British teams in Europa League

Morgan

31 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

is one of the most insane takes on Scottish football I have ever heard. 

Let me demonstrate to you how devoid of content that is since you don't appear to realise it amounts to talking and saying nothing. I will give you an equivalent response. 

That's the most inane take on a take on Scottish football I have ever heard.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• neilnunb

• Hearts007

• HMFC01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seymour M Hersh

That was a disappointing night! Lazio looked utterly rubbish in the bits I watched. No idea about Porto but whenever that pair of scummy clubs have decent results you can rest assured it's not good for the rest of us in Scotland

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

You have a word with yourself if that's the height of your hopes and ambitions for Hearts. It wouldn't matter if the OF never qualified for Euro groups, they would still have the same advantage they have always had in Scotland.

The more chances Scotland can get at the Euro pot the better for the league overall. It also raises the profile of the Scottish game which provides leverage for better TV deals. Yet still we have the witless wanting to effectively bite off their own noses to spite their stupid faces.

More name calling and spitting the dummy out when people disagree with you. 

Call folk stupid when you don’t seem to understand the more money the OF make the bigger an advantage they have. 

You clearly say the OF would have the same advantage regardless of how they do in Europe when it is clearly the case they would have an even greater advantage because they would draw in even more money. More cash = bigger advantage. You pretending not to understand that makes you look stupid. 

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Let me demonstrate to you how devoid of content that is since you don't appear to realise it amounts to talking and saying nothing. I will give you an equivalent response. 

That's the most inane take on a take on Scottish football I have ever heard.

Unless the European representatives pay a levy on earnings they make the CL/EL group stages then I don’t see how this benefits the rest of Scottish football much. 

Just means even more funds for the Old Firm to continue their duopoly and the rest to become even further behind.

The Old Firm are beatable domestically sure but it’s not easy and over the course of a season the 12 team league only adds to their advantage.

Co-efficient rising is nice for the rest of us when we have a crack at the EL but it is hardly going to revolutionise Scottish football. 

7 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Aye, let’s get more Scottish teams into Europe so they can embarrass themselves.  There’s only two who aren’t embarrassing themselves in Europe, how will we get a more competitive SPL if they’re potentially going to earn an extra £30-£50m from playing in the UCL?

I couldn’t give a toss about Hearts playing in Europe anymore, it’s pointless, we’re not good enough and we’ll never be good enough.  I’d much rather see us being competitive in the SPL again - that isn’t going to happen if the financial gap with the OF gets even bigger.

Improved TV and sponsorship deals are the key. In fact anything that increases revenue. Even the stupid would get that. The English smashed us at that.

Mercer and McLean were on the right track, but the stupid tribes stopped it.

If you wrestle pigs in shit, after a while you realise they are loving it..

The latest generation have no ambition, just fear of failure.

Hearts should be and MUST be in Europe every season. It’s about ambition. Sevco were playing in Peterhead on a Saturday a few years ago...

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Have to give them some credit. Away wins in Europe are very rare for Scottish sides. Lazio also have one of the most on form strikers in Europe and one of the highest rated young midfielders in football. 

I hate both sides but it’s a smashing result for them and I suppose wider Scottish football.

It's a good result for Celtic , no doubt. 

But the comparison of league positions gives it context for Scottish football in general. 

8 hours ago, Cade said:

"Old Firm getting into the Champion's League group stages and earning £30-50million is a good thing for Scottish football because Hearts might possibly earn £500k from two Europa League qualifiers at some unspecified point in the future thanks to the coefficient"

Have a word with yourselves.

:berra:

Exactly.

FTOF

The Old Tolbooth

European football for the small club is now pretty much ruined ever since they introduced seeding, it used to be much better before this when anyone could meet anyone in the early rounds, and you had a chance of getting somewhere. 

These days, you have Champions League dropouts blocking your path if a small club even dares to get to the final qualifying round, just like when Hearts faced Liverpool and Spurs, and it's like hitting a brick wall due to the difference in finances, it's designed to make the rich richer, and the poor poorer, it sounds like a right Tory tournament these days. 

As for that pair winning last night, meh! 

JFK is making a fair argument in favour of increasing our co-efficient but I think the financial benefits of the OF progressing in Europe (they both earned €1m bonus for a win last night) far outweighs the benefit of us joining the tournament one round later. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

JFK is making a fair argument in favour of increasing our co-efficient but I think the financial benefits of the OF progressing in Europe (they both earned €1m bonus for a win last night) far outweighs the benefit of us joining the tournament one round later. 

Also means one less home game during qualification that we’d probably sell at least 12,000 for :whistling:

11 minutes ago, kila said:

Also means one less home game during qualification that we’d probably sell at least 12,000 for :whistling:

Did someone say “money spinna”??

31 minutes ago, kila said:

Unless the European representatives pay a levy on earnings they make the CL/EL group stages then I don’t see how this benefits the rest of Scottish football much. 

Just means even more funds for the Old Firm to continue their duopoly and the rest to become even further behind.

The Old Firm are beatable domestically sure but it’s not easy and over the course of a season the 12 team league only adds to their advantage.

Co-efficient rising is nice for the rest of us when we have a crack at the EL but it is hardly going to revolutionise Scottish football. 

They do pay a levy !

Hearts, along with other clubs, received £350K for the hooped demons getting to the group stage of the CL two seasons back. 
Fair enough, it’s peanuts compared to what they earned but we benefited nonetheless.

We are one place away from increasing our Euro allocation from four teams to five. It’s all about opinions but I’d rather we were in that mix rather than the LC Groups !

30 minutes ago, Boab said:

They do pay a levy !

Hearts, along with other clubs, received £350K for the hooped demons getting to the group stage of the CL two seasons back. 
Fair enough, it’s peanuts compared to what they earned but we benefited nonetheless.

We are one place away from increasing our Euro allocation from four teams to five. It’s all about opinions but I’d rather we were in that mix rather than the LC Groups !

As things stand we are 14th next season so we will have 5 teams in Europe in 21/22, with 2 in the cl qualifiers

Ex member of the SaS

Watched both games and was bored to tears and nearly switched off a number of times. Only the hope of them losing kept me watching. Can't understand why, when playing in Europe they seem to get utter crap in opposition. What sort of leagues do these clubs play in to get this far being so utter crap.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

European football for the small club is now pretty much ruined ever since they introduced seeding, it used to be much better before this when anyone could meet anyone in the early rounds, and you had a chance of getting somewhere. 

These days, you have Champions League dropouts blocking your path if a small club even dares to get to the final qualifying round, just like when Hearts faced Liverpool and Spurs, and it's like hitting a brick wall due to the difference in finances, it's designed to make the rich richer, and the poor poorer, it sounds like a right Tory tournament these days. 

As for that pair winning last night, meh! 

A 'third tier' European competition is meant to be getting rolled out soon. The problem with this is I can see the Europa League sides that are eliminated being parachuted into this. 

The Europa League will just become a Champions League Division 2 with UEFA looking to get more sides from the major countries into it. 

37 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Watched both games and was bored to tears and nearly switched off a number of times. Only the hope of them losing kept me watching. Can't understand why, when playing in Europe they seem to get utter crap in opposition. What sort of leagues do these clubs play in to get this far being so utter crap.

I got in for the second half of the hun game, fell asleep within 10 minutes

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

A 'third tier' European competition is meant to be getting rolled out soon. The problem with this is I can see the Europa League sides that are eliminated being parachuted into this. 

The Europa League will just become a Champions League Division 2 with UEFA looking to get more sides from the major countries into it. 

That’s what will happen. 8 third placed teams in the EL group stage will then go into a preliminary last 16 of the Conference League.

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

And then what will be the point?

The whole thing about European football for clubs like ours was to hopefully meet the ‘big guns’ eventually and have something to reminisce about, but by being in the proper stages of the competition and not after 3 qualifying rounds then out in August. 

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

And then what will be the point?

The whole thing about European football for clubs like ours was to hopefully meet the ‘big guns’ eventually and have something to reminisce about, but by being in the proper stages of the competition and not after 3 qualifying rounds then out in August. 

I repeat Sevco were playing Peterhead on a Saturday a few short years ago.

we need ambition..

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

Scotland now ranked 16th overall and 5th in the 2019/20 for qualifying for UEFA's competitions. As much as I hate the Old Firm domestically, getting results and progressing in the European competitions eventually turns in to more opportunities for Scottish teams to qualify to play in Europe in future.

That said, we are still sitting 11th in the league so still rules us out....

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, TNCASTLE said:

we need ambition..

Not the best example to use. 😄 

1 hour ago, JamTarts51 said:

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

Scotland now ranked 16th overall and 5th in the 2019/20 for qualifying for UEFA's competitions. As much as I hate the Old Firm domestically, getting results and progressing in the European competitions eventually turns in to more opportunities for Scottish teams to qualify to play in Europe in future.

That said, we are still sitting 11th in the league so still rules us out....

Unless we win the Scottish Cup

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, TNCASTLE said:

we need ambition..

Peterhead, giants they are Tbf. 

9 hours ago, kila said:

If they continue gathering points and Scotland get to a minimum 15th place which currently looks not just likely but probable then from 2021/22 the Scottish cup winners would enter the Europa league at the third qualifying round.

Leaving two 2 legged ties between the entrant and the groups.

If they carry their form from this season into next there is a possibility of rising as high as 10th position which would mean the Scottish cup winners would enter the competition at the play off round. Just one team standing in the way of the groups.

If as expected the OF continue taking the top 2 positions in the league and one of them also wins the Scottish cup the above spots would go to the third placed team in the league.

Footballfirst
30 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

If they continue gathering points and Scotland get to a minimum 15th place which currently looks not just likely but probable then from 2021/22 the Scottish cup winners would enter the Europa league at the third qualifying round.

It is called the 3rd qualifying round, but in reality it is the 1st qualifying round, as all the clubs from the lower ranked countries are consigned to the Europa Conference League.  The EL will therefore be a much more compact competition with a later starting date around the end of July, rather than June.

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It is called the 3rd qualifying round, but in reality it is the 1st qualifying round, as all the clubs from the lower ranked countries are consigned to the Europa Conference League.  The EL will therefore be a much more compact competition with a later starting date around the end of July, rather than June.

Not quite sure what you're saying, but what i'm seeing is that the Europa Conference League would be another chance for a Scottish cup winner if they failed at the Europa league third qualifying round which is in fact where the SC winner would enter.

Europa league third qualifying round: 3 domestic cup winners from associations 13–15 enter at this stage

Europa Conference league final qualifying round: 3 losers from the Europa League third qualifying round for non-champions enter at this stage

So the SC winner will enter the EL at the third qualifying round and if beaten there get a chance at the ECL play off round.

Footballfirst

You can see from the attached that there is no EL QR1 or QR2 from 2021 onwards.

The three cup winners from 13-15 ranked countries will play against losing sides from the CL QR2 (for non champions).  Those non champion losers can be pretty decent sides, e.g. PSV Eindhoven and Viktoria Plzen from this season, as their countries have to be higher ranked to have a second club in the CL qualifiers. 

VPrnBts.jpg

17 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Not quite sure what you're saying, but what i'm seeing is that the Europa Conference League would be another chance for a Scottish cup winner if they failed at the Europa league third qualifying round which is in fact where the SC winner would enter.

Europa league third qualifying round: 3 domestic cup winners from associations 13–15 enter at this stage

Europa Conference league final qualifying round: 3 losers from the Europa League third qualifying round for non-champions enter at this stage

So the SC winner will enter the EL at the third qualifying round and if beaten there get a chance at the ECL play off round.

The Europa Conference League will be a terrible watch! If Hearts got knocked out the Europa League I would not be arsed with another European tournament solely just for the really pish teams. A chance to play a Motherwell or Hamilton from other countries in a group setup? No thanks!

Hopefully Scotland's coefficient rises enough so we retain EL spots instead, and only ever face the ECL as a parachute from EL.

Edited by kila

19 minutes ago, kila said:

Hopefully Scotland's coefficient rises enough so we retain EL spots instead, and only ever face the ECL as a parachute from EL.

I think as it stands Scotland are heading to finish this season in at least 14th position. If the OF continued this seasons form into next that could apparently rise to the lofty heights of 10th.

Especially so if the other entrants contribute something unlike Kilmarnock.

5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

For comparison, here is the Europa Conference League format.

sQqBs9i.jpg

What have Lichtenstein done to offend?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

As far as I am concerned if certain Scottish clubs do well enough in Europe that it means if we are 3rd in the league that we have less qualifying rounds to get to the group stages of the Europa League and are seeded and get into the group stages as a result, and then get home and away games against the likes of Lazio and Porto every or nearly every season then i’d be pretty happy.

If other fans aren’t happy with that and are happy just with endless trips to Hamilton and Paisley every year then fair dues.

We all have the right to an opinion.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

What have Lichtenstein done to offend?

They don't have a league but they do have a cup competition. Their cup winner enters at QR1. 

Big Slim Stylee
8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Tough. There’s someone more clever than you. Dimwit 😀

2 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Tough. There’s someone more clever than you. Dimwit 😀

Indisputably but then it doesn't take much of an intellect to grasp that a dullard like you has nothing to say. Thus through a process of elimination I will find those who can conduct a conversation with actual content.

Around here the elimination process involves the ignore function, you're now eliminated.

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Indisputably but then it doesn't take much of an intellect to grasp that a dullard like you has nothing to say. Thus through a process of elimination I will find those who can conduct a conversation with actual content.

Around here the elimination process involves the ignore function, you're now eliminated.

Admit it - the intellect of a cheap game show host. You’re fired! 😀

• 3 weeks later...

Thursday 28th November 2019

FC Astana v Manchester United

Sporting Braga v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Feyenoord v Rangers

Celtic v Rennes

Arsenal v Eintracht Frankfurt

Head thinks: Wins for Man. Utd, Braga And Celtic with draws in the Rangers game and in the Arsenal game.

Heart wants: Wins for Man. Utd, Wolves, Feyenoord, Rennes and Arsenal.

2 hours ago, eggyg1874 said:

Astana are currently still 14/5 represents decent value, give the squad Man Utd have taken over there

Just started, and had a look at the line up... A team of absolute nobodies and they haven't got anyone of any note on the bench either. 

Kazakhstan is a place plenty of teams struggle with going to, especially because of the time difference and sheer distance. Can easily see a 2 or 3 nil for the home side! 

Edit - Man United have just scored :lol:

Edited by tian447

Going to The Arsenal tonight, our seats are two rows behind where Emery trounces up and down. 

Maybe time to say adios mi amigo. Could get messy. 

Yet, the Gunners are in a great position to proceed in this competition . 

4 hours ago, eggyg1874 said:

Astana are currently still 14/5 represents decent value, give the squad Man Utd have taken over there

Got 16-1 on them after Utd had scored, cheeky wee fiver netted a nice return. :lol:

6 minutes ago, lsimp77 said:

Rangers bottling it in Europe two years in a row, you really do love to see it. 

Don't know if bottling it is the right word, it's a pretty tough group, I didn't think they'd qualify to be honest, still could even if they lose tonight.

5 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Don't know if bottling it is the right word, it's a pretty tough group, I didn't think they'd qualify to be honest, still could even if they lose tonight.

They were top after 3 games last season, lost two of their last three and were joint top after 4 games this season and are currently losing. Bottling might not be the word, but it's still very funny. 

Edited by lsimp77