the scandalous, party-political opposition to minimum unit pricing for alcohol a few years back.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Not hearing any solutions here to the issues raised.  Overseas countries have probably got an established infrastructure lasting decades.

- How does it work for online shopping where people may not live near the shop, have transport, or have disabilities preventing them travelling to the shop?

Why do we need it when council recycling bins exist? Because, despite this, not enough is being recycled. 

How will small shops manage this? Fairly easy. Mainly because most folk will take large amounts to larger places as they do in other countries. 

Why not invest in better recycling facilities? Because that doesn't encourage people to recycle. 

How does it work for online shopping? I would assume the delivery company has to pick up the empties but I'll ask the missus how it works in Germany. 

How will it affect existing council recycling? It shouldn't affect it all. People can choose to take it back to the shop for the deposit or chuck it in with their council stuff. 

Edited by Normthebarman

Sawdust Caesar
12 hours ago, frankblack said:

The same way they got the full ones from the same store. If you can carry a bag of full bottles and cans from a store then why would it be more difficult taking back the empties?

6 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

The same way they got the full ones from the same store. If you can carry a bag of full bottles and cans from a store then why would it be more difficult taking back the empties?

Because SNP

:rofl:

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

These are nothing more then hurdles. 

Why? More needs recycled.

Online shopping- they take your empties away, like they already do with crates.

Why not invest? Why not do both?

Small shops - they'll deal with it easily. Full bottles will be replaced by empty ones in their stock room, they'll be returned on the next visit to the cash and carry.

It's not like Scotland's supply chain or retail arrangements face unique and insurmountable challenges that the rest of the world don't face, it'll be a piece of relative piss to bring in. 

Edited by Smithee

they will need to get the manufacturers on board as there is no barcode on multipack cans or would they be exempt from this deposit?

for me it is a good idea but they need to get the implementation right. going to countries that currently do it (i assume they already have) and getting learning from there is vital. 

this seems like it could start just like the smoking ban and the charge for disposable carrier bags. initial problems and a lack of willingness to do it but as long as it makes a noticeable difference will become like second nature for people

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Because SNP

:rofl:

Incredible that all these other countries manage it, and yet we won't be able to.

Must be because we're too small, too poor and too stupid, presumably?!

33 minutes ago, Cade said:

Barr's glass bottle return worked fine for decades.

This is just widening it to other products and making it national.

The strangest thing about these objections (the "how will people who don't drive get them back to the shop" bit aside--:rofl:) is that Barr was still doing it like three years ago. I was here already when they stopped, ffs. It's nothing new, and if anything I wondered at the time why it wasn't compulsory for all companies.

11 hours ago, frankblack said:

Ok for houses where people are interested and are home when the collectors turn up, but impractical for blocks of flats.

They don’t collect from you. You generally have to take the bottles/cans to them but they have places dotted around so in community centre car parks, supermarket car parks etc. 

2 hours ago, Helzibob said:

They don’t collect from you. You generally have to take the bottles/cans to them but they have places dotted around so in community centre car parks, supermarket car parks  

How do you take your bottles and cans back to online retailers like Ocado?

I do recycle but this half-assed scheme will do a lot of damage.  Its a case of stick before the carrot and nanny state politics.

30 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I do recycle but this half-assed scheme will do a lot of damage.  Its a case of stick before the carrot and nanny state politics.

Dunno how the German's go about doing it but you don't have to take the can or bottle back to the same store you bought it from. 

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, Dunks said:

I can't be the only one that remembers bottle Archie? I thought every town had one :D

Oh aye.........he died just within the last year I think, wonder how much he had in the bank through his collecting? Seen his wife complaining on FB (friend of a friend) that his sisters were beating her up to get money from her.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

Dunno how the German's go about doing it but you don't have to take the can or bottle back to the same store you bought it from. 

When I worked in West Germany we would phone a taxi firm to pick up a crate and deliver it to the flat and they would return our empty crate all for the cost of a local fare and the cost of the crate. We didn't have to carry a crate home, they had easy business, win win.

15 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Don't get me wrong - I see merit in glass recycling this way, but its a joke for cans.  Surely tackling the excessive packaging in supermarkets would be a better start point?

If they want to stop littering they should shut the chippies and fast food outlets near schools at lunchtimes.

Edited by frankblack

52 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Ocado Shopping Basket

13 items

Total £46.96

VAT £9.39

Total including VAT £56.35

Delivery Tues 19:00-20:00

❏ Check here if you have recyclables to return

[16] Quantity

Total £56.35

Recyclables discount £3.20

Final total £53.45

Edited by Justin Z

27 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Ocado Shopping Basket

13 items

Total £46.96

VAT £9.39

Total including VAT £56.35

Delivery Tues 19:00-20:00

❏ Check here if you have recyclables to return

[16] Quantity

Total £56.35

Recyclables discount £3.20

Final total £53.45

Fair play - I have never ordered groceries online.  Having watched Watchdog yesterday you would see why - some appauling hygene conditions in the crates and delivery vans.

How do they calculate a recyclables discount on your bill?    The only reference to recycling I found with them was with carrier bags.

I am curious as how do they keep food and recycling in the same vehicle hygenically.

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Fair play - I have never ordered groceries online.  Having watched Watchdog yesterday you would see why - some appauling hygene conditions in the crates and delivery vans.

How do they calculate a recyclables discount on your bill?    The only reference to recycling I found with them was with carrier bags.

I am curious as how do they keep food and recycling in the same vehicle hygenically.

I mean, this was just a hypothetical on my part. I assume they'd just add values for the returnable items into their code, and if you failed to return the correct number of items they could charge you the difference. I would assume market pressures would compel stores with delivery services to offer recyclables returning, because everyone else would be doing it for a competitive advantage.

That Watchdog segment sounds :nooo:

13 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Boots shops in Glasgow (Sauchiehall St) and Perth have installed machines. 10p voucher to go onto Boots card. 

We might see some more of these to test it out. 

Tesco at Hermiston Gait has this too, just spotted it the other day. 10p a bottle and I think a max of 10 bottles a day. It's not gonna make you rich but a wee bit off your shop is never a bad thing! 

Doctor FinnBarr

A good one that I seen in Horst, Holland was a basketball basket (with a bottom) at the 50km signs on the way into town so that car drivers could toss can/bottles into it rather than chuck them on the verge. No idea if all Dutch towns do this or not

As @Gulpener is in Limburg he can maybe confirm if all towns do it

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders